Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Re: Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th September 2014

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Piece here that nicely sums up Salmond's blathering and arrogance, again, a refusal to answer a rather straight forward question.

And how many times have we read similar sound-bites, fishing could quite as well be easily replaced with ice-cream, sheep farming, ship builders and boy bands.

''Only with independence will Scotland's fishing industry benefit from greater influence, better representation, a fairer deal in funding and quota protection'' Mr Salmond said, predicting the industry would ''flourish'' once free from Westminster''

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -body.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
refitman wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Is anyone else following the DWP Twitter feed? If so is it the genuine article, because if it is, it's absolutely disgraceful....
Unfortunately it is the official twitter account.
And it is absolutely disgraceful. It must breach so many civil service rules on politicization but I'd guess the DWP mandarins know they have no choice now; if (no, when) Labour gets in next May they know it is the high jump for them - expect a rash of 'early retirements'.

Anybody seen Helm's latest poke at Ed, the McCluskey 'warning'. I'm beginning to wonder if Len is a Tory Party sleeper, he seems so determined to rock the boat.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... nick-clegg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hello.

Yes - saw it, read it and thought it was quite non-inflammatory and rather sensible (the thinking of Len McCluskey, that is). I was also surprised that the article wasn't open to comments. The Guardian usually likes to foment anti-Labour and anti-union diatribes. Am I right in thinking that there is no PMQs this coming week? If so, David Cameron will be bitterly disappointed to be missing an opportunity to descend into one of his puce-tinged deranged rambles about Labour's paymasters and the chance to intone the mystic words "Len McCluskey" over and over again. Shame, that . . . .
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ukip claims "mass exodus" of Tory party members

http://www.clactonandfrintongazette.co. ... ?ref=var_0

Another interesting link!

I have no doubt this is true. And it's appalling. The local Tories are going to vote for and give support to the man, not the party.

Do they realise what they're doing? It doesn't seem so.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Sam Freedman's lecture sounds good. Apparently hard to get a ticket for it.

Empty seats were though spotted for Nick Gibb.

Remember when Gibb was made to look very silly by his fellow Tory (and ex-teacher) Andrew Percy who pointed out you couldn't just put an Eton curriculum in front of underprivileged kids. Gibb has no argument against the point, but said something like "that would be terrible because our policy would be wrong".
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:Ukip claims "mass exodus" of Tory party members

http://www.clactonandfrintongazette.co. ... ?ref=var_0

Another interesting link!

I have no doubt this is true. And it's appalling. The local Tories are going to vote for and give support to the man, not the party.

Do they realise what they're doing? It doesn't seem so.
They fell for the same thing leading up to 1997, when they stayed in the Tory party, but took big donations from Paul Sykes if they agreed to oppose John Major's "wait and see" policy on the Euro.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

James Simpson ‏@2ndary_Source 47m
@Samfr reveals that @EducEndowFoundn was a happy policy accident! We've got £100m to spend! Let's blow it on research! #rED14
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:Aimlessly following incidental links as you do on a Saturday afternoon, I came across this beauty...

http://insidecroydon.com/2014/09/03/tor ... -pay-hike/

Well done that local paper. What makes me think they don't like the Tories :clap:
Should have added. They are saying this row could well affect the outcome of the GE in 2015.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Aimlessly following incidental links as you do on a Saturday afternoon, I came across this beauty...

Well done that local paper. What makes me think they don't like the Tories :clap:
Should have added. They are saying this row could well affect the outcome of the GE in 2015.
Demographics should do for Croydon Central. Also could be good UKIP seat.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I see Philip Hollobone wants migrants "stopped before they enter Britain".
Surely, that wouldn't violate anyone's sovereignty.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

PorFavor wrote:Yes - saw it, read it and thought it was quite non-inflammatory and rather sensible (the thinking of Len McCluskey, that is). I was also surprised that the article wasn't open to comments.... .
Oh, I expect it will be by tomorrow, and the usual suspects will be swarming all over it with their usual "holding the strings" jibes.

Helm couldn't resist digs like "cash strapped Labour" (despite the recent indications being that they are doing alright thangyewsomuch); and McCluskey lost me at the point where he said he was going to "demand that Labour govern alone if it wins the election but falls short of an overall majority" (assuming those were really his words and not Helm's interpretation); language like that is just giving ammunition to the likes of Crosby and Shapps.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Does anyone really care about Len McCluskey holding the purse strings?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Demographics should do for Croydon Central. Also could be good UKIP seat.
I don't know if you read the bottom of the article where it mentions The Monster Raving Looney Party? :lol: :lol: :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://industrialreporter.wordpress.com ... continues/

Big turnout for the Save the NHS march which started in Jarrow. And lots of disgust that the BBC and other news channels haven't given it much coverage if any.

What the BBC does is give the protests coverage but in their local section. So a huge march in London won't appear on the Northern pages. And the same in Southern climes if the protests are in the North.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Do you reckon on the 18th of this month all campaigning will cease, like it does on the day of the GE?

If so, 11 days, and counting down. ;)
Officially speaking that is the case, yes.

Though I hear that some are now worried about intimidation and harassment outside polling stations by "yes" supporters :?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Oh No! Another trade unionist selected to become a PPC.

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Do you reckon on the 18th of this month all campaigning will cease, like it does on the day of the GE?

If so, 11 days, and counting down. ;)
Officially speaking that is the case, yes.

Though I hear that some are now worried about intimidation and harassment outside polling stations by "yes" supporters :?
I'd be suspicious of that. How can you intimidate someone into voting the way you want?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Today's astonishing fact. Putin is a loon, and threatens the Baltics.

Spending on Defence in 2013:

Estonia: 2.3%
Latvia: 0.9%
Lithuania: 0.8%
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Man of the people and leader of The People's Army gets low down and personal with Rupe.

It wasn't planned but I was asked to meet the boss-we have met before- and I was happy to oblige. (bet you were) This is an 83-year-old-guy whose finger is firmly on the pulse in British and world politics
Same old, same old.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Oh No! Another trade unionist selected to become a PPC.

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I though the cry on all sides was "we want normal people in parliament ..."?
Well you don't get more normal than Angela :)
I grew up on the Bridge Hall Estate in Stockport — a place not without its challenges. Throughout my life my Mum struggled with mental health problems and life for me, my brother and sister wasn’t the easiest. For the most part, I was raised by my Grandma who worked three jobs to put food on the table and didn't stop until the day she died — three days before her 65th birthday.
Growing up where and when I did has shaped who I am and what I believe.
A parent in my teens, I got a job as soon as I was old enough to. Staying on in education wasn’t something people in our area did and I wanted to make sure my son had a better start in life than I did.
My first job was in care looking after elderly people in their homes. I stayed in that profession for almost a decade and experienced the conditions that often make headlines today — that’s why I joined a trade union.
Over the years I saw how care workers were continually paid below the minimum wage and asked to do more for less. Never one to sit back and stay quiet, I got more involved and trained as a rep. That was my first experience of representing working people.
After years representing people in employment tribunals, negotiating better terms and conditions and delivering improved training for care staff, I was proud to be elected by the people I worked alongside to represent 200,000 public sector workers in the North West as a Unison lay official.
I joined the Labour Party almost a decade ago because it was clear as I represented people case by case, workplace by workplace that bigger change was needed than I could deliver as a rep. That’s why I’m standing to be our MP too.
Policies made in Westminster must be rooted in real life, too often that isn’t the case. Seeing how hard my Grandma had to work for so little, bringing up a family on low pay and representing thousands of working people across our region would bring a much needed dose of common sense and real life experience to the House of Commons.
http://www.angelarayner.com/about_angela" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

If Rupes thinks boosting UKIP is a good idea for him, his figure isn't very near the pulse.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Have to say over on CIF I like the cut of Sickbags jib, he/she is brilliant.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Tubby Isaacs wrote:If Rupes thinks boosting UKIP is a good idea for him, his figure isn't very near the pulse.
Has the old bastard still got one?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Does anyone really care about Len McCluskey holding the purse strings?
Probably not, but as far as I am concerned the man is a complete grade A1 arse.

If he is the best the trades union movement has got they are royally screwed.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Today's astonishing fact. Putin is a loon, and threatens the Baltics.

Putin isn't a loon, he is quite rational. He just wants different things to the west. As for the Baltics Latvia has some nasty little racist policies (IIRC).

But as they are all NATO members they will be fine. To make any meaningful contribution to defence their spending would have to be huge.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Today's astonishing fact. Putin is a loon, and threatens the Baltics.

Putin isn't a loon, he is quite rational. He just wants different things to the west. As for the Baltics Latvia has some nasty little racist policies (IIRC).

But as they are all NATO members they will be fine. To make any meaningful contribution to defence their spending would have to be huge.
They've made a start by buying 123 surplus combat reconnaissance armored vehicles from the Botox Bullingdon boy.

http://www.defencetalk.com/latvian-army ... les-60521/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

TechnicalEphemera wrote:If he is the best the trades union movement has got they are royally screwed.
Thankfully he isn't, not while the likes of Mark Serwotka are still with us (although Bob is sorely missed).

Does anybody care if he holds the purse strings? To be honest I don't think he does, certainly not as much as he thinks he does; but, as I said above, it gives weasels like Shapps ammunition and why should we make it easy for them?
TechnicalEphemera wrote: ..... as far as I am concerned the man is a complete grade A1 arse.
My sentiments entirely.

@letsskiptotheleft

Sickbag is da man!! He does great & mighty work troll slaying, been a fan for a while.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Yes, I know about the anti-Russian stuff.

My point is that NATO is supposed to insist on 2% of GDP. Its raison d'etre is clearly to limit Russia, yet the countries most at threat (if NATO is right) are flagrantly ignoring its 2% (except Estonia).

There was a bizarre Commons debate where Tories (and Hugh Bayley) seemed incredibly unbothered by this, and unquestioning of the 2% target. I thought it wasn't about the amount of money that was spent, with every other area of spending.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

They've made a start by buying 123 surplus combat reconnaissance armored vehicles from the Botox Bullingdon boy.

http://www.defencetalk.com/latvian-army ... les-60521/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, that'll buy them an easy time from Dave the Hawk for a while longer.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Watching Inspector Morse, and reminded of how Greek people used to be considered incredibly exotic and different from us.

That was the early 90s. God knows what they'd have made of all the New Commonwealth communities who were already very well established then in Britain. Majority of school children in Tower Hamlets were already Bangladeshi then, for instance, but can't recall reading much about it at the time. No wonder people think all the exotics came here under Tony Blair.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

This is a 'Toby Goes To Wales' story ... with a twist at the end. Have to say - his attitude is almost enough to bring out a bit of nationalist in me ...
It is very worrying that this bloke is considered by anyone, let alone those in power, to have any credibility regarding education.
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

You're proving his point! Touchy!

He actually says that in his piece.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

RobertSnozers wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Putin isn't a loon, he is quite rational. He just wants different things to the west. As for the Baltics Latvia has some nasty little racist policies (IIRC).

It's not actually clear what the vehicles are, though the most reliable rumours suggest they are from the CVR(T) family (which included the Scimitar and Scorpion light tanks). I believe these have all been retired, though it would be just like Dave to sell off kit that still had life left and was of use to UK forces (see: Harriers).

Edit: we do still have CVR(T) models in service and the projected replacements won't arrive for a number of years, so I do hope these are retired vehicles that are being sold.
It doesn't really matter, I doubt 70s vintage light armour is anything other than a mobile cremation device on the modern battlefield.

They might as well have spent the money on beer. Leaving strategically placed stocks of alcohol around would be quite effective against the Russian army.

A twist on Patton's "Hit em where they ain't."

"Hit em where they ain't sober."
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:If he is the best the trades union movement has got they are royally screwed.
Thankfully he isn't, not while the likes of Mark Serwotka are still with us (although Bob is sorely missed).

Does anybody care if he holds the purse strings? To be honest I don't think he does, certainly not as much as he thinks he does; but, as I said above, it gives weasels like Shapps ammunition and why should we make it easy for them?
TechnicalEphemera wrote: ..... as far as I am concerned the man is a complete grade A1 arse.
My sentiments entirely.

@letsskiptotheleft

Sickbag is da man!! He does great & mighty work troll slaying, been a fan for a while.
I didn't appreciate just how ill Mark Serwotka is
Mark Serwotka: ‘I read on Twitter eight weeks ago that I was dead’
PCS union boss Mark Serwotka needs a heart transplant. Until he gets it, his blood is pumped by a gadget worn on his belt. For the first time, he tells the incredible story of his shocking collapse – and calls for strikes on austerity
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... i-was-dead" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tom Dolphin ‏@thomasdolphin · 4h
.@SadiqKhan tells #NHSMarch @Jeremy_Hunt wld be easy to operate on: gutless, spineless & has interchangeable parts.

:lol!: :lol!:

(Night PF )
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Pembrokeshire County Council's meltdown continues ... and so do the excellent blogs by two properly independent councillors exposing the murk and intrigue (although 'intrigue' makes it sound rather more exotic and appealing than it is.)

This comment BTL on one of the latest blog updates is lovely ... so taking the liberty of posting it here. I'm sure his take on Pembrokeshire's changing definitions has a universal application.
The Rock says:
Friday 5th September, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Pembrokeshire seems to have become the nucleus for accelerated global change. I’ve been reflecting how language evolves with time and how the meanings of words change. Here are just a few draft illustrations of where I think we are and where we seem to be going.

Grant Scheme – A means to be paid for work you don’t need to do.

Transparency – Obscuring/redacting information so it can’t be seen

Regulation – A piece of legislation you only apply when it suits you

Lay Members – Prominent citizens usually totally ignored and bypassed if they don’t toe the ruling party line.

Regret – Phrase used reluctantly to signify you are annoyed that you have been caught out.

Herald – A rolled up publication to be used as an offensive weapon to keep committees in order.

Pension supplement – A tax efficient scheme to dispose of council tax for no beneficial return.

Election Literature – A publication sometimes designed on council equipment but printed no one knows where.

Minute – A written record that never has any similarity to the events that occurred and is liable to be changed over time.

Concerned Whistle blower – A person to be hounded and ridiculed.

EGM – A meeting where officers would charge thousands of pounds more for doing the exact same work they would have to carry out if it was on the agenda of a normal council meeting.

Council Committee SRAs – A means to recycle up to 50% of unearned income back to the exchequer.

Tamping (adjective) – description of an enraged individual, often found in the vicinity of county hall after listening to the council controlling group pontificators and their irrational explanations.

Iffy Youth Worker – A person to be trained in the art of misrepresentation prior to a short period of release into the community followed by a period of incarceration.

Equality – A new type of maths where taking away £5,000 from someone usually providing an essential service is the same as (equals) giving £50,000 to an individual who is not.

Light Bulb – A new form of technology used to switch illuminations on and off.

Citizens – People to be patronised, fleeced, ignored and deceived by those in authority.
http://jacobwilliams.com/6472/pembrokes ... -potatoes/
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Gordon Brown's article in the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/opini ... share&_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:You're proving his point! Touchy!

Touchy? ME? Tell me where you'll be at 7pm tomorra .... and I'll be there to duff you up and prove my point!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Touchy? ME? Tell me where you'll be at 7pm tomorra .... and I'll be there to duff you up and prove my point!
Can I send Toby?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Can I send Toby?
Yeah, send Toby. I'll be sending him back flat packed mind.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I love Huff Post Comedy section.....

David Cameron's Handshake Fail At The NATO Summit Is Both Hilarious And Slightly Heartbreaking

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09 ... ostpopular" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JFBridge
Backbencher

Post by JFBridge »

ephemerid wrote:I have just re-read the Telegraph article from yesterday on "attitude tests"
(I was so cross yesterday I couldn't comment on it for fear of resorting to excessive profanity)

Fester McVile has shown yet again that she is utterly incapable of stringing a coherent sentence together. The woman is a moron.

Now that we have been informed by this stupid harpy that youth unemployment is caused by lack of experience thanks to the "death" of Saturday jobs and paper rounds (both of which still exist), the (clearly foolish) "focus on school work", and that workfare is now "highly sought after", when will we see zero youth unemployment?

If this is to be rolled out to anyone who claims any benefit, what happens if the "attitude" is wrong? Who decides that?
More cod-NLP dangerous crap like the mandatory sham psychometric testing - no doubt to be delivered by some private provider who will call
their staff "counsellors" and who will report back to DWP with negative results of their non-tests so that a sanction can be imposed.

This bloody bunch of fuckwits at DWP should be made to endure what the claimants have to suffer - and all for a pittance which is not enough to live on and which gets taken away in chunks by sanctions, bedroom tax, fines, caps, anything they can dream up to punish us.

God I am sick of it.
Fester McVile - Awful TV presenter turned awful Politician.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:I love Huff Post Comedy section.....

David Cameron's Handshake Fail At The NATO Summit Is Both Hilarious And Slightly Heartbreaking

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09 ... ostpopular" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I saw that. Couldn't find my heart of stone (again), so laughed like a drain; for a so-called PR expert he really does make some appalling gaffes.
JFBridge wrote:Fester McVile - Awful TV presenter turned awful Politician.
Thankfully the Labour Party's ex-TV presenter seems to be a sight better than McVile ....... and will last longer in politics I suspect.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

JFBridge wrote:
ephemerid wrote:I have just re-read the Telegraph article from yesterday on "attitude tests"
(I was so cross yesterday I couldn't comment on it for fear of resorting to excessive profanity)

Fester McVile has shown yet again that she is utterly incapable of stringing a coherent sentence together. The woman is a moron.

Now that we have been informed by this stupid harpy that youth unemployment is caused by lack of experience thanks to the "death" of Saturday jobs and paper rounds (both of which still exist), the (clearly foolish) "focus on school work", and that workfare is now "highly sought after", when will we see zero youth unemployment?

If this is to be rolled out to anyone who claims any benefit, what happens if the "attitude" is wrong? Who decides that?
More cod-NLP dangerous crap like the mandatory sham psychometric testing - no doubt to be delivered by some private provider who will call
their staff "counsellors" and who will report back to DWP with negative results of their non-tests so that a sanction can be imposed.

This bloody bunch of fuckwits at DWP should be made to endure what the claimants have to suffer - and all for a pittance which is not enough to live on and which gets taken away in chunks by sanctions, bedroom tax, fines, caps, anything they can dream up to punish us.

God I am sick of it.
Fester McVile - Awful TV presenter turned awful Politician.
Hi JFB and welcome :)
Agree on McVile...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Another Huff post one - this time for our dog lovers!
This is a happy dog, feel good vid :)

AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Health secretary Jeremy Hunt faces seat challenge from one of country's top doctors
:o :shock: - Not - lol

In other news - Nats are leading the Union by 1% tonight :| (not yet confirmed but being reported)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Talking of Hunt, I might be the only one regularly watching London Live at the moment.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Talking of Hunt, I might be the only one regularly watching London Live at the moment.
Are you Beta testing ? :lol!:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :rofl: