Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th September 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th September 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th September 2023

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morefternoon to anybody about.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Our hearts go out to the impoverished 3.73% of bereaved families who still have to pay some tax after inheriting the family home .

COMMUNISM !

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Looks like the Kipper is going full anti-trans for the next election
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

"Named and shamed", indeed.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Slotherhouse

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15422224/

After seeing the good review this received in the Guardian I was really looking forward to it. A psychotic animatronic sloth murdering sorority girls, what's not to like? As it turned out just about everything. Presumably due to technical limitations we rarely get to see the sloth kill anybody, it's almost always off camera, the humour was lame, and the plot made no sense. Which sounds like a ridiculous criticism to make about a film about a killer sloth but numerous young women were murdered in their rooms at a university and nobody noticed.

All my life I've waited to see a film about a deranged homicidal sloth then when one comes along it's total shit.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

I'm going to have to give it 1/10 and that 1 is only because I got to see a sloth driving a car.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

On a more serious note.

Anger as Labour omits ‘vital’ promise on disability rights from policy document

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/a ... -document/
Labour has broken its promise to implement the UN disability convention into UK law if it wins the next general election, according to confidential party policy documents.

The party was insisting until at least July this year that a Labour government was “fully committed” to incorporating the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) into law.

The pledge was part of the party’s manifesto at the last general election in 2019.

UNCRPD is currently not incorporated into UK law, which means that its protections, including article 19, which provides a right to independent living, and articles on areas such as health, inclusive education and housing, are not legally binding in the UK, although they can influence court decisions.

Labour leader Keir Starmer backed the policy during his leadership campaign in February 2020, telling Disability News Service (DNS): “Before I was elected as an MP, I was a human rights lawyer and I spent a career championing human rights and the work of organisations, including the United Nations.”

And the pledge has been repeated more recently by the party’s shadow minister for disabled people, Vicky Foxcroft.

On last December’s international day of disabled people, she tweeted: “We promise to incorporate the UNCRPD into UK law to tackle discrimination and ensure better support and protection for the most vulnerable.”

And in July, in an email to a disabled campaigner, Foxcroft said: “Regarding your questions on policy, Labour is fully committed to incorporating the UNCRPD into law and working in co-production with disabled people in our entire approach to policy.”

But this week DNS obtained a copy of Labour’s National Policy Forum (NPF) documents, which have not been published.

The documents will form the basis for Labour’s general election manifesto and will be put to the party’s annual conference in Liverpool next month.

Although the NPF document on equality repeats Foxcroft’s pledge on co-production, there is no mention of the promise to incorporate the UN convention into UK law.

Instead, the party says: “We will honour our commitments to the United Nations’ Convention for the Rights of Disabled People and ensure its principles are reflected across government to create policies which remove barriers to equality and focus on disabled people’s representation at all levels of government.”

Kathy Bole, chair of Disability Labour, said she was “angry” that the party had not kept its “vital” promise on the UNCRPD.

Mark Harrison, a member of the steering group of Reclaiming Our Futures Alliance, said: “What we know with this Labour leadership is that the rhetoric doesn’t match the reality.”
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Still there is some good news, Lionel Shriver says she is so disgusted by "woke" Britain that she will be leaving the country soon.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Sun 24 Sep, 2023 10:09 am Looks like the Kipper is going full anti-trans for the next election
I seem to recall Sharron Davies was Amazon from Gladiators and as Herodotus tells us the Amazons had one of their breasts removed to aid in shooting their bows. Sharron however had both her boobs made bigger to appear on Gladiators (allegedly) so clearly had no problem with surgically enhancing herself in a way the ancient Greeks would have found entirely inauthentic for a Saturday tea time TV show.

So maybe someone should doorstep her and ask her what a real Amazon is because ironically the Amazon myth comes from the Greek's interaction with the Scythians in what is now Ukraine. The Scythians were what we would call these days 'gender fluid', some men were brought up as women and some women as men. So she'd be on a bit of a sticky wicket.

There's two sides to this argument, and sooner or later someone is going to have to reach over the divide, but sadly morons like Davies are more interested in widening it egged on by the same kind of people who fought tooth and nail against gay rights. It's sad to see someone of shall we say, limited brains, cynically used in such a way but it was ever thus.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Sun 24 Sep, 2023 11:12 pm
refitman wrote: Sun 24 Sep, 2023 10:09 am Looks like the Kipper is going full anti-trans for the next election
I seem to recall Sharron Davies was Amazon from Gladiators and as Herodotus tells us the Amazons had one of their breasts removed to aid in shooting their bows. Sharron however had both her boobs made bigger to appear on Gladiators (allegedly) so clearly had no problem with surgically enhancing herself in a way the ancient Greeks would have found entirely inauthentic for a Saturday tea time TV show.

So maybe someone should doorstep her and ask her what a real Amazon is because ironically the Amazon myth comes from the Greek's interaction with the Scythians in what is now Ukraine. The Scythians were what we would call these days 'gender fluid', some men were brought up as women and some women as men. So she'd be on a bit of a sticky wicket.

There's two sides to this argument, and sooner or later someone is going to have to reach over the divide, but sadly morons like Davies are more interested in widening it egged on by the same kind of people who fought tooth and nail against gay rights. It's sad to see someone of shall we say, limited brains, cynically used in such a way but it was ever thus.
Well, you know, at least one prominent person is actually making some effort to do this (yes, its your mate Sir Keir)

Predictably, neither "side" in this is happy with this since to them only total victory is acceptable.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 24 Sep, 2023 11:18 pm
Well, you know, at least one prominent person is actually making some effort to do this (yes, its your mate Sir Keir)

Predictably, neither "side" in this is happy with this since to them only total victory is acceptable.
And what precisely has Starmer done to breach this impasse may I ask?

I mean I agree with you about the intransigence of either side but all I've heard from Labour are fence sitting platitudes.

They could very easily take a position yet have failed to do so.

If Starmer is, as you say, making an effort to bridge the gap maybe you could point me towards evidence of him doing so.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »