Boxing Day 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Boxing Day 2014

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Spacedone wrote:Snowing heavily here now and settling. The local bookies must be laughing tonight... 1 day too late for those Christmas bets.

My food delivery tomorrow is probably scuppered if it keeps on like this.
Hope you've got enough leftovers to be creative with ... or plenty of stuff in the cupboard that needs using up.
Working on the wild side.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It was snowing in Stoke a couple of hours ago - great big snow flakes & a cold wind. I think it's merely periodic gale-force rain at this juncture.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Dear friends @LeagueACS is having a Boxing Day tweet storm between 8 & 9 pm, keep the fox hunting ban and #keepcrueltyhistory pls RT

#keepcrueltyhistory
I can see I'm going to have to join up post Christmas. These are urgent and important times. Thank you AAW for keeping with it.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Spacedone wrote:Snowing heavily here now and settling. The local bookies must be laughing tonight... 1 day too late for those Christmas bets.

Hope you've got enough leftovers to be creative with ... or plenty of stuff in the cupboard that needs using up.
Don't worry there's a local Nisa food shop about 1 minute walk from my house. I was just hoping for something other than pizza and ready meals.

Also I checked the weather report this morning and went and bought some bread and milk as soon as I saw the words "heavy snow". You have to get up pretty early in the morning to panic buy faster than me. :rock:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I "liked" that - but didn't mean I like the idea of your food delivery not turning up ! :lol:
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

ohsocynical wrote:So --- Who's getting snow? Rain here :(
Swap you our snow for your rain. Ohso. I hate it. Beginning to lie quite thickly too :(
Smart has the plans, but stupid has the stories.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Swap you our snow for your rain. Ohso. I hate it. Beginning to lie quite thickly too :(
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Cybernats!

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... abour-edge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Evening all,

Rain here too. Endless sodding rain. My cousin is over from Oz though and staying with her half brother in The Wirral. She posted some pics of her in the snow earlier and says it was her first ever white Christmas. Given she's in her 60's she's pretty excited. :D
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Apologies for the double post. Don't know what happened there :oops:
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Rain here too. But Mr Riots is hunched over his laptop right now - eating a cheese sandwich - looking to see where the snow is falling closest to us. He'll be urging us to drive into the snowy hills tomorrow - I know him. He's like those people who chase storms only with snow.
I'll be doing that as well. Hats off off to Mr Riots.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Just very cold mizzle here in leafytwiggy SW London :(
Hope @Spacedone's food delivery gets through!
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Snow in Derbyshire. A couple of inches so far.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

So, Nigel is The Times ''Briton of the Year'' nice to know satire hasn't quite died.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Some big fat snow in Shrewsbury this afternoon but it was wet before and after so it's all gone.
I still believe in a town called Hope
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Totally selfish because I don't have to work or go out in it, but I do love a good fall of snow :)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Cybernats are still unable to understand how oil losses now might affect Scotland in 2016/7.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

If ever you needed a reason to keep the hunting ban
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -Hunt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

It's steadily snowing, like a dusting, it's thick on the ground - Stoke.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Totally selfish because I don't have to work or go out in it, but I do love a good fall of snow :)
Me too. My partner & I don't drive. As long as we're properly fed, fitted out & prepared, it's often a more pleasant hiking commute in the snow than otherwise.

Visiting the relatives in Bury tomorrow - post holiday guests - we are - staying a few days. The vision of wind turbines is in my head.

edited to add we're most certainly not hiking to Bury tomorrow - train.
Last edited by citizenJA on Fri 26 Dec, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Homemade mince pies coming out of the oven now.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Well I see from the other Telegraph article on hunting that the bloodthirsty ones are expecting EVEL to deliver their permission to kill for fun again ... a majority of English and Welsh MPs want hunting back apparently. Shame that Cameron's EVEL plans also ban Welsh MPs from voting on some issues ... be interesting to see if hunting is part of 'rural affairs' and therefore devolved.

Folks ... all these articles ... all this stuff that is being spouted is part of the Countryside Alliance strategy. They will - no doubt - be promising lots of election support and volunteer activists to Cameron if he guarantees hunting will come back ... meanwhile they will trot out all manner of articles pretending they are concerned about all manner of cosy cuddly and earnest rural matters ... try to get themselves seen as the voice of rural people and the countryside - which they are not, they're really not. I would so like Simon Hart MP to lose his seat in Carmarthenshire ... but I don't think he will. He's been one of the main proponents of all this.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

More fun with Cybernats.

How could anyone refuse Scotland all the tax powers they want etc?

Quite easily- race to the bottom. No thanks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Snow in the area turned to rain a couple of hours ago. Took the 4x4 to our friends in case but didn't need it. Still the kids managed to build a mini snowman.
Release the Guardvarks.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Cybernats are still unable to understand how oil losses now might affect Scotland in 2016/7.
Because they support a single-policy party (SNP), they have absolutely no concept of how two fundamentally different parties (Lab & Con) can agree on a one policy (independence) but not others.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:More fun with Cybernats.

I give up on the CyberNats.

Their economic policy is a shambles.

Their only goal is independence.

They are prepared to let Scotland burn to achieve that goal.

Why is anybody listening? I actually think Murphy is going to kick their arses in 2015.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Over 80% of Tory 'free schools' couldn't fill all their places, figures reveal
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ov ... ls-4879661
Just 17% of the Tory flagship free schools which opened this year actually managed to fill all of their places. A quarter were not even half full. Two in London opened with 15 pupils each.

But Ministers still give out huge sums of cash to them, based on earlier estimates of how many pupils would enrol.

And the project, launched by former Education Secretary Michael Gove, has left schools in other parts of the country in crisis, say Labour.

Shadow Education Secretary Tristram Hunt raged: “David Cameron has created a crisis in school places.

“He has diverted millions away from children in areas with a shortage of school places in order to open ‘pet project’ free schools in areas where there are already enough places.”...

Many had far fewer pupils than promised when bidding for taxpayers’ cash. Labour said Discovery School in Newcastle opened with a third of the number predicted – 120 out of 360.

Harris Academy Tottenham, north London, opened with 58 pupils of 240. The Gatwick School, West Sussex, had 48 out of 180 at the start of term.

And Park Community School in Merton and Trinity Academy in Lambeth both admitted just 15...
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:More fun with Cybernats.

I give up on the CyberNats.

Their economic policy is a shambles.

Their only goal is independence.

They are prepared to let Scotland burn to achieve that goal.

Why is anybody listening? I actually think Murphy is going to kick their arses in 2015.
I disagree with your comment on their economic policy. It's not a shambles, it's non-existent. :)
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Nice piece of Ukip frankness:
It was one of these “did he really say that?” moments when David Coburn, who – thanks to the wonders of proportional representation – represents all Scotland in the European Parliament, was holding forth to Rory Bremner.
Coburn was much against the “authoritarianism” of advising people what they should smoke, eat or drink. Bremner pointed to low life expectancy in parts of Glasgow to which the voice of Ukip replied: “Better a short and happy life than a long and dreary one”.
The article, by Brian Wilson, will of course start another CyberNat storm.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/brian-wils ... -1-3644578