Boxing Day 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Boxing Day 2014

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index. ... objective/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is an interesting piece on the England votes. You can predict the future spin applied pushing for EVEL using these figures.
The big, big surprise for me reading the stats was Lib Dems getting 6M votes v Labour's 7M.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: Boxing Day 2014

Post by StephenDolan »

' The Conservatives’ planned fiscal consolidation would drive household debt/income up to higher than it was immediately before the 2007-8 financial crisis. By 2020, it would be over 180%, mainly due to rising house prices. And this would be unequally distributed over the population. The old would remain asset-rich and largely debt-free: the burden of the increased debt would fall predominantly on the young, many of whom would face even higher debt/income ratios. This cannot possibly be sustainable.

I said recently that there wouldn’t be another financial crisis until we had entirely forgotten about the last one. But it seems that politicians have already forgotten about it. The 2008 crisis was not caused by foreigners refusing to fund government deficits. It was caused by foreigners refusing to fund excessive private sector debt – debt that politicians now wish to increase in order to “fix the public finances”. '
http://www.pieria.co.uk/articles/be_car ... mr_cameron" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

A sensible idea.

Labour challenges Cameron and Farage to rule out repeal of foxhunting ban

http://gu.com/p/44eg2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:A sensible idea.

Morning. And they've re put up that nasty, reeking of entitlement to kill wildlife because we can and we're better than you, article that they published early by mistake last week and took down.
Leave us ‘toffs’ to hunt legally in peace
Labour’s ban has nothing to do with animal welfare: it is class war directed at the thousands, like me, who will again be out in our red coats today

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -red-coats
Working on the wild side.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Morning. And they've re put up that nasty, reeking of entitlement to kill wildlife because we can and we're better than you, article that they published early by mistake last week and took down.
Labour’s ban has nothing to do with animal welfare: it is class war directed at the thousands, like me, who will again be out in our red coats today

I notice that they haven't reopened the comments on Kite's piece.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

They have - and I can't work out why - the comments are still closed on it. Probably because Melissa Twitface got a pasting BTL.
Not much of a toff, that Melissa. The coats are pink, according to the hunt. Fancy not knowing that!

Anyone would think that hunting has stopped. It hasn't, not really.

More stuff about what Tories stand for would be welcome.

We found out yesterday what one UKIP funder stands for - sacking his workforce on Christmas Day.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Apologies to anyone here who is religious - no offence intended. It seems horribly apt though, doesn't it.
The Plebs Prayer.jpg
The Plebs Prayer.jpg (56.51 KiB) Viewed 17744 times
Pleb gate has really stuck. The Tories won't undo that one. We received a Christmas card which has just a large red festive PLEB on the front spelled out with red balloons and glitzy strings .....

Editing to spell spelled correctly ... had flour on the brain, obviously.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Fri 26 Dec, 2014 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ephemerid wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

They have - and I can't work out why - the comments are still closed on it. Probably because Melissa Twitface got a pasting BTL.
Not much of a toff, that Melissa. The coats are pink, according to the hunt. Fancy not knowing that!

We found out yesterday what one UKIP funder stands for - sacking his workforce on Christmas Day.
I despise Kite, worst sort of journo, no interest in anything outside her stupid little bubble. My horse is brighter than her.

You can drag hunt, it is better sport because there is less buggering about looking for foxes. You ride horses as fast as possible and jump over lots of insane barriers.

I have never done it, because I value my life.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning.

The Resolution Foundation have been crunching some numbers as regards the freezing of the work allowance.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 44953.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Woah hold the presses, and remember folks this is not April 1st.

Huge airlift required to get emergency food to Japan. You guessed it they ran out of chips.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... alds-japan
Release the Guardvarks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index. ... objective/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is an interesting piece on the England votes. You can predict the future spin applied pushing for EVEL using these figures.
The big, big surprise for me reading the stats was Lib Dems getting 6M votes v Labour's 7M.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, we can be fairly confident that won't be the case next year ;)

Hope everybody had a good day yesterday :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:Morning.

The Resolution Foundation have been crunching some numbers as regards the freezing of the work allowance.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 44953.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They haven't factored in Labour's pledge to raise the minimum wage in this article, which would have been useful as I'm not sure how that would effect people's tax credits in relation to Labour's 10p tax rate. Also doesn't Universal Credit operate on net income whilst the current system operates on gross income? Does that mean people moving to universal credit will be disadvantaged in relation to those left behind in terms of raising the tax threshold? This article is interesting, but too simplistic. For one thing it talks about Universal Credit as if it's actually going to happen, which is somewhat optimistic, so not a good indicator of what people can really expect over the next 5 years.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Happy Boxing Day everyone, btw :!:
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Morning. And they've re put up that nasty, reeking of entitlement to kill wildlife because we can and we're better than you, article that they published early by mistake last week and took down.

I despise Kite, worst sort of journo, no interest in anything outside her stupid little bubble. My horse is brighter than her.

You can drag hunt, it is better sport because there is less buggering about looking for foxes. You ride horses as fast as possible and jump over lots of insane barriers.

Yes, drag hunting - that's why the job losses argument never stacked up. So far as I can see, you'd need as many (if not more) people (and the same number of dogs and horses) to service the drag hunting "industry" as the other sort of hunting. And the excitement/danger element, or whatever it is that people are looking for, is still present. It's really the absence of the delight of killing something that the hunting fraternity seem to regret, however they might try to wrap it up as something else.

Good morning, everyone.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

PorFavor wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ephemerid wrote: They have - and I can't work out why - the comments are still closed on it. Probably because Melissa Twitface got a pasting BTL.

Yes, drag hunting - that's why the job losses argument never stacked up. So far as I can see, you'd need as many (if not more) people (and the same number of dogs and horses) to service the drag hunting "industry" as the other sort of hunting. And the excitement/danger element, or whatever it is that people are looking for, is still present. It's really the absence of the delight of killing something that the hunting fraternity seem to regret, however they might try to wrap it up as something else.

Good morning, everyone.
I guess there is also an element that a large uncontrolled fox population would be a significant issue for farmers. But I fail to see why you have to use dogs to kill them.

And fundamentally the act doesn't stop drag hunting, and it doesn't stop the control of foxes. I think much of this is the landed gentry being outraged that little people are telling them what they can't do.

It has been downhill all the way for these people ever since they introduced rules protecting poor people's kids.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote: I guess there is also an element that a large uncontrolled fox population would be a significant issue for farmers. But I fail to see why you have to use dogs to kill them.

And fundamentally the act doesn't stop drag hunting, and it doesn't stop the control of foxes. I think much of this is the landed gentry being outraged that little people are telling them what they can't do.

It has been downhill all the way for these people ever since they introduced rules protecting poor people's kids.
Hi TE - as someone has pointed out BTL on the G article - the lie is given to foxes out of control argument by hunts people being caught deliberately feeding foxes and/or caging up foxes from elsewhere and releasing them in their area just before the hunt starts ..... all on camera ... because they want to ensure they have a fox to kill. Disgusting.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: I guess there is also an element that a large uncontrolled fox population would be a significant issue for farmers. But I fail to see why you have to use dogs to kill them.

Hi TE - as someone has pointed out BTL on the G article - the lie is given to foxes out of control argument by hunts people being caught deliberately feeding foxes and/or caging up foxes from elsewhere and releasing them in their area just before the hunt starts ..... all on camera ... because they want to ensure they have a fox to kill. Disgusting.
True dat. Been known for years that farmers ensure that there are sufficient foxes to please their masters (the hunt) who'll pay them compensation for riding over their land. I grew up in Cheshire and saw the Cheshire Hunt on various occasions. It all struck me, even as a small child, as being monumentally pointless and pretty cruel on all but the riders.

If it's ever relegalised, I will happily become a hunt sab.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Oh my! A serialisation of Good Omens on Radio 4!

Happy Christmas one and all....http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04knt4h
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:Morning.

Thanks for the link, A.

Well over a year ago, the splendid Declan Gaffney crunched the numbers as they existed then (I wrote about it here) and he said that the vast majority of UC claimants would lose 75 pence in every pound of gross pay earned. He was right then and he's right now.

Under the tax credits system, depending on hours worked and the rate of pay, people can lose between 65 pence and 90 pence in the pound - but if they lose quite a lot because their earnings are very low, they invariably end up getting more Housing Benefit.
The £5BN extra we spend on HB each year since 2010 is not due to higher rents (which haven't risen as much as the HB spend) and since 2010 we have 400,000 more working people claiming HB and the amount they claim has increased too. Including HB in the total UC payment is likely to lead to more people getting into arrears with their rent.

UC was supposed to make work pay (work has always paid, in fact, just not a lot) and IDS has been pretending for a long time that his new plaything would make work pay more. Anyone with a brain knew that it would pay less, and that was before Osborne decided to freeze the work allowance. Now that he has, no working person will be better off on UC than they are now on tax credits - but of course they will be subject to the sanctions system so a significant cohort can guarantee they'll be much worse off.

The problems with UC are legion and I doubt it will ever be rolled out nationwide - even if the Tories get in. The lies told about it by IDS are getting beyond a joke - despite what he says, the Treasury has still declined to sign off the business case (mainly because their IS no business case) and the alleged projected savings (which were always dubious) dwindle by the day.

It's a mess.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Hobiejoe wrote:Oh my! A serialisation of Good Omens on Radio 4!

Happy Christmas one and all....http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04knt4h
I tried it at the start of the week but had to give up: it's not a book that works on radio for me, no matter how good the performers. I hope you enjoy it though.
The truth ferret speaks!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Morning, everyone.

My jaw is still on the floor after reading the 'Toff' article by Kite.
The comments below the line are mostly magnificent, thought-provoking, precise & coherent.
Tories below the line are so embarrassed by her over-the-top, gum-swallowing piece of work they've denounced their heritage, membership & support of all things Tory. Okay, that's not true but commentators I've steadily found nothing in common with are united in agreeing Kite's article is an embarrassment.

Kite's fundamentally challenging democracy. She's complaining she has to obey the law. So bereft of any reasonable justification for hunting down foxes, she attempts diversion by class warfare declaration.
"Whether or not you own the title to the land, you don't own the wildlife - if that belongs to anyone, it belongs to all of us. It's called democracy. ...the will of the people can be pretty annoying at times - but I can't bring myself to regard the right to slaughter wild animals that don't belong to you, in the manner of your choosing, as a major civil rights issue."
http://discussion.theguardian.com/comme ... k/45406408

I've chosen just one of the comments below the line above. I will also point out, as others have, it's dangerous to subject the area to activity of this kind. It's not safe for people to be allowed to engage in this kind of activity. Try going on a nice hike, Kite, or safely ride on your horse, dressed smartly, if you choose. Keep your marauding sport the hell out the public way.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Woah hold the presses, and remember folks this is not April 1st.

Huge airlift required to get emergency food to Japan. You guessed it they ran out of chips.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... alds-japan
I'm glad someone has their eye on the essentials.

Christ damn.

Human beings left in poverty & frightening uncertainty is a choice, a decision made, policies enacted, or through indifferent narcissism by people in positions of power, wealth & influence.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Good Afternoon and Seasons Greetings to all. I have been in a hotel in Chelmsford since Christmas Eve so have been unable to contribute to the discussion.
With regard to the closure of City Link many will not realise that its downfall was caused in part by the privatisation of the railways!
City Link was originally formed as an agent to top and tail Red Star parcels from station to final destination and was extremely successful at providing a same day courier service and paid the BRB many millions of pounds each year for the privilege.
Eventually it was replaced as provider of choice by Red Star with a joint (public/private) venture (Road Express) which was supposed to profit share. It made handsome profits but principally for the private partners and very little for British Railways Board (that's another story but was covered by an episode of C4 Dispatches many years ago) .
Anyway Citylink continued to benefit from an advantageous rate from Red Star for the Station to Station element of Red Star right up to privatisation when the fragmented railway and its individual railway companies decided not to continue with parcels on trains (despite it making in the 1990s many millions of pounds of profit which went to the BRB and in practice reduced fares for all). Another service that disappeared because of the privatisation and most particularly because of the way the railway was fragmented.
So I blame John Major!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:' The Conservatives’ planned fiscal consolidation would drive household debt/income up to higher than it was immediately before the 2007-8 financial crisis. By 2020, it would be over 180%, mainly due to rising house prices. And this would be unequally distributed over the population. The old would remain asset-rich and largely debt-free: the burden of the increased debt would fall predominantly on the young, many of whom would face even higher debt/income ratios. This cannot possibly be sustainable.

I said recently that there wouldn’t be another financial crisis until we had entirely forgotten about the last one. But it seems that politicians have already forgotten about it. The 2008 crisis was not caused by foreigners refusing to fund government deficits. It was caused by foreigners refusing to fund excessive private sector debt – debt that politicians now wish to increase in order to “fix the public finances”. '
http://www.pieria.co.uk/articles/be_car ... mr_cameron" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Excellent article, Stephen, someone help me here please. This quote from the Pieria link -
So if UK politicians succeed in their ambition to eliminate the government deficit, then unless they also eliminate the trade deficit, the UK’s private sector will necessarily have to take on more debt.
(my bold)

What does eliminating the trade deficit in conjunction with eliminating the UK's government deficit look like?

That question above stands on its own. Please explain it without taking into consideration what I've written below.

Santa put this in my stocking -
A UK government mindful of protecting & cultivating the well-being of people & the country would redecorate the country from top to bottom with new communications, housing, renewable energy, public transportation infrastructure. Fund that with the wealth of the nation in a safe & sane repayment plan from the workers creating this civilised nation now in time for their retirement then.

Boo-yeah.

Love,
CitizenSC
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Farage At The Hunt.jpg
Farage At The Hunt.jpg (42.92 KiB) Viewed 17486 times
Because he's such an anti Establishment figure. Ukip the party of protest, the party of the ordinary people ... eh? :roll:
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I have just re-tweeted a copy of a leaked piece of correspondence between DWP and the Daily Mail.

I have no reason to think it is a spoof or a forgery; if it's real, and I think it probably is, then it's proof that Mail journos are on first-name terms with people at the DWP Press Office, both parties discuss articles etc. over the 'phone, and DWP passes on information.

Those of you who Tweet, could you RT to your followers too? Thanks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Karen Danczuk ‏@KarenDanczuk 7h7 hours ago
Good morning - someone's feeling in a giddy mood. I'm just puckering up to Honey the teddy! KD #BoxingDay pic.twitter.com/cayMYVv839
https://twitter.com/KarenDanczuk/status ... 65/photo/1

Otto English
‏@Otto_English
Seriously - what the hell are you doing? @KarenDanczuk
The Danczuks certainly deserve each other.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Good afternoon all, I hope everyone has had/is having a relaxing festive time.
Interesting to see just who is bankrolling Ukippery - wonder why they do it? What's in it for them?
Top 10 donors who bankrolled UKIP in 2014
http://www.londonlovesbusiness.com/busi ... 41.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Just looked at MrsD twitter page (from link above) and see she's posed for The Sun ? WTF?
Westminster WAG Mrs Selfie becomes Mrs Elfie
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 41225-News" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ian McMillanVerified account
‏@IMcMillan
A bird just flew by the window like punctuation fired from a catapult.

Because he's just ... well, he is, isn't he ...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Just looked at MrsD twitter page (from link above) and see she's posed for The Sun ? WTF?
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 41225-News" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes - I was rendered almost speechless by it ... other than 'pass the sick bag mother' - and somehow I think Simon Danczuk thinks this makes him a true man of the people. It just makes the pair of them pretty tasteless IMO.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

David Cameron’s plans to bring back fox hunting show how out of touch he is with people’s everyday lives
Maria Eagle, Labour’s Shadow Environment Secretary, responding to news that the Tories plan to legalise fox hunting if they win the next election said:

"David Cameron’s plans to bring back fox hunting show how out of touch he is with people’s everyday lives. The Tories should get over their narrow obsession with fox hunting and accept that the ban is widely supported.

"David Cameron should be focusing on the real issues facing rural communities like rising utility bills, low pay and disappearing bus services."

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1062279 ... ox-hunting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

AngryAsWell wrote:Just looked at MrsD twitter page (from link above) and see she's posed for The Sun ? WTF?
They seem to be marketing themselves as some sort of 21st century Neil & Christine Hamilton, don't they. V depressing.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Ephemerhid

The DWP regularly give the Wail prior information ,most notoriously a few years back they had block booked a court in Birmingham for benefit fraud cases ,the Wail were there waiting :-

http://masondixonautistic.blogspot.co.u ... scene.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

LadyCentauria wrote:
They seem to be marketing themselves as some sort of 21st century Neil & Christine Hamilton, don't they. V depressing.
I am - truly - not a prude, but she IS a councillor for heavens sake! and at a time of austerity to be littering her page with photos of an abundant lifestyle, slightly risky posed photo's and her own business promotions seems somehow obscene. Its not even as though she ever posts anything about her council work or constituents problems. There surely must be some professionalism and obligations in taking on a roll of councillor ?
If she were a Tory or Ukipper I'd be outraged, but kind of half expecting it.
As she is a Labour councillor I'm even more outraged. Stand down and do what you like by all means, even embarrass your Labour MP husband if that's what you want, but this whilst in office? No.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

So --- Who's getting snow? Rain here :(
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

credit to OP.
Squeaker wrote:More strange goings on at Durham Free School, Mr Squeaker told me it's Head was nowhere to be seen during the last week of term.

Turns out the Governors have sacked him
http://www.durhamtimes.co.uk/news/11686 ... _its_head/

But he doesn't want to go
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... ol-8345666

Carry On Educating!
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

ohsocynical wrote:So --- Who's getting snow? Rain here :(
Well outside my hotel bedroom window in Chelmsford its pouring with rain.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Rain here as well, glad to say new flat roof (forgot to mention leaking roof a couple of weeks ago) seems to be good - phew.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Changing Britain Together
Our manifesto will lay out a vision for the future – and we want the insights and passions of the Labour community to help shape and define it.

We’ve just published a summary of some of the key policies we've announced already, which you can read here: http://www.labour.org.uk/our-policies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Help shape our 2015 manifesto by joining one of our supporter panels on five key issues. First, contribute your views and ideas online. Next, we’ll be inviting a group of supporters on each panel for a round-table discussion with the Shadow Cabinet member responsible for that issue.

If you have experience, expertise or strong views on one or more of these five issues, then click on the button to join our supporter panel:
http://www.labour.org.uk/pages/changing ... n-together" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Snowing in Brum according to the football commentary
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rain here too. But Mr Riots is hunched over his laptop right now - eating a cheese sandwich - looking to see where the snow is falling closest to us. He'll be urging us to drive into the snowy hills tomorrow - I know him. He's like those people who chase storms only with snow.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:@Ephemerhid

The DWP regularly give the Wail prior information ,most notoriously a few years back they had block booked a court in Birmingham for benefit fraud cases ,the Wail were there waiting :-

http://masondixonautistic.blogspot.co.u ... scene.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for that, A.

I used to read this blog a lot and I missed that one somehow.

Disgraceful.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Farage on Friday: Labour are trying to turn hunting issue into class warfare

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/548794 ... ox-hunting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:fire:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Snowballs flying in the street here!
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Main headline over at The Guardian:
Labour set for a bloodbath in Scotland in general election, poll says
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... estminster
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Snowing heavily here now and settling. The local bookies must be laughing tonight... 1 day too late for those Christmas bets.

My food delivery tomorrow is probably scuppered if it keeps on like this.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

danesclose wrote:Main headline over at The Guardian:
Labour set for a bloodbath in Scotland in general election, poll says
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... estminster
Meh. As I discussed on a number of occasions with Notso, the problem with national polls is that you are asking 1000-2000 people what they think, extrapolating the results and pretending it means something (despite his constant protestations to the contrary he really did try to maintain that 2000=7 million); until we get some proper in depth, serious regional polling in Scotland a la Ashcroft all talk of Labour's meltdown in Scotland is just so much meeja hot air. I'm not saying there isn't an issue, because plainly there is, but I'm not buying a wipeout on the scale proclaimed by the cybernats.

Evening all. Raining. Quite liked Good Omens. Really liked Cabin Pressure.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Dear friends @LeagueACS is having a Boxing Day tweet storm between 8 & 9 pm, keep the fox hunting ban and #keepcrueltyhistory pls RT

#keepcrueltyhistory
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Changing Britain Together
Our manifesto will lay out a vision for the future – and we want the insights and passions of the Labour community to help shape and define it.

We’ve just published a summary of some of the key policies we've announced already, which you can read here: http://www.labour.org.uk/our-policies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Help shape our 2015 manifesto by joining one of our supporter panels on five key issues. First, contribute your views and ideas online. Next, we’ll be inviting a group of supporters on each panel for a round-table discussion with the Shadow Cabinet member responsible for that issue.

If you have experience, expertise or strong views on one or more of these five issues, then click on the button to join our supporter panel:
http://www.labour.org.uk/pages/changing ... n-together" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wooooo hoooooo...this is great news.
We will create more high-skilled, better-paying jobs, by:
cutting taxes for Britain's small businesses
creating a British Investment Bank to ensure businesses get the finance they need to grow
investing in new green technologies like wind farms — creating a million new high-skilled, well-paid jobs for the future
(my bold)

Thank you.