Wednesday 4th October 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 4th October 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 4th October 2023

Post by frog222 »

Morning refit
I watched a couple of minutes on twittr, well done Channel4 !

Some of the same people may well have bee partying again last night, evil thoughts of hangovers from the Pol Roger and covid from all the cuddling have been transmitted .

Apparently Master Rish! had many of those from his selfie-seeking fans ...

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

This is from May 2022 and virtually nothing has been done about the school environment since.

( It covers the whole story of government incompetence and venality too!) -

Martin McKee: Beyond “following the science”: value judgements and transparency in pandemic decision-making
" School teachers were also ignored. They saw guidance being sent out on Sunday nights to be implemented Monday morning; there was a failure to provide support for remote learning; and a failure to appreciate airborne nature of virus, long after evidence was clear, and as a result a failure to invest in ventilation and filtration. The Government did not seem to understand the challenges of teaching in person and online, and its impact on workload and burnout. And there was a lack of appreciation of challenges of running a school with high rates of absence of children and staff. This was not helped by disingenuous activities from some UK paediatricians who were in denial about major role of schools in transmission of infection and risks to children. One teacher said: “The DfE goes on television promising all sorts and telling people this is going to happen – but it is left for the schools and the parents to pick up the pieces when it doesn’t.” "
https://ukpandemicethics.org/blog/marti ... on-making/

Now, English school policy is the compulsory infection of all the little dears with an FPN for parents who keep them at home .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

extra history for Captain Penny !

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

So then, the PM says he is offering "change" and the last 13 years of Tory government are nothing to do with him.

I know that Johnson said similar last time and a depressingly large number of people bought it, but he had the charisma and chutzpah to pull it off.

Spreadsheet Sunak, not so much.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Looks like they've kinda found those hospitals they keep banging on about
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Who is that actually going to impress, though?

Surely all it will do is draw attention to another Tory promise that wasn't fulfilled.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

https://reaction.life/mark-bostock-has- ... about-hs2/
Mark Bostock, a former Arup consultant who successfully led the construction of HS1 from St Pancras to the Channel Tunnel and a former client of ours, would have had a few things to say about it. Sadly he passed away in August but he has been proven totally right about HS2. In fact, it is the greatest vindication in UK transport policy since promoters of the Stockton & Darlington Railway said it would be better than relying on canals.

Mark led a proposal on behalf of Arup which would have seen HS2 go via a different route. It would link up with HS1 north of St Pancras. The route would have gone via a hub station connecting with Heathrow and the Great Western Railway near Iver. As now, the route would come into Old Oak Common, but never come into Euston which is simply too small. I can hear him saying now “They’ve got the alignment wrong, the most important decision in a railway. It is going to be a disaster.”

Mark and his associate Steve Costello also recommended the HS2 alignment follow the M40 corridor to minimise environmental impacts. He warned, correctly, that the target speed of 400kph was far too fast on such a small island and that 300kph (185mph) would do. HS2’s high design speed (since reduced) necessitates an arrow-straight route through the widest part of the Chilterns, excessive tunnelling and such high design-specification that the costs have escalated dramatically. The energy demands at such high speeds are also astronomical.

His other recommendations – born of his experience of HS1 – included that construction should have been started in the North, not the south, as this delivered the most economic benefits in the right sequence. Terminal stations should be avoided and instead hub through-stations connecting with the existing infrastructure preferred, as at Stratford (his idea with HS1, which helped make the 2012 Olympics possible). These stations deliver the most economic benefits. Terminal stations are gradually being phased out in Europe, including at Stuttgart and in Florence, at considerable expense.
Sounds about right.

But we've spent all that money on the crappiest part of the project and it is now a sunk cost.
Should have no bearing at all on whether we do the Northern part.
Standing behind a lectern saying 'long-term decisions' when everybody knows they've only max 1 year left. Making room in the manifesto for tax cuts that'll be about as convincing as the 'alternative projects' they'd spend the HS2 savings on, knowing they'll lose anyway.
There should be a law against it.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The Labour party has issued a response to Rishi Sunak’s speech saying he can’t run the country because he cannot even run his own party. In a statement Pat McFadden, Labour’s national campaign coordinator, said:

After 13 years and five Tory prime ministers, Rishi Sunak’s latest desperate attempt to reset his weak leadership and divided government won’t fool the British public who are looking at Tory failures all around them.

Sunak’s weakness is having a decaying effect on his party and the country. Members of his cabinet have spent this week jockeying for position to replace him, while Liz Truss, Nigel Farage and conspiracy theories lifted from the darkest corners of the internet have dominated his conference. How can a man who can’t even run his own party seriously claim he’s capable of running the country?
Sparrow's own assessment of Sunak's speech is more cutting than that. God forbid they should have an opinion on the actual policies.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I mean, its McFadden though.

There's plenty of "cutting" stuff from senior Labour people about.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey wrote: Wed 04 Oct, 2023 2:44 pm
Sparrow's own assessment of Sunak's speech is more cutting than that. God forbid they should have an opinion on the actual policies.
Went to check the Sparrow , his conclusion --
Where the speech was weakest was in the passages where Sunak sought to argue that these problems were all symptomatic of a 30-year malfunction with British politics that he was uniquely qualified to fix

There are plenty of structural problems with British politics, and it would be nice to have a PM willing to address them, but Sunak did not even begin to make an argument in this space, or say anything that suggested he might be different. For example, one problem is that prime ministers keep reshuffling their cabinets every five minutes, as he’s done. Another is that we have a governing party with rules that allow the PM to be chosen by 140,000 members, most of whom thought Liz Truss would be a good option. If Sunak were serious about improving the way politics is conducted, he could start by addressing that.

As a result, the “candidate for change” shtick just did not work. And as a result, Sunak was left with three policies, one of which sounded a bit New Labourish (in that it was reminiscent of the ban on smoking in pubs), another of which was sensible, but politically quite neutral (education), and the third of which (HS2) sounded like a valiant attempt to extract some political capital from a humiliating U-turn.

Overall verdict? Good try, but it’s not enough to reverse this.( the POLLS )
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... 7bb34211ef

Underwhelming !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well not sure about the "good try" bit (save possibly if intended as sarcasm) but otherwise mostly accurate.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

A musical observation of the sign of the times

earlier:
now:

Just saying.
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Wed 04 Oct, 2023 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Probably a bad example (see The Circle; The Every) but anyone retaining a soul of some descrption may recognise something of what I'm struggling to say
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

was there ever a time we just had fun?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(while rocking against racism etc)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

always a miserable ****
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

tinyclanger2 wrote: Wed 04 Oct, 2023 7:54 pm was there ever a time we just had fun?
Yes, it was horrid :)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(and I was always of the opinion that he was one)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Wed 04 Oct, 2023 7:57 pm
tinyclanger2 wrote: Wed 04 Oct, 2023 7:54 pm was there ever a time we just had fun?
Yes, it was horrid :)
Was it? that's not how I remember it.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

A friend of mine in student days (recently deceased, sadly) was then very much of the opinion that the Smiths were as brilliant and influential as the Beatles - I think that can be filed under "opinions that didn't age too well".
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Morissey was clearly at the time (and more clearly subsequently so) little more than a miserable ****
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Youth is SO wasted on the young

tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Just had a quick boogie to this:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Hey Sky are you off to New Order on Saturday?
Am suddently seized by a compulsion to see them.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Oh dear, never mind

tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Morris's girlfriend Gillian Gilbert, and she was invited to join the band in early October 1980 as keyboardist and guitarist. Her first live performance with the band occurred at The Squat in Manchester on 25 October 1980.[11][12] (from wikipedia)

Was there. In a band. (But not the No Names)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

refitman wrote: Wed 04 Oct, 2023 9:10 pm Oh dear, never mind

Well that's promising.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

tinyclanger2 wrote: Wed 04 Oct, 2023 9:12 pm Morris's girlfriend Gillian Gilbert, and she was invited to join the band in early October 1980 as keyboardist and guitarist. Her first live performance with the band occurred at The Squat in Manchester on 25 October 1980.[11][12] (from wikipedia)

Was there. In a band. (But not the No Names)
This guy makes really good videos on particular acts and genres. Here's one on The Smiths
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Gillian Gilbert - was "dating" (wikipedia) Stephen Morris of New Order - aot Morrissey of the Smiths
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

There's lots of these doing the rounds...and a couple of examples where future projects actually exist right now.

Decision rushed without giving it much thought or sense-checking? Perish the thought...

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

What just happened?

(at St James Park)