Saturday 27th & Sunday 28th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 27th & Sunday 28th December 2014

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Got to this via Lib Dem Voice ... blog from an SNP activist who has been refused / barred from becoming one of their PPCs.
Disbarred
by craig on December 27, 2014
Upset and depressed after being barred from the SNP candidates’ register by the hierarchy for “lack of commitment to group discipline”.

I was asked at assessment whether, as part of a Westminster deal with another party, I would agree to vote for the bedroom tax if instructed by the Party. I replied “No.” End of SNP political career. Problem is, I really believed we were building a different kind of politics in Scotland. I also knew that a simple lie would get me in, but I couldn’t bring myself to utter it...
https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/
There's quite a lot more on his experience and views on how and why the SNP operates as it does.
Trouble is that, whatever good he's done in the past, he is a bellend. I argued with him over vote rigging. It was just hapening just because. No evidence at all.

The SNP have gone up in my estimation.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Things you learn from Cybernatters.

1) Holyrood is what really matters, not Westminster.

2) Holyrood is only allowed insultingly small powers by Westminster.

3) A Scot who's represented a Scottish constituency in Westminster might as well be a Martian.

4) The SNP's policies are better for Scotland than the others because they're chosen by Scots only.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Iain Martin ‏@iainmartin1 42 mins42 minutes ago
David Laws now attacking Tories over cuts must be different David Laws from one in 2012 calling for more cuts.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

StephenDolan wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Roy Bailey retweeted
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 6 mins6 minutes ago
First-time voters (Guardian/ICM):
LAB: 41%
CON: 26%
GRN: 19%
LD: 6%
UKIP: 3%
SNP: 2%
Individual voter registration and the low young turnout diminish this good news somewhat.
Aren't the registration changes only fully coming into effect after the GE?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I haven't looked at it yet:
Big beasts of Westminster facing their own Portillo moment
Leading political figures could be ejected from their seats in May – including Nick Clegg in Sheffield Hallam

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... CMP=twt_gu
but I was alerted to it by this:
Toby Perkins MP ‏@tobyperkinsmp 1h1 hour ago
Intrsting @guardian piece on prospect of McVey&Clegg losing,spoilt by nonsense abt LDems taking DDales-won't come 2nd http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Well..... the G's gotta have a bit of nonsense about the Lib Dems winning something ...
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6454509.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nicola Sturgeon "making her name" in 2007.

Wants to replace relatively progressive council tax with 3p flat rate raise income tax. Labour rightly attacks it as being like a poll tax.

Yeah but no but Trident. Which has no bearing at all on the fairness of their preferred tax system, and is a UK matter.

2009- SNP drop local income tax, because would lose vote.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/200 ... income-tax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2011- SNP win overall majority.

2014- Still no sign of local income tax.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Oh yeah, learning that Labour constantly say the OBR is part of the government and biased.

Ed Balls wanted them to audit the Labour manifesto!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Got to this via Lib Dem Voice ... blog from an SNP activist who has been refused / barred from becoming one of their PPCs.
Disbarred
by craig on December 27, 2014
Upset and depressed after being barred from the SNP candidates’ register by the hierarchy for “lack of commitment to group discipline”.

I was asked at assessment whether, as part of a Westminster deal with another party, I would agree to vote for the bedroom tax if instructed by the Party. I replied “No.” End of SNP political career. Problem is, I really believed we were building a different kind of politics in Scotland. I also knew that a simple lie would get me in, but I couldn’t bring myself to utter it...
https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/
There's quite a lot more on his experience and views on how and why the SNP operates as it does.

Trouble is that, whatever good he's done in the past, he is a bellend. I argued with him over vote rigging. It was just hapening just because. No evidence at all.

The SNP have gone up in my estimation.
The comments BTL are very interesting ... quite a few show the high levels of expectation from politics and politicians ... and naivety. They seem to think everyone should be able to behave like an independent - even if they are in a party - and that the answer to this guy's problems with being accepted by the SNP is to either form his own party (juss like that) or become an independent. Anyone who thinks the power games and compromise and sell outs are magically vanished if you have independent representatives should take a look at Pembrokeshire. Quite a few of us pleb voters would love the norm of people clearly standing for a party with a set of principles and policies when we elect them ... rather than deciding who they will affiliate with and what policies they'll adopt after they are elected.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

This is how to cancel your Times subscription:
James Rhodes ‏@JRhodesPianist 10h10 hours ago

The Times has named Nigel Farage as 'Briton of the Year'. So I wrote to cancel my subscription. Pls do the same. pic.twitter.com/PSvaCK4tkg
Attachments
B53h6IKCAAE65Yj.jpg
B53h6IKCAAE65Yj.jpg (74.32 KiB) Viewed 12456 times
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
Individual voter registration and the low young turnout diminish this good news somewhat.
Thanks AK, I think you're correct. http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28132233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the Observer 17-22 survey,

" Opinium research carried out an online survey of 503 Britons aged 17 to 22, from 18 to 22 December 2014, and 2,003 UK adults between 19 and 23 December 2014. Results have been weighted to nationally representative criteria "

Very small sample size for an article? Bearing in mind that the piece references subsets of different areas of the country the margin of error must be huge surely? AK to clarify please :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

'I would rather shit in my hands and clap than continue to give money to an organisation that see fit to imbue such a man with the semblance of credibility and backing.'
Superb.

Bravo is probably the word.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

There you go, Rebecca, you see? Even though - mystifyingly - 26% of young people would vote for those venal Tory scum, the majority are Labour or green. Actually an absolute majority, and the FibDem vote plus the derisory support for UKRAP, I think, reinforces my previous post.

It's not the young in the UK holding this country back: they will be fine. They are endlessly vilified, as is every next generation, and yet, miraculously, they always turn out to be overwhelmingly a bunch of good 'uns as opposed to being NotRights, like so many of their parents and grandparents are. Funny that.

Take heart.

On edit: actually, one of life's most depressing spectacles - thankfully pretty rare - is the young Tory; the one you meet on the door step, all of 18, never really had a good think, voting Tory. Or, even more depressing, the young bloke down my local, probably about 19-20 years old, always seen in a suit, looks awkward and gangly, stood for them in Redvales - an unlikely target for any budding Tory, given the four figure majorities usually returned for Labour (my protege from last year's standing there this year).

He's a nice young bloke, but you can't talk to him. All I really want to do is to shake him violently and shout "FUCKING WAKE UP YOU DAFT BASTARD, WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE FUCKING DOING?" but I'm rather too polite for that. He believes their shit. I think I need to turn him. I think that's my task for 2015.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
We've already had notification that we don't need to do anything. According to the Electoral Commission:
Following the introduction of IER in the summer of 2014, each person is required to register to vote individually, rather than by household.
http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/f ... gistration

I assume that the 'individual registration' register would be used next year (but I could be wrong)!

Edited to add:
A FIFTH of the Scottish electorate is being threatened with fines unless they re-register to vote in future elections as part of a controversial UK government scheme that was postponed until after the referendum.
Voters have been ordered to provide their national insurance details to local authorities within a fortnight for a new registration process, or face £80 penalties, despite them already being on the electoral roll
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3575534
Last edited by Eric_WLothian on Sun 28 Dec, 2014 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

SCOTLAND’S only elected Ukip politician has said he will stand against Alex Salmond after the former SNP leader confirmed he would contest next year’s general election.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3645016
:lol:
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Love this:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... l-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can hear the howls of pain down Farringdon Rd as they have to admit that Clegg really, really isn't popular with the young, but that they loathe Farrago more. That must hurt.

No doubt this is Another Disaster For Miliband, it just takes a little finessing to get the angle on it prior to Patrick Wintour's next hatchet job. Just sit back and laugh, and Merry Christmas.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... 5-portillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here you go, here's another one that's snuck through whilst Rubbisher's off at his future retirement home. Expect Mr. or Ms. Cowburn to be fired on January 5th.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
There you go, Rebecca, you see? Even though - mystifyingly - 26% of young people would vote for those venal Tory scum, the majority are Labour or green. Actually an absolute majority, and the FibDem vote plus the derisory support for UKRAP, I think, reinforces my previous post.

It's not the young in the UK holding this country back: they will be fine. They are endlessly vilified, as is every next generation, and yet, miraculously, they always turn out to be overwhelmingly a bunch of good 'uns as opposed to being NotRights, like so many of their parents and grandparents are. Funny that.

Take heart.

On edit: actually, one of life's most depressing spectacles - thankfully pretty rare - is the young Tory; the one you meet on the door step, all of 18, never really had a good think, voting Tory. Or, even more depressing, the young bloke down my local, probably about 19-20 years old, always seen in a suit, looks awkward and gangly, stood for them in Redvales - an unlikely target for any budding Tory, given the four figure majorities usually returned for Labour (my protege from last year's standing there this year).

He's a nice young bloke, but you can't talk to him. All I really want to do is to shake him violently and shout "FUCKING WAKE UP YOU DAFT BASTARD, WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE FUCKING DOING?" but I'm rather too polite for that. He believes their shit. I think I need to turn him. I think that's my task for 2015.
*sigh*

Brings to mind a young man I met many years ago when I was a mere youngster myself. He came as a temp to the office where I was employed. It was clear that he fancied me - truth be told, the feeling was very mutual. So you can imagine my pleasure when he grabbed a quiet moment to invite me on a date.................. to the local Conservative Dinner/Dance. *tut* I declined.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Here's hoping @ohso's Floridian daughter is none the worse for wear following what happened with that intruder!

Did anyone spot this little 'gem' from the other day? Bloke in charge of ukip in Thanet South is a former member of the National Front:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30603121

But because he'd already been a member of ukip for years before they brought in the ban on former members of far right organisations it would be 'beyond natural justice' to expel him now...

They really are a very odd bunch!
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Interesting report on malnutrition in the poorest 10% of the population, based on figures contained within a government report but not highlighted by that report.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 46627.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

mbc1955 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Evening all :)
Britain’s first-time voters: pro-EU, socially liberal – and no fans of Farage

May 2015 election could be decided by 3 million young voters who are optimistic, tolerant and heavily favour Labour

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... age-labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It took precisely 3 minutes for the UKIP troll to post.
FidesEtRatio
27 December 2014 8:59pm

Recommend
In actual fact, UKIP are picking up a large proportion of votes from people who have never voted for 20 years and beyond. UKIP is encouraging voter participation and democratic contribution and is to be applauded for that. For what it is worth, many of my young friends and family will be voting UKIP, independent of what polls say about young people.
Do they have supporters sitting around pressing <reload> until a story mentioning UKIP comes up?
(Bold added above). And as we all know, one's own limited circle of people who think like one is always a much more reliable political bellweather than anything under the sun. So it must be true.
Also, what does he mean by haven't voted in 20 years? They're first time voters!

Morning all. Very frosty, icy and cold here, brrr.
Smart has the plans, but stupid has the stories.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ErnstRemarx wrote:Love this:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... l-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can hear the howls of pain down Farringdon Rd as they have to admit that Clegg really, really isn't popular with the young, but that they loathe Farrago more. That must hurt.

No doubt this is Another Disaster For Miliband, it just takes a little finessing to get the angle on it prior to Patrick Wintour's next hatchet job. Just sit back and laugh, and Merry Christmas.
It is a disaster for Miliband, after all 'Even among young voters, there are serious doubts about Ed Miliband as a leader. Just 24% of all the first-timers surveyed said they approved of his leadership, against 42% who disapproved. Cameron fared better, with 35% for and 41% against. '.

So there you go. Just like the rest of the voters come May, the young will enter the polling station and mark an X against presidential candidate Cameron. [/Sarcasm]
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... -wrong-one" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

george-osborne-obsessed-deficit-wrong-one

Good piece by William Keegan
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Here's my MP. The graun name him as a rising star, though they seemed surprised with his background that he decided to stand for Labour.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014 ... politician" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by daydreamer on Sun 28 Dec, 2014 10:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Oh how boring, Labour going on about their safe topic, the NHS. Why can't they focus on the important stuff (as determined by the media). Anyway, this should in no way whatsoever be classed as a crisis.

NHS cancels 3,000 operations in two December weeks

http://gu.com/p/44f36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Ohh, I give up! Could someone computer literate please fix my link re: Dan Jarvis? I've done it from my tablet rather than laptop/desktop as normal. I've managed to copy and paste it, but don't know how to highlight it properly to put the url on.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

daydreamer wrote:Here's my MP. The graun name him as arising star, though they seemed surprised with his background that he decided to stand for Labour.

[/url]http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014 ... politician[/url]
http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014 ... politician

Is that OK daydreamer?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From underneath that Dan Jarvis article:
Tulip Siddiq is Labour’s candidate for Hampstead and Kilburn at the general election, following the retirement of Glenda Jackson. She is the niece of the PM of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina, and worked on Ed Miliband’s leadership campaign.
Wonder how Hodges feels about that ...
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
daydreamer wrote:Here's my MP. The graun name him as arising star, though they seemed surprised with his background that he decided to stand for Labour.

Is that OK daydreamer?
That's great, thanks. :hug:
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

daydreamer wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Is that OK daydreamer?
That's great, thanks. :hug:
Someone has now fixed my original link, so thanks to you too (whoever you are). :hug:
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

rebeccariots2 wrote:From underneath that Dan Jarvis article:
Tulip Siddiq is Labour’s candidate for Hampstead and Kilburn at the general election, following the retirement of Glenda Jackson. She is the niece of the PM of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina, and worked on Ed Miliband’s leadership campaign.
I'm sure he'll be along in due course to let us know, as he just can't pass up an opportunity to let us know how much he hates Ed. :evil:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Who will be the next leader of the Conservative Party? All of the candidates and the odds on each of them winning, right here
http://nicktyrone.com/will-net-leader-c ... ing-right/
He says it will have to be a real right winger .... and backs Paterson or David Davis .... gawd help us if they elect Paterson in particular.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Who will be the next leader of the Conservative Party? All of the candidates and the odds on each of them winning, right here
http://nicktyrone.com/will-net-leader-c ... ing-right/
He says it will have to be a real right winger .... and backs Paterson or David Davis .... gawd help us if they elect Paterson in particular.
Why does it though? How much more right wing do they need to be? I already consider the current bunch extremely right wing.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

What a waste!
More than £1m of public money has been spent on free schools that have failed to open, new figures revealed last night.

Statistics show that 21 free school projects have been cancelled or withdrawn. One free school closed while another has partially shut because of poor performance.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 46600.html
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

More education news:
Schools will have to sack teachers, increase class sizes and drop subjects from the curriculum in the new year because of a squeeze on budgets, head teachers are warning. They predict a "perfect storm", not of their making.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 46633.html

Apologies if Tubby or Roger have already posted these.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jamie Reed retweeted
Cookie Munster ‏@crowmogh 18m18 minutes ago
My young nephew worked till 3.40am in wetherspoons pub and was phoned at 8.15 asking if he could be in by 10am -these are the UKs new jobs.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

If the Tories elect Paterson as leader, they will go the same way their Canadian counterparts did two decades ago under Kim Campbell.

There is precisely zero chance of it actually happening, however - so don't get too excited :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Jamie Reed retweeted
My young nephew worked till 3.40am in wetherspoons pub and was phoned at 8.15 asking if he could be in by 10am -these are the UKs new jobs.
Rebecca, see this. F**king depressing.
He had fallen asleep at the desk.

‘You ok?’ I asked.

‘Bit tired’ he said. ‘They’ve got us doing 14 hour days – it’s too much.’
He had to buy his own uniform and provide his personal mobile number so VIP guests could contact him whenever they wanted. He wasn’t entitled to any annual leave nor could he book certain days off on the rota. It’s worth keeping in mind that he was working for a major global hotel chain – whose Worldwide Operating Income after taxes was $460m in 2013...The last straw came a few months ago. Rob had been offered four shifts for the month, not enough to live on but he couldn’t turn down the work. So he set off to his £6.31 an hour job by way of a £4.60 one-day saver return. When he arrived he was told that he wasn’t needed that day after all. He’d lost money going to work and was down to three shifts for the month. Except the hotel had scheduled him to work on the day of a friend’s funeral. When he asked to swap a shift they refused because they said he’d not given enough notice. He was down to two shifts and about £100 from which he had to pay his rent, bills and buy his food. This simply wasn’t enough to survive on. He had a row with his manager and walked out.

That won’t have bothered the hotel. They take on so many zero hours workers that if people like Rob kick up a fuss – or dare I say unionise their workplace – they have lots more people to choose from with little consequence. This government has essentially created the ‘disposable employee’.
http://labourlist.org/2014/12/the-rise- ... -employee/
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

daydreamer wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Jamie Reed retweeted
Rebecca, see this. F**king depressing.
He had fallen asleep at the desk.

‘You ok?’ I asked.

‘Bit tired’ he said. ‘They’ve got us doing 14 hour days – it’s too much.’
He had to buy his own uniform and provide his personal mobile number so VIP guests could contact him whenever they wanted. He wasn’t entitled to any annual leave nor could he book certain days off on the rota. It’s worth keeping in mind that he was working for a major global hotel chain – whose Worldwide Operating Income after taxes was $460m in 2013...The last straw came a few months ago. Rob had been offered four shifts for the month, not enough to live on but he couldn’t turn down the work. So he set off to his £6.31 an hour job by way of a £4.60 one-day saver return. When he arrived he was told that he wasn’t needed that day after all. He’d lost money going to work and was down to three shifts for the month. Except the hotel had scheduled him to work on the day of a friend’s funeral. When he asked to swap a shift they refused because they said he’d not given enough notice. He was down to two shifts and about £100 from which he had to pay his rent, bills and buy his food. This simply wasn’t enough to survive on. He had a row with his manager and walked out.

That won’t have bothered the hotel. They take on so many zero hours workers that if people like Rob kick up a fuss – or dare I say unionise their workplace – they have lots more people to choose from with little consequence. This government has essentially created the ‘disposable employee’.
http://labourlist.org/2014/12/the-rise- ... -employee/
Thank you daydreamer. Yes, it is f***ing depressing ... but glad we have someone in Labour who can write that well and with obvious knowledge and feeling about it. Disposable employee is an awful term ... but so true of this government ... I think it goes beyond employee ... they have disposable people in their sights. If they - Tories and their yellow belly chums - get back in we will probably have another round of weakening employee rights (expect Beecroft proposals to be back on the agenda) and as we know only too well they are itching to ditch allegiance to the Human Rights convention.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Ah, if Labour had chosen the Right Brother ™ as leader that seat would have been Dan's by right; that is genuinely what he thinks, that his birthright and true destiny has been stolen from him by Ed, hence all the bile.

On a related note I see Danny Blanchflower has joined that (increasingly less) exclusive group, the people who have got under Hodges skin so sufficiently to be banned. If you can't take the heat Hodges ...... :fire:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Ah, if Labour had chosen the Right Brother ™ as leader that seat would have been Dan's by right; that is genuinely what he thinks, that his birthright and true destiny has been stolen from him by Ed, hence all the bile.

On a related note I see Danny Blanchflower has joined that (increasingly less) exclusive group, the people who have got under Hodges skin so sufficiently to be banned. If you can't take the heat Hodges ...... :fire:
I loved Blanchflower's recent tweets about Hodges ... absolutely spot on. Why do the Telegraph keep Hodges on? He does just write more or less the same stuff over and over and over again.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I was interested to read some comments earlier about individual voter registration as there appears to be some confusion over when it comes into effect. It came into effect in June 2014. Everyone has to be registered under the new individual voting format to vote in 2015. The idea that it doesn't take effect until after the election is merely because local councils are supposed to ensure people previously registered under the old system are moved over to the new system. There is no standard way of doing this, however, local councils have been left to deal with this any way they want and I think that's what has led to the confusion. Here's some info from my local council:

How is the new system different?

Every individual is responsible for their own voter registration. Previously, the 'head of household' was responsible for registering everyone who lived at the address.
You need to provide a few more details, including your date of birth and National Insurance number.
You can now register online.
Do I need to do anything?

You should have received a "Your vote matters" letter in August 2014.

Most people who are currently registered to vote have been registered automatically under the new system. They do not need to do anything and will continue to be registered to vote as usual.

However, some people who were registered under the previous system will need to take action to make sure they are registered under the new system. If you have not been registered automatically under the new system you should have received an individual electoral registration form. If you have not returned this form or registered online, a canvasser will visit your property between October and November in order to encourage you to register under the new system.

If you were not registered under the previous system you can register to vote online at http://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Alternatively you can contact our helpline and request a registration form.
I just can't shake the feeling that there are a lot of cracks to fall down and that anyone who has moved address in particular will be faced with trying to register via an unfamiliar format, if they remember to register at all, as I'm assuming the old "to the occupier" letters that landed on the mat once a year will no longer be happening (that's how I usually ended up remembering to register on the many occasions I moved house).
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

I find Hodges obsession with Ed quite unhealthy. If I cared about Hodges I'd be very concerned.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

I loved Blanchflower's recent tweets about Hodges ... absolutely spot on. Why do the Telegraph keep Hodges on? He does just write more or less the same stuff over and over and over again.
Why do they keep him on? Because he writes the same stuff over and over and over again, clickbait for the faithful; he is the proverbial "useful idiot", nothing more, nothing less. What makes it funnier is that he genuinely thinks he is writing columns of great profundity, as opposed to stuff even the Beano would reject.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Willow904 wrote:I was interested to read some comments earlier about individual voter registration as there appears to be some confusion over when it comes into effect. It came into effect in June 2014. Everyone has to be registered under the new individual voting format to vote in 2015. The idea that it doesn't take effect until after the election is merely because local councils are supposed to ensure people previously registered under the old system are moved over to the new system. There is no standard way of doing this, however, local councils have been left to deal with this any way they want and I think that's what has led to the confusion. Here's some info from my local council:

Every individual is responsible for their own voter registration. Previously, the 'head of household' was responsible for registering everyone who lived at the address.
You need to provide a few more details, including your date of birth and National Insurance number.

Most people who are currently registered to vote have been registered automatically under the new system. They do not need to do anything and will continue to be registered to vote as usual.

However, some people who were registered under the previous system will need to take action to make sure they are registered under the new system. If you have not been registered automatically under the new system you should have received an individual electoral registration form. If you have not returned this form or registered online, a canvasser will visit your property between October and November in order to encourage you to register under the new system.

If you were not registered under the previous system you can register to vote online at http://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Alternatively you can contact our helpline and request a registration form.
I just can't shake the feeling that there are a lot of cracks to fall down and that anyone who has moved address in particular will be faced with trying to register via an unfamiliar format, if they remember to register at all, as I'm assuming the old "to the occupier" letters that landed on the mat once a year will no longer be happening (that's how I usually ended up remembering to register on the many occasions I moved house).
Hi Willow,

Yes I think this is where the confusion might have occurred. People have received letters informing them that they are automatically re-registered to vote in 2015 and after that they will have to register individually. That may lead some to believe it's the law from next year.

I received a letter telling me I'd automatically been re-registered and that I did not have to do anything further. I hope that's the case, as I want to vote next May. My vote means nothing, being in a ultra safe Labour seat under the FPTP system, but I want to go out and vote to register my disgust at this government. Also, like you I wait for the letter to arrive to remember to re-register each year, if no letter comes I can see myself not remembering when I need to do so again. Which is probably the whole point.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

daydreamer wrote:
Willow904 wrote:I was interested to read some comments earlier about individual voter registration as there appears to be some confusion over when it comes into effect. It came into effect in June 2014. Everyone has to be registered under the new individual voting format to vote in 2015. The idea that it doesn't take effect until after the election is merely because local councils are supposed to ensure people previously registered under the old system are moved over to the new system. There is no standard way of doing this, however, local councils have been left to deal with this any way they want and I think that's what has led to the confusion. Here's some info from my local council:

Hi Willow,

Yes I think this is where the confusion might have occurred. People have received letters informing them that they are automatically re-registered to vote in 2015 and after that they will have to register individually. That may lead some to believe it's the law from next year.

I received a letter telling me I'd automatically been re-registered and that I did not have to do anything further. I hope that's the case, as I want to vote next May. My vote means nothing, being in a ultra safe Labour seat under the FPTP system, but I want to go out and vote to register my disgust at this government. Also, like you I wait for the letter to arrive to remember to re-register each year, if no letter comes I can see myself not remembering when I need to do so again. Which is probably the whole point.
Individual registration doesn't necessarily mean no annual reminders. Presumably it will still be up to local authorities to ensure that the register is up to date - but they'll have to contact every voter, rather than every household.
Still, lets look on the bright side - look at all the public funds that will move to Royal Mail in the process! :roll:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Kathy retweeted
Dianne Hayter ‏@HayteratLords 11 mins11 minutes ago
Opinium/Observer:

Labour 36;
Conservative 29;
UKIP 16;
Other 8.
Liberal Democrat 6;
Green 5;
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

ohsocynical wrote:Kathy retweeted
Opinium/Observer:

Labour 36;
Conservative 29;
UKIP 16;
Other 8.
Liberal Democrat 6;
Green 5;
It seems that the polls are widening again, after narrowing briefly. 'The great political mastermind's' autumn statement was a bust then! :D
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

daydreamer wrote:More education news:
Schools will have to sack teachers, increase class sizes and drop subjects from the curriculum in the new year because of a squeeze on budgets, head teachers are warning. They predict a "perfect storm", not of their making.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 46633.html

Apologies if Tubby or Roger have already posted these.
I've seen something similar. It was only a matter of time before this happened - the "protected area" covers up a whole range of issues like the crazy amounts spent on academization and on small-scale free schools.

Looking at some academies, there's a whole tier of senior management that needs pruning - who do all these deputy heads and assistant heads do all day?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

An article originally from July (so apologies if referenced previously) but, given the state of the country's finances still pertinent.

http://npi.org.uk/blog/economic-policy/ ... wson-boom/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

' if 2013 was the second worst, when was the worst? In his speech, the Deputy Governor dwelt at length on the shocking year of 1976. Certainly there was a sterling crisis that year. Certainly the UK suffered the abject humiliation of having to call in the IMF to help sort it out. Almost certainly income inequality was also at its lowest level ever. But as the graph of the annual balance of payments below shows, once the data was cleaned up, 1976 was a pussy cat year for the balance of payments with a deficit of just 0.8% of GDP. How good is that? Well one way of putting it: better than every year since 1998! '
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

ohsocynical wrote:Kathy retweeted
Opinium/Observer:

Labour 36;
Conservative 29;
UKIP 16;
Other 8.
Liberal Democrat 6;
Green 5;
As the bloke on the Fast Show used to say: nice!
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."