Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th October 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th October 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th October 2023

Post by refitman »

So, it seems that Labour's official position is still that Gaza should be flattened, but Israel should try and not kill quite so many innocent people?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Jewish protests in New York

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Starmer getting the endorsement he so desperately wanted

Meanwhile, not all Labour MPs are absolute ghouls
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

The Party is properly starting to turn against Starmer
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Protests in London.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Again, there is no PRACTICAL difference between "humanitarian pauses" and an official "ceasefire" WITHOUT A POLITICAL AGREEMENT.

Literally the only distinction is that "ceasefire" makes people feel warm and fuzzy inside.

In reality, if there was one tomorrow it would break down within days.

What then?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

No. A ceasefire means that fighting stops. A 'humanitarian pause' (what a fucking awful term) means that they stop for a bit, allow some aid in, some people out and then start flattening buildings and killing people again.

It's pretty simple to be honest.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Just fully genocidal language from Netanyahu
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Away from Gaza
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote: Sat 28 Oct, 2023 8:51 pm No. A ceasefire means that fighting stops. A 'humanitarian pause' (what a fucking awful term) means that they stop for a bit, allow some aid in, some people out and then start flattening buildings and killing people again.

It's pretty simple to be honest.
Until it starts again, because there is not even a minimal political agreement. Maybe in a matter of days, just as with "humanitarian pauses" then.

I note that the Labour front benchers calling for a "ceasefire" are also saying hostages should be released and Hamas should stop its rocket attacks.

Yes, this would be good - and might mean a cessation means something and has a chance of holding for at least a while.

But that's the point - it involves *agreement* on stuff other than just "stop fighting".
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

But it's IMPLICIT with a 'pause' that the shellings and rockets and killings WILL RESUME. A ceasefire means that if someone starts shooting again, then in theory the international community can intervene (although chances currently seem slim). A 'pause' is tacit approval of what Israel are doing, just "please kill a few less civilians".
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I note in passing that for once in his wretched life, Elon Musk is actually doing something useful (and Israel aren't happy)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

You're gonna have to be more specific.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I'm sure you've seen this by now but
Starlink will support connectivity to internationally recognized aid organizations in Gaza.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

gilsey wrote: Sun 29 Oct, 2023 10:50 am I'm sure you've seen this by now but
Starlink will support connectivity to internationally recognized aid organizations in Gaza.
I hadn't. Bloody hell, who'da thought he would stop being an almighty dick for 5 mins and do something good.
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

refitman wrote: Sun 29 Oct, 2023 10:15 am You're gonna have to be more specific.
Quite true! It does help on occasions to have a hint. I also quite like to know to which contributor comments apply if it’s not immediately obvious.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

My comments are occasionally a tad cryptic I will admit, but it was big news last night so I assumed people had heard :)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Friends in high places -

notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 29 Oct, 2023 2:38 pm My comments are occasionally a tad cryptic I will admit, but it was big news last night so I assumed people had heard :)
Not for me as I was in transit. Cryptic is good in a crossword, perhaps not do much in a political discussion forum, particularly as I do find your contributions interesting, if a little contrary at times!
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

As previously mentioned it was my brother's wedding on Friday and either he and his other half managed to invite 80 or so leftie anti-Semites or the mood in this country is very far from the political/media narrative being foisted upon us.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't spend their wedding day interrogating friends and family about their views on what's going on in Gaza, quite the opposite in fact, but it kept coming up, especially once people had a few drinks in them. There were even a couple of occasions where I had to take on the mantle of the voice of reason, pointing out that 'Jew' and 'Israeli' are not interchangeable terms. Especially not when using the word 'fucking' as a prefix. Though those were both cousins once removed in their Seventies, or drunk half-uncles as I preferred to think of them. My point being that after a day of drinking with a relatively random cross section of society, most of whom I'd never met in my life so they had no idea what my politics were, I didn't talk to a single person who thought what the Israelis were doing was justified. Some said they'd stopped watching the news because they couldn't stand to see the suffering but most were genuinely angry and sickened.

Then, after some awesome dance moves as far as I remember them, I ended up ordering an Espresso Martini as my final drink thinking it would keep me awake long enough to wait for the taxi back to my brother's house (he and his bride were staying at a posh hotel). Once back there I indulged in a bit of weed, went to bed, then lay horribly awake for hours experiencing the worst anxiety and paranoia I've had for years. Stay away from caffeine kids.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So essentially we're powerless. The views of the majority (in my experience) being ignored for political reasons.

None of us care about the Tories but fuck me Labour's response has been a cowardly disgrace. 'How do we balance this against that', we all know how it goes and it's utterly depressing.

Corbyn was/is a simple fool, he probably did more harm to Labour's support for the Palestinians than any previous Labour leader.

By being honest. Which sounds good but given the circumstances but it really wasn't.

And now we have Starmer...shitting the bed when his backbenchers ask for a ceasefire. Which as Refitman has pointed out is very different from an Israeli defined 'pause'.

One would hope now that we have members of various parliaments with family in Gaza asking for a ceasefire the slaughter might abate, but as my drunk cousin half removed uncle said to me the other night, 'They've learned the wrong lesson'.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Anyway I've been mostly drunk since last Thursday, horrible things are happening over which I have no control once again and yet Refitman keeps this safe space ticking over.

Thanks dude. I appreciate it.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Glad you got a chance to bust some moves Sky.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I've got your back dude.