Monday 29th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 29th December 2014

Post by rebeccariots2 »

There are worse images out there ... from the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30623653
Cameron Great Brook Run1.jpg
Cameron Great Brook Run1.jpg (76.94 KiB) Viewed 12480 times
and
Cameron Great Brook Run2.jpg
Cameron Great Brook Run2.jpg (66.07 KiB) Viewed 12480 times
IT'S CAAAMMMMIE!
Working on the wild side.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: Boeing is still building the 747, in the form of the 800 series. G-VROM, the aircraft involved in the Gatwick incident, was a 400 series aircraft built in 2001. These were somewhat modernised with longer wings and winglets, glass cockpit etc. It's not state of the art, but nor is it an antique. The fact the 747 has four main gear legs seemed to have worked out well in this case. In most cases if an airliner loses a gear leg it makes damage to the fuselage inevitable.
Thank you - I stand very much corrected. I thought Boeing had moved on with the Dreamliner (my brother in law did an extensive stay in Seattle working on it) and the 747 was never mentioned, leading me to assume that all that Boeing now did with the design was to flog spares to airlines still running them. Live and learn.
With all the publicity about the 787 you could be forgiven for thinking the 747 had been retired. According to Wiki, there have been 119 orders for the latest 8 series aircraft (first flight 2010) of which more than half are for the freight version. Compare that with 318 orders for the A380 and it's clear the 747 won't be around for that much longer. Only question is whether they replace it or focus entirely on smaller widebodies that can use regional airports - and that's something of a philosophical debate between the hub-and-spoke or point-to-point model.
The days of the 4 engine aircraft are over. The A340 is pretty much retired (lovely aircraft to be a passenger in), the A380 is facing an early termination. The large wide body twins (777, A350) are where it is at. The 777 is a horrid aircraft from a passenger viewpoint as they are shoehorning an extra seat into an already tight economy.

Unless they lose an ETOPS plane to double engine failure over the pacific that isn't going to change. The 787 however still looks iffy, that battery is a problem.

(I really do think they are going to lose a twin over the pacific one day, 3 hours from land on 1 engine hmmmm).
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Re Cameron

By far the stupidest "event" I did was clamber over the Grand National fences as the certificate states "without the aid of a horse",it was on the news with my in laws stating "silly buggers" I had to agree.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

RobertSnozers wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Just had this from Grant Shapps.

Look what we've achieved together this year:

Our economy has grown faster than any other major advanced nation
There are more people in work than ever before
We've continued to reduce the deficit - down by a half since 2010
A million more children are in schools ranked 'good' or 'outstanding', getting a great start in life
We've delivered 2 million apprenticeships since 2010, helping young people learn a trade
Our Help to Buy scheme has helped tens of thousands of people buy their first home
Income tax has been cut for over 24 million hardworking people
Those who have worked hard all their lives are getting more security in retirement, with the State Pension increased
The first of these is clearly now a lie. The US is well ahead.
The first is sort of true, but meaningless, as is most of what comes out of Shapps' mouth. Because the British economy stagnated for so long, even compared with many Eurozone economies, its growth during parts of 2014 was faster. Imagine a group of cars. All but one are Ferraris that quickly accelerate away and hit their maximum speed within seconds. The last is an old banger that takes a couple of minutes to get up to top speed. But while those Ferraris are screaming along at top speed, the old banger is technically accelerating faster than they are. It doesn't mean anything.
Hi Robert

I do understand this point. Nevertheless, Shapps is wrong, because, since the revisions to the growth figures in the UK and the US last week, the US is basically whipping us. See Blanchflower here

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 47597.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Having been thick with a lousy cold all through Xmas, I have been out of my flat today for real for the first time since last Tuesday, and treated myself to a cooked meal.

For the love of Mike, please will nobody post up or even repeat any more photos of that lycra-clad mass of blubber, before my meal tries to repatriate itself!?
The truth ferret speaks!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Childcare costs 'cancel out wages'
One in 10 UK families see one earner's wages used solely to cover childcare and commuting costs, research by insurer Aviva has suggested.

Some 4% of women surveyed said they were "paying to work", because their costs were greater than their wages....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30622583
It really does make you wonder why the government is so insistent it's desirable for both parents to be out at work (unless they are very well off of course) ... the sums don't add up any way you look at it for most couples ... both of you work but don't get any extra income once you've paid for childcare ... and you and your child miss out on some great times together (I know it's not always great and not everyone wants to be there full time) ... or one of you stays home and looks after your child and you have the same income as if you were paying for childcare but you, potentially, create a real problem in being able to get back into work, especially decently paid work, in the future.

As someone says BTL it's not just childcare costs that are making it impossible for families now ... it's housing that is way out of control.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:There are worse images out there ... from the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30623653
and
IT'S CAAAMMMMIE!
If he doesn't do this sort of exercise regularly he's looking at a serious health risk. [please]
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

mbc1955 wrote:Having been thick with a lousy cold all through Xmas, I have been out of my flat today for real for the first time since last Tuesday, and treated myself to a cooked meal.

For the love of Mike, please will nobody post up or even repeat any more photos of that lycra-clad mass of blubber, before my meal tries to repatriate itself!?
Oops. Sorry about that. ;)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Childcare costs 'cancel out wages'
One in 10 UK families see one earner's wages used solely to cover childcare and commuting costs, research by insurer Aviva has suggested.

Some 4% of women surveyed said they were "paying to work", because their costs were greater than their wages....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30622583
It really does make you wonder why the government is so insistent it's desirable for both parents to be out at work (unless they are very well off of course) ... the sums don't add up any way you look at it for most couples ... both of you work but don't get any extra income once you've paid for childcare ... and you and your child miss out on some great times together (I know it's not always great and not everyone wants to be there full time) ... or one of you stays home and looks after your child and you have the same income as if you were paying for childcare but you, potentially, create a real problem in being able to get back into work, especially decently paid work, in the future.

As someone says BTL it's not just childcare costs that are making it impossible for families now ... it's housing that is way out of control.
Agree. We stayed really poor for the first years of my children's lives. I wouldn't have missed a minute of their growing up. Wish I could have it all over again. Would have hated someone else having influence or feedback on them
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

yahyah wrote:I don't know what they've put in the water in Machynlleth but George Monbiot has Russell Brand as his Hero of 2014, and thinks he's the best thing to have happened to the left in years.
I've a lot of time for Russell Brand, especially via The Trews. Yes at times it may get idealistic, but it's encouraging the young and disenfranchised to take a stake at local level and beyond. Sharing knowledge of things like TTIP and Adequacy of Loss Absorbing Capacity of Global Systemically Important Banks In Resolution is a neat trick.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Frank Ryan ‏@FrankRyan1936 22 hrs22 hours ago
Vietnam is sentencing corrupt bankers to death http://glpo.st/OeXuUl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "I have always opposed capitol punishment but.

The original Tweet. shock:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:There are worse images out there ... from the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30623653
and
IT'S CAAAMMMMIE!
If he doesn't do this sort of exercise regularly he's looking at a serious health risk. [please]

It's "only" a mile.I had to push my mum in law up a hill through ice and snow a similar distance in a wheelchair ,complete with suitcase ,to a main road to get a taxi yesterday and I am quite a few years older.Macho me (not)
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

StephenDolan wrote:
yahyah wrote:I don't know what they've put in the water in Machynlleth but George Monbiot has Russell Brand as his Hero of 2014, and thinks he's the best thing to have happened to the left in years.
I've a lot of time for Russell Brand, especially via The Trews. Yes at times it may get idealistic, but it's encouraging the young and disenfranchised to take a stake at local level and beyond. Sharing knowledge of things like TTIP and Adequacy of Loss Absorbing Capacity of Global Systemically Important Banks In Resolution is a neat trick.
No, anybody who encourages young left wing people not to vote is a total twat. He is the right wings best asset, and every time I see him on telly I want to slap him.

Life is complex Russell, there are no easy answers and you have not discovered the miracle cure.

Grade A1 Arse.

Edited to add, and then there is this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebri ... Sachs.html
Last edited by TechnicalEphemera on Mon 29 Dec, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:Frank Ryan ‏@FrankRyan1936 22 hrs22 hours ago
Vietnam is sentencing corrupt bankers to death http://glpo.st/OeXuUl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "I have always opposed capitol punishment but.

The original Tweet. shock:
Reading the article it says Vietnam is very corrupt...Pot, kettle, black.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Iain Duncan Smith’s portrait made from photos of people who died for being poor
http://tompride.wordpress.com/2014/12/2 ... /#comments
Powerful stuff. I hope no offence has been taken.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
If IDS has taken offence at this, he can get stuffed.
The truth ferret speaks!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

mbc1955 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Sorry, should have made myself clearer ... meant offence from relatives of the people whose photos have been used to make this image of IDS.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Given there's a case of Ebola in Glasgow, how long before Dave chairs a COBRA meeting?
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

danesclose wrote:Given there's a case of Ebola in Glasgow, how long before Dave chairs a COBRA meeting?
As soon as I post that BBC announce that Jeremy Hunt is chairing a COBRA meeting tonight.
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Powerful stuff. I hope no offence has been taken.
Sorry, should have made myself clearer ... meant offence from relatives of the people whose photos have been used to make this image of IDS.
No, don't worry, your meaning was perfectly clear: I chose to respond as I did.
The truth ferret speaks!
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
No, anybody who encourages young left wing people not to vote is a total twat. He is the right wings best asset, and every time I see him on telly I want to slap him.

Life is complex Russell, there are no easy answers and you have not discovered the miracle cure.

Grade A1 Arse.

Edited to add, and then there is this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebri ... Sachs.html
Encouraging the young and unlikely to vote to ignore the media narratives and to become political isn't a bad thing. From what I can tell RB doesn't say he has all the answers, more a case of making sure that acceptance of the neo-lib consensus isn't a given. As for his old life before he'd cleaned himself up yes he did behave like a grade A twat.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

danesclose wrote:
danesclose wrote:Given there's a case of Ebola in Glasgow, how long before Dave chairs a COBRA meeting?
As soon as I post that BBC announce that Jeremy Hunt is chairing a COBRA meeting tonight.
:rofl:

I'd love to be in that meeting room...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

and
IT'S CAAAMMMMIE!
There are times I really wish I had a pack of Bloodhound/Rottweiler crosses. Tally ho ;) :whip:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I know it's wrong to laugh at someone's weight problems.... but :lol: :lol:

"Can Mr Pickles please sit in the centre of the aircraft when landing"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:I know it's wrong to laugh at someone's weight problems.... but :lol: :lol:

"Can Mr Pickles please sit in the centre of the aircraft when landing"
Looking at that 747 landing earlier, sticking Eric on the Port side would surely have really helped.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

danesclose wrote:
Really?

Well it looks like pay day for the Homeopathy industry. Who knew it worked against Ebola.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

LadyCentauria wrote:
and
IT'S CAAAMMMMIE!
There are times I really wish I had a pack of Bloodhound/Rottweiler crosses. Tally ho ;) :whip:
Aha the annual toff hunt. Must take the horses to the next one.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Wow, this has got to be one of the most stupid articles ever given headline status by a serious paper.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 48970.html

When a plane falls out of the sky and lands in water it is quite difficult to find. The thing tends to break up on the way down, and transponders can stop working, or may no longer be received. If primary radar returns exist somebody will have to dig them out, and even then these have limited accuracy.

It took a long time to find Adam Air, even longer to find Air France 447, and people have been looking for a whole 48 hours. I have no idea what Calder expects the industry to do, but nobody is going to spend money on the chance in billions of another MH370. Plus to put any new kit on a plane takes years of testing and certification.
Release the Guardvarks.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
and
IT'S CAAAMMMMIE!
Aha the annual toff hunt. Must take the horses to the next one.
Seriously been thinking of getting another horse, but wondering if I'm to old to adjust to a new horse's ways, I had my two so long it was like mind reading to know they wanted ...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

alan mills
‏@alanmills405 Apple is producing a new app just for LibDem MPs to remind them what was in their last manifesto. It's called the iLied

:lol: :lol: :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

'Shocking' need for foodbank in affluent Farnham
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/local-n ... am-8351155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

danesclose wrote:

Perhaps he could explain why Yorkshire Ambulance Service has declared a major incident due to unprecedented demand.

(Having been involved in MI planning, I know this is not done lightly)

The patient with Ebola is in Scotland. It has it's own devolved power for the NHS. It's none of his business.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

As you may know the Leader of the Labour Party, Ed Miliband has chosen the North West as the place to make his first major speech of 2015 and this email is a last reminder to book your place now to make sure you avoid disappointment.
So I did an I got a ticket! Ernst are you going?
Whoop :dance:
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AngryAsWell wrote:Seriously been thinking of getting another horse, but wondering if I'm to old to adjust to a new horse's ways, I had my two so long it was like mind reading to know they wanted ...
Don't the Met supply horses to trustworthy owners?
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

ephemerid wrote:
danesclose wrote:

Perhaps he could explain why Yorkshire Ambulance Service has declared a major incident due to unprecedented demand.

(Having been involved in MI planning, I know this is not done lightly)

The patient with Ebola is in Scotland. It has it's own devolved power for the NHS. It's none of his business.
PR move on rhyming slang's part. If as is most likely, all goes well with regards the Ebola patient, he will claim the credit. If anything were to go wrong, he'll point out its a devolved matter.............
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

ephemerid wrote: The patient with Ebola is in Scotland.
Not for long, it seems:
“According to UK and Scottish protocol for anyone diagnosed with Ebola, the patient will be transferred to the high level isolation unit in the Royal Free hospital, London, as soon as possible. This is where the facilities, staff and systems are in place to ensure the best quality and safest care.”
http://www.scotsman.com/news/health/cas ... -1-3646297
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Seriously been thinking of getting another horse, but wondering if I'm to old to adjust to a new horse's ways, I had my two so long it was like mind reading to know they wanted ...
They do sometimes, but they tend to be very big horses, and I'm 5 foot nothing...... :lol: :lol:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:
They do sometimes, but they tend to be very big horses, and I'm 5 foot nothing...... :lol: :lol:
But it is a police horse, it will stand still while you stand on a foot stool to groom it. The key questions of course, can you afford it and are you prepared (again) to give up your entire life.

Now is probably not the time to buy a four year old....
Release the Guardvarks.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

TechnicalEphemera wrote: But it is a police horse, it will stand still while you stand on a foot stool to groom it.
Might be a problem when it instinctively charges into any passing group of students though. :lol:
Last edited by Eric_WLothian on Mon 29 Dec, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
I think the Met horses go through World Horse Welfare for fostering, or a similar charity, although some have retired with the officers who rode them. I'm not at all clear on how Cameron ended up riding that one Brooks had in her care because the fostering agreements are usually quite specific about what happens to them ~ and passing them on should break the agreement.

@AAW: The charities have a great need for people willing and able to give a good foster-home to the horses in their care and most will take great care and time to match the right horse with the right person. And I know that you would take great care, yourself, in choosing a horse and getting to know him or her. You'll know when you meet 'the one' ~ and you won't be 'too old'. You'll be just right for that horse. Good luck :)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote: Don't the Met supply horses to trustworthy owners?
But it is a police horse, it will stand still while you stand on a foot stool to groom it. The key questions of course, can you afford it and are you prepared (again) to give up your entire life.

Now is probably not the time to buy a four year old....
Yes and yes ;) I did go look at a 3 year old a few weeks ago, think it must have been doped so quiet... lol
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

What a fantastic letter!

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.