Wednesday 15th November 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 15th November 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 15th November 2023

Post by gilsey »

Supreme court concludes Rwanda policy unlawful because of risks to asylum seekers being sent there
Reed says, given this evidence, the court of appeal concluded that there were good grounds for thinking asylum seekers going to Rwanda were at risk.

He says the supreme court is unanimously of the view that the court of appeal was right.
Last edited by gilsey on Wed 15 Nov, 2023 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The central issue in the present case is therefore not the good faith of the government of Rwanda at the political level, but its practical ability to fulfil its assurances, at least in the short term, in the light of the present deficiencies of the Rwandan asylum system, the past and continuing practice of refoulement (including in the context of an analogous arrangement with Israel), and the scale of the changes in procedure, understanding and culture which are required.

In agreement with the court of appeal, we consider that the past and the present cannot be effectively ignored or sidelined as the secretary of state suggests.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Leave the ECHR, you say?
The principle of non-refoulement is therefore given effect not only by the ECHR but also by other international conventions to which the United Kingdom is party. It is a core principle of international law, to which the United Kingdom government has repeatedly committed itself on the international stage, consistently with this country’s reputation for developing and upholding the rule of law.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

From the G

"" 11.12 CET
Turning to the evidence, Reed says Rwanda has been criticised for extrajudicial killings. He says the police in the UK have had to warn Rwandan refugees about threats to kill them.

The evidence raises questions about Rwanda’s compliance with its international obligations, he says.
I hadn't heard this before, but really one more piece of evidence in the case against Cruellla and the whole of her foul party.
( Also I can't remember if the StarmerParty has condemned the whole enterprise and promised to reverse it .... ???? The evidence was out there on the Rwandan govt being a rotten lot, Open Source for forensic people .)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I think Labour were clear for once, they wouldn't implement it.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Yes, this is something they have been consistent on from the outset - including that they would scrap it had it been ruled legal.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Thanks !
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sunak reduced to exhuming Corbyn at today's PMQs - there are few surer signs that he is struggling.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Listening to WATO ...

It wasn't a resignation letter, she was fired FFS !
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

gilsey wrote: Wed 15 Nov, 2023 10:54 am Leave the ECHR, you say?
The principle of non-refoulement is therefore given effect not only by the ECHR but also by other international conventions to which the United Kingdom is party. It is a core principle of international law, to which the United Kingdom government has repeatedly committed itself on the international stage, consistently with this country’s reputation for developing and upholding the rule of law.
They're still saying it. To be fair to Cleverly he's tried to explain the court ruling to his hard of thinking colleagues but they refuse to listen.

I never thought I'd say this but thank god Cleverly is there because had Braverman still been in place imagine the shitshow we'd have had to endure today.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ok so as far as I understand it this ruling effectively kills the Rwanda policy stone dead. Regardless of any babble about getting a 'new treaty' (there was no treaty in the first place) unless Rwanda completely transforms its asylum and legal systems the court would find against the government no matter what treaty is put in front of it. Even ignoring all that, given how long it will take to go through the courts again we'll have had a GE by then and Labour will scrap the whole sorry business.

I'm still a bit hungover so maybe I've missed something but it looks to me like this is all over bar the shouting.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Right so now Sunak is saying he'll force through emergency legislation which will allow the UK parliament to unilaterally state that Rwanda is a safe country despite all the evidence to the contrary.

First of all what an absolute joke, and second of all any new attempt to send people to Rwanda will still have to go through the courts, and there's also this to bear in mind in terms of passing that legislation.

Despite unwillingly having to take a question from the BBC it was notable that Sunak only took two more questions from Tory friendly journalists from the Mail and Express and even they didn't seem to be taking a word he was saying seriously.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Talk about needlessly shooting yourself in both feet

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I mean seriously does Sunak really think that a vote in parliament declaring Rwanda safe is going to sway the opinion of judges who have unanimously found it be quite the opposite? His own MPs might be thick enough to fall for this transparent nonsense but it'll be hilarious to see how well it stands up in court. If it ever gets that far. He's now just delaying the inevitable for as long as possible so the Tories will have someone else to blame (courts/lords) when we finally have a GE.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Sunak just isn't very good at politics.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Just wondering when Cameron will realise he's thrown in his lot with a bunch of complete no-hopers ?

G article early yesterday ,which I can't find, but basically saying this --
"Besides, he was bored. Now he wants another go at statecraft."

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Jess Phillips tho? That'll be a sight for sore eyes.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

God "Sent Hitler to Help Jews Reach the Promised Land"

Last edited by frog222 on Wed 15 Nov, 2023 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So now we're getting reactions from the Tory right and even they aren't stupid enough to fall for Sunak's panicked nonsense.

It seems to me his only options remaining are to write off the scheme entirely, find another country to replace Rwanda, or make the UK so shit that the courts can rule that Rwanda is a safer country than the UK.

To be fair, on that last one he does seem to be making some progress.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Just in case there was any doubt that the Vote Leave mob are grubby little fascists with absolutely no respect for this country or its institutions.

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Here's the list of all the MPs who voted for the SNP ceasefire amendment. I'm happy to say mine was one of them.

https://votes.parliament.uk/votes/commo ... /1666#ayes
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Some surprising names there, Liam Byrne, Stella Creasy, Sarah Champion...a lot of them not the usual suspects as it were.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Wed 15 Nov, 2023 8:24 pm Some surprising names there, Liam Byrne, Stella Creasy, Sarah Champion...a lot of them not the usual suspects as it were.
Those MPs do have one important thing in common, though.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Wed 15 Nov, 2023 10:50 pm Those MPs do have one important thing in common, though.
They have a conscience?

Or are you going to tell me all these Labour MPs who voted for a ceasefire only did so because they've got Muslim constituents?

Because that's the line the far right are pushing.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its a factor, regardless of what the "far right" are saying,

Nearly all the rebels are either Muslim, have large numbers of Muslims in their seats, or are on the left of the party more generally.

Or are we supposed to believe that JRM's best pal has suddenly and belatedly discovered "conscience"?

Btw quite a few of the resignees will very likely be back on the front bench before too long anyway.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

So, they're pandering? Do you think Muslims matter less than other constituents? Bare in mind, these Labour MPs are voting the way the majority of people in this country currently feel.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I can only think that the Labour leadership think Palestinians are worth less than Israelis

Apropos of nothing in particular...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote: Wed 15 Nov, 2023 11:23 pm So, they're pandering? Do you think Muslims matter less than other constituents? Bare in mind, these Labour MPs are voting the way the majority of people in this country currently feel.
I'm not making any moral judgement, just saying how it is.

To a certain degree, this is performative by *both* sides.

Of course Starmer *could* have allowed a free vote tonight, but he wants to show that he is a "strong" leader who won't be pushed around.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Yet my MP is far from being on the left of the party, doesn't have a large number of Muslims in his constituency, and this is the first time I've seen him rebel in all the time I've lived here.

Claiming that Labour MPs voted for a ceasefire, some losing their jobs, in order to appease a minority of their voters, is a depressingly cynical accusation to make if you don't mind me saying. Those 56 MPs come from right across the country, some from affluent white areas, and besides even if an MP has a constituency with a lot of Muslim voters what's wrong with representing their views? It's what MPs are supposed to do.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Jenrick getting his sorry arse handed to him by Victoria Derbyshire on Newsnight.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Is your MP Alex Sobel, then?

If not on the left of the party (he was Corbyn critical) then he is at least "leftish".

Anyway, there may be a couple of exceptions - but my general point holds. And again, I'm not judging by saying this.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Thu 16 Nov, 2023 12:41 am Is your MP Alex Sobel, then?
Nope.

And even if I were to accept your assertions (which I don't) there's a lot more than a couple of exceptions.