Friday 8th December 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 8th December 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 8th December 2023

Post by gilsey »

Good morning.

Thanks for the QT review, sky.
I wonder if the Labour powers-that-be had a word with Dodds, to be a bit more animated after her previous showing. Unfortunately there's sfa in the Labour prospectus to be enthusiastic about and it showed.

As for Monbiot
It was hard to disagree with anything he said.
That's because they didn't talk about farming, on which subject Monbiot is an obsessive crank.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Thanks as always Sky !

The image of StarmerLabour tumbleweeding itself into office , and then ... what ?

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

More hundreds of £millions down the drain from the Batshit Party --

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

MONBIOT

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1733 ... 19631.html

We should never underestimate the extent to which the BBC changed this country by giving endless airtime to Nigel Farage, other far right extremists and the Tufton Street junktanks, while shutting out progressive voices. 🧵
You might wonder what its game is: after all, they all profess to hate the BBC and want to defund it. But I've seen this organisation change beyond recognition since I stopped working for it, 36 years ago.
It's true that the BBC was never an impartial organisation. It has done the state's bidding, and blacklisted radicals, from the beginning. But it never possessed the self-immolatory character it has now. How did it happen? Appeasement.
I worked at the BBC from 1985-87. Last of the glory years. Yes, it was Establishment, but it also had a bold go-get-'em mentality. That's why Thatcher launched her coup against it, from which the BBC has never recovered. It was turned overnight into a cowering shadow of itself.
Since then, it has grovelled to anyone who has the power to beat it up. Who has that power in spades? The billionaire press. The BBC shifts and shifts and shifts to appease the insane demands of the Mail, Telegraph, Sun etc. But they cannot be appeased. They'll always want more.
So rather than providing a counterweight to the psychopathic, nation-destroying demands of offshore billionaires and their junktank stooges, the BBC amplifies them. But appeasement only makes your opponents stronger.
An important part of the media baron strategy is to persuade their readers that the BBC is a leftwing organisation. Even as it bows to their every demand, even as its panels give more and more airtime to the far right, they insist it's a nest of Trots. And people believe it!
Even if Farage were appointed BBC chair, the message in the papers would be that his job was to "root out leftwing bias". This is what needs to be understood: the billionaire press is *dissatisfied by design*. It will not and cannot be satisfied.
• • •
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I wonder who dropped out of qt, the person who drafted in Monbiot at the last minute will probably not be asked to do it again.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" The worst possible people at the worst possible time"

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

frog222 wrote: Fri 08 Dec, 2023 10:43 am More hundreds of £millions down the drain from the Batshit Party --

I would prefer it, if they make it clear that they think this is a bad thing and not just a waste of money.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

They have said that it is morally wrong on numerous occasions, but that is a line that pleases the party faithful rather than swing voters.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Oh, I forgot. They've got to get the important Tory vote.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Yes, they need people who voted Tory last time.

Or are you one of those who thinks it can all be done with largely mythical "non voters"? Mythical in the sense the hard left imagines them, I mean.

But yes, Labour also looks set to get quite a few people who usually vote for them but couldn't bring themselves to support Corbyn in 2019.

Plus previous LibDem and SNP voters.

This is how you actually win elections.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Ooh, you've pulled out the strawman early

No. They shouldn't be pushing the message "this plan is good, but the tories are wasting money on it" - and they have said this EXPLICITLY on more than one occasion. They shouldn't be tacking right (and they are very much doing that) to chase the worst of the UKIP/Tory vote (this is what they're doing).

I have no problem with them pointing out that people crossing in small boats is a BAD THING. But do it from the point of view that if they come here illegally, then we don't necessarily know they're here, if we do know they're here, we have to lock them up and deal with them (which is horrific in itself). If we do make the process 'formal', then they can contribute to society properly. And most of all - small boats are dangerous and people die in them - do something to save lives.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Just because some voters are cunts, you don't have to make your entire party that.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Straw men are basically what sustains the "Corbynite" left (yes I know you don't like that word being used but we all know what is meant by it)

How about "Starmer deliberately tanked the 2019 election with his Brexit policy so he could be leader" for starters?

You know, as if that year's European elections (which had even the likes of Abbott and McDonnell s****ing themselves) never happened.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

The wind must have shifted , Bruce attacking a Tory --

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

There is a "we've just noticed the polls" vibe coming from a few client journalist types recently.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Shane MacGowan's funeral was quite something, surely he'd never have imagined it would be live-streamed on the BBC, with the President in the front row.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Is uncritically reciting Rentoul where the left are now, then?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

A lot of Jonathan's YT's are very good, informative,

I just found myself re-watching this one !

Lovely day today, so swept my 7m stovepipe ,

all ready to pollute the surrounding fields :-)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

John Sweeney's statement resigning as a Jewish Chronicle contributor is well worth reading (its on his Twitter account)

In particular he calls out Douglas Murray for what he actually is.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Fri 08 Dec, 2023 10:22 pm Is uncritically reciting Rentoul where the left are now, then?
Fine, have the Daily Record with the same message:

Doesn't change the fact that it was a terrible message to put out and now makes him look like a complete tool, walking it back. Yes, let's sing the praises of a woman who did untold damage to this country. What's that? It's not a popular opinion? No problem, I have others.