Tuesday 12th December 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 12th December 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 12th December 2023

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morefternoon to anyone about.

Most people now seem to think the government will win today's vote, I am sure this will surprise few.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

So, this is a thing that happened
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Apologies for lowering the tone, but anyone looking for some new trousers?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Tue 12 Dec, 2023 6:14 pm So, this is a thing that happened
I suppose it's fitting that someone with fictional dog stuck on his head should be honoured for having his nose shoved up another man's arsehole.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

The Rwanda bill has passed first reading, by ~80 votes.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Tue 12 Dec, 2023 6:56 pm Apologies for lowering the tone, but anyone looking for some new trousers?
I mean it's not a bad idea but there's no way I'm lowering myself to wearing sweatpants like a pleb.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote: Tue 12 Dec, 2023 7:39 pm The Rwanda bill has passed first reading, by ~80 votes.
44 to be exact, so my post earlier today was correct.

Still a bit more than I expected, but a lot of people seem to be saying "wait until Third Reading".
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I don't think anyone seriously expected it to be voted down tonight did they? Despite that comical puffed up little prick Francois strutting around as if he's still relevant the headbangers simply don't have the numbers.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It is a major indictment of our media that they still take such an utterly ludicrous individual as Francois with any seriousness at all.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Here's Adam Boulton of all people calling the Rwanda bill fascist, hardly someone who could be accused of being a hysterical leftie. I strongly suspect it's a view shared by many 'one nation' Tories in private but they're too chickenshit to do anything about it. They'll mumble and grumble about 'reservations' but in the end self preservation will see them vote for it at its third reading.

Any sane person coming from outside would look askance at that bill wondering how in hell such insane fatuous nonsense could be put in front of parliament, however looking back there's a grim logic to it all which has nothing whatsoever to do with stopping people in boats crossing the channel.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Part of it is the horribly simplistic concept of "parliamentary sovereignty" that so many on the right have - in the past few days I have seen them challenged along the lines of "are you saying that if parliament decreed that 2+2=5 or elections should be permanently scrapped, this would be OK?" - and replying totally seriously and non-ironically "yes". Where to even start with that mindset?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Tue 12 Dec, 2023 11:28 pm Part of it is the horribly simplistic concept of "parliamentary sovereignty" that so many on the right have - in the past few days I have seen them challenged along the lines of "are you saying that if parliament decreed that 2+2=5 or elections should be permanently scrapped, this would be OK?" - and replying totally seriously and non-ironically "yes". Where to even start with that mindset?
Where to start would be to point out that they're talking bollocks and we have an unwritten constitution meaning 'parliamentary sovereignty' is merely an understanding between the courts and parliament with no basis in law. Even Tories like Geoffrey Cox were pointing it out during today's debate saying if you push the courts too far they'll eventually snap and we'll end up with a full on constitutional crisis.

It would be interesting to hear what's going on in some of the Tory backbench lawyers heads when they have to sit and listen to the absurd burble coming from Bill Cash and the other ERG 'star chamber' imbeciles. I bet it's not very flattering.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Imagining Joy Division.