Tuesday 30th December 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Tuesday 30th December 2014

Post by StephenDolan »

' A young adviser to Margaret Thatcher who is now a minister for David Cameron explicitly suggested that Scotland be used as a testing ground for the introduction of the poll tax, the flagship policy that was eventually to topple her as prime minister.

Oliver Letwin, now a Cabinet Office minister, emerges in official papers publicly released on Tuesday as the man who single-handedly kept the idea of the poll tax alive in the mid 1980s despite attempts by two senior ministers to strangle it at birth.

Downing Street files for 1985 and 1986 released at the National Archives show that it was Letwin, then just 29 but already working in Thatcher’s policy unit, who argued that the poll tax – then known as the residence charge – could be introduced in two stages.

“If you are not willing to move to a pure residence charge in England and Wales immediately, you should not introduce a mixture of taxes but should rather use the Scots as a trail-blazer for the real thing,” Letwin told Thatcher in a memo written in November 1985. Letwin, whose parents knew Thatcher, had got his job on the recommendation of the cabinet minister Sir Keith Joseph. '

Downing Street files reveal how Oliver Letwin kept poll tax plans alive

http://gu.com/p/44fn8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oops.

And morning all. Very frosty start to the day here.
Spacedone
Whip

Re: Tuesday 30th December 2014

Post by Spacedone »

The bit I found interesting in that Letwin story was where they were talking about trying it out on Scotland first so that they could sell it to the public in England and Wale as a good thing. Jump forward 30 years and we now have the same thing happening but this time it's Universal Credit and the North-West.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tures.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm waiting for the TPA to express an opinion on City Link and the cost to the, you know, tax payers.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Don't listen to 5Live if you have blood pressure problems. They're having a debate about Ebola. And everyone who phones in is an idiot and probably a racist. Why do people who are undeniably stupid feel such a need to air their opinions?
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Morning.

The main point I took from the releasing of the papers was the influence of the unelected ill-informed peers driving policy in particular Rothshild ,thirty years on and we have Freud.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Morning.

So she really was a mad old bat from day one then. Lord Scarman was nasty about the Met and we needed our own chemical weapons just in case". Vile creature. :fire:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Nothing changes, does it?

A Tory government in office (by fair means or foul) and we get -
A Royal Wedding
Riots
A Royal Baby
NHS collapse
Social Security experiments on anywhere which is not the Home Counties
Pratting about over the EU

There's plenty more. This is like the 80s all over again.

I want Labour to win the GE - but do i feel sorry for them, and the chaos they'll be left with.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all - re the genius (cough) that is Oliver Letwin - may I remind you of this someone posted a few days back:
Chris Smyth ‏@Smyth_Chris 18m18 minutes ago
Oliver Letwin drafted in to help NHS avoid A&E crisis this winter, @FT reports. What could possibly go wrong?
So we have the bloke responsible for the poll tax disaster being enacted on Scotland ... and subsequently rUK ... and who was caught opening and putting confidential correspondenc from his constituents into the waste bin in the local Westminster park .....

now he's sorting out the A&E crisis .....

Cameron and Hunt need their heads banging together (or capital letters swopping ... or both). They're a very bad variety act - with no better gags to fall back on when they are clearly faltering.
Working on the wild side.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tures.html

I'm waiting for the TPA to express an opinion on City Link and the cost to the, you know, tax payers.
Indeed. This article, from the Independent, covers it pretty well -
City Link collapse: Owner recoups £20m as taxpayers foot bill for redundancies
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ci ... 49024.html

Good morning, everyone. Bit (more) parky today. Very pretty outside (when viewed from the inside). God knows what my heating bill will be like.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Ukip green policy: Climate change 'open to question' says energy spokesman Roger Helmer

Mr Helmer, Ukip MEP for the East Midlands and a former businessman, also defended the Big Six energy firms saying they had been scapegoated for high gas prices, and urged the country to get a move on with fracking. (Independent - my emphasis)
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 49125.html
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nick Clegg’s New Year Message: 2015: a year of hope and optimism for all
http://www.libdemvoice.org/nick-cleggs- ... l#comments
I know noone's New Year will be complete without hearing from Clegg .... there's a video and the text of the speech if you follow the link. From the embedded video image his face looks to have all the cheer of a sulky 10 year old boy told he can't play on the computer unless it's in a room full of grown ups ...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ukip hires City barrister to keep 'bad stuff' hidden, leaked documents reveal
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk ... ep-4891249
... National executive committee meeting minutes from June 2013 detail how Matthew Richardson became Ukip secretary.

They state Mr Richardson’s role as party secretary would be deciding “whether to take injunctions out” when Ukip is criticised in the media.

And they suggest the party may have skeletons in the closet which he has been tasked to hide.

The minutes state: “We need to ensure all of the bad stuff is kept out of the public domain.

“As party secretary (Mr Richardson) would try to ensure that we keep a tight reign on things.”

The revelation is damaging for Ukip chief Nigel Farage, who tries to present his party as a ‘people’s army’ which does not indulge in typical Westminster spin...
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Ukip hires City barrister to keep 'bad stuff' hidden, leaked documents reveal
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk ... ep-4891249
... National executive committee meeting minutes from June 2013 detail how Matthew Richardson became Ukip secretary.

They state Mr Richardson’s role as party secretary would be deciding “whether to take injunctions out” when Ukip is criticised in the media.

And they suggest the party may have skeletons in the closet which he has been tasked to hide.

The minutes state: “We need to ensure all of the bad stuff is kept out of the public domain.

“As party secretary (Mr Richardson) would try to ensure that we keep a tight reign on things.”

The revelation is damaging for Ukip chief Nigel Farage, who tries to present his party as a ‘people’s army’ which does not indulge in typical Westminster spin...
Wouldn't "keep 'bad stuff' hidden" mean having to suppress their manifesto?
The truth ferret speaks!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Just been reading the FT on the bits from the archive about the introduction of the Big Bang

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f3c0d500-8537 ... z3NNeRFsIf
David Willetts, who was in the policy unit of 10 Downing Street, told the prime minister in a memo in 1985 that sudden financial deregulation could lead to “unethical behaviour” and ultimately to “boom and bust” as banks became more competitive. “Some things were bound to go wrong,” he said in a memo.
Very sensible.
But John Redwood, head of the policy unit — and a future minister — reassured the prime minister that greater competition would minimise wrongdoing in the City. “The basic common sense of the British public . . . will not be tempted into Get-Rich-Quick Limited,” he told her.
:rofl:

Has there ever been a politician that has been so wrong about everything as Redwood?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

BBC pulls controversial royal documentary about spin after death of Princess Diana
Radio Times reveals last-minute decision to postpone BBC2 broadcast followed legal intervention

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-12- ... cess-diana
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Let’s mark Debbie Purdy’s death by legalising assisted dying
The best way to honour the right-to-die campaigner would be for MPs to push through Lord Falconer’s dignity in dying bill
(Guardian)
It's totally inhumane, in what likes to call itself a civilised country, that Debbie Purdy had to suffer in the way that she did.

On this occasion, I agree with Simon Jenkins (author of the following linked article).

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... coner-bill

Edited

"t" for "T"
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 30 Dec, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 13: HAMPSHIRE (PART 1)
http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2014/12/2 ... um=twitter
GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 14: HAMPSHIRE (PART 2)
http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2014/12/3 ... um=twitter
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
Let’s mark Debbie Purdy’s death by legalising assisted dying
The best way to honour the right-to-die campaigner would be for MPs to push through Lord Falconer’s dignity in dying bill
(Guardian)
It's totally inhumane, in what likes to call itself a civilised country, that Debbie Purdy had to suffer in the way that she did.

On this occasion, I agree with Simon Jenkins (author of the following linked article).

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... coner-bill

Edited

"t" for "T"
Agree. She was an extraordinary woman - very sad that she had to end her own life like that ... had to effectively be a political protest right to the end. I also found it very moving that she said she didn't have the money to be able to go to Switzerland to die ... and how that shows up yet another divide.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

This time Hopkins has gone to far and really should be prosecuted

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is beyond anything remotely acceptable as "Oh its just her"
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Groan awards are up at the politics blog. It says a lot for mobile friendly beta that I was only able to post on my mobile device using the non beta link.
Release the Guardvarks.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I know noone's New Year will be complete without hearing from Clegg .... there's a video and the text of the speech if you follow the link. From the embedded video image his face looks to have all the cheer of a sulky 10 year old boy told he can't play on the computer unless it's in a room full of grown ups ...

That won't play for me, says the 'video is private' when I try and play it.
Maybe even the Lib Dem zombies have realised it is crap.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

AngryAsWell wrote:This time Hopkins has gone to far and really should be prosecuted

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is beyond anything remotely acceptable as "Oh its just her"
Remind me, what's so bad about censorship?
The truth ferret speaks!
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 21 mins21 minutes ago

Newsnight named Worst Comedy of 2014 by @DailyMirror TV critic @hylandian :-)
:lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Jason Manford furious at David Cameron for 'failing the NHS' as he waits hours at hospital
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ja ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

That won't play for me, says the 'video is private' when I try and play it.
Maybe even the Lib Dem zombies have realised it is crap.
[youtube]peLNazqUYSU[/youtube] Is this the same one ..
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks Toby.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

What a strange video, the constant soundtrack paying all the way through with the sound levels almost the same volume as St Nick is a huge distraction. Maybe that was the point.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The bit about telling us who to blame is a bit of a joke, Clegg and his little elfs have spent the last 5 years blaming Labour.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I see that resident LibDem troll petercs has called this site "smug" at the other place.

Earlier there today, he posted one of the most smug and delusional contributions that I can recall.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

There needs to be a place established for pathological self publicists and publicity seekers ... especially those that churn out nastiness and / or utter drivel purely for attention.

Into this special place - the room 101 for mirror gazing, twitter obsessives - I would first of all put:

Katie Hopkins
Louise Mensch
Simon Danczuk and
Karen Danczuk

The door should be locked and bolted and key thrown away. The room will be utterly sound proof, no internet, no radio, no form of communication with the outside world possible - not even shouting or whining.

Feel free to add other inhabitants to this room.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

I'd sooner be smug than be a Lib Dem.

Far worse failings to be had as a person.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:There needs to be a place established for pathological self publicists and publicity seekers ... especially those that churn out nastiness and / or utter drivel purely for attention.

Into this special place - the room 101 for mirror gazing, twitter obsessives - I would first of all put:

Katie Hopkins
Louise Mensch
Simon Danczuk and
Karen Danczuk

The door should be locked and bolted and key thrown away. The room will be utterly sound proof, no internet, no radio, no form of communication with the outside world possible - not even shouting or whining.

That list reminds me of the old joke about the IRA capturing Maggie Thatcher, Iain Paisley and Daniel O'Donnell, but they only have two bullets, so they shoot Daniel O'Donnell twice to be sure.
The truth ferret speaks!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I see that resident LibDem troll petercs has called this site "smug" at the other place.

Earlier there today, he posted one of the most smug and delusional contributions that I can recall.
Yes he did, but at least he cared enough to notice the site.
Release the Guardvarks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Talking of which, OpenSeas has "promised" us he will pop over here in the new year :lol:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

rebeccariots2 wrote:There needs to be a place established for pathological self publicists and publicity seekers ... especially those that churn out nastiness and / or utter drivel purely for attention.

Katie Hopkins
Louise Mensch
Simon Danczuk and
Karen Danczuk

Ooh, where to start? From the Beeb, Dimbleby, Neil, Stratton, Dimbleby2, Robinson, Lansdale, Coburn, Vine, Patten, Humphrys, Webb. Journos will include one-tune Dan, Watt, Wintour and Crace, anyone from the S(un/tar). Owen Paterson causes my brain particular annoyance on account of him being not only stupid but also offensive. The whole of UKIP of course. I've left a few out for others to add.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I see that resident LibDem troll petercs has called this site "smug" at the other place.

No change there then.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Yes he did, but at least he cared enough to notice the site.
Obviously been popping over here for a crafty peek.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
He's quite fair minded, isn't he?

Even so, when you read the predictions you realise how bleak the South is for Labour. He's probably right about Kent being very bad again. It's funny the odd places where Labour are competitive- Bedford, Waveney, Great Yarmouth, Hastings.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

frightful_oik wrote:

Katie Hopkins
Louise Mensch
Simon Danczuk and
Karen Danczuk

Ooh, where to start? From the Beeb, Dimbleby, Neil, Stratton, Dimbleby2, Robinson, Lansdale, Coburn, Vine, Patten, Humphrys, Webb. Journos will include one-tune Dan, Watt, Wintour and Crace, anyone from the S(un/tar). Owen Paterson causes my brain particular annoyance on account of him being not only stupid but also offensive. The whole of UKIP of course. I've left a few out for others to add.
About time Edwina Bloody Currie disappeared for good, or at least quietly went away to spend more time with the slugs & creepy crawlies.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
He's quite fair minded, isn't he?

Even so, when you read the predictions you realise how bleak the South is for Labour. He's probably right about Kent being very bad again. It's funny the odd places where Labour are competitive- Bedford, Waveney, Great Yarmouth, Hastings.
Yes - he is pretty fair minded - he's a polite Tory - so are Tim Montgomerie and Isabel Hardman usually. Oh - and I'd include Rory Stewart in that list.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Toby Latimer wrote:About time Edwina Bloody Currie disappeared for good, or at least quietly went away to spend more time with the slugs & creepy crawlies.
No change there then. :D
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good afternoon, everyone. I'm still visiting family but posting more than usual on the other place - especially over the CityLink debacle.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... our-people" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any thoughts on the article above? I'll go look below the line.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Polite Tory, that's quite an accolade these days. So many are obnoxious.

Danny Finkelstein is very pleasant on Twitter too.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

John Major on Edwina Currie (not literally) and defending her. before we knew their little secret. A young looking Gordon Brown at the side of him too [youtube]2aJGz0r9-pY[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

NATIONAL POLICY FORUM REPORT 2014

Angela Eagle MP
Chair of the National Policy Forum Forword

This policy programme is the result of three
years of dialogue and discussion that has
involved hundreds and thousands of people
across the country. The fact that the National
Policy Forum agreed the programme through
consensus demonstrates the unity of purpose in
our movement.

Since being elected Chair of the NPF two
years ago, I have prioritised reforming our
policy process to make it more meaningful,
transparent and engaging. I want to thank all
those who have been involved in constructing
this programme for the commitment and
hard work which they have put in. I hope that
you’ll agree that together we’ve made a real
difference. I want to thank my predecessor
Peter Hain for the work he did to get Agenda
2015 underway.

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN
GENERATIONS PEOPLE ARE
WORRIED THAT THEIR CHILDREN
WILL DO WORSE THAN THEM, NOT
BETTER. THE POLICY PROGRAMME
THAT FOLLOWS OFFERS THE
RADICAL SOLUTIONS WE NEED TO
TURN THAT SITUATION AROUND.

As Chair of the NPF and the NEC I’ve also
wanted to reaffirm the importance of equality
to Labour’s mission. I therefore asked the
NPF to agree a short overarching statement
at the beginning of this policy document.
This statement reflects the fact that across all
areas of policy, Labour in government will
always seek to use power to break down the
structural, social and institutional inequality
and discrimination that holds people back from
sharing in prosperity and playing their part in
society. That statement can be found opposite.
This is a radical policy programme that
speaks to our values and purpose as a Party.
I commend it to Annual Conference as a
platform for an election winning manifesto and
a radical transformative first term back where
we can best serve the interests of the British
people - in government.

Angela Eagle MP
Chair of the National Policy Forum

Labour is the Party of equality. We believe that
no person should suffer discrimination or a lack
of opportunity because of their gender, gender
identity, age, disability, race, religion or belief,
socio-economic status or sexual orientation.
In government, every decision we take will be
taken with that in mind. We will ensure the
policies across these eight documents and in
our manifesto will be implemented ensuring
that they further rather than hinder this cause.
Labour has always led the fight for equality,
but our fight is not yet won. We will not rest
until everyone can live their lives free from
hatred, fear and oppression. In government
we will work to remove the structural and
social barriers that stand in our way.

http://www.yourbritain.org.uk/uploads/e ... t_2014.pdf
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Scratching about on Youtube, I came across this intro (with voiceover announcing the same) for an old Spitting Image episode. Just shows how feeble & compliant the media has become today.
ScreenShot00172.jpg
ScreenShot00172.jpg (102.45 KiB) Viewed 16582 times
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Here's the video [youtube]jjKXLdcsay0[/youtube]
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Getting a bit close to supper time to be reminded of Major & Currie making the beast with two backs.

Major sued Scallywag for saying [wrongly, to be fair] that he was having an affair with a No 10 cook, all the while knowing that the libel was partly correct and Currie was his paramour.
The cook said later she felt set up about the whole thing.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Toby Latimer wrote:Scratching about on Youtube, I came across this intro (with voiceover announcing the same) for an old Spitting Image episode. Just shows how feeble & compliant the media has become today.
ScreenShot00172.jpg
Thanks for pointing that out. You're right. You'd never see it these days. The yellow lily livered bastards :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Getting a bit close to supper time to be reminded of Major & Currie making the beast with two backs.

Major sued Scallywag for saying [wrongly, to be fair] that he was having an affair with a No 10 cook, all the while knowing that the libel was partly correct and Currie was his paramour.
The cook said later she felt set up about the whole thing.
Easy mistake. Cook --- Curry. :rock: