Friday 15th December 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 15th December 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 15th December 2023

Post by gilsey »

Good morning.

Rishi's reverse midas touch strikes again.
A council in one of the wealthiest parts of the UK has warned it faces potential bankruptcy due to the “devastating” impact of cancelling the northern leg of HS2.

Leaders of Cheshire East council in north-west England said the authority had spent £11m preparing for the high-speed rail link, and this would now have to be written off. Most of this money – £8.6m – had been funded by borrowing and would now have to be funded from the council’s already stretched revenue budget.

As a result, the council, which is a unitary authority covering Crewe and Macclesfield, could be forced to trigger a section 114 notice, in effect declaring bankruptcy, according to a report by council officers.

Cheshire East council said it faced “direct and devastating impacts” from Rishi Sunak’s decision to abandon HS2 north of Birmingham. It said these impacts were not mitigated by the government’s “network north” proposals which were released to quell widespread anger from political and business leaders over the axing of HS2.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... ncellation
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Whilst the HS2 thing is what has finally set this off, the council had years of previous misrule by the Tories before this May.

(it featured more than once in the Rotten Boroughs section of Private Eye)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

More evidence that Labour's pandering to the right on immigration is a deeply flawed strategy.

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I usually have a lot of time for Sam Freedman but this is way off the mark. I've barely seen any personal attacks on Kate Andrews, just a lot of people questioning why she's been so ubiquitous on the BBC for years and why they've repeatedly failed to inform their audience of her background.

Here for example is Kate in 2016 explaining why guns are great. Absolutely no mention of the fact that she's a paid political lobbyist. She's simply referred to as 'a 25-year-old American woman'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-35233637

At the time she was working for the IEA and appearing on Question Time explaining how Brexit was going to make us all rich.

notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Fri 15 Dec, 2023 2:51 pm I usually have a lot of time for Sam Freedman but this is way off the mark. I've barely seen any personal attacks on Kate Andrews, just a lot of people questioning why she's been so ubiquitous on the BBC for years and why they've repeatedly failed to inform their audience of her background.
Not that I'm defending her (God forbid!) but she said on Question Time that the Rwanda policy was a "cruel gimmick".
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

The problem isn't really any individual like Andrews, but Tufton Street more generally and the deference our media mostly shows towards it.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

So, the jury is back in the Guliani trial. $148M total damages. (thread)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

8-)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

notnowsonny wrote: Fri 15 Dec, 2023 3:09 pm
Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Fri 15 Dec, 2023 2:51 pm I usually have a lot of time for Sam Freedman but this is way off the mark. I've barely seen any personal attacks on Kate Andrews, just a lot of people questioning why she's been so ubiquitous on the BBC for years and why they've repeatedly failed to inform their audience of her background.
Not that I'm defending her (God forbid!) but she said on Question Time that the Rwanda policy was a "cruel gimmick".
Stopped clock etc.

Usually she talks a load of shite imo, does that count as a personal attack?
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

@gilsey
Credit where it’s due, however begrudging!
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

No credit is due, because why should I want to know her opinion? The BBC have never explained.

Listening to her is worse than listening to the BBC's beloved vox pops, some random geezer stopped in the street to have their two penn'orth on a subject of which they have no knowledge or understanding. They don't usually have an agenda, but she does.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Just walked home from the pub and the breeze was warm at night. What month is this?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

gilsey wrote: Fri 15 Dec, 2023 11:29 pm No credit is due, because why should I want to know her opinion? The BBC have never explained.
Not only have they never explained they've gone out of their way not to explain.

Freedman tries to make the case that young right wing commentators are as rare as hen's teeth so of course we keep seeing the same ones over and over again but as a long time QT viewer it just doesn't stack up. They have a vast swathe of right wing commentators and journalists to choose from yet they always seem to keep fishing from the same shallow puddle.

As you say her views are irrelevant. It's not what she thinks but why she's been given a platform by the BBC for over a decade.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »