Thursday 21st December 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 21st December 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 21st December 2023

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morefternoon, all.

Am wrapping up my Christmas stuff today, at least I haven't left it to the last minute this year.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

How do you cock up an Xmas card?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I mean, who cares?

It will be hard to beat that one that had Tony Blair looking totally furious, anyway.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

]
refitman wrote: Thu 21 Dec, 2023 1:45 pm
It cut off the note
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

All going splendidly on the population immunity experiment front --

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Thu 21 Dec, 2023 1:09 pm It will be hard to beat that one that had Tony Blair looking totally furious, anyway.
Presumably when you open it up it says, "I'm going to murder you all in your beds."

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Atkins will soon be 48 and it's perhaps possible that depending on their career- path some 'junior doctors' may be the same age as her --
“” Junior doctor Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Junior_doctor
Doctors typically may be junior doctors for 8–20 years, and this may be extended by doing research towards a higher degree, for example towards a Doctor of … ”
and dwarf her own experience as a barrister for a few years and then a well-connected hereditary politician .

Work experience --

Victoria Atkins, Sec. for Health & Social Care
– MP since 2015 (<8 yrs)
– she's been a Minister 4 times
– each role lasted <1 year
– she has no medical, healthcare or social care qualifications
– she has 37 days experience as Health Sec.
– she's more 'intern' than Minister
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

@ Sky

If you do travel (remembering the three-hour 'discussion' on that) I hope you have better luck than these people !

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

That Blair card is actually doing my head in, the more you look at his face the more malevolently evil he appears. It's like something out of a Japanese horror film.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

frog222 wrote: Thu 21 Dec, 2023 2:34 pm All going splendidly on the population immunity experiment front --
A bloke in one of the flats upstairs has it bad at the moment, he spent all of Monday feverishly shivering in bed. He works for a security company and they keep hassling him to come into work despite knowing he's sick with Covid. it's absolute madness.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Thu 21 Dec, 2023 3:03 pm That Blair card is actually doing my head in, the more you look at his face the more malevolently evil he appears. It's like something out of a Japanese horror film.
I'm still utterly fascinated as to how it ever got "approved".
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Thu 21 Dec, 2023 3:03 pm That Blair card is actually doing my head in, the more you look at his face the more malevolently evil he appears. It's like something out of a Japanese horror film.
It may be utterly terrifying, but at least they're both in the same room together. And the correct size.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Rail chaos today with Euston temporarily closed, I see.

Just as well we haven't just cancelled a major rail project that might improve matters there.....oh.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Must be great being a Tory-leaning teacher - every job at the DfE is open to you.

Keegan’s policy aide to advise new Ofsted chief

A key policy aide to Gillian Keegan will become new Ofsted chief Sir Martyn Oliver’s lead adviser, Schools Week has learned.

Rory Gribbell, a senior policy adviser who also previously led on education issues at Downing Street, will take up the role on secondment from the Department for Education early next month.

Oliver will take the reins at the watchdog from Amanda Spielman on January 1.
Teaching experience?

Two years from 2014 to 2016.

Then Teacher In Residence with Nick Gibb.

Four years at the DfE - then onto No 10 for three years, then back to the DfE.

Did he ever have an Ofsted visit when he was teaching I wonder?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

And...oh look...a climbdown. that didn't take long.

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Well that's my Christmas up and running. Made my own Christmas dinner before heading North to have another one. Potatoes, carrots and parsnip roasted in garlic and parsley butter, along with turkey, sausages and stuffing all doused in a caramelised onion and red wine gravy. Not bad at all if I do say so myself, even though I forgot the cranberry sauce.

As is traditional I then watched an anime film while drinking a nice bottle of Italian red. All paid for with saved Tesco clubcard coupons.

The anime this year was...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16428256/

And it was absolutely brilliant. I thought it might be a bit soppy but the long haired bloke I supposed was going to be the love interest got turned into a small three legged chair and spent most of the film chasing a magical cat while trying to stop a giant swirling worm thing from causing natural disasters. If I've learned anything from watching anime it's that these kind of things happen all the time in Japan so I should have seen it coming.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Thu 21 Dec, 2023 7:07 pm It may be utterly terrifying, but at least they're both in the same room together. And the correct size.
Starmer's one does look like the effort of an artistically retarded child let loose on Photoshop, but it's so garishly naff I kind of like it, whereas Blair looks like he's about to swallow my soul so if I were given the choice of which one to put up I'd be going with the Starmer one purely for reasons of self preservation.

Comparing Starmer's card to the original picture though, do my eyes deceive me or have they changed it to make him taller than his wife? It looks to me like they've shrunk her head and upper body just enough to make him appear taller without making her look like a freak. I wonder how she feels about that? I mean they could at least have made her of equal size rather than shrinking her further. In fact the more I look at it the worse it gets. Blair may be out to eat my brains but what does it say to all the women in Starmer's Labour party if he's prepared to shrink his wife on a Christmas card so he looks all tall and manly? You're right refit. I'm ashamed to admit that once again I was taken in by sparkles and glitter.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So using both images, some basic maths and this online ruler...

https://www.ginifab.com/feeds/cm_to_inc ... image.html

I can confirm that Victoria Starmer's head has been shrunk by approx 5% compared to her husband's on the Christmas card.

Nothing says equality for all and respect for women like shrinking your wife.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

RogerOThornhill wrote: Thu 21 Dec, 2023 7:30 pm And...oh look...a climbdown. that didn't take long.
Would it have happened without all the hypocritical bleating in the Telegraph and Spectator though?

This is a compromise which is the result of upsetting the Tories own cheerleaders rather than any objections Labour has raised.

Because Labour raised precisely none, shadow ministers went out on the TV rounds and agreed with the 38,000 minimum income threshold.

Or at least that's how I remember it.

Maybe now if we look back at those interviews they will appear different with crudely overdubbed voices and male shadow ministers towering over Kay Burley who weirdly seems to have shrunk to the size of a small squirrel.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Anyway this will be my last appearance before heading North for Christmas.

I hope you all have a good one.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Safe journey and marry Christmas Sky. I'm going in the opposite direction tomorrow.