Weds 31st December 2014 & Thurs 1st January 2015 - NEW YEAR

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Weds 31st December 2014 & Thurs 1st January 2015 - NEW YEAR

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Where are you all?

Good morning peeps.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Weds 31st December 2014 & Thurs 1st January 2015 - NEW Y

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Austin Mitchell ‏@AVMitchell2010 10m10 minutes ago Wakefield, England
Tony.Thank you for your views which are noted.Now kindly return to counting your money
Just occasionally he says something I agree with ...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning !

Lib Dems up to their usual tricks again, the Party That Dare Not Speak Its Name.

New Year leaflets from the Lost Deposits, one tweeted by Lib Dem Mike Smithson from his holiday cottage.

Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

A funny coincidence, coming after Ian Dury was mentioned the other day - Charlie Brooker last night revisited ''Reasons To Be Cheerful'' at the end of his 2014 Wipe review of the year, jamming along with the original Blockheads & changing the lyrics from 'Cheerful' to 'Fearful' [youtube]XTU-7aLmhlo[/youtube]
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Same in Torbay
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6I_IJ_CYAE3AG1.jpg:large" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Criticism from Blair again eh, who'd have thunk it ? I suspect many left leaning voters will be overjoyed if Blair is correct.
Late in 2002 Lady Thatcher came to Hampshire to speak at a dinner for me. Taking her round at the reception one of the guests asked her what was her greatest achievement. She replied, "Tony Blair and New Labour. We forced our opponents to change their minds."

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/centr ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Did Cameron once say he was the Heir to Blair or is that just an urban myth
tony-blair-david-cameron2.jpg
tony-blair-david-cameron2.jpg (16.06 KiB) Viewed 19880 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

++New Years Honours 2015: Paddy Ashdown becomes a Companion of Honour
http://www.libdemvoice.org/new-years-ho ... 43974.html
Well those that bestow these things obviously have a finely developed sense of humour / irony to give that particular 'title' to ol Paddy Pantsdown.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

It's good of the BBC to be 'concerned' for Ed Miliband and his chances of winning in May. http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30586539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Toby Latimer wrote:Did Cameron once say he was the Heir to Blair or is that just an urban myth
tony-blair-david-cameron2.jpg

' David Cameron has admitted that he made a mistake by branding himself the ‘heir to Blair’.

The Tory leader offered an olive branch to party traditionalists whose support he will need if there is a hung parliament, conceding that his makeover of the party alienated many.

In an interview with the Daily Mail, Mr Cameron also admitted that he had needlessly insulted grassroots supporters over their backing for grammar schools.

The Tory leader insisted that he was right to modernise his party in a bid to make it more acceptable to floating voters after three successive election defeats.

But Mr Cameron insisted that his political creed is rooted in traditional Tory values.

When he was first running for the Tory leadership, Mr Cameron raised eyebrows when it came to light in 2005 that he had described himself as the ‘heir to Blair’.

The Tory leader said: ‘If I used that phrase, I regret it. The point I was trying to make is this that if you are going to succeed in changing your country for the better, you have to know where it’s come from. '
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/electio ... stake.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Off to work for a little bit - yes really. Those weeds, those weeds, those damn weeds.

See you later.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all. Cold and frosty start today - the cat looked back at me when I closed the door behind her with a look that said "Oi! I want to come back in soon!"

That knighthood for David Amess...not connected to the thought that he might have been on the way to UKIP by any chance?
Southend MP David Amess is known to agree with Ukip on many issues, not least Europe. He is also socially conservative – strongly anti-abortion, for example, which could see him move over. He has not made any public comment about it as yet.
http://www.cityam.com/1409301615/after- ... -ship-ukip

I really can't think of any other good reason why he'd get one.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Never understand why failed politicians & mostly weird showbiz luvvies are recognized as being something special and in the process get their already inflated ego boosted anyhow, this tweet summed it up
ScreenShot00173.jpg
ScreenShot00173.jpg (149.8 KiB) Viewed 19864 times
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all. Cold and frosty start today - the cat looked back at me when I closed the door behind her with a look that said "Oi! I want to come back in soon!"

That knighthood for David Amess...not connected to the thought that he might have been on the way to UKIP by any chance?
Southend MP David Amess is known to agree with Ukip on many issues, not least Europe. He is also socially conservative – strongly anti-abortion, for example, which could see him move over. He has not made any public comment about it as yet.
http://www.cityam.com/1409301615/after- ... -ship-ukip

I really can't think of any other good reason why he'd get one.
Could it have been for this - from 2mins 23?

[youtube]Xbq3kc29Tmg[/youtube]
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Toby Latimer wrote:Never understand why failed politicians & mostly weird showbiz luvvies are recognized as being something special and in the process get their already inflated ego boosted anyhow, this tweet summed it up
ScreenShot00173.jpg

You can't beat schmoozing with the great and good, even better, invite them round for Christmas.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Guy's & St Thomas's NHS Trust in London has set up a food bank for staff!!

http://www.londonhealthcommission.org.u ... London.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

You are undoubtedly right about over inflated luvvie egos TL but, all the same, I am rather pleased about the awards for John Hurt & Kristin Scott Thomas; I am rather less impressed by the awards for Esther Rantzen and Fiona Woolf, which send out some very mixed messages vis a vis the CSA inquiry - or, to be more accurate, sends out a very loud & clear message (of the two fingered variety) to the survivors and campaigners fighting for justice.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:You are undoubtedly right about over inflated luvvie egos TL but, all the same, I am rather pleased about the awards for John Hurt & Kristin Scott Thomas; I am rather less impressed by the awards for Esther Rantzen and Fiona Woolf, which send out some very mixed messages vis a vis the CSA inquiry - or, to be more accurate, sends out a very loud & clear message (of the two fingered variety) to the survivors and campaigners fighting for justice.
James Corden's OBE isn't going down too well
'He’s as funny as a dipped chocolate biscuit drifting to the bottom of your tea cup'
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 51181.html
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Groan ticker Breaking news: Tony Blair says his reported doubts about Ed Miliband's election prospects have been 'misinterpreted' and he fully supports Labour leader. More details soon …

Blue eyes, baby's got blue eyes
tony-blair oooppp.jpg
tony-blair oooppp.jpg (56.56 KiB) Viewed 19801 times
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Blair apparently was misinterpreted, yeah, sure he was, an operator like him often gives out wrong feelers during interviews! :toss:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Next time some arse-wipe describes Miliband as ''anti-business'' remember this, ones on the side of decency know which they prefer.

TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Blair apparently was misinterpreted, yeah, sure he was, an operator like him often gives out wrong feelers during interviews! :toss:

To be fair the Indy headline said Blair brands Miliband a loser. There was nothing in Blair's interview to back that up. I think Blair just spouts stuff these days without really thinking about it.

I imagine Ed has phoned Tony up and told him if he doesn't shut up Labour will make it a manifesto commitment to establish a judicial process to determine whether Blair's decision to go to war in Iraq constitutes a war crime.

Which it probably doesn't but the threat of it should be stuck in front of him.
Release the Guardvarks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

On that topic, anybody think that Chilcot is being kept back for just before the GE?

Wouldn't put it past Cameron and Crosby - though, of course, it might not have the effect that they hope. Again.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:On that topic, anybody think that Chilcot is being kept back for just before the GE?

Wouldn't put it past Cameron and Crosby - though, of course, it might not have the effect that they hope. Again.
Fortunately Miliband wasn't in the Commons then and I don't even think he was even in the country since wiki has him teaching at Harvard from mid-2002 until Jan 2004. The vote was in March 2003..and of course Cameron voted For.

Not that much of a vote-winner I'd say.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

The Evilest Person of the Year Award 2014; (Top 20) [youtube]di54dHcrmG4[/youtube]
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:On that topic, anybody think that Chilcot is being kept back for just before the GE?

Fortunately Miliband wasn't in the Commons then and I don't even think he was even in the country since wiki has him teaching at Harvard from mid-2002 until Jan 2004. The vote was in March 2003..and of course Cameron voted For.

But our totally unbiased and objective MSM might not see it that way :roll:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Paul Krugman accuses Osborne of ''intellectual dishonesty'' something we are all aware of, what's more dishonest are the columnists who know this and take a hands off approach.

http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/28287 ... in-britain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Paul Krugman accuses Osborne of ''intellectual dishonesty'' something we are all aware of, what's more dishonest are the columnists who know this and take a hands off approach.

http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/28287 ... in-britain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's nothing intellectual about it :evil:
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Didn't someone on here suggest this should happen?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebri ... itter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

danesclose wrote:Guy's & St Thomas's NHS Trust in London has set up a food bank for staff!!

http://www.londonhealthcommission.org.u ... London.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Indeed it has - on page 89 of the report, it cites this as part of its recruitment and retention policy.

They need the staff - but they can't pay them enough to keep them thanks to exorbitant rents.
So the answer is to give them food from a food bank.

Guys and Tommies used to have masses of on-site accommodation. Not just nurses' homes, but also flats and houses for doctors and their families. In the 80s, many nurses lived "in" and in some places (Barts comes to mind) there were flats/bedsits on the wards where the sisters lived, and on-call rooms where the duty doctors could sleep.
I only moved out of hospital accommodation when the ex and I bought our first flat in London. Back then, nurses' salaries could run to that. We had been able to save on quite low wages because we'd lived "in" for years - but that's not an option for any nurses now, even the students.

So NHS staff now rent from the private sector, which in that catchment area has studio flats on Zoopla starting at more than £1000 PCM. A Band 5 newly qualified RN gets £21,176 plus London Weighting. It works out at about £15/hour. You will spend more than half your pay on rent alone - even for a shoebox.
Thornbury Agency nurses start at £30/hour, rising to £68/hour for Bank Holidays. Thornbury HCAs get more than NHS RN's.

If NHS staff working in London can't live without recourse to a food bank, no wonder they're leaving in droves.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

But our totally unbiased and objective MSM might not see it that way :roll:
I don't doubt that it has been considered and may still be in their minds to try it; but, as Rog suggests, they are just as culpable (IDS was positively salivating at the thought and shouting for action long before any sexed up dossiers made an appearance) so it could prove something of an own goal. And previous attempts to smear Miliband (Dacre's "Man Who Hated Britain", Hodge/Wintour/et al with their "20 Ministers" spiel) were utterly counter-productive, so I can't imagine Lynton being too pleased is somebody blinks first and breaks ranks at the vital moment.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This comes in the Well I Never category...

Risk protection arrangement (RPA) actuarial analysis

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... l-analysis
The findings of this report demonstrate that significant insurance costs could be saved if risks are covered by the UK Government rather than insurance being taken out by individual academy trusts.
So it basically boils down to the DfE giving academies all that freedom away from the iron grip of the local authority, academies then find that insurance cost are far higher than they're used to...and the DfE says "Oh, OK...we'll design a scheme to cover you from within the DfE"

:roll:

I remember talking to one of our Borough finance people who said that one of the very few schools who went down the academy route took one look at legal service costs outside...and jumped straight back into the Borough scheme.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AAARGHHHHH!

POST SOMETHING, ANYTHING!

Phew - that's better - he's gone now...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Parcel rival offers jobs lifeline to City Link staff, as it is revealed millions of pounds were taken out of firm in run up to collapse

Glad about the job offers but ....

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news ... z3NTyMYZgG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Miliband releases New Year message – “The chance to change direction”

http://labourlist.org/2014/12/miliband- ... direction/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AngryAsWell wrote:Parcel rival offers jobs lifeline to City Link staff, as it is revealed millions of pounds were taken out of firm in run up to collapse

Glad about the job offers but ....

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news ... z3NTyMYZgG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The way that the investment was structured i.e. as a secured loan in order to benefit from winding up rules, the companies registered in Guernsey, and that money going to Better Capital before all of a sudden on Christmas Eve they decide they are insolvent, tells you everything you need about the rotten heart of capitalism today.

Capital 1 Workers 0 (45 minutes on a sloping pitch with the ref in capital's back pocket)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:Miliband releases New Year message – “The chance to change direction”

http://labourlist.org/2014/12/miliband- ... direction/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(can anyone put the link to the vid in please?) ta :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 16: DORSET
http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2014/12/3 ... um=twitter
GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 17: GLOUCESTERSHIRE
http://iaindale.com/posts/2014/12/31/ge ... estershire
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I see that some are still posting on yesterday's readers edition over at the other place.

There *is* one up for today, but it is remarkably well hidden by the Graun - invisible on its politics page :roll:

Clicking on the "Andrew Sparrow" link there will reveal it, though :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Iain Dale's predictions for the New Year
MY PREDICTIONS FOR 2015
31 Dec 2014 at 10:25

1. Three political party leaders will resign by the end of the year.
2. Norwich City will be promoted to the Premier League.
3. At least one politician associated with the Child Sex Abuse scandal will be arrested and charged.
4. Ian Katz will be the new editor of The Guardian.
5. Jason Seiken will leave the Telegraph.
6. Nick Robinson steps down as political editor of the BBC by the end of the year.
7. Interest rates remain where they are for the rest of the year.
8. Tim Farron becomes the new leader of the Liberal Democrats… what’s left of them.
9. ISIS launch attacks in Lebanon and/or Jordan.
10. John Kerry steps down as US Secretary of State.
http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2014/12/3 ... um=twitter
If no 4 is correct we'll be needing a new 666 pin up for FTN.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AngryAsWell wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Miliband releases New Year message – “The chance to change direction”

[youtube]140xLm1kTBM[/youtube]
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Ian Katz as editor of The Guardian?

Wouldn't have thought so - why move to Newsnight last year if he thought there'd be a chance of him getting the editorship?

I'd have thought Jonathan Freedland - currently Executive Editor - was more likely.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

[youtube]5DddMEVUySE[/youtube]
Jim and Kez: Outtakes
Gemma Doyle retweeted
James Millar ‏@PoliticalYeti 21m21 minutes ago
This is actually quite nice - @jimmurphymp & @kdugdalemsp mess up " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Yes it is.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Denis sums it up in one....

Denis Skinner
‏@BolsoverBeast If Mark Harper MP, Minister for Disabled People would like to introduce this, I'm sure he'd get support.

AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

refitman wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

[youtube]140xLm1kTBM[/youtube]
Thank you :)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:Ian Katz as editor of The Guardian?

Wouldn't have thought so - why move to Newsnight last year if he thought there'd be a chance of him getting the editorship?

I'd have thought Jonathan Freedland - currently Executive Editor - was more likely.
Which might improve things a bit - he isn't as dismissive of Labour/Ed as most senior people at the paper.

Though that makes one think he won't get it! :roll:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

I'd take those two predicted gains made by Dale in the Gloucester blog, readily.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Martin Rowson
‏@MartinRowson I'd like to wish you Happy New Year but can't as 2015's already been outsourced to Serco, Capita & Stagecoach so won't get here until March

:lol:
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

In local news, I've just had a load of bumf through the post from the PPC's agent, with details of the next 2 fundraisers - to wit, one at the Town Hall (a mere £50 a head) and another at a hotel in London, a snip at £85 per person, or you can try and persuade 9 other people who have considerably more money than sense to share a table for 10 at the bargain price of £800 (and that's not including your rail/air ticket and likely stay in a London hotel).

So it's official: they've collectively taken leave of their senses in his 'campaign team'. Ticket take up will be very interesting to say the least.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AngryAsWell wrote:Martin Rowson
‏@MartinRowson I'd like to wish you Happy New Year but can't as 2015's already been outsourced to Serco, Capita & Stagecoach so won't get here until March

:lol:
Brilliant. He's one of the best isn't he?