Friday 2nd January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Re: Friday 2nd January 2015

Post by ephemerid »

I have been reading about the ship marooned in the Med full of refugees. Headline article in the G.

I've had to stop because some of the comments BTL are, essentially, hate speech. Sickening.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

http://www.libdemvoice.org/cadan-ap-tho ... 44005.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:smack:

Any smidgeon of comfort for this lot, Jenny Willots could be a rising star in the next parliament, says Walesonline..

http://electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlist_ ... iffCentral" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Lib Dems have apparently called the Tory poster ''the road to hell'' :smack:
Well this fits as well ;)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That's made my day!

The news that train fares have gone up so much seem to have spawned a fresh batch of selfish trolls. They don't use the train, why should they pay anything towards its infrastructure? The level of wilful ignorance out there is at times rather disturbing. Hopefully it's the noisy and small minority.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

StephenDolan wrote:

That's made my day!

The news that train fares have gone up so much seem to have spawned a fresh batch of selfish trolls. They don't use the train, why should they pay anything towards its infrastructure? The level of wilful ignorance out there is at times rather disturbing. Hopefully it's the noisy and small minority.

The response btl to the story about the warnings to the English NHS was pretty sickening too, a Daily Mail bonanza, every cliché and half truth and lie rehashed.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

StephenDolan wrote:

That's made my day!

Doubt Cameron's claim of record investment in services will go down too well with commuters, or this:

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/01/n ... cloughlin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ho ho, the Ledge. Another historic building knocked down and replaced by flats.

http://www.times-series.co.uk/news/1169 ... ref=twtrec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 1h1 hour ago Poplar, London
Irony of Tory poster is that in 2010 they attacked Labour for pledging only to halve the deficit. Now they're boasting of achieving that.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

They might regret this one ... Shapps really has done it again. (He was pathetic on WATO).
The Road To.jpg
The Road To.jpg (54.13 KiB) Viewed 10199 times
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:http://www.libdemvoice.org/cadan-ap-tho ... 44005.html

Any smidgeon of comfort for this lot, Jenny Willots could be a rising star in the next parliament, says Walesonline..

http://electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlist_ ... iffCentral" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour doing well in Cardiff. I bet those Nats make a lot of that.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

I hear UKIP were going to use a 'road ahead' themed poster campaign, until Farrige realised the roads were full of bloody immigrants causing traffic jams everywhere
2362-92df3149837cd326f82cbb2ccb859173.jpg
2362-92df3149837cd326f82cbb2ccb859173.jpg (161.09 KiB) Viewed 10197 times
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Nats are focusing, and at least outwards appear confident of gaining Llanelli and Ynys Mon, bless.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Another Dale predict up RR, i'll leave you do the honours..
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Know anything about Mura Estates Tubb?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/mee ... rs-4909075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Another Dale predict up RR, i'll leave you do the honours..
Why thank you letsskip. I'll get right onto it. :D
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 23: LEICESTERSHIRE
http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2015/01/0 ... um=twitter
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Another Dale predict up RR, i'll leave you do the honours..
Why thank you letsskip. I'll get right onto it. :D
:D
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 23: LEICESTERSHIRE
http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2015/01/0 ... um=twitter
Nicky Morgan, hurrah!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Loughborough
Sitting MP: Nicky Morgan (Con)
Prediction: Narrow Labour gain

Very difficult to call, this one. Nicky Morgan may be saved by her high profile and the fact that she has established a good reputation locally. However, the LibDems have scored 18% of the vote here in the last three general elections. All it needs is for a substantial amount of the that vote to transfer to Labour and Nicky Morgan is toast. Interestingly UKIP only score 1.8% here, but the BNP got 3.9%. where that vote goes, will also be important. Nicky Morgan is a good friend and I’d love to be confident she can pull through here, but my prediction has to be guided by the electoral arithmetic and nothing else.
Didn't a lot of teachers supposedly vote Lib Dem ... before the Cleggtastrophe? I wonder if Cameron was trying to be nice to her and gave her Education thinking she might be able to save her own seat as well as some face for him post Gove's disastrous tenure.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

'Prince Andrew, Duke of York, named in underage 'sex slave' lawsuit over claims of forced sexual relations'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 54198.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

I've left a post there (I'm in moderation, of course), and I'll be interested to see if it gets published, and the reaction.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Caroline Lucas, on underwhelming form. Surely public transport should be an issue the Greens are all over?

She, er, isn't.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... line-lucas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Passengers in this country pay the highest fares in Europe

She says linking to an article specifically about commuters- very sloppy. We do indeed charge commuters and walk-on peak travellers a lot. But there's a range of fares, including lots of cheap ones.

http://www.seat61.com/uk-europe-train-f ... KbMyyusVJs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After two decades of privatisation, the private sector has not delivered the innovation and investment that were once promised.

There's been far more investment in the last two decades than previously. Whether that's much to do with privatisation is dubious, but the investment is a fact and she's either ignorant or trying to mislead.
Moreover, private rail companies still remain dependent on public subsidies to run their services. But these same companies can then turn over up to an estimated 90% of their operating profits to shareholders. This blatant transfer of public money means that the public purse is effectively propping up a failing rail system for private gain.

Operating profits come after the franchisee has paid for the franchise- which she seems to have forgotten to mention.
Closer to home, the recent experience of the East Coast Mainline tells its own story. In the five years it was run by the public sector, it returned almost £1bn to the taxpayer, as well as increasing passenger numbers, introducing a new timetable, improving punctuality and establishing industry-leading approaches to recycling and reducing carbon emissions. No wonder a government ideologically obsessed with privatising public services was so embarrassed by this success that it bundled it back into the private sector as soon as it could.

Oh, look she's forgotten to mention it again! £2.5bn is the figure the private bidder is paying.

The state decides what new services are run, not the train company (public or private). Loads and loads have been introduced in the last 20 years- does she not know that?
The modern, efficient, clean and affordable services enjoyed in other parts of Europe offer a much better blueprint for the future.

Where? What are the public subsidies paid there? This is what makes the most difference, not ownership of train companies.
The Rebuilding Rail report, published by Transport for Quality of Life, conservatively estimates that about £1.2bn is lost each year as a result of fragmentation and privatisation.

This sounds promising, and if you can prove this point, it's the clincher. But never heard of this lot.
I’d like to think that Labour would support it. Yet its policy of inviting public operators to compete against private companies is half-hearted and deeply flawed, and will do nothing to address the fragmentation at the heart of the privatisation chaos.

Come on, Ed Miliband, have the courage of your convictions
This idea people like Miliband and me aren't as brave as Lucas and all gets my goat quite a lot. Given that there are some operators who are good and some that are bad, I think it's a good policy.

The system isn't chaotic any more. It's settled down into something that, in its own way, works.

No space, alas, to mention nationalized National Rail making a complete pig's ear just this week....

Deeply unimpressive.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Reckon there's 8 or 9 Tory seats here that are very vulnerable to Labour, of course the icing on the cake would be to take a handful of Lib Dem ones too, say what you want like about London it is predominantly a Labour city, as are most these days to be fair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pa ... _in_London" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

I agree with Tubby on the Lucas piece. Electioneering rubbish of the highest order.

Nobody is going to spend billions on this, Milibands approach of gradual re franchising and allowing state run bids will achieve everything she wants.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tonibel
Backbencher

Post by Tonibel »

Thank you all for your very warm welcome yesterday, and yes I remember the original Tonibels.
I don't expect to post very often as I am usually hours behind everyone else and do not like posting unless I have read everything that has gone before but there is an interesting article in the i today by Mary Dejevsky that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere (wanted to post the link but a combination of the Indys website and our broadband has me beaten).
It is discussing whether TBlairs recent, corrected, intervention about Eds chances was accidental, deliberate or misinterpreted. The heading is "Blair belongs in the past:with the best will in the world he can't help Ed now." Am I the only one who thinks he might not want to?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

A truly awful piece from our cuckoo friend :roll:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... owers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ed-Milibands-New-Politics-is-dead.-Dont-bother-sending-flowers
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:A truly awful piece from our cuckoo friend :roll:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... owers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I seen the heading but for the sake of my well being decided against reading, parasitic waste of time and effort, who no doubt has over inflated his role in Labour. :fire:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tonibel wrote:Thank you all for your very warm welcome yesterday, and yes I remember the original Tonibels.
I don't expect to post very often as I am usually hours behind everyone else and do not like posting unless I have read everything that has gone before but there is an interesting article in the i today by Mary Dejevsky that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere (wanted to post the link but a combination of the Indys website and our broadband has me beaten).
It is discussing whether TBlairs recent, corrected, intervention about Eds chances was accidental, deliberate or misinterpreted. The heading is "Blair belongs in the past:with the best will in the world he can't help Ed now." Am I the only one who thinks he might not want to?
Hi Tonibel

I ended up thinking this intervention kind of suited everyone. Blair happily distances himself from Miliband, so stays sweet with his neoliberal mates. Everyone likely to vote for Miliband is reassured that he's no Blairite, so Ed's happy too. And the rest of the political spectrum enjoy what they think is a big anti-Labour story that isn't ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

letsskiptotheleft wrote:

I seen the heading but for the sake of my well being decided against reading, parasitic waste of time and effort, who no doubt has over inflated his role in Labour. :fire:
Very wise letsskip and Happy NY btw ;-)

I think dear Dan is pissed off because he's finally realised that Ed isn't following the famous 35% strategy after all :lol:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:I agree with Tubby on the Lucas piece. Electioneering rubbish of the highest order.

Nobody is going to spend billions on this, Milibands approach of gradual re franchising and allowing state run bids will achieve everything she wants.
I've asked Tim Fenton if he would write something. He said he may do. It's pretty much the howlers made by Owen Jones.

I can't believe she hasn't travelled on trains at weekends and noticed engineering work. Does she not think that's investment? Brighton's served by "Thameslink". Does she not know about their investment?

The public subsidy is the key. She barely mentions it.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:

Very wise letsskip and Happy NY btw ;-)

I think dear Dan is pissed off because he's finally realised that Ed isn't following the famous 35% strategy after all :lol:
Happy New Year to you too Paul, and everyone else of course!

Off to work, nights.. :cry:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I think dear Dan is pissed off because he's finally realised that Ed isn't following the famous 35% strategy after all :lol:
Which was only ever a figment of his imagination anyway. That article was unusually shrill, even by his low standards; maybe the Telegraph have been making noises about his usefulness coming to an end? :D
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Nats are focusing, and at least outwards appear confident of gaining Llanelli and Ynys Mon, bless.
Good chance in Ynys Mon?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Labour doing well in Cardiff. I bet those Nats make a lot of that.
Good chance in Ynys Mon?
Funnily enough I was on Ynys Mon today at Llanddwyn Beach. Utterly glorious.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

As far as I can see DFH is arguing that because Balls is arguing Labour now owns the centre ground on the economy then they are no longer campaigning from the left.

However Miliband has always said he is fighting from the middle ground, but that the ground itself has shifted left.

Cameron has clearly shifted far right thanks to the Autumn statement, and while Clegg is probably near the middle ground he is a decaying corpse people are standing on.
Release the Guardvarks.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Things that may be even more worth avoiding than the Hodges crock of proverbial

Comment is free ‏@commentisfree 4m4 minutes ago
A Tory-Labour unity coalition may be the only way forward after 7 May, says @IanBirrell http://gu.com/p/44het/tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even without reading it I nominate it for a 2015 Groan Award :twisted:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

From wiki, re Thameslink. More of that investment that hasn't been happening in rail.
All aspects of Key Output stage 1 were completed by mid-2012, in time for the London Olympics. A major objective of this phase was to enable 12-carriage trains to run on the Bedford-Brighton route. Work affecting this was completed in time for the December 2011 timetable change,[29] when 10,000 extra peak-period seats were provided
I thought they were supposed to be all over local issues, the Greens?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Welcome to Tonibel too!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Reckon there's 8 or 9 Tory seats here that are very vulnerable to Labour, of course the icing on the cake would be to take a handful of Lib Dem ones too, say what you want like about London it is predominantly a Labour city, as are most these days to be fair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pa ... _in_London" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is.

As a bonus, it looks like my MP won't be challenged by Lutfure Rahman this year either. She was probably scared about that.

Mind you, I'm not her biggest fan.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Not sure if this has been posted earlier but worth another link ;)

"Spirit of ’45 can win big in 2015"

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-bd ... Kb6f0ByaUm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...and this from Ed's NY message

“This coming year, we mark the seventieth anniversary of the end of the second world war, when our parents and grandparents overcame the most daunting odds to rebuild. After the war, badly battered and deeply in debt, Britain rose again. We built the NHS, a modern welfare state, homes for people to live in and still dealt with our debts; we set the stage for a generation of progress for working people. Today’s challenges are different. But if we could walk through those fires, we surely can meet the problems of our time. We can build a country that works for everyday people. Change is possible if we reach for it. If you are one of the millions of people who think Britain can do a lot better, I am with you. I am with you and this year, together, we can bring about the change we need.”
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Tonibel wrote:Thank you all for your very warm welcome yesterday, and yes I remember the original Tonibels.
No probs, and you're always welcome here - many people posting post stuff that's just interesting, rather than up to the minute, since we're not a news site per se, but more of a pull-it-all-together site that seeks to make sense through giving enough relevant info (even if not hot off the presses) to enable readers to create their own narrative, rather than have to rely on the one presented by the Graun, the Wail or anyone else.

At least I think that's what we're about - we've sort of chewed it over on and off but never actually got round to defining what we're about, which at least has the major advantage of giving us flexibility, with the addition bonus that we can't be accused of mission creep.

Regarding your suspicions about Blair: I think that he, the scum that largely inhabit Progress and the other Blairites would like nothing better than for Miliband to fail in May, as it would give them their vindication that left wing policies (not matter how pale red) are anathema to centrist voters. That's how they see it.

It is, of course, utter bollocks. Many people want public utilities back in public hands - and that includes a lot who would not vote Labour. There's no absolute left/right thing going on to my mind, but there are certain principles that people care about when they're seen through the prism of their own lives. If you asked people "Do you approve of socialised medicine?" you'd probably get a different percentage saying yes than if you asked "Do you approve of the NHS?".

Blair wanted many things. He wanted Labour - New Labour - to be the beguiling "left wing" alternative to the Tories, but had to shift heavily towards a neoliberal stance to deliver what were very limited gains for ordinary people. It is noticeable that the anti-union laws of the 80s weren't repealed despite three election wins. That confirmed my doubts. Blair was not innately evil or even innately a warmonger to my mind, he simply saw each little step in his conversion to a right wing stance as inevitable and out of his hands and so he drifted from being (at best) a centrist to being a right winger, where he remains.

Blair enabled and argued for a war in the Gulf; Miliband did pretty much the opposite. I respect one of them rather more than the other, but I try to be sanguine about both. Ed Miliband is not a shining knight and Labour will only tentatively return to its roots, even if it does, and Blair - perhaps I should have said "Bliar" - was not the monster he is now presented as in some circles, but a politician wtih some gifts who benefitted from a dreadful opposition but was utterly timid when it required another Nye Bevan.

Hey ho. Thanks Tonibel for posting that and allowing me to run off at the mouth! And get back here soon, OK!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I'm not a big fan of this Spirit of 45 as an easy win that only a load of Labour donkeys can't see.

Even leaving out the special circumstances of the war, the electorate is much older. You can see that effect just about everywhere, dragging politics to the right. Pension costs are going up, and the willingness of the middle class to pay more taxes doesn't seem to be there.

Also, even the post "45" state education and health services were very basic, compared to what would be tolerated now.

Is there anywhere else proposing to up public spending considerably? I don't know about it.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

David Davies MP ‏@davidtcdavies 21m21 minutes ago
Damning figures on Wales NHS performance =

Incredibly, he doesn't hang about to tell us which ones in his link are so damning.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Shouldn't these bloody David Davieses be made to indentify themselves properly e.g. 'the apparently sane one' or 'the obviously evil one' etc, etc?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Release the Guardvarks.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

This is astonishing stuff, if only for the abject stupidity of the kippers BTL:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... mentpage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have rarely seen more naivety and mindless rah-rahing of the clearly corrupt than this. Some of those arseholes - and let us be clear, you'd have to be an arsehole to post such sentiments - apparently believe that by taking money off hedge funds they are not in any way compromising Farago's "People's Army" and it will have no effect whatsoever on UKIP's manifesto.

There are people in the UK who are simply too thick to vote, and I know which way most of them will be voting come May.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Got to love the Guardian Nick Clegg article. The comments BTL are fabulous, the Guardian are rapidly moving it to the bin of obscurity.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Another of those "proper leftist" politicians has been talking bollocks about rail too.
Boris Watch ‏@BorisWatch 20m20 minutes ago
Has anyone bothered to correct George Galloway on the ‘more dangerously’ assertion in his tweet earlier about railways? Berk.
The safety record is excellent.

Gee, wouldn't it be great with Galloway and Lucas in charge?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Cybernats don't like being reminded of their party's tax and spending policies, do they?

Blah blah, London.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Fuck me, the idiots over at LDV aren't even willing to engage in a discussion about the Fibs' chances in May! I've been published (oh thank you, thank you, oh mighty moderators) and they've not even replied to the point made!

They're just keeping on chatting calmly about how when everyone knows what nice guys they are, then the entire voting population will have that Damascene conversion and they'll be back in government. It's astonishing the extent to which these people are deluding themselves.

I've left another comment - published immediately, I'm pleased to report - which I hope might generate a little more awareness, although I'm not holding out much hope.