Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Re: Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th January 2015

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Apparently this years election (yikes) is a serious choice for the country. You don't say.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ce-britain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who do you imagine writes this crap letsskip? What are their 'instructions' ....? It's just stating the obvious drivel all the way through ... as though someone has been given the title and a word count and told to do something on it ... but without saying anything that could be seen as an actual opinion or view.

Whoever wrote that has a few splinters in their arse. Talk about fence sitting.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Simon Hart had a six month severance package when he stood down from the Countryside Alliance.

He won't be in favour of capping redundancy payments then?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

:D

Daily Express ''Nigel Farage: Ban doctors and nurse who can't speak English'' if only we could ban the Express.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:Apparently this years election (yikes) is a serious choice for the country. You don't say.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ce-britain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who do you imagine writes this crap letsskip? What are their 'instructions' ....? It's just stating the obvious drivel all the way through ... as though someone has been given the title and a word count and told to do something on it ... but without saying anything that could be seen as an actual opinion or view.
I thought it was possible for someone to pull the plug on current government though it'd take most of government agreeing to go through with it? Excuse me if I've misunderstood the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act.
2011 Fixed-Term Parliaments Act, which sets the election date in stone, may have seemed like a good idea at the time. It was supposed to restrict old-style opportunism by prime ministers in hung parliaments, giving the Lib Dems a guarantee that the Tories would not walk out on them midway through the parliament.

Unfortunately for healthy politics, the election date is now set by law. That date is more than four months away. This ensures that, although parliament has little to do, the 2015 campaign will fill the space that the government has vacated. Prepare for a season of partisan squabbling and parliamentary behaviour of the sort that gives modern politics a bad name and which the coalition was supposed to have consigned to the waste bin. It is a gift to the insurgent parties.

Parliament returns to work, if that is the right expression for it, on Monday. But the reality is that there will not be much useful work done or wisdom displayed in the House of Commons now until a new one assembles after the election on 7 May.
Terrifying. What a waste of time if that's true.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

letsskiptotheleft wrote::D

Daily Express ''Nigel Farage: Ban doctors and nurse who can't speak English'' if only we could ban the Express.
Which dialect English?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Toby Latimer wrote:In the event of Rachel Reeves going on maternity leave just a few weeks after the election (supposing Lab win) , who gets to deal with the mess left behind by Duncan Smith ? It is kinda important :? Would Kate Green deputise ?
Maybe some "older statesman" type? Johnson?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... e-building" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I love Paul Mason.

That is all.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Toby Latimer wrote:In the event of Rachel Reeves going on maternity leave just a few weeks after the election (supposing Lab win) , who gets to deal with the mess left behind by Duncan Smith ? It is kinda important :? Would Kate Green deputise ?
ScreenShot00215.jpg
She has had 9 months to plan, no doubt all details will be in hand and "ready hit the ground running". After the first baby she was back in the constituency office almost right away - baby in tow.
She also has a husband who can play his part in child care as well.
Would we ask these question of a man expecting the birth of his second child? :)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

citizenJA wrote:

Which dialect English?
South East England Golf Club
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

I wouldn't mind him having a crack at it tbh, but I don't think he would want to come back to deal with such a tangled wreck of a department.
Maybe Bryant could return, or perhaps a wild card like John McDonnell or Iain Lavery, (or Hodges mum) :clap:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Which dialect English?
Or racist seaside pensioner.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Toby Latimer wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

I wouldn't mind him having a crack at it tbh, but I don't think he would want to come back to deal with such a tangled wreck of a department.
Maybe Bryant could return, or perhaps a wild card like John McDonnell or Iain Lavery, (or Hodges mum) :clap:
Hodges Mam is standing down, her son will be in need of his mother in the event of a Miliband win.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

AngryAsWell wrote:
ScreenShot00215.jpg
She has had 9 months to plan, no doubt all details will be in hand and "ready hit the ground running". After the first baby she was back in the constituency office almost right away - baby in tow.
Would we ask these question of a man expecting the birth of his second child? :)

Lol absolutely not ;) Poor dear might want to sit with her feet up with a nice cup of tea though. All that paperwork and decision making can't be any good for a chick in her condition. Now run along and put the kettle on.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
Toby Latimer wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Maybe some "older statesman" type? Johnson?

Hodges Mam is standing down, her son will be in need of his mother in the event of a Miliband win.
Dan will be fine, he'll just settle back into living off Mummy's trust funds.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Cameron is a complete dick, why does the press not crucify him for crap like this.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 56363.html
He says he particularly values Samantha's practical and organisational skills. “If she’d organised Napoleon’s march on Moscow, they would have reached Vladivostok in good time,” he said.
Can you imagine the reaction if Miliband said this.

Let's tweet DFH a link and ask him what his reaction would be if Miliband had said anything this stupid.

Nothing she has said or done convinces me that Sam Cam is anything other than a pampered aristocrat of little note.
Release the Guardvarks.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Let's tweet DFH a link .......
First step is to find somebody he hasn't blocked yet ...... :D
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

I followed this bloke during the independence debate, chiefly because he wound the nats up a treat, yet to be convinced that twitter be such a useful tool in the election campaign as he suggests?

http://www.scotsman.com/news/euan-mccol ... -1-3650261" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Some Tw%t has started a parody account for Eoin Clarke and sending round a crap photo of Ed calling him a "Lady"
This is the parody https://twitter.com/Dr_EoinClarke" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you get a follow request. Have messaged Eoin to tell him
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Cameron is a complete dick, why does the press not crucify him for crap like this.

He says he particularly values Samantha's practical and organisational skills. “If she’d organised Napoleon’s march on Moscow, they would have reached Vladivostok in good time,” he said.

Let's tweet DFH a link and ask him what his reaction would be if Miliband had said anything this stupid.

Nothing she has said or done convinces me that Sam Cam is anything other than a pampered aristocrat of little note.
As with Johnson, it's being a "character". Only the right are allowed that.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:Let's tweet DFH a link .......
First step is to find somebody he hasn't blocked yet ...... :D
I'll do it. Only one who has blocked me is a Plaid AM.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Toby Latimer wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
ScreenShot00215.jpg

Lol absolutely not ;) Poor dear might want to sit with her feet up with a nice cup of tea though. All that paperwork and decision making can't be any good for a chick in her condition. Now run along and put the kettle on.
Tell that to my grandmother who had twins in the morning and was back in the bakery kneading bread for the morning. She had to, or lose the business.

Not really funny to be honest.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Oldish pic (2011) now, always brings a smile to my face - I suspect someone at the Echo had a sense of humour with the picture layout
ScreenShot0011022.jpg
ScreenShot0011022.jpg (113.57 KiB) Viewed 12548 times
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Just seen this nice bit from Plaid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-29539935" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Plaid Cymru finance spokesman Alun Ffred Jones said: "The local government settlement is a brutal blow for our front line services, and it will be felt in every home and every community.

"These cuts are driven by the UK government's cruel austerity agenda, and are being delivered by the Labour government in Cardiff Bay."
Cardiff! Boo! Wouldn't be any if it were in Caernarfon!

What do you expect the Welsh Gov to do? Not set a budget?
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Cameron is a complete dick, why does the press not crucify him for crap like this.

In a similar vein I see no-one's posted a link to the emetic article in today's Mail on Sunday, in which Cameron claims Obama calls him "bro"
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I see someone calling himself John O'Neil has joined CiF today. Seems to be on "tell them LAB are just the same as the Tories" detail.

Superficially sounds knowledgeable, but refers to a load of watered down bus white papers from 1997-2010.

Anyone recall those?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Attachments
tweet.jpg
tweet.jpg (17.81 KiB) Viewed 12533 times
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

This is the SNP candidate for Stirling. I realise some are better than others but I reckon Stirling is safe for Labour.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:
ScreenShot00215.jpg
She won't be able to campaign. In theory, that might be a problem- she's a "big gun".

But I think I'll get over it.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Bryant is an excellent call for interim media work.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... e-building

I love Paul Mason.

That is all.
So do I!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Weren't Scottish Labour supposed to be a "branch office" taking orders from "Westminster"?

Nationalist rag somehow fails to praise Kezia Dugdale for having a different emphasis to national party. Undermining campaign, apparently.

Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Bryant is an excellent call for interim media work.
Bit wanky to quote myself, but he might be quite good for the longer term as well.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
ScreenShot00215.jpg
She won't be able to campaign. In theory, that might be a problem- she's a "big gun".

But I think I'll get over it.
Mary King won gold at the European Championships whilst five and a half months pregnant.
My best friend won our local Hunter Trials whilst six an a half months pregnant.
Another friend worked on the market selling green grocery till the day before the birth of her son, and was back on the stall in just over a week, baby with her.

Why do men seem to think pregnancy is an illness ?
Apart from the delicate Kate who seem to suffer with hers, most women I know just get on with it.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Toby Latimer wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:@Temulkar Slashing a benefit bill isn't the same thing as being hard on people requiring benefits. Why are we paying private landlords so much in housing benefits, for example? It doesn't have to be this way.

I couldn't find that quote from the G article linked above in Reeves' speeches below. Please let me know if I've missed it.

http://www.rachelreevesmp.co.uk/speeches
I wonder if she briefed that silly statement off the record. She doesn't seem to have said anything like it since though, which is reassuring.

Although Neil mentioned it twice here between 2.15 - 3.15 mins, she didn't repeat or clarify - but didn't really deny it either

[youtube]ThHwz1XSGvU[/youtube]
I remember reading quite a bit about that supposed statement and wondering if what she'd actually said was slightly more nuanced than was reported. Also, my main impression was she was trying to appeal to the 'majority' who were in favour of cutting benefits blah blah blah. Overall I felt that what was being reported wasn't quite true but I was disappointed because I'd feel much happier if the 'opposition' were actually coming out and telling the truth about what the Tories are doing, rather than being all 'Blair ish'. There is I realise an argument for trying to appeal to the most voters you can, but sometimes you've really got to nail your colours to the mast. Frankly after New Labour 'spin', and this bloody lot's out and out lies, I think people are looking for some straight talking. Granted, even if Labour [or whoever] were being absolutely straight talking, people would be exceedingly sceptical. But mealy mouthed statements aren't going to cut it.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:Why do men seem to think pregnancy is an illness ?
Is it not infectious then? I always thought it was, because lots of my friends fell pregnant at the same time; I just assumed they all caught it in a shower somewhere, because they were always talking about baby showers. Had to be that, because I see loads of people with babies in their shopping trolleys but I've never found the shelf with the babies on it.

*Gets coat. Runs off really fast.*
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

I was under the illusion that I keep abreast of current political matters. Clearly not as I missed Samantha Cameron being elected.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Michael Dugher seems to be acting like a bellend. I like that gets stuck in, but has been sticking it in rather indiscriminately, and not knowing what he's talking about.

http://paulbigland.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... transport/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We really don't need this.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Michael Dugher seems to be acting like a bellend. I like that gets stuck in, but has been sticking it in rather indiscriminately, and not knowing what he's talking about.

http://paulbigland.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... transport/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I always have doubts when I look someone up on google and get
"Some results may have been removed under data protection law in Europe. Learn more"

So what has Paul Bigland got to hide? Who is he anyway?
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

I'm fairly sure nobody thinks it is anything resembling an illness, but she could If she so desired take up to 52 weeks leave , that's the law nowadays , it's entirely her choice though, that's why I added the proviso "in the event of"
My own gran had seven kids between 1922 - 1839, my grandad was often away in the army, then in 1939 just after mum was born he was away for six years, but they just had to get on with it. Thankfully in this day and age there is a choice.
Last edited by Toby Latimer on Sun 04 Jan, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Very genial response to some of Iain Dale's predictions from Election2015. This is all rather nice and polite so far!
We need to talk about Iain
http://election-2015.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -iain.html
The genial Conservative blogger Iain Dale is currently predicting the outcome of every constituency in the next general election. Given that we can forget about there being a uniform national swing this year, we commend Mr Dale for treating each seat on its merits. However, a few of his predictions have caused Dan to raise his eyebrow. We reproduce three of Mr Dale’s more eccentric predictions below with Dan’s comments...
Working on the wild side.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ed Miliband to launch a voter's question time in Salford as he draws election battle lines
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... on-8381295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm there :)
Any ideas for questions ? (if I get the chance)
..and no, I won't be asking about pregnancy leave .... :lol: :lol:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Michael Dugher seems to be acting like a bellend. I like that gets stuck in, but has been sticking it in rather indiscriminately, and not knowing what he's talking about.

I always have doubts when I look someone up on google and get
"Some results may have been removed under data protection law in Europe. Learn more"

So what has Paul Bigland got to hide? Who is he anyway?
No idea, but he's right that Creagh was good. Dugher's so far not.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Which dialect English?

Make that Terribly Well Adjusted Tory.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Which dialect English?

Make that Terribly Well Adjusted Tory.
I speak people lingo.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Rail fares up 20 per cent since David Cameron became Prime Minister
02 January 2015

“Labour will give passengers a voice in how the railways are run and stop passengers getting fleeced at ticket machines by making it a legal right for passengers to be sold the cheapest available ticket for their journey.”

- Michael Dugher Labour MP Barnsley East

http://www.michaeldugher.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At point of sale? Cheapest ticket available without a getting a degree in logistics in order to navigate the National Rail website a month ahead for an affordable journey in order to avoid pawning the last of the family Sponge Bob collectibles? Get me that cheapest ticket, Labour!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:Rail fares up 20 per cent since David Cameron became Prime Minister
02 January 2015

“Labour will give passengers a voice in how the railways are run and stop passengers getting fleeced at ticket machines by making it a legal right for passengers to be sold the cheapest available ticket for their journey.”

At point of sale? Cheapest ticket available without a getting a degree in logistics in order to navigate the National Rail website a month ahead for an affordable journey in order to avoid pawning the last of the family Sponge Bob collectibles? Get me that cheapest ticket, Labour!
If that happens with the machines, then good.

It has though got a bit of Cameron's "legal requirement to put on cheapest energy tariff about it". Particularly from Dugher.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Rail fares up 20 per cent since David Cameron became Prime Minister
02 January 2015

If that happens with the machines, then good.

It has though got a bit of Cameron's "legal requirement to put on cheapest energy tariff about it". Particularly from Dugher.
Dugher protesting outside King's Cross with rail union leaders is my idea of proper representation.
Protesters are joined by rail union leaders and the shadow transport secretary, Michael Dugher, outside King's Cross station, as a 2% rise in rail fares comes into effect on Friday. Michael Dugher says passengers have had enough of fare rises, adding that prices have increased 20% over the last 5 years. Mick Cash, the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) general secretary, calls for a properly run railway that is cost efficient
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Yes, that is encouraging.

But someone's still got to have a word. You do need people who get stuck in, but having your arse handed to you by people who know what they're talking about isn't good enough.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Labour published the research as it launched a campaign to protect local bus services, which are particularly valued by older people and teenagers.

“The bus market is clearly broken and the way local services are provided is not fit for purpose,” Dugher said. “Labour would change that and hand cities and county regions greater control over local bus services. We will ensure people get the local transport system they need.”

The figures emerged just days after Labour research found meals on wheel services for older and vulnerable people have declined by 63% under the coalition. The research into services offered by English councils revealed there are an estimated 220,000 fewer meals being served to older people today than when the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats came to power, with prices rising over that time by an average of £237 a year for those who receive the services every day.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... e-isolated
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Yes, that is encouraging.

But someone's still got to have a word. You do need people who get stuck in, but having your arse handed to you by people who know what they're talking about isn't good enough.
I don't understand your last two sentences.