Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th February 2024

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th February 2024

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 3rd & Sunday 4th February 2024

Post by gilsey »

Good morning.

One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I would encourage everyone to read the full article, it's an absolute joy.

'Smoked-filled ego w***fest': Inside Laurence Fox’s Reclaim Party split... caused by a Volvo, Christmas card and MacBook

https://www.lbc.co.uk/opinion/views/ins ... rty-split/
But what has gone so badly wrong at Reclaim? In the words of one former insider it’s simple: “Laurence Fox”.

“The man’s a nutter, he’s a walking dangerous ego”.

This account, from a former insider, describes how Laurence Fox’s work ethic was “woeful”.

He alleges that Laurence Fox used to “stroll in late every day at 11am” and then proceeded to “go for a long lunch at 12:30, followed by a nap at 2pm because he was so worn out. The work ethic was a joke”.

Seemingly when Mr Fox was present at Reclaim HQ it actually caused more problems than it solved. “When Laurence was there it turned into a smoked-filled ego w***fest”, where there were apparently frequent clashes with the now-former Deputy leader Martin Daubney.
There's plenty more including some comical revelations about Fox and Andrew Bridgen and Fox helping himself to other people's stuff. Needless to say given those involved it all rings hilariously true.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I mean its not an actual political party is it, rather a vanity project (and rarely has that term been more appropriate) for Fox.

Bankrolled by one shady individual to boot.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Have I mentioned "fuck Labour" recently?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Remember when Labour used to boast that their leader was a former human rights lawyer? Me neither.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I dunno, there might be reasons why politicians are currently a bit jumpy about people invading their gatherings unannounced.

But who cares about that eh?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sat 03 Feb, 2024 5:06 pm I dunno, there might be reasons why politicians are currently a bit jumpy about people invading their gatherings unannounced.

But who cares about that eh?
Here's a wild idea - don't support an attempted genocide of a country, don't suspend members of your party that speak out in support of the people being slaughtered. Then maybe people won't get angry and shout at you.

Oh, and when a distraught man who has just lost his family confronts you, don't make the story about how you felt scared. It's really not a good look.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The fact remains, they had no idea who he was and so could not presume he did not mean harm.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Ah the joys of being a Scottish rugby supporter.

"Ha ha yes, we're thrashing Wales, what's our record score against them, I'll just look it up because I reckon...wait what, oh no, oh god no, how is this happening, this is going to be humiliating, ah phew, thank fuck for that."
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

England almost getting ambushed by Italy (who they have never lost to) as well.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Sat 03 Feb, 2024 4:11 pm Have I mentioned "fuck Labour" recently?
That's really hard to watch. We all understand why politicians are rightfully nervous about such confrontations but that guy didn't seem threatening and it would appear nobody made the slightest effort to simply talk to him. I'm assuming they have security protocols that they're told to follow under such circumstances but that looked appalling.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I think your closing assumption there is correct, and likely applies across the political spectrum. They just aren't in a mood to take chances right now.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Oh, and about the "she didn't know who he was"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Today, in things Labour MPs aren't allowed to denounce
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

So she would have remembered him from a random encounter five years earlier? OK then.

Oh and Labour have done plenty of criticising Israeli actions. Just because they don't use the simplistic phrase "ceasefire now" doesn't alter that.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

pRoTeCt WoMeN's SpOrTs

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 04 Feb, 2024 1:25 pm So she would have remembered him from a random encounter five years earlier? OK then.

Oh and Labour have done plenty of criticising Israeli actions. Just because they don't use the simplistic phrase "ceasefire now" doesn't alter that.
They have suspended MPs for calling what Israel is doing wrong. They have suspended MPs for saying this is an attempted genocide and should be added to the list of those commemorated.

The only reason Starmer et al are starting to change their messaging now, is that they've suddenly realised there's actually quite a lot of Muslims in the UK, and all but endorsing the erasure of an entire country of people of that religion, might not go down to well and they might lose some votes.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

They have suspended MPs for using (whether deliberately or not) inflammatory language.

I mean, can even passionately pro-Palestinian people not see that DIRECTLY COMPARING Israel's current actions to the Holocaust is deeply, profoundly offensive to 99.9% of Jews - regardless of their views on the war and Netanyahu? To be quite frank, its about showing off quite a lot of the time.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

More policies consigned to the dustbin of history. Do they have anything left?

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 04 Feb, 2024 3:01 pm They have suspended MPs for using (whether deliberately or not) inflammatory language.

I mean, can even passionately pro-Palestinian people not see that DIRECTLY COMPARING Israel's current actions to the Holocaust is deeply, profoundly offensive to 99.9% of Jews - regardless of their views on the war and Netanyahu? To be quite frank, its about showing off quite a lot of the time.
You do realise there are other genocides memorialised, than just the Jewish one of the Second World War? And they are all included in "never again".
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Did you believe every press rumour during the Corbyn years as well? Just saying.

I can imagine it will be a manifesto that front benchers feel comfortable defending and the Tories have trouble convincingly attacking.

That's not the same as saying it won't contain anything substantive. Think of the difference between 2017 (good) and 2019 (not as much)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 04 Feb, 2024 3:01 pm They have suspended MPs for using (whether deliberately or not) inflammatory language.

Some news for you -- 99.9% of Jews are NOT Zionists !

Also, more news for you, but maybe you DO want to abolish freedom of speech went it applies to Israel?

Very selective !
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Sun 04 Feb, 2024 3:21 pm You do realise there are other genocides memorialised, than just the Jewish one of the Second World War? And they are all included in "never again".
The Israelis continue to deny the Armenian genocide. Which I'm pretty sure is profoundly offensive to 99.9% of Armenians.

Their rank hypocrisy can be seen from space.

And yet we're not supposed to hurt their feelings as they brutally slaughter 30000 men, women, and children.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Purely as a matter of record, the only country other than Turkey that explicitly *denies* the Armenian Genocide is Pakistan.

Israel has not recognised it as such, but several groups in the country have urged the government to do so.

Strangely enough, that is also the UK government's position (the US deemed it a genocide some time ago, though)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 04 Feb, 2024 7:49 pm Strangely enough, that is also the UK government's position (the US deemed it a genocide some time ago, though)
You're absolutely right, I made the assumption that we'd fallen in line with the Americans but clearly not.
A 1999 Foreign Office briefing for ministers said that the recognition of the Armenian genocide would provide no practical benefit to the UK and goes on to say that "The current line is the only feasible option" owing to "the importance of our relations (political, strategic and commercial) with Turkey". The Foreign Office documents furthermore include advice from 1995 to the then Conservative foreign minister, Douglas Hogg, that he should refuse to attend a memorial service for the victims of the genocide. As of 2015, the United Kingdom does not formally recognise the Ottoman Empire's massacres of Armenians as a "genocide".
Absolutely shameful.

It should be noted however that the Scottish parliament and Welsh assembly have both formerly recognised it as genocide.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Anyway.....who are this Man United who are scoring goals for fun - do you recognise them Sky??
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I'd like to say I enjoyed this bit of absurdist whimsy by Dan Hodges but it's behind a paywall which I've not bothered trying to break yet. Presumably his argument goes that if Galloway significantly splits the left in Rochdale the Tories should take advantage of that split by calling a GE and limiting their damage, that's certainly what he seems to be intimating in his responses. Surely though for that to work George Galloway would need to stand in every seat in the country at the next GE, which despite his prodigious political prowess and ego, seems somewhat unfeasible even for him.

It's probably true that a disaffected and angry left could cost Starmer a handful of seats but for the Tories to call an early GE on such a desperate basis would be utterly bonkers. Still, if Dan is saying it I'm sure it's true.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Not just unfeasible, but illegal - standing in multiple constituencies simultaneously was outlawed a while ago.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 04 Feb, 2024 10:03 pm Anyway.....who are this Man United who are scoring goals for fun - do you recognise them Sky??
Finally getting most of the first team back fit has obviously made a difference, Martinez especially so let's hope his knee isn't another long term injury. I'm really happy for Hojlund, he's been busting a gut all season in a team that even at their best provide him with bugger all to work with (I think I've seen Rashford cross the ball for him twice), and Kobbie Mainoo is an absolute revelation.

West Ham were distinctly lacklustre today though so let's not get carried away.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 04 Feb, 2024 10:25 pm Not just unfeasible, but illegal - standing in multiple constituencies simultaneously was outlawed a while ago.
I would imagine it would also stretch the laws of physics beyond breaking point, George would have to zoom round every constituency in the country on election night faster than Santa at Christmas.

Though to be fair we have seen him in a tight leotard so it's possible he does have superpowers.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Sun 04 Feb, 2024 10:45 pm
AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 04 Feb, 2024 10:03 pm Anyway.....who are this Man United who are scoring goals for fun - do you recognise them Sky??
Finally getting most of the first team back fit has obviously made a difference, Martinez especially so let's hope his knee isn't another long term injury. I'm really happy for Hojlund, he's been busting a gut all season in a team that even at their best provide him with bugger all to work with (I think I've seen Rashford cross the ball for him twice), and Kobbie Mainoo is an absolute revelation.

West Ham were distinctly lacklustre today though so let's not get carried away.
Yeah, get a result in the next game (away at Villa) and I might start to properly believe.

And let's not forget United made that same West Ham look like 1970 version Brazil less than two months ago.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 04 Feb, 2024 11:09 pm And let's not forget United made that same West Ham look like 1970 version Brazil less than two months ago.
We made Wolves look like 1970's Brazil 3 days ago.

Still with Ratcliffe and Ineos now in charge surely the least we can expect is a freakish improvement in our player's fitness which has nothing to do with doping or Dave Brailsford replacing all their blood with diluted uranium.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

An ex of mine's grandad met an American woman after his wife had died and they decided to make a life together. She smuggled him into the US over the Canadian border in the boot of her car. They settled in Vegas, invited us over, and he was the one of the funniest, daftest people I've ever had the pleasure to spend time with. He loved the card he'd been provided by the US government with 'illegal alien' written on it with a photo of him where what remained of his hair was standing up looking like antennae presumably due to some static effect. He was adamant he didn't do it on purpose.

He sadly died a few years ago and was worth a thousand Musks.