Monday 5th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
mikems
Minister of State

Re: Monday 5th January 2015

Post by mikems »

Corinne Stockheath is a very close, nay intimate, friend of Sebastian Fox. She also knows Michael Green very well.

You can't slander the dead, but can you slander someone via a pseudonym they deny using? I hope not, because that Corinne Stockheath is a practiced liar and crook.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tories call on Cameron to gerrymander the electoral register
http://peterblack.blogspot.co.uk/2015/0 ... ander.html
As Peter Black makes clear, those who have a right to vote in the UK General Election in May 2015 hasn't changed.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

mikems wrote:Corinne Stockheath is a very close, nay intimate, friend of Sebastian Fox. She also knows Michael Green very well.

You can't slander the dead, but can you slander someone via a pseudonym they deny using? I hope not, because that Corinne Stockheath is a practiced liar and crook.
How very dare you. Corinne has a Twitter account and everything.

https://twitter.com/corinnestockhea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Wasn't well known nautical goat muncher OpenSores supposed to be gracing us with its presence today? Colour me devastated. :D
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Toby Latimer wrote:Here's the bus driver's son Javid having a car crash interview on TWAO http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02gbfmq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Woooohooooo! Unfunded Tory Tax cuts, calling Labour party members' chat, 'manifesto promises' & SpAds' policy assumptions!

Javid sounded angry.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Back from seeing Ed - what a great speaker! Photo's are rubbish though :(
News says 250 there, room takes 250 siting but with all those standing at the back it seemed like many more than 250!
Four people told "their" account of life, student coming out of uni with 40k debt and no job, young business man telling how difficult it was to get banks to lead to start ups outside of London, a Doctor wanting to save NHS, a mother worried about her children's future.
Then Ed spoke about hope and optimism how things CAN be done different.
Then Q&A's - and yes we did laugh at Norman Smith but only when he said there was no crisis in NHS, blatantly ignoring A&E and ambulance's and cancelled ops!
Off for some food
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Wasn't well known nautical goat muncher OpenSores supposed to be gracing us with its presence today? Colour me devastated. :D
Looks like the switch to "full Beta" over there has been delayed (again?)

Over the weekend, the "old style" user profiles became unavailable - but they reappeared last night. Intriguingly.......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:Back from seeing Ed - what a great speaker! Photo's are rubbish though :(
News says 250 there, room takes 250 siting but with all those standing at the back it seemed like many more than 250!
Four people told "their" account of life, student coming out of uni with 40k debt and no job, young business man telling how difficult it was to get banks to lead to start ups outside of London, a Doctor wanting to save NHS, a mother worried about her children's future.
Then Ed spoke about hope and optimism how things CAN be done different.
Then Q&A's - and yes we did laugh at Norman Smith but only when he said there was no crisis in NHS, blatantly ignoring A&E and ambulance's and cancelled ops!
Off for some food
One thing forgot - when asked about student loans Ed was evasive (in a smiley way) saying that they do want to do something on SL and to expect more about that in coming weeks.....
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I hear that Norman Smith of the BBC wasn't exactly rapturously recieved at the Miliband event today, btw :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I hear that Norman Smith of the BBC wasn't exactly rapturously recieved at the Miliband event today, btw :)
Only when he said there was no crisis in NHS, blatantly ignoring A&E and ambulance's and cancelled ops! Very civil till then and it was his words not him that people laughed at :) I actually didn't hear the "pillock" comment, but won't dispute that it was said :lol: :lol:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I hear that Norman Smith of the BBC wasn't exactly rapturously recieved at the Miliband event today, btw :)
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to be enthusiastic about the campaigning, but my heart's not in it today as I had some bad news.

My wonderful AA sponsor has died suddenly at the age of 81. I've known her for 15 years, she's been my sponsor for 10 of them, and I will miss her very much. She was a wise, funny, kind, independent, batty, and always honest and true example of what sobriety really means.

She is irreplaceable. Requiescat In Pace, Sylvia.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PorFavor wrote:

And, while we’re doing videos, here’s ITV’s Tom Brady at the Osborne press conference telling the chancellor his costings exercise is “a load of nonsense”.
Facebook
Twitter
Google plus

34m ago15:40

Here’s a Guardian video of the BBC’s Norman Smith being heckled after asking a critical question at the Labour press conference. (See 11.27am.) (AndrewSparrow, Guardian)
I'm afraid you'll have to saunter over to the Guardian to follow the links to the videos, but you get the drift, I hope, along with a clue as to what time span you're aiming for in the blog.

(My previous post was in error, by the way. Talk among yourselves . . . .)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ephemerid wrote:Hello everyone.

I'm trying to be enthusiastic about the campaigning, but my heart's not in it today as I had some bad news.

My wonderful AA sponsor has died suddenly at the age of 81. I've known her for 15 years, she's been my sponsor for 10 of them, and I will miss her very much. She was a wise, funny, kind, independent, batty, and always honest and true example of what sobriety really means.

She is irreplaceable. Requiescat In Pace, Sylvia.
Sorry to hear that Ephe - condolences. xxx
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Ephemerhid

Very sorry to hear about that.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Does Ed Miliband’s election promise of four million conversations add up?
The Labour leader has pledged to have four million conversations with voters in the four-month run-up to the election – but is that even feasible? Let’s do the maths …

Jumped up little bar steward :fire:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/sho ... mentpage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AngryAsWell wrote:Does Ed Miliband’s election promise of four million conversations add up?
The Labour leader has pledged to have four million conversations with voters in the four-month run-up to the election – but is that even feasible? Let’s do the maths …

Jumped up little bar steward :fire:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/sho ... mentpage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He's asking for trouble with his overuse of the word "feasible". I'd advise him to go underground for a while.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Populus ‏@PopulusPolls · 2h2 hours ago
First VI of 2015: Lab 36 (+1), Con 34 (-1), LD 9 (=), UKIP 12 (=), Oth 10 (+1). Tables here: http://popu.lu/s_vi150105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheered me up a bit after that last garbage
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AngryAsWell wrote:Populus ‏@PopulusPolls · 2h2 hours ago
First VI of 2015: Lab 36 (+1), Con 34 (-1), LD 9 (=), UKIP 12 (=), Oth 10 (+1). Tables here: http://popu.lu/s_vi150105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheered me up a bit after that last garbage

335 v 272 would be a good result.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Former Ukip councillor on trial for alleged electoral fraud
Charges against Matthew Smith, 27, relate to nomination papers put forward in the Norfolk county council elections

Matthew Smith, 27, the Norfolk council member for Gorleston St Andrews who had been selected to stand for parliament for Great Yarmouth in the next general election, is one of three men due to stand trial at Norwich crown court. (Guardian, my emphasis)
So glad Ukip's stringent vetting and screening procedures are proving equal to the task. I wouldn't have it any other way. And, of course, if all else fails, there's always Portsmouth South.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... tion-fraud
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

In response to Russell Brand saying he had "clicky wrists" Ed Balls told Sky News "I'm not sure if he was having a go at my sexuality or was just trying to claim I had a disability" :o I'm sure he's aware of using stereotypical insults as a defence isn't a good bet. Still at least he shows a sense of humour.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

''A HAMPSHIRE councillor has quit as leader of his party after suggesting a woman was too ugly to be a victim of rape.

Philip Drury, who led the Liberal Democrat group on East Hampshire District Council, made the comments about 21-year-old fashion student Serena Bowes, who alleges she was sexually assaulted in Italy.

Commenting on a Facebook post, Cllr Drury wrote: “Not sure anyone would even want to think about it looking at her lol”. ''

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/1170219 ... /?ref=fbpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Thanks for the kind wishes.

Just seen this on Twitter - Tom Newton Dunn says apparently Wintour complained at Ed's talk "We're at the back where we'll be for the next four months" to which Ed replied "Quite right too"

Good going, Ed. Keep it up!
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

yahyah wrote:''A HAMPSHIRE councillor has quit as leader of his party after suggesting a woman was too ugly to be a victim of rape.

Philip Drury, who led the Liberal Democrat group on East Hampshire District Council, made the comments about 21-year-old fashion student Serena Bowes, who alleges she was sexually assaulted in Italy.

Commenting on a Facebook post, Cllr Drury wrote: “Not sure anyone would even want to think about it looking at her lol”. ''

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/1170219 ... /?ref=fbpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:o

How any human being can think that, never mind post it on Facebook is beyond me.

Should be forced to resign the seat.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Toby Latimer wrote:In response to Russell Brand saying he had "clicky wrists" Ed Balls told Sky News "I'm not sure if he was having a go at my sexuality or was just trying to claim I had a disability" :o I'm sure he's aware of using stereotypical insults as a defence isn't a good bet. Still at least he shows a sense of humour.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It didn't bother me, what Ed Balls said in Twitter link.

I listened to Mr. Balls' interview following Javid's SHAMBLES talk.

Ed Balls = nothing but net

Nothing but net is old-fashioned people lingo meaning job well done.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
Former Ukip councillor on trial for alleged electoral fraud
Charges against Matthew Smith, 27, relate to nomination papers put forward in the Norfolk county council elections

Matthew Smith, 27, the Norfolk council member for Gorleston St Andrews who had been selected to stand for parliament for Great Yarmouth in the next general election, is one of three men due to stand trial at Norwich crown court. (Guardian, my emphasis)
So glad Ukip's stringent vetting and screening procedures are proving equal to the task. I wouldn't have it any other way. And, of course, if all else fails, there's always Portsmouth South.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... tion-fraud
Do you get the feeling Portsmouth South is becoming the Royston Vasey of the general election 2015 PF?
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Osborne’s dossier on Labour election pledges is distinctly dodgy
Chancellor’s criticism of opposition spending plans while running £90bn deficit shows politics is as much about perception as fact

http://www.theguardian.com/business/eco ... ctly-dodgy
From the headline and the opening paras it seems Larry Elliott of the G is none too impressed with the Tories performance and 'writing skills' ...
It takes a lot of nerve to accuse your opponents of profligacy when the country is in the red by more than £90bn and you have missed your deficit reduction targets by a country mile.

That, though, was George Osborne’s strategy as he kicked off the Conservative party’s 2015 election campaign with a claim that Labour’s spending pledges of £23bn made it unfit for office. The choice for the electorate in May was between competence and chaos, the chancellor said.

Despite being given the appearance and feel of the Treasury’s budget red book, Osborne’s 82-page dossier was in truth a bit dodgy. It was greeted with undisguised scepticism by the media, who quickly damned it as flawed...
Warning ... the picture of Osborne with this could have come straight out of a trailer for the Omen.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Chancellor’s criticism of opposition spending plans while running £90bn deficit shows politics is as much about perception as fact

From the headline and the opening paras it seems Larry Elliott of the G is none too impressed with the Tories performance and 'writing skills' ...
It takes a lot of nerve to accuse your opponents of profligacy when the country is in the red by more than £90bn and you have missed your deficit reduction targets by a country mile.

That, though, was George Osborne’s strategy as he kicked off the Conservative party’s 2015 election campaign with a claim that Labour’s spending pledges of £23bn made it unfit for office. The choice for the electorate in May was between competence and chaos, the chancellor said.

Despite being given the appearance and feel of the Treasury’s budget red book, Osborne’s 82-page dossier was in truth a bit dodgy. It was greeted with undisguised scepticism by the media, who quickly damned it as flawed...
Warning ... the picture of Osborne with this could have come straight out of a trailer for the Omen.

And, as I've just pointed out on AS, I reckon they've done this way too early.

manifestos don't come out for another couple of months - Labour could quite easily have a few policies up their sleeve which the Tories won't be able to go back to the civil service and get costed. Well, I would hope that the mandarins would tell them where to go.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Bear with me ... can anyone explain what this top tweet here means? Thank you very much in advance.
Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 41m 41 minutes ago
ENGLAND & WALES only shares from today's Populus (my calculation)
CON 36
LAB 36
LD 9
UKIP 13
CON to LAB swing 5.4%

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 1h 1 hour ago
The first full voting survey of 2015 from Online
Lab 36 (+1), Con 34 (-1), LD 9 (=), UKIP 12 (=)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@rebeccariots2

Ha!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

And, as I've just pointed out on AS, I reckon they've done this way too early.

manifestos don't come out for another couple of months - Labour could quite easily have a few policies up their sleeve which the Tories won't be able to go back to the civil service and get costed. Well, I would hope that the mandarins would tell them where to go.
From some of the comments today I don't think the mandarins were all that chuffed to have been caught up in having to contribute to such a 'composite' document - that's me using a polite term for what I really think it is. The conclusion from another G piece says this:
Osborne’s claim to objectivity is hard to sustain. However, in an election campaign the remaining question is whether the Tory claims cross the line from ordinary partisan politics into outright falsehood and duplicity.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/rea ... on-pledges
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Bear with me ... can anyone explain what this top tweet here means? Thank you very much in advance.
CON 36
LAB 36
LD 9
UKIP 13
CON to LAB swing 5.4%

He's taken out the Scotland figures I assume.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Karl Turner MP retweeted
Matthew Scott ‏@Barristerblog 3h3 hours ago
Judge orders MoJ to pay for advocate to cross-examine children, despite "vigorous head shaking" of 2 MoJ officials. http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWFC/HCJ/2015/1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Disgraceful. Follow this link through to read the ruling ... which makes the appalling nature of Grayling's legal aid cuts very apparent.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

frightful_oik wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Bear with me ... can anyone explain what this top tweet here means? Thank you very much in advance.
CON 36
LAB 36
LD 9
UKIP 13
CON to LAB swing 5.4%

Thank you - but what does it mean?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Crisis? What crisis?
Beverley rugby player Adam Robson's 'two-hour ambulance wait'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-30674153" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 32: LONDON SOUTH WEST
http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2015/01/0 ... um=twitter
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh dear, another one they got wrong in that document...on Labour's idea to have a Director of School Standards.

From the document:
The DfE has been asked to assume that every LA would have a DSS. There are 152 LAs, however the DfE has assumed that 150 offices would be established because two of the LAs (City of London and Isles of Scilly) are extremely small and education management is usually co-located with larger neighbouring LAs.

Except that (i) Hunt said that it was likely that LAs would collaborate and as for Blunkett...
Jonathan Simons
‏@PXEducation
The opposition costing model for DSS (£65m pa) assumes 150 new DSSs. Which is odd, because Blunkett says 40-80
Oh dear...SpAd says "take the worst possible case and never mind what they've actually said" and civil service obliges.

What an utterly shite exercise in politicising the civil service. And sticking it on the Government website too - this is party political.

I'd love Dilnot to rule that they should take them off.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ChrisDean
Backbencher

Post by ChrisDean »

https://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh dear, another one they got wrong in that document...on Labour's idea to have a Director of School Standards.

From the document:
The DfE has been asked to assume that every LA would have a DSS. There are 152 LAs, however the DfE has assumed that 150 offices would be established because two of the LAs (City of London and Isles of Scilly) are extremely small and education management is usually co-located with larger neighbouring LAs.

Except that (i) Hunt said that it was likely that LAs would collaborate and as for Blunkett...
Jonathan Simons
‏@PXEducation
The opposition costing model for DSS (£65m pa) assumes 150 new DSSs. Which is odd, because Blunkett says 40-80
Oh dear...SpAd says "take the worst possible case and never mind what they've actually said" and civil service obliges.

What an utterly shite exercise in politicising the civil service. And sticking it on the Government website too - this is party political.

I'd love Dilnot to rule that they should take them off.
Can Dilnot be asked to look at them ... with a view to assessing whether they go beyond the bounds of what are proper and accurate government publications? Do the costs of preparation of these get counted in electoral campaign costs?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

frightful_oik wrote:
CON 36
LAB 36
LD 9
UKIP 13
CON to LAB swing 5.4%

He's added up each region of England + Wales (which is actually Wales + South West England in the figures) and divided the VI percentage from each by the number of regions to get an average without Scotland.

The VI for Wales + South West England is apparently 38% Con and 30% Lab but this is based on a sample size of 160, half that of any other region in the poll (apart from Scotland) so the margin of error will be larger.

It's also worth pointing out that when they did the weighting they weighted the North figure (where Labour are easily the strongest) down by twice as much as they did the South East or the Midlands, even though it was already quite a bit lower than either of them.
Last edited by Spacedone on Mon 05 Jan, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

My computer security has blocked that link, are you able to give the headline so I can try the paper's website for it please ?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Not a valid certificate so I won't le me open it ?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Have we all seen this latest?
Just out today.
I understand it's expensive complying with competition rules & regulations with the county next door instead of cooperating with them for a shared deal.
It's better to let legal staff do some other work.
Not this - or have I misunderstood Monitor's role here with this announcement?
I very well may have done.
Please let me know.
Integrated care: how to comply with Monitor’s requirements
Last updated: 5 January 2015

Updated guidance to reflect newly published documents (e.g. related to pricing) and to clarify and consolidate a number of sections where content relates to the choice and competition rules and regulations.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... quirements
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ed Miliband speech in Salford
http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1072081 ... in-salford" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

So, fess up AAW, was it you who called Norman Smith a pillock?
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Sarah, final year student at Leeds University
http://www.labour.org.uk/blog/entry/a-h ... 1_05_blog5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChrisDean
Backbencher

Post by ChrisDean »

Sorry folks, my computer skills are very poor.

Headline is "Cheltenham MP Martin Horwood blasts Gloucestershire Hospitals after first hand experience of weekend crisis".
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ChrisDean wrote:Sorry folks, my computer skills are very poor.

Headline is "Cheltenham MP Martin Horwood blasts Gloucestershire Hospitals after first hand experience of weekend crisis".
Thanks !

A bit of a blast from the past for me seeing the Glos Echo as I used to live in Cirencester.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:So, fess up AAW, was it you who called Norman Smith a pillock?
That was actually the deafening sound of everyone in the country who heard him say there wasn't a crisis. This from the same man who refused to acknowledge that 50,000 people were protesting for the NHS outside the Tory conference.