Monday 5th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Spacedone
Whip

Monday 5th January 2015

Post by Spacedone »

Morning all.

The top story on both the BBC and Guardian website is the negative (and probably utterly untrue if they're true to form) campaigning by the Tories, having again misused public resources by using the Treasury as a wing of the Tory election campaign, about Labour's spending plans.

Tories attack Labour on '£20.7bn unfunded spending' commitments
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30677112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Didn't someone on here say yesterday that the IFS had said Labour has they least unfunded commitments of the three main parties?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Monday 5th January 2015

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Spacedone wrote:Morning all.

The top story on both the BBC and Guardian website is the negative (and probably utterly untrue if they're true to form) campaigning by the Tories, having again misused public resources by using the Treasury as a wing of the Tory election campaign, about Labour's spending plans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30677112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Didn't someone on here say yesterday that the IFS had said Labour has they least unfunded commitments of the three main parties?
Morning - it was Chris Leslie citing the IFS (well not on here but that's the original source I think).
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Morning - it was Chris Leslie citing the IFS (well not on here but that's the original source I think).
Two points need hammering home by Labour when asked about this. First, as quoted Shadow chancellor Ed Balls has also written to the Treasury's most senior civil servant, Sir Nicholas Macpherson, to request "urgent reform".
Mr Balls said the practice of the Treasury basing costings on "assumptions provided by special advisers, is now putting HM Treasury officials in an impossible position owing to Conservative advisers consistently providing blatantly false and politically-motivated assumptions." and secondly the push to get the OBR to formally examine each parties economic plans. Chote said it was a good idea.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

StephenDolan wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Two points need hammering home by Labour when asked about this. First, as quoted Shadow chancellor Ed Balls has also written to the Treasury's most senior civil servant, Sir Nicholas Macpherson, to request "urgent reform".
Mr Balls said the practice of the Treasury basing costings on "assumptions provided by special advisers, is now putting HM Treasury officials in an impossible position owing to Conservative advisers consistently providing blatantly false and politically-motivated assumptions." and secondly the push to get the OBR to formally examine each parties economic plans. Chote said it was a good idea.
Completely agree.

The OBR thing was a very smart move by Balls. Whenever the "unfunded" accusation comes up the Eds can just say look this is all hearsay. We asked to have our figures analysed and the Government have refused. We'd still like it to happen. What are they scared of?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morning.
Shamed MP Neil Hamilton may contest Portsmouth South for Ukip

A leaked report suggests the UK Independence Party (Ukip) is being forced to find a seat for Mr Hamilton to campaign for – and Portsmouth South is being sized up.(News)
And what an honour it will be if Portsmouth South gets everyone else's reject.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/ ... -1-6502451
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andy Burnham ‏@andyburnhammp 52m52 minutes ago
Labour will soon reveal detailed & costed 10-year plan for NHS & social care. Would've mentioned on BBC but struggle to get word in edgeways
Good morning all. Look forward to this from AB and Labour.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:Good morning.
Shamed MP Neil Hamilton may contest Portsmouth South for Ukip

A leaked report suggests the UK Independence Party (Ukip) is being forced to find a seat for Mr Hamilton to campaign for – and Portsmouth South is being sized up.(News)
And what an honour it will be if Portsmouth South gets everyone else's reject.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/ ... -1-6502451
I felt for you when I read this PF - honestly I did. The ridicule has already started - before the man has even been selected. And they're only going to foist Hamilton on the electorate because one of their big wig donors is demanding it. And Farage has the nerve to criticise other parties for being gravy train ruled ....
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

What a freak show that would be if Handycock also stood as an Independent (which is, it seems, distinctly possible)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:What a freak show that would be if Handycock also stood as an Independent (which is, it seems, distinctly possible)
Morning all.
I thought it was pretty much nailed on that Hancock would stand as an Independent, because the pay off is larger for an MP defeated in an election rather than one standing down
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

danesclose wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:What a freak show that would be if Handycock also stood as an Independent (which is, it seems, distinctly possible)
Morning all.
I thought it was pretty much nailed on that Hancock would stand as an Independent, because the pay off is larger for an MP defeated in an election rather than one standing down
Oh, yes - I think there's next to no chance of his not standing.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-morning, everyone.

Has the Portsmouth South candidate read the job description? It's a great big responsibility representing a constituency in Parliament.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

A Sparrow just shared the Tory 'analysis' on Lab spending, and the Labour rebuttal
B6lbGdEIAAEMI5n.jpg
B6lbGdEIAAEMI5n.jpg (33.01 KiB) Viewed 15606 times
B6laoFeIAAAwCPG.jpg
B6laoFeIAAAwCPG.jpg (62.29 KiB) Viewed 15606 times
Attachments
B6laoFeIAAAwCPG.jpg
B6laoFeIAAAwCPG.jpg (62.29 KiB) Viewed 15606 times
Last edited by Toby Latimer on Mon 05 Jan, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Wow, this is starting to get awfully close to Number 10...

Murder link to Margaret Thatcher aide accused of raping teenage boy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... e-boy.html
Scotland Yard is investigating a possible link between one of Margaret Thatcher’s closest aides and the unsolved murder of an eight-year-old boy in the 1980s.

Sir Peter Morrison, the former deputy chairman of the Conservative Party who died in 1995, was a known child molester but was never charged with any crime during his lifetime.

Now police are examining whether the MP for Chester could have had any link to the unsolved murder of eight-year-old Vishal Mehrotra in 1981.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 14m14 minutes ago
See on Osborne's face he knows that Tory launch went badly. Report on Labour spending not worth the paper it's printed on
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

BBC showing favoritism again
10888448_325465817648155_6729976503469516479_n.jpg
10888448_325465817648155_6729976503469516479_n.jpg (67.3 KiB) Viewed 15560 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jeremy Cliffe ‏@JeremyCliffe 28m28 minutes ago
Osborne would be mad to let the OBR audit Labour's spending plans: they would probably get a clean bill of health.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

The Tory press conference seems not to have gone down to well with the journalists. Summed it like this:

"Here's some dodgy numbers based on anything any Labour MP has ever said. Aren't you impressed?"
"No"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sudden thought:

People of all political persuasions were, a few years ago, all muttering about people out of work for whatever reason getting more than they were.

I wonder if they've realised that with wages falling they have been used, and will be again if the Tories get in, as part of the solution?

Cut their wages even more, and the Cons can carry on slashing SS to level them out.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jonathan Ashworth MP ‏@JonAshworth 2m2 minutes ago
Oh dear Sajid Javid just forced to concede Tories haven't 'spelt out' how they will fund their £7bn+ tax cuts #WATO
It was painful to listen to.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Oh dear Sajid Javid just forced to concede Tories haven't 'spelt out' how they will fund their £7bn+ tax cuts #WATO
It was, I was laughing so much at how bad he was that I may have bruised a rib. This mob really are useless, roll out their big guns for a major press conference & then let the whole thing unravel just an hour later.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ed Balls did pretty well on WATO just now.

This Tory dossier on Labour spending plans ... so it's now perfectly acceptable to make up your opponent's spending plans? They must be running scared and playing very very dirty to have decided they want to spend more time on preparing an alternative Labour manifesto and budget than sorting out the detail - such as a gaping 7bn funding gap - for their own.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
It was, I was laughing so much at how bad he was that I may have bruised a rib. This mob really are useless, roll out their big guns for a major press conference & then let the whole thing unravel just an hour later.
Agree. And I agree with this too:
Tony McNulty ‏@Tony_McNulty 6m6 minutes ago
@abelardinelli Hope Tories keep @sajidjavid as major spokesperson - won't last five minutes in the election campaign proper #WatoCarCrash
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

He (Nick Clegg - and if you read on you'll see that it really couldn't have been anyone else (apart from, perhaps, any other LibDem)) also refused to rule out going into coalition with Ukip, although he said he could not see any meeting point between them and said Nigel Farage represented everything he opposed. (Andrew Sparrow, Guardian)
Edited

Just to clarify - the bit in the (wrong sort of) brackets was my two-penn'orth and not Andrew Sparrow's (or whoever's writing the blog).
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 05 Jan, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: It was painful to listen to.
Agree. And I agree with this too:
Tony McNulty ‏@Tony_McNulty 6m6 minutes ago
@abelardinelli Hope Tories keep @sajidjavid as major spokesperson - won't last five minutes in the election campaign proper #WatoCarCrash
Crazy thing is that was why Javid for the Culture gig; not because of his love of the Arts, but because he was supposed to be a safe pair of hands on radio & TV. Instead it is turning into a toss up as to who is the biggest liability media-wise, Javid or Gove. As I don't have the proverbial heart of stone I hope you'll forgive me a vindictive chuckle .....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 14m14 minutes ago
See on Osborne's face he knows that Tory launch went badly. Report on Labour spending not worth the paper it's printed on
Andrew Sparrow Tweeted that it wasn't very convincing, but Osborne didn't seem bothered. I replied he wouldn't be if he was as out of it as he was the other week.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
He (Nick Clegg - and if you read on you'll see that it really couldn't have been anyone else (apart from, perhaps, any other LibDem)) also refused to rule out going into coalition with Ukip, although he said he could not see any meeting point between them and said Nigel Farage represented everything he opposed. (Andrew Sparrow, Guardian)
He's making them into a right tarts' party ... and sorry for being offensive to tarts - who I'm sure don't want to be associated with the Lib Dems in any way whatsoever.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
A few years ago I read that policy decisions were sort of on the hoof. They don't do much meeting around a table to thrash things out and get their stories straight.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
He's making them into a right tarts' party ... and sorry for being offensive to tarts - who I'm sure don't want to be associated with the Lib Dems in any way whatsoever.
I'm not well acquainted with many tarts except a few old ones like me, but I think they have more integrity in their little fingers than the whole sorry bunch of LibDems.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tories call on Cameron to gerrymander the electoral register
http://peterblack.blogspot.co.uk/2015/0 ... ander.html
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:A few years ago I read that policy decisions were sort of on the hoof. They don't do much meeting around a table to thrash things out and get their stories straight.
Judging by the body language displayed in that press conference today, you get the feeling some of them can hardly bear to be in the same room with each other, let alone round a table. I grow more convinced that the Tory Party is on the verge of splintering, terminally, and is just being held together by George & Lynton's enforcers; but how much longer can they keep things together, would be nice if they imploded before the election.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Ed Balls did pretty well on WATO just now.

This Tory dossier on Labour spending plans ... so it's now perfectly acceptable to make up your opponent's spending plans? They must be running scared and playing very very dirty to have decided they want to spend more time on preparing an alternative Labour manifesto and budget than sorting out the detail - such as a gaping 7bn funding gap - for their own.
I imagine the cupboard's pretty bare for the Tory spin doctors...Almost the minute they come up with a slogan or plan it's easily discounted or so juvenile no-one takes it seriously.

They are so not up to the job. It's just a shame people are only now catching on.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh
Asked if Tory party were going to do similar costing analysis of LibDems plans, Treasury source replies, with a smile, "No:
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Just come across The Times cartoonist Peter Brookes take on the Tory poster, published on Saturday - how did this get past Mudoch :)
B6YFNL7IYAAsKGl.jpg
B6YFNL7IYAAsKGl.jpg (107.02 KiB) Viewed 15493 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Ed Balls did pretty well on WATO just now.

I imagine the cupboard's pretty bare for the Tory spin doctors...Almost the minute they come up with a slogan or plan it's easily discounted or so juvenile no-one takes it seriously.

They are so not up to the job. It's just a shame people are only now catching on.
I don't know why Ohso (but will accept it's got something to do with my smutty mind) but I keep having an image of a bloke with his flies wide open furiously pointing out a small bit of someone's vest showing as utterly disgusting ... that seems to be the Tories campaign summed up.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Toby Latimer wrote:Just come across The Times cartoonist Peter Brookes take on the Tory poster, published on Saturday - how did this get past Mudoch :)
The attachment B6YFNL7IYAAsKGl.jpg is no longer available
Martin's is better I think.
Attachments
proxy.jpg
proxy.jpg (101.4 KiB) Viewed 15488 times
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Courtesy of Laura McInerney, here's one of the policy proposals. Think how much this cost of civil service time if this was replicated for everything.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... hority.pdf

And it begins...

Policy assumptions from HM Treasury’s special advisers

There you go - government website putting out Tory Party propaganda. This should be on the Tories own website using their own people. Or get the OBR to cost them.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@Toby Latimer

Thanks for the Times cartoon. It's very good. I couldn't use my gratitude-ometer as you've been spreading yourself about a bit and I can't get over you (so I'll have to get up and go round. Boo boom.)!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 31: LONDON CENTRAL
http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2015/01/0 ... um=twitter
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

PorFavor wrote:@Toby Latimer

Thanks for the Times cartoon. It's very good. I couldn't use my gratitude-ometer as you've been spreading yourself about a bit and I can't get over you (so I'll have to get up and go round. Boo boom.)!

Rather surprised to see it in a Tory supporting paper, i would expect it in the Indy perhaps, or the Mirror or Graun.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Here's the bus driver's son Javid having a car crash interview on TWAO http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02gbfmq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Toby Latimer wrote:
PorFavor wrote:@Toby Latimer

Rather surprised to see it in a Tory supporting paper, i would expect it in the Indy perhaps, or the Mirror or Graun.
Yes - so am I. A pleasant surprise, though.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Well that was a bit dull, wasn't it?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I see Giselle97 has taken up Mark Ferguson's critical stance re Labour with him ... and sparked a bit of a discussion.
Giselle
‏@giselle97
@Markfergusonuk More unresearched anti-Labour negative comments from you Mark. Why don't you just change completely to Tory/LibDem #WeBackEd
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Willow904 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Well that was a bit dull, wasn't it?
Yes - except I like the bits where he says the Labour majority will increase substantially - most notably for Emily Thornberry in Islington. :D
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

I remember reading something ages ago about sexual representation and allusion in imagery. It said that valleys and clefts were representative of female sexual organs and that towers and suchlike represent a phallus.

In the tory image, you have the road/penis stretching effortlessly forward into...a declevity/vagina in the hills...that is not in the original image.

Or that is one reading anyway. But they have definitely altered the image to make that declevity for the road to plunge manfully into.

I'm sorry to draw this to your attention, but this may be a nasty glance into the mental workings of Corrinne Stockheath from Surrey. Or mine. You are the judges!
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Courtesy of Laura McInerney, here's one of the policy proposals. Think how much this cost of civil service time if this was replicated for everything.

And it begins...

There you go - government website putting out Tory Party propaganda. This should be on the Tories own website using their own people. Or get the OBR to cost them.
Political Scrapbook had a similar story that the "assumptions@ for the Labour costings was from Treasury SPADs, not Treasury Officials

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/01/f ... officials/
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Courtesy of Laura McInerney, here's one of the policy proposals. Think how much this cost of civil service time if this was replicated for everything.

And it begins...

The 'policy assumptions from HM Treasury's special advisers' is wholly inappropriate, as you say, Roger. Current government's special advisers put on this task pulling data out of context from the Opposition & making up assumptions is wrong. It's repugnant to me to see this obvious political guerilla tactics from current government using 'government stationery' as a legitimising effort.

Let the OBR do it.
Last edited by citizenJA on Mon 05 Jan, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I think that is *slightly* unfair on Mark Ferguson tbh - though I equally understand why people get frustrated with him ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

mikems wrote:I remember reading something ages ago about sexual representation and allusion in imagery. It said that valleys and clefts were representative of female sexual organs and that towers and suchlike represent a phallus.

In the tory image, you have the road/penis stretching effortlessly forward into...a declevity/vagina in the hills...that is not in the original image.

Or that is one reading anyway. But they have definitely altered the image to make that declevity for the road to plunge manfully into.

I'm sorry to draw this to your attention, but this may be a nasty glance into the mental workings of Corrinne Stockheath from Surrey. Or mine. You are the judges!

Ah, well. That's the Conservatives - hoping to carry on shafting practically everyone.

Sorry. But you started it (or Corinne Stockheath from Surrey (who?) did). As you can probably tell, I'm no judge of anything . . . .

Edited for sodding brackets.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I think that is *slightly* unfair on Mark Ferguson tbh - though I equally understand why people get frustrated with him ;)
Frustrated is an understatement. After the leadership crisis that wasn't he acknowledged his tendency to be negative, and promised to critique rather than criticise; but he has just carried on in the same vein. I'm with Giselle 100%, I think Ferguson has become part of the problem, not the solution.