Tuesday 6th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 6th January 2015

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Another rant about UK trains

Travelled 1 hour 40 mins from home town to Geneva Airport 1st class - cost CHF65 return (approx £45). Had to use a half price card which costs around CHF 150 (£100) but this gives a years half price travel on all trains no matter what time and no need to book in advance. It is also available to non-residents

Travelled by train from Temple Meads to Wolverhampton. Tried to book in advance. No advance fares on the train we had to get (7 days before travel). No 'off-peak' fares available - only anytime. Had to buy the anytime single which cost £56 each. Train was late - and also half empty so they could not say that the rules of supply and demand were relevant.

I know Tubby keeps trying to defend the UK rail service but I have nothing but bad experiences over 20 years

I don't drive and used to take the train all the time when in the UK - it is appalling service. I spoke to a Chinese visitor who had to pay £95 from Edinburgh to Manchester because he did not understand all the options available to him on the machine, and there was no explanation of what off-peak is and what times it covered
All I'm saying is that most of the problems are down to lack of taxpayer subsidy, not the fact train companies are run by the private sector. I'm quite impatient when Lucas and others try and obscure that.

The types of fares are regulated by the taxpayer. Confusion of passengers is tacitly tolerated so that the Treasury gets more money and the subsidy can be less. I agree with you it's completely unacceptable.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

We're getting hit with rises in London from the Ledge because he's frozen the mayor's precept for 6 years. The tube is publicly owned and run.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Travelled 1 hour 40 mins from home town to Geneva Airport 1st class - cost CHF65 return (approx £45). Had to use a half price card which costs around CHF 150 (£100) but this gives a years half price travel on all trains no matter what time and no need to book in advance. It is also available to non-residents

Travelled by train from Temple Meads to Wolverhampton. Tried to book in advance. No advance fares on the train we had to get (7 days before travel). No 'off-peak' fares available - only anytime. Had to buy the anytime single which cost £56 each. Train was late - and also half empty so they could not say that the rules of supply and demand were relevant.

I know Tubby keeps trying to defend the UK rail service but I have nothing but bad experiences over 20 years

I don't drive and used to take the train all the time when in the UK - it is appalling service. I spoke to a Chinese visitor who had to pay £95 from Edinburgh to Manchester because he did not understand all the options available to him on the machine, and there was no explanation of what off-peak is and what times it covered
My train service to London is bloody wonderful, as good as anything in the world. Shame it costs more than the planet.

If you want abysmal first world, try the USA some time.
Mate on facebook pays £4500 for London -> Brighton. Can't say he's impressed. His posts to and from work are hilarious....at least 5 delays a week and he has a load of delay claims. I can buy a GA which gives free travel in Switzerland and reduced fares in France and Germany for half that. I know it is a smaller country but bloody hell - twice the price just for a 1 hour (sometimes) journey!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Could we have a national public transportation (buses, trains) pass for everyone? An annual public transportation pass allowing all of the people who'd purchased their yearly public transportation pass the ability to use any bus, any train in the UK without restriction? One price (I've no idea what that would be), no worry about getting the wrong train or bus.

Anyone's thoughts on this would be appreciated.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Tubby Isaacs
Confusion of passengers is tacitly tolerated so that the Treasury gets more money and the subsidy can be less. I agree with you it's completely unacceptable.
That's the reason a single payment using train or buses unlimited sounds so attractive to me.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
George Eaton @georgeeaton · 2h 2 hours ago
The best election forecasting machine in the business from @May2015NS: http://bit.ly/1xOa6rk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It does look good.
Does it? Do you trust the New Statesman? Sure, okay, the work here in the link is 'unaligned election site'. What makes this endeavour 'the best election forecasting machine'? I'm not being cheeky, I really want to know.
About May2015
May2015 is the New Statesman’s new, unaligned election site. It will be producing stories, interviews and ideas on the general election, and gathering all the most relevant data – on everything from polls to policy.

What’s going to happen over the next eight months and who’s going to win? We have built an interactive platform that allows you to track the latest polls, look ahead to different scenarios, and make your own predictions.
Good point JA I reckon Harry Lambert is a bit flaky. Maybe we should engage with him though and help him improve his thing ;-)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The Bristol-Birmingham section, I think, is usually pretty overcrowded. Surprised the train was half-empty. It's long been under-invested in- the Thatcher government cut electrification plans, and it's still not been done, I don't think.

This route used to be run by Virgin and if I remember rightly, they took a very big reputational hit for problems on it. Branson might be a dickhead but they're basically competent, so I guess a lot of that was down to the infrastructure.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Harry Lambert

My worry is he would look quite at home in HR Waldram's hat, if you know what I mean ;-)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:@Tubby Isaacs
Confusion of passengers is tacitly tolerated so that the Treasury gets more money and the subsidy can be less. I agree with you it's completely unacceptable.
That's the reason a single payment using train or buses unlimited sounds so attractive to me.
I don't know the cost of putting a machine on every bus everywhere. I can't believe it isn't standard in big cities.

We can pay for buses and trains with our contactless bank cards now. Cash has been banned from buses (though drivers are allowed to show leeway when there are worried about someone's safety) and they'd love to junk the Oystercard altogether.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Good point JA I reckon Harry Lambert is a bit flaky. Maybe we should engage with him though and help him improve his thing ;-)
He certainly is flaky. Nice chap on Twitter, but did write some drivel about Labour being dogmatically anti-academies where he just wrote up what the ARK person said.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:The Bristol-Birmingham section, I think, is usually pretty overcrowded. Surprised the train was half-empty. It's long been under-invested in- the Thatcher government cut electrification plans, and it's still not been done, I don't think.

This route used to be run by Virgin and if I remember rightly, they took a very big reputational hit for problems on it. Branson might be a dickhead but they're basically competent, so I guess a lot of that was down to the infrastructure.
well it wasn't on this train - middle of morning and only fare available was an 'anytime' - no advance, no off-peak. Train only 4 carriages as well. My train from Geneva was 12 - only two of which were 1st class (cmpared to UK trains). I have only had to stand on a train here when travelling to a big sporting or music event. Even peak times in ski season you can get a seat (if the locals move their bags......). The train to the airport on Sunday was ridiculous. Oh and another thing, same train service on sundays and bank holidays (except for some commuter lines where peak time train nubers may be reduced), even Christmas Day and New Year
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

On Twitter hospital after hospital going into crisis...And it won't get better because the home care cuts are now biting. Now I'm wondering what's going to happen if there's a bad flu outbreak to add to the chaos?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

My train service to London is bloody wonderful, as good as anything in the world. Shame it costs more than the planet.

Mate on facebook pays £4500 for London -> Brighton. Can't say he's impressed. His posts to and from work are hilarious....at least 5 delays a week and he has a load of delay claims. I can buy a GA which gives free travel in Switzerland and reduced fares in France and Germany for half that. I know it is a smaller country but bloody hell - twice the price just for a 1 hour (sometimes) journey!
Nice (though not academic level depth) thing on why that is here.

http://www.seat61.com/uk-europe-train-f ... KxfbiusVJs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People who will basically use the train anyway (commuters, business travellers, short notice people) are milked. I'm guessing there isn't a lot of space on Brighton commuter trains- so the pricing makes some sense in cash to the Treasury terms, but those commuters pay lots and get overcrowding, which isn't fare. Commuting fares are set by the government.

Tim Fenton thinks this model will become more common in Europe.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:The Bristol-Birmingham section, I think, is usually pretty overcrowded. Surprised the train was half-empty. It's long been under-invested in- the Thatcher government cut electrification plans, and it's still not been done, I don't think.

There are some things that puzzle me.

Firstly Cross Country - Crappy little overcrowded trains, why? Get bigger trains. The 125 remains about the most successful train this country ever produced, make a successor. These crappy little 5 car Voyager trains are useless. Smelly crowded, cramped, hot but two more carriages would make them liveable.

Secondly Trans-Pennine, get some real trains. Even the crap sitting at Long Marston is better than those shitty little sprinters.

Up until recently Virgin used to run the Pretendolino, it was slower than the real thing being old stock loco hauled but the interior was palatial compared to Voyager and Pendolino services.
Release the Guardvarks.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: My train service to London is bloody wonderful, as good as anything in the world. Shame it costs more than the planet.

http://www.seat61.com/uk-europe-train-f ... KxfbiusVJs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People who will basically use the train anyway (commuters, business travellers, short notice people) are milked. I'm guessing there isn't a lot of space on Brighton commuter trains- so the pricing makes some sense in cash to the Treasury terms, but those commuters pay lots and get overcrowding, which isn't fare. Commuting fares are set by the government.

Not to any great extent here it won't.......
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

howsillyofme1 wrote:

well it wasn't on this train - middle of morning and only fare available was an 'anytime' - no advance, no off-peak. Train only 4 carriages as well. My train from Geneva was 12 - only two of which were 1st class (cmpared to UK trains). I have only had to stand on a train here when travelling to a big sporting or music event. Even peak times in ski season you can get a seat (if the locals move their bags......). The train to the airport on Sunday was ridiculous. Oh and another thing, same train service on sundays and bank holidays (except for some commuter lines where peak time train nubers may be reduced), even Christmas Day and New Year
Switzerland is 100% electrified, so at a big advantage.

There often seems to me to be too much 1st class, but I guess again that it's Treasury-driven.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Marvellous.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Mail front pages tomorrow is all about the A&E crisis and has three sub-headings - one being "Chaos blamed on Labour's GP contract"

Right...so the fact that if the 95% target had been in place from 2005 to 2010 it would have been met for every single quarter...wait...when was that GP contract changed? 2003? Oh...

Cheeky sods. In power for nearly 5 years and Labour still gets the blame.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

howsillyofme1 wrote: Not to any great extent here it won't.......
That's good to hear. It's a pretty narrow view, failing to see the broader economic picture with affordable commuting fares. But it does need more capacity than we have on commuting routes into London, anyway. And doubtless other major cities too.

I guess long term rail investment has put you in this virtuous circle, where the fares are low enough to attract more people who then become a political force you can't mess with.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Marvellous.

The Mail front pages tomorrow is all about the A&E crisis and has three sub-headings - one being "Chaos blamed on Labour's GP contract"

Right...so the fact that if the 95% target had been in place from 2005 to 2010 it would have been met for every single quarter...wait...when was that GP contract changed? 2003? Oh...

]

How do they explain the difficulty getting medics to going into general practice, if their contract allows them to spent all their time on the beach and become millionaires anyway?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Marvellous.

]

How do they explain the difficulty getting medics to going into general practice, if their contract allows them to spent all their time on the beach and become millionaires anyway?
We'll just have to wait for the story - not up yet. I'm sure they'll find some reason - wonder where that one came from?

Edit - my mum's GP retired because he didn't want to get into GP fundholding...he said that he trained to be a doctor not an accountant.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I commute Shrewsbury-Wolvo on the train and the morning service is very good - I wouldn't think that if I got on at Telford because I'd probably have to stand but once the work at New Street is finished we should go back to four carriage trains (instead of three) and that will be sorted. The way home is horrible, not because of punctuality (which is okay rather than perfect but to be honest I'm very tolerant of it so long as they keep you informed) but because of horrendous overcrowding - there are two x four carriage trains an hour and they are both full to overflowing when they arrive at Wolves - and because of the timetable - the two trains are a stopper that goes before a faster service so they both arrive home at the same time and if there's a problem with the first one they are both automatically delayed.
I still believe in a town called Hope
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

As promised the first part of my criticism of the privatised railway (more to come I'm afraid)
• The Cost of Running the Railway has risen alarmingly – 100% in real terms.
The last full year of the non-privatised railway was 1993/94 when total subsidies for the passenger railway (PSO) was £1035.4 million pounds (£930M from central government £105.4M from Local Government) which equated to a subsidy of 3.36pence per passenger mile. Note this includes Scotland.

In 2013/14 total passenger subsidies for the franchise operators was £3,595 million pounds of which £182M is from Local Government which equates to a subsidy of 6.8pence per passenger mile in England , a subsidy of 7.1 pence per passenger mile in Scotland (2011/12 figure) and a subsidy of 12.2p in Wales (2012/13 figure).

So to make it a fairish comparison at (2013/14 price levels) subsidies are approximately (and this is difficult)
Total Subsidy 1993/94 £1797.1 Million as compared with 2013/14 £3,595 Million 100% increase in real terms.
Subsidy per passenger mile in England 1993/94 5.8p as compared with 2013/14 6.8p 17% increase in real terms.
From 1st April 1994 until 31st March 2014 RPI has increased 78% but regulated Train Fares have increased by a minimum of 151% up to a maximum of 245%.
Of course, as is pointed out by those defending these increases, there are opportunities to buy very much cheaper fares in advance & on line. This is great for those who know exactly when they are going to travel or with access to a computer or are ‘savvy’ enough to root around for the best deals. In fact the otherwise excellent Man in Seat 61 commentator Mark Smith uses this as a reason why Britain is no worse off than the rest of Europe. This ignores the fact that exceptionally cheap fares are also available on the best state railways in Europe and usually with less notice and less restrictions whilst on every railway in Europe walk-up fares are always cheaper and most often very much cheaper than a British walk-up fare. Just one example 373 miles Berlin to Munich by the most expensive train (ICE using DBs super new High Speed Railway) is £112, 300 miles London to Carlisle by the most expensive train is £177. Of course cheaper tickets are available on both routes on specified trains purchased in advance but the ones shown above are walk-up fares.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Talking of NS and flaky, here's Rafael Behr being uncompromisingly unflaky and good for him.
Power without purpose: the tragic rule of David Cameron
The prime minister rose without ideological trace. Whatever the election result, he seems likely to disappear the same way
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... l-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
I don't know the cost of putting a machine on every bus everywhere. I can't believe it isn't standard in big cities.

We can pay for buses and trains with our contactless bank cards now. Cash has been banned from buses (though drivers are allowed to show leeway when there are worried about someone's safety) and they'd love to junk the Oystercard altogether.
I've not explained my vision well enough, Tubby Isaacs, please bear with me. I'm talking about a single pass paid once, yearly, for use on any public transportation in the UK, using that pass to board & ride unlimited amounts having had paid the yearly fee for the public transportation pass for the year. I'm in Stoke, the buses take cash - lots of my cash.

'It's the wrong train oh shit it's a super-off peak - how did that happen? I know damn well I selected off-peak. I fork out full price because advance super-off peak done me wrong...'

'Contactless bank cards' for use on trains/buses - no. I'd like use my bank card to pay one time for my annual public transportation pass for use on any train or bus or trolley in the UK unlimited, for one year, one payment.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

I've not explained my vision well enough, Tubby Isaacs, please bear with me. I'm talking about a single pass paid once, yearly, for use on any public transportation in the UK, using that pass to board & ride unlimited amounts having had paid the yearly fee for the public transportation pass for the year. I'm in Stoke, the buses take cash - lots of my cash.

'It's the wrong train oh shit it's a super-off peak - how did that happen? I know damn well I selected off-peak. I fork out full price because advance super-off peak done me wrong...'

'Contactless bank cards' for use on trains/buses - no. I'd like use my bank card to pay one time for my annual public transportation pass for use on any train or bus or trolley in the UK unlimited, for one year, one payment.
These conversations always end the same for me. London has an integrated transport system. The rest of the country does not. I like a lot Tubby has to say on public transport, but it would be good for him to spend some time in Yorkshire or Stoke and see what it's really like!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Keep it coming, don't be afraid.

The problem with quoting late era BR is that, like everything in the Major era, it wasn't given very much to invest. It got very good at running what it had and sweating assets, but you can't compared subsidies across eras with different levels of investment.

I don't know how the figure compare with London Underground, but anecdotally, I recall the trains stopping all the times between stations in the mid 90s, because Major basically gutted investment to pay for the Jubilee Line Extension. If you looked at those old lines, I guess you could make a case that they were run efficiently in terms of subsidies.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:On Twitter hospital after hospital going into crisis...And it won't get better because the home care cuts are now biting. Now I'm wondering what's going to happen if there's a bad flu outbreak to add to the chaos?
Love one another.
Vote.
Vote hard.
Vote current government out.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sarah Champion MP retweeted
Scott Arthur ‏@DrScottThinks 2h2 hours ago
Murphy is setting the news on fire.

The SNP have gone to ground. Labour will dominate the papers again tomorrow.

http://ow.ly/GTlsZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well he's certainly hit the ground running. This article is about another new Murphy proposal for a resilience fund for 'economic storms' which affect Scotland such as the oil price crisis. Not sure how this fire in the belly, I'm nobody's gofer, attitude is going to play out ... but he's going for it. The mansion tax funding 1,000 nurses in Scotland was pretty far fetched - as someone points out BTL here, there is no direct link possible between overall UK taxation and specific health spend in Scotland. The Barnett formula isn't worked out on that basis.

BTL is, as you might expect, not very complimentary to Murphy.
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Sarah Champion MP retweeted
Scott Arthur ‏@DrScottThinks 2h2 hours ago
Murphy is setting the news on fire.

The SNP have gone to ground. Labour will dominate the papers again tomorrow.

http://ow.ly/GTlsZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well he's certainly hit the ground running. This article is about another new Murphy proposal for a resilience fund for 'economic storms' such as the oil price crisis which affect Scotland. Not sure how this fire in the belly, I'm nobody's gofer, attitude is going to play out ... but he's going for it. The mansion tax funding 1,000 nurses in Scotland was pretty far fetched - as someone points out BTL here, there is no direct link possible between overall UK taxation and specific health spend in Scotland. The Barnett formula isn't worked out on that basis.

BTL is, as you might expect, not very complimentary to Murphy.
He does seem to be getting in the papers, for mostly positive reasons.

I would have been very wary of voting for him, but I don't think people that did are all neo-con hard rightists.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Keep it coming, don't be afraid.

The problem with quoting late era BR is that, like everything in the Major era, it wasn't given very much to invest. It got very good at running what it had and sweating assets, but you can't compared subsidies across eras with different levels of investment.

I don't know how the figure compare with London Underground, but anecdotally, I recall the trains stopping all the times between stations in the mid 90s, because Major basically gutted investment to pay for the Jubilee Line Extension. If you looked at those old lines, I guess you could make a case that they were run efficiently in terms of subsidies.
(my bold) Thank you, Tubby Isaacs! The stress caused by the possibility of holding the wrong ticket for the train or not having cash on me for the bus or if I make a mistake how to pay for that?

It's literally less expensive to get the four or five friends into the taxi than it is to get us all on the bus or train how stupid is that!!!

Very stupid. We can sort it out all of us together. Thank you.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Actually as I will show (in part 3) if you strip out Crossrail investment and use 1992/93 as your base year for investment not a great deal different. You are right that 1993/94 investment virtually dried up because of imminent privatisation.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Exclusive: Vince Cable will lose his economy job with the Lib Dems tomorrow
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... -tomorrow/
This is your cue Tubby. Need some sincere, heartfelt commentary from you on this sad occasion.

Editing to add: You might not need to ... I've just seen this BTL, which is pretty unbeatable.
Airey Belvoir • 4 hours ago
Two bald men not even bothering to fight over a comb.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote: These conversations always end the same for me. London has an integrated transport system. The rest of the country does not. I like a lot Tubby has to say on public transport, but it would be good for him to spend some time in Yorkshire or Stoke and see what it's really like!
When I moan about London transport, I'm basically saying it isn't as good as it should be given the advantages it's had. The Ledge is a particular annoyance, blowing money on his lardbuses and scrapping a load of stuff when he first came in just for the sake of looking decisive.

Integrated is the key, and I'd like other places to have more of that too. A point I'd make though is that it's by no means all publicly owned. Serco run the DLR, and routes out of London are obviously privately run like anywhere else, as is eg Croydon Tramlink.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I respected Ken Livingstone a lot for his commitment to public transport. It was noticeable that he didn't make too much of public ownership of operators.

He did though rightly go for the disastrous PPP system, and was proved right. He tried to make something of this at the 2008 election, but got drowned out with "what about Lee Jasper eh?"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Great website (Seat61), TI, I've only read the first page & this stood out for me
The big picture is that Britain has the most commercially aggressive fares in Europe, with the highest fares designed to get maximum revenue from business travel, and some of the lowest fares designed to get more revenue by filling more seats.
It's worse than that. Fouling up on the super-off peak ticket (for example) means the worst possible thing for people who aren't wealthy - that's a lot of us - will pay full fare price to get home. This can & does cost into the hundreds of £'s. These mistakes or misses happen all the time to intelligent, organised & well-prepared people who need public transportation to get there & home. It terrifies me because I don't have that kind of buffer fund to compensate for that. I'm not alone, I think. I just want the one payment. I want to be able to afford it.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Exclusive: Vince Cable will lose his economy job with the Lib Dems tomorrow
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... -tomorrow/
This is your cue Tubby. Need some sincere, heartfelt commentary from you on this sad occasion.

Editing to add: You might not need to ... I've just seen this BTL, which is pretty unbeatable.
Airey Belvoir • 4 hours ago
Two bald men not even bothering to fight over a comb.
I can't beat that.

But I do like that Vince Cable. Probably been demoted because he's too principled for party politics.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 35: WALES - GWYNEDD & POWYS
http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2015/01/0 ... um=twitter
Nothing very revelatory in this - he's not predicting any changes - the Libs are clinging on to their seats - just - due to the power of their personalities.

But he needs to pay a bit more attention to the spelling of Welsh language names ....
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:Great website (Seat61), TI, I've only read the first page & this stood out for me
The big picture is that Britain has the most commercially aggressive fares in Europe, with the highest fares designed to get maximum revenue from business travel, and some of the lowest fares designed to get more revenue by filling more seats.
It's worse than that. Fouling up on the super-off peak ticket (for example) means the worst possible thing for people who aren't wealthy - that's a lot of us - will pay full fare price to get home. This can & does cost into the hundreds of £'s. These mistakes or misses happen all the time to intelligent, organised & well-prepared people who need public transportation to get there & home. It terrifies me because I don't have that kind of buffer fund to compensate for that. I'm not alone, I think. I just want the one payment. I want to be able to afford it.
Yes, it's a good site.

Commercially aggressive is the right phrase. It's not nice at all. But it's the Treasury that's subcontracting it to rail companies.

Worth saying too that there was a lot of that on East Coast too, why I get annoyed when Lucas and others set up a contrast with private companies.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Tue 06 Jan, 2015 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: It does look good.
Does it? Do you trust the New Statesman? Sure, okay, the work here in the link is 'unaligned election site'. What makes this endeavour 'the best election forecasting machine'? I'm not being cheeky, I really want to know.
About May2015
May2015 is the New Statesman’s new, unaligned election site. It will be producing stories, interviews and ideas on the general election, and gathering all the most relevant data – on everything from polls to policy.

What’s going to happen over the next eight months and who’s going to win? We have built an interactive platform that allows you to track the latest polls, look ahead to different scenarios, and make your own predictions.
Good point JA I reckon Harry Lambert is a bit flaky. Maybe we should engage with him though and help him improve his thing ;-)
Thank you, Paul, I'm not casting aspersions on their operation, I'm cautious, I'm wary. I like to keep my eyes open. There it is. I'll carry on now.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rearofthestore wrote:

Actually as I will show (in part 3) if you strip out Crossrail investment and use 1992/93 as your base year for investment not a great deal different. You are right that 1993/94 investment virtually dried up because of imminent privatisation.
Normally they spend money on it before they sell it, whereupon the privateers come in and look efficient.

I know the subsidy did go up after privatization though. Maybe that was just pork for Beardie and all, or perhaps some of that was new investment- they would have been reasonably sure that rail travel had made a comeback by then.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:Great website (Seat61), TI, I've only read the first page & this stood out for me
You're not alone. We can't really afford to travel by train at all now - and Mr Riots has a discount card for his grand old age. I too am worried about getting caught out by ticketing complexities and tricks so don't want to trust to buying a ticket specifying one train and one train alone ... I know that circumstances such as another late train or tube etc might make it impossible for me to guarantee making it. I was horribly shocked when I had to travel up to an emergency dental appointment a couple of years ago ... and was told that the 5am train I was on was peak time ... from Carmarthen ... and it cost me over £225 single fare.

Can really relate to the awful overcrowding. We also have ridiculously short trains for many routes - not just the really remote ones. They put two carriage trains on from Swansea to Milford Haven etc in the rush hour and then ... when they are packed to bursting refuse to move until some people get off due to health and safety. It is a running joke (but rather unfunny) that I have not had a straightforward, on time, train journey up and back from London in the last three years. I dread them.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Worst ever overcrowding I've ever seen was going eastwards from Haverfordwest to Cardiff.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sun Politics @Sun_Politics · 1h 1 hour ago
YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Tories and Labour tied, Lib Dems still in fifth: CON 33%, LAB 33%, LD 7%, UKIP 13%, GRN 8%
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
You're not alone. We can't really afford to travel by train at all now - and Mr Riots has a discount card for his grand old age.
Now then.

This might help.

http://www.twotogether-railcard.co.uk/online/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Get a NEW Two Together Railcard for you and the person you travel with most, and you'll both enjoy 1/3 off rail fares when you get away together.

The Two Together Railcard will save you both 1/3 off Standard and First Class Anytime, Off-Peak and Advance fares across the entire National Rail network - excluding morning peak times.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

I have some sympathy with Tubby's argument saying that privatization is not necessarily the issue but in saying that the whole private good, public bad ethos has damaged the public transport system virtually everywhere outside London so he should be aware of the anger felt by many

I think the main problem was the fragmentation and the lack of coordination across the franchisees as well as the way rolling stock and infrastructure were managed. In essence we are still paying for that botched privatization by major

I think though the companies have expolited the situation to the full to ensure they reap the benefits, probably silently egged on by the Treasury. Labour, as was often the case under Blair, were not courageous enough to do anything and the Tories/Lost Deposits are ideologically favourable to this system.

In the end has privatization gof the railways given many benefits. In my experience no and there is not enough accountability for what happens by the Government.

Public transport systems have to have some sort of oversight but we have seen that thrown out of the window - don't even get me started on the buses

As highlighted earlier those commentators from Londo have to be careful about being too kind about the system. London has an integrate dsystem and all the main line go to one of the trminii there so there are plenty of options. Those of us who have lived elsewhere have a different view and it is not at all positive
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Worst ever overcrowding I've ever seen was going eastwards from Haverfordwest to Cardiff.
I've only once, in fifteen years commuting, been on a train where they've refused to move until some people got off because of overcrowding. It does continue to surprise me (in a fairly passive and mild way, I'm not suggesting it's something at the front of my mind) that trains seem to have no formal limit at all to the number of passengers they can carry - unlike buses which have a limit recorded on the front inside of the bus or taxis who have a specific license to carry up to so many. Trains just jam them on and hope.
I still believe in a town called Hope
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
You're not alone. We can't really afford to travel by train at all now - and Mr Riots has a discount card for his grand old age.
Now then.

This might help.

http://www.twotogether-railcard.co.uk/online/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Get a NEW Two Together Railcard for you and the person you travel with most, and you'll both enjoy 1/3 off rail fares when you get away together.

The Two Together Railcard will save you both 1/3 off Standard and First Class Anytime, Off-Peak and Advance fares across the entire National Rail network - excluding morning peak times.
Thanks Tubby. But we don't usually travel together by train ... one of us has to stay to look after animals. If we go somewhere together we usually drive because of that.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Now then.

This might help.

[/quote

Why have all these different types of railcards catering for select groups. If you are a single person in your 40s what rail card can you get? Can get a couple one, an old age one, a family one and a young persons one - why not a middle-aged person who wants to travel alone? Surely this person pays the subsidies as well

Why not one railcard available to all that gives you a discount?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

howsillyofme1 wrote:I have some sympathy with Tubby's argument saying that privatization is not necessarily the issue but in saying that the whole private good, public bad ethos has damaged the public transport system virtually everywhere outside London so he should be aware of the anger felt by many

I think the main problem was the fragmentation and the lack of coordination across the franchisees as well as the way rolling stock and infrastructure were managed. In essence we are still paying for that botched privatization by major

I think though the companies have expolited the situation to the full to ensure they reap the benefits, probably silently egged on by the Treasury. Labour, as was often the case under Blair, were not courageous enough to do anything and the Tories/Lost Deposits are ideologically favourable to this system.

In the end has privatization gof the railways given many benefits. In my experience no and there is not enough accountability for what happens by the Government.

Public transport systems have to have some sort of oversight but we have seen that thrown out of the window - don't even get me started on the buses

As highlighted earlier those commentators from Londo have to be careful about being too kind about the system. London has an integrate dsystem and all the main line go to one of the trminii there so there are plenty of options. Those of us who have lived elsewhere have a different view and it is not at all positive
That's a very fairminded, balanced post. I apologise for coming across as London centric. It's clearly very silly that we have a populist rightwinger running London with proper powers and Labour councils all over the place who don't have them. And it says something about pitiful public debate that this gets hardly any coverage.

There are some positive signs bus oversight, which I agree are the worst element in public transport policy. Don't know the latest but a few places will be looking at Newcastle.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... lation-bus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tyne and Wear has voted to press ahead with reforms that will mean a bus service outside London being taken back under public control for the first time since privatisation.
This would also get a push from a Labour government.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Robert Peston retweeted
nigel molesworth @reelmolesworth · Jan 5
mi grate frend @peston appear to hav METAMORFOSED into a louche fr. intelektual on #bbcnews he now hav hair like serge GANESBORG