Tuesday 6th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 6th January 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
yahyah wrote:So sad, this dog abandoned outside Ayr train station with a suitcase containing his pillow, food and bowl & toy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/do ... 60333.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd sooner vote Tory than abandon my dogs.
I saw a tweet about that. I assumed it was some joke about Paddington Bear (perhaps disguised as a dog or something).

Very sad.
It is. You have to worry about the owner too I think ... cared enough to pack his little bag for him ... but wasn't able to keep him for whatever reason.

I cheered myself up when I first saw this by telling myself that this at least is one dog - Kai - who will get loads of offers for a new home now.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Margaret Curran MP retweeted
David Clegg ‏@davieclegg 52m52 minutes ago
Interesting trip to Aberdeen today. Clear feeling from industry the Scottish Government are nowhere to be seen on the oil price crisis.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

http://games.usvsth3m.com/jeremy-hunts- ... simulator/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Margaret Curran MP retweeted
David Clegg ‏@davieclegg 52m52 minutes ago
Interesting trip to Aberdeen today. Clear feeling from industry the Scottish Government are nowhere to be seen on the oil price crisis.
As one of those nasty English in London, I quite fancy distancing myself from the oil crisis too.

We've got to look after our own folk down here with our child poverty.

;)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
I'd sooner vote Tory than abandon my dogs.
I saw a tweet about that. I assumed it was some joke about Paddington Bear (perhaps disguised as a dog or something).

Very sad.
It is. You have to worry about the owner too I think ... cared enough to pack his little bag for him ... but wasn't able to keep him for whatever reason.

I cheered myself up when I first saw this by telling myself that this at least is one dog - Kai - who will get loads of offers for a new home now.
Yes, I agree. Hadn't thought about the owner caring enough to do this but possibly being very hard up.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Grant Shapps was told he's part of the "cruellest, nastiest government" as he was given a rough ride on his LBC phone-in. :clap:

http://www.lbc.co.uk/grant-shapps-attac ... tax-102832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot00234.jpg
ScreenShot00234.jpg (126.75 KiB) Viewed 11555 times
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:[
With you on the Coronet; the outside of the building is a monstrosity, but internally it is rather wonderful and, of course, has a lot of history behind it - I mean, of course, the Chaplin connections and it's status as one of the earliest permanent cinemas in London, not the fact that I went to see The Jungle Book there in 1967.

But the Heygate has to go, the design of the estate was always poor and it was allowed to deteriorate to an irretrievably bad condition; same applies to the shopping centre which was, again, flawed from day one (and that period of painting it pink was no help either) - as kids we rarely went there, despite living at the Elephant, usually going down the Walworth Road.

Just my opinion, of course. If I had the money I'd move back to the Elephant, Camberwell or Southwark, in a heartbeat (some lovely places there, especially some of the Peabody flats); but I'd still steer clear of that central area at the moment.
It was the only place in London where I was scared before, but it's OK now. Emerged as a drinking location for me and my pal.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:So sad, this dog abandoned outside Ayr train station with a suitcase containing his pillow, food and bowl & toy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/do ... 60333.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's a big boy. Looks well cared for. I wonder if the owner has fallen on hard times as regards housing or income? He wouldn't have been cheap to look after.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
With you on the Coronet; the outside of the building is a monstrosity, but internally it is rather wonderful and, of course, has a lot of history behind it - I mean, of course, the Chaplin connections and it's status as one of the earliest permanent cinemas in London, not the fact that I went to see The Jungle Book there in 1967.

But the Heygate has to go, the design of the estate was always poor and it was allowed to deteriorate to an irretrievably bad condition; same applies to the shopping centre which was, again, flawed from day one (and that period of painting it pink was no help either) - as kids we rarely went there, despite living at the Elephant, usually going down the Walworth Road.

Just my opinion, of course. If I had the money I'd move back to the Elephant, Camberwell or Southwark, in a heartbeat (some lovely places there, especially some of the Peabody flats); but I'd still steer clear of that central area at the moment.
It was the only place in London where I was scared before, but it's OK now. Emerged as a drinking location for me and my pal.
Never been scared there, a mixture of being brought up in the area and being a big lad just shy of six foot. :D
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

They tickle me no end this lot:

http://www.libdemvoice.org/44080-44080.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently we could be living under a national government by end of the year, maybe WW3 is nigh, or we are at the onset of another ice age, coalition between Tories and Labour ''two deeply interested parties'' WTF are the Lib Dems then?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

And while I'm at it, since when has a bit of bad weather been called a ''bomb?''
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton @georgeeaton · 2h 2 hours ago
The best election forecasting machine in the business from @May2015NS: http://bit.ly/1xOa6rk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It does look good.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 34: LONDON SOUTH
http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2015/01/0 ... um=twitter
He has Croydon Central staying Conservative.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Never been scared there, a mixture of being brought up in the area and being a big lad just shy of six foot. :D
I'm actually 6 foot, and have happily walked round everywhere else from the mid 90s onwards. Probably the underpass which scared me.

One thing that leaped out at me with the new Heygate thing was a very large number of car parking spaces. Sure, there are probably quite a lot already, but I'm not aware of new developments round Whitehapel, Aldgate or Bethnal Green with lots of parking. I'd have hope something could have been done on that score. Even getting some more expensive flats in would have been an improvement because the people would at least use some of the shops.

But hard to know without knowing more.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Actually the area round Loughborough Junction used to scare me in the mid 90s.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I think I'm going to rename something ... in the style of the Tory dossier's 'family homes', a la Shapps / Fox / Green / Stockheath, and taxes on the poor that supposedly sound better if they are called withdrawn subsidies ...

So I'm going to brand this current A & E meltdown as 'The Great Tory NHS Crisis' (in the style of the 'great recession' that was supposedly caused by Labour).
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

norman smith @BBCNormanS · Jan 5
Labour folk say Ed Miliband to hold weekly "People's Question Times" with voters during elex campaign - starting this Thursday
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

The start of 2015 has really been a disaster for the Tories so far hasn't it?

We've had the Road To Weimar, a dossier so dodgy that even their tame media outlets wouldn't play along and finally wall to wall coverage of hospitals in chaos and Tory ministers racing around TV and radio studios trying to limit the political damage.

Probably not the start to the election campaign they were hoping for.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 34: LONDON SOUTH
http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2015/01/0 ... um=twitter
He has Croydon Central staying Conservative.
remembering that story the other week about his constituents telling him not to have so many campaigns...

Gavin Barwell needs to get most of those back if he is to retain this seat. He can’t just count on his reputation as a hard working constituency MP.
Well, there's hard work and the appearance of hard work...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: It was the only place in London where I was scared before, but it's OK now. Emerged as a drinking location for me and my pal.
I'm actually 6 foot, and have happily walked round everywhere else from the mid 90s onwards. Probably the underpass which scared me.

One thing that leaped out at me with the new Heygate thing was a very large number of car parking spaces. Sure, there are probably quite a lot already, but I'm not aware of new developments round Whitehapel, Aldgate or Bethnal Green with lots of parking. I'd have hope something could have been done on that score. Even getting some more expensive flats in would have been an improvement because the people would at least use some of the shops.

But hard to know without knowing more.
Get the underpass thing but, as I said, familiarity may have blinded me to any issues; actually, on reflection, it is more that I tend to be automatically keeping an eye out for trouble, and avoiding it, which is why I never had any problems in Brixton when I lived close by - mind you, there were parts of Coldharbour Lane I did (and would still) avoid after dark.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Happy New Year everyone - had a great New Yeat in the Forest of Dean although almost didn't get back to Geneva thanks to Ryanair/Standsted shenanigans

Just been listening to radio and have found the BBC supine in their coverage of the NHS - they really are trying their best to make it sound not so bad.

Some examples on 5 Live - question to union shop steward 'if pressureso bad why are the workers being able to work through breaks', 'this isn't a question of money rather recruitment which takes time so not the Government's fault'

Also a representative of the bankers association who said the increase in personal credit is ue to people being more optimistic about the economy! WTF - no challenge of course

I think this is going to be the worst campaign in memory
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn · 1h 1 hour ago
Breaking - Osborne told Cabinet ministers to “watch industry like hawks” to ensure they pass on gas price reductions; http://sunpl.us/6016a50O" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tom Newton Dunn retweeted
George Osborne @George_Osborne · 1h 1 hour ago
Oil price was $53 pbl last night - lowest in 5yrs. Vital this is passed on to families at petrol pumps, through utility bills and air fares
Vital as in - because we're in an election campaign - not because you've really given a shit for the past however many years ....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TORY CANDIDATE: CALLING YOURSELF A NORTHERNER ‘CAN LEAD TO SOCIAL APARTHEID’
http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/01/t ... a-coulson/
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

refitman wrote:
minch wrote:A simple question.
If the next election is on the 7th of May and today is the 6th of Jan shouldn't the countdown at the top say 4 months and 1 day?
I'll have a look after work.
Switched it to just days, rather than months/days. It's now correct. I think it was calculating the months weirdly.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Hi, everyone - apologies if this has already been asked & answered - how many A&E, GP offices & walk-in clinics have been closed within the last few years, please?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

refitman wrote:
refitman wrote:
minch wrote:A simple question.
If the next election is on the 7th of May and today is the 6th of Jan shouldn't the countdown at the top say 4 months and 1 day?
I'll have a look after work.
Switched it to just days, rather than months/days. It's now correct. I think it was calculating the months weirdly.
I'm comforted by this change, Refitman, thank you. It's odd how disproportionately comforting it is having the days now; I'm not sure why it reassures me but it does.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Get the underpass thing but, as I said, familiarity may have blinded me to any issues; actually, on reflection, it is more that I tend to be automatically keeping an eye out for trouble, and avoiding it, which is why I never had any problems in Brixton when I lived close by - mind you, there were parts of Coldharbour Lane I did (and would still) avoid after dark.
I imagine the bit round Loughborough Junction Station has been made less scary- stations generally have. Worst ones I know of now is somewhere Enfield way, with industrial stuff all around it. One of the few bits that still looks like it would have done in The Sweeney.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Just came across http://www.monbiot.com/2014/12/08/there ... ternative/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some decent ideas, however I'm slightly concerned by the 'If it's not changed perfectly then it's bad as not changing it at all' approach to party funding. Am I touchy or is this more and more creeping into left wing commentators?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
norman smith @BBCNormanS · Jan 5
Labour folk say Ed Miliband to hold weekly "People's Question Times" with voters during elex campaign - starting this Thursday
I've written this before - Ed Miliband keeps to the one purpose, he's single-minded in that he knows what his responsibilities are, what his duty is, he refrains from hasty word or action (& mistakenly is likened to a bovine stuck in a bog for his competent caution), won't make promises he can't reasonably cover, he's responsible, compassionate, he listens more than he talks & he'll be a right intransigent bastard in the eyes & minds of political or business interests trying to throw him off. I reckon Ed Miliband works for a living.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Good night, my friend.
Peace.
xx
JA
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

StephenDolan wrote:Just came across http://www.monbiot.com/2014/12/08/there ... ternative/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some decent ideas, however I'm slightly concerned by the 'If it's not changed perfectly then it's bad as not changing it at all' approach to party funding. Am I touchy or is this more and more creeping into left wing commentators?
Don't know if it's becoming more prevalent, but I don't like that thinking much. On the rail policy for instance, there's good stuff about building up Network Rail (providing Dugher doesn't arse it up). Sure people are disappointed there isn't nationalization of franchises, but it does move towards a BR-type structure, even if the state bidder doesn't win a single contract. So it doesn't deserve to be written of as free market lunacy.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn · 1h 1 hour ago
Breaking - Osborne told Cabinet ministers to “watch industry like hawks” to ensure they pass on gas price reductions; http://sunpl.us/6016a50O" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tom Newton Dunn retweeted
George Osborne @George_Osborne · 1h 1 hour ago
Oil price was $53 pbl last night - lowest in 5yrs. Vital this is passed on to families at petrol pumps, through utility bills and air fares
Vital as in - because we're in an election campaign - not because you've really given a shit for the past however many years ....
Mr Ohso cusses when he sees what the petrol stations are still charging, and the variations between companies, and not a peep from any of the utility companies. They must be raking it in because the price has been falling for ages.

If it comes to lining their pockets or helping the Conservatives with their campaign, I'll opt for lining their pockets.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TORY CANDIDATE: CALLING YOURSELF A NORTHERNER ‘CAN LEAD TO SOCIAL APARTHEID’
http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/01/t ... a-coulson/
That'll go down well in Durham
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

I hope we will be spared Andrew Neil's election song this year. I can't believe this was ten years ago, I can remember watching it as it went out, thinking what a tosser he was.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot00238.jpg
ScreenShot00238.jpg (150.82 KiB) Viewed 11415 times
Last edited by Toby Latimer on Tue 06 Jan, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Just came across http://www.monbiot.com/2014/12/08/there ... ternative/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No, you've not touchy. I've respect for many left wing commentators who're apparently waiting for some resurgence of the Knights Templar leading us into Nirvana with halos & purity around they head & heart. We've got as good as it gets & we work on making things better.

Forgive me, this is a catty remark I'm going to make, but I wonder how many of these left wing people wanting it all, wanting it best, right now, are that way because they can afford to do so & it won't be them, for the most part, suffering the consequences of idealistic choices made fragmenting any consensus we do have together.

I'll never ask someone to vote against their conscience. I must constantly remind myself that cultivating my own humility - genuine humility, not subservience or servility, makes my life, the work I do, part of my message to others. I'm largely satisfied with the current Labour party & will work with others seeking cooperation regardless of party affiliation. However, we'll all get nowhere, in my opinion, by dividing our voices when the purpose requires all of our help together. I'll not ask anyone to vote against their conscience. Each of us is just as important as another. It's actually an exciting thing - voting. One ballot, one person, one vote. Please disagree & show me where I may be in error. I promise to listen without shutting down or castigating anyone for their political party affiliation. I may castigate their political party's policies, leadership, words & actions if they're offensive, inaccurate or destructive. Everyone must be civil with each other; we can disagree without abusing anyone.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Well, there's hard work and the appearance of hard work...
I wonder if he knows Barwell personally. He's trying to be objective but not so easy if you know the person.

I'd happily lose Tom Brake to the Tories.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Crossbencher Lord Pannick on good form.
Lord Pannick:
My Lords, I am very grateful to noble Lords who have contributed to this entertaining debate. I remain concerned about the width of Clause 3 but I am not going to divide the House. To use the Minister’s analogy, there is no point in crying over spilt yoghurt.

Mr Grayling, the Lord Chancellor, has told us—and the noble Lord, Lord Hunt of Wirral, has confirmed from his Antarctic experience traversing crevasses—that men and women up and down the land are standing ready to volunteer for social action. They are preparing themselves for acts of heroism, waiting only to receive the message that Parliament has approved this Bill to remove the concerns that they otherwise have about litigation. Then off to the youth clubs and old-age homes they will go to volunteer and into the lakes they will dive to rescue those in danger, and in those circumstances it would be irresponsible of me to delay the Bill any longer.

The noble Lord, Lord Beecham, was less than complimentary about the Bill, but surely, so long as negligence cases are brought in this land, it will stand as a monument to the jurisprudential and policy achievements of Lord Chancellor Grayling. It is a fitting testament to the Lord Chancellor:

“Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!”.

This always was and it remains the most ridiculous piece of legislation approved by Parliament in a very long time. However, I pay genuine tribute—I emphasise “genuine tribute”—to the Minister, who has applied his formidable skills of reason and eloquence, and has done so with consummate courtesy, to a text that would barely muster a pass mark in GCSE legal studies, if there is such a thing.

When the noble Lord was appointed to his position on the Front Bench, he would no doubt have looked forward to debating important issues of law and justice, and I doubt that he expected that he would be the straight man in Mr Grayling’s comedy routine, requiring courts to consider whether a defendant has acted heroically. Well, the Minister has heroically dived into the lake created by Mr Grayling’s conference speech. He has rescued this pitiful creature of a Bill—and it is a pitiful creature—and has emerged from the lake with his hair still dry and his suit entirely uncrumpled, he is not even out of breath and he has done it all with a straight face. If I may say so, that is deeply impressive, which is more than can be said for this Bill. I beg leave to withdraw the amendment.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Just been listening to radio and have found the BBC supine in their coverage of the NHS - they really are trying their best to make it sound not so bad.

Some examples on 5 Live - question to union shop steward 'if pressureso bad why are the workers being able to work through breaks', 'this isn't a question of money rather recruitment which takes time so not the Government's fault'
Ah yes there were some fine examples on 5 Live today. I particularly enjoyed the presenter who when talking about A&Es in other parts of the UK shoehorned in a dig at Labour by saying (I paraphrase) "Whenever this subject comes up we get lots of texts asking us to point out that the NHS in Wales is run by Labour."

I'm sure they do. What he didn't say were that they all came from one street in Central London.

*Edited to correct the language from total gibberish.
Last edited by Spacedone on Tue 06 Jan, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Even if Wales were the disaster area made out to be, Labour in England has already run the NHS differently to the Welsh one.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Even if Wales were the disaster area made out to be, Labour in England has already run the NHS differently to the Welsh one.
Point is with Wales that the Coalition have cut the whole Welsh budget by 10% in real terms over the 5 years. Very hard not to pass this on to the NHS.

The Tories reply and say well in England they chose not to cut the NHS. But that's unfair, because they were able to cut nationwide budgets for Justice, Defence and the like instead, which Wales has no control of.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Don't know if it's becoming more prevalent, but I don't like that thinking much. On the rail policy for instance, there's good stuff about building up Network Rail (providing Dugher doesn't arse it up). Sure people are disappointed there isn't nationalization of franchises, but it does move towards a BR-type structure, even if the state bidder doesn't win a single contract. So it doesn't deserve to be written of as free market lunacy.
Hi Tubby
Have you got a link for info about building up Network Rail?
Haven't forgotten about my promise to detail my unhappiness about rail privatisation. I am working on it and already too long but I will post somewhere in the next few days.
Cheers.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

All not well over on LDV - liked this one

"stuart moran 6th Jan '15 - 8:51pm
I see that Joe Otten (true to form) has retweeted a piece about how Labour should not vote against cuts they will not reverse

Firstly, it parrots exactly the line in that joke document presented by the new band ‘The Incompetents’ yesterday and I fail to see why he, and others, always feel so comfortable taking the Tory whip on these things

Secondly, the premise is false. Labour may be opposed to cuts but they may not necessarily be in a position to reverse them immediately when in Government. Perhaps they will be in coalition, perhaps the finances are even worse than Osborne makes out and perhaps they may have other priorities. This does not mean they should not vote against – what should they do vote for, or abstain (the Simon Hughes Approach as it can now be named)

I know the LD are experienced at voting for things they actually oppose, sometimes even doing opposite things on the same bill depending if Commons or Lords, but it doesn’t mean everyone has to do it

I believe this person was a LD candidate in the European elections and he didn’t exactly inspire there – pretty much the same as we should expect in Sheffield Central where Labour are 25/1 on despite a wafer thin majority. Perhaps if it was a Liberal Democrat rather than a Tory apologist you may have had a chance"

I depise that Otten character - weasly individual who pretends not to be a Tory but can be guaranteed to parrot their untruths
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Andy Burnham MP, Labour’s Shadow Health Secretary, said:
“These figures confirm the serious deterioration in the NHS under this Government but reveal, more worryingly, a dangerous slump in A&E performance in recent weeks.

“We have repeatedly warned David Cameron to get a grip on the growing crisis in A&E and ambulances services. He has failed to do so and has now left patients all over England exposed to unacceptable levels of risk.

“It beggars belief that, only yesterday, on the day when hospitals were declaring major incidents, Jeremy Hunt was asking officials to email hospitals asking for ideas in four bullet-points on how to solve the winter crisis. There could be no clearer illustration of the Government’s failure to plan and get ahead of the very serious situation in which the NHS now finds itself. It smacks of panic when what is needed is planning and leadership.
http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1073088 ... -the-worst
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Another rant about UK trains

Travelled 1 hour 40 mins from home town to Geneva Airport 1st class - cost CHF65 return (approx £45). Had to use a half price card which costs around CHF 150 (£100) but this gives a years half price travel on all trains no matter what time and no need to book in advance. It is also available to non-residents

Travelled by train from Temple Meads to Wolverhampton. Tried to book in advance. No advance fares on the train we had to get (7 days before travel). No 'off-peak' fares available - only anytime. Had to buy the anytime single which cost £56 each. Train was late - and also half empty so they could not say that the rules of supply and demand were relevant.

I know Tubby keeps trying to defend the UK rail service but I have nothing but bad experiences over 20 years

I don't drive and used to take the train all the time when in the UK - it is appalling service. I spoke to a Chinese visitor who had to pay £95 from Edinburgh to Manchester because he did not understand all the options available to him on the machine, and there was no explanation of what off-peak is and what times it covered
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rearofthestore wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Hi Tubby
Have you got a link for info about building up Network Rail?
Haven't forgotten about my promise to detail my unhappiness about rail privatisation. I am working on it and already too long but I will post somewhere in the next few days.
Cheers.
I saw this.

Pretty cautious stuff, but looks like the rolling stock's going into Network Rail. I assume the planning stuff referred to loosely is in the DfT too. More of that in Network Rail is sensible.

Don't know if the "give passengers a voice" stuff will be meaningful, or how far it's useful to push that anyway. There've been some passenger inspired muck ups- London Reconnections covered something about through trains in Blackfriars that mucks up things overall.

There's a coherent public-interest railway, with private train companies there. I think consolidating this will be very positive. And the logic then points, when done, bringing all the trains in-house too.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

howsillyofme1 wrote:All not well over on LDV - liked this one

"stuart moran 6th Jan '15 - 8:51pm
I see that Joe Otten (true to form) has retweeted a piece about how Labour should not vote against cuts they will not reverse

Firstly, it parrots exactly the line in that joke document presented by the new band ‘The Incompetents’ yesterday and I fail to see why he, and others, always feel so comfortable taking the Tory whip on these things

Secondly, the premise is false. Labour may be opposed to cuts but they may not necessarily be in a position to reverse them immediately when in Government. Perhaps they will be in coalition, perhaps the finances are even worse than Osborne makes out and perhaps they may have other priorities. This does not mean they should not vote against – what should they do vote for, or abstain (the Simon Hughes Approach as it can now be named)

I know the LD are experienced at voting for things they actually oppose, sometimes even doing opposite things on the same bill depending if Commons or Lords, but it doesn’t mean everyone has to do it

I believe this person was a LD candidate in the European elections and he didn’t exactly inspire there – pretty much the same as we should expect in Sheffield Central where Labour are 25/1 on despite a wafer thin majority. Perhaps if it was a Liberal Democrat rather than a Tory apologist you may have had a chance"

I depise that Otten character - weasly individual who pretends not to be a Tory but can be guaranteed to parrot their untruths
Joe Otten is so egregiously wrong; I've swallowed my gum. Has he become a Labour party member or leader & shares his views from this perspective? No, he's a LibDem currently in government with Tories. How Labour will or won't vote isn't Otten's job to sort out; Labour isn't in government working for the Tory-LibDem government Otten is part of. Otten's comment disturbs me deeply - given the context he's making proclamations dictating to Labour - Otten's thought processing is disturbing.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Another rant about UK trains

Travelled 1 hour 40 mins from home town to Geneva Airport 1st class - cost CHF65 return (approx £45). Had to use a half price card which costs around CHF 150 (£100) but this gives a years half price travel on all trains no matter what time and no need to book in advance. It is also available to non-residents

Travelled by train from Temple Meads to Wolverhampton. Tried to book in advance. No advance fares on the train we had to get (7 days before travel). No 'off-peak' fares available - only anytime. Had to buy the anytime single which cost £56 each. Train was late - and also half empty so they could not say that the rules of supply and demand were relevant.

I know Tubby keeps trying to defend the UK rail service but I have nothing but bad experiences over 20 years

I don't drive and used to take the train all the time when in the UK - it is appalling service. I spoke to a Chinese visitor who had to pay £95 from Edinburgh to Manchester because he did not understand all the options available to him on the machine, and there was no explanation of what off-peak is and what times it covered
My train service to London is bloody wonderful, as good as anything in the world. Shame it costs more than the planet.

If you want abysmal first world, try the USA some time.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
George Eaton @georgeeaton · 2h 2 hours ago
The best election forecasting machine in the business from @May2015NS: http://bit.ly/1xOa6rk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It does look good.
Does it? Do you trust the New Statesman? Sure, okay, the work here in the link is 'unaligned election site'. What makes this endeavour 'the best election forecasting machine'? I'm not being cheeky, I really want to know.
About May2015
May2015 is the New Statesman’s new, unaligned election site. It will be producing stories, interviews and ideas on the general election, and gathering all the most relevant data – on everything from polls to policy.

What’s going to happen over the next eight months and who’s going to win? We have built an interactive platform that allows you to track the latest polls, look ahead to different scenarios, and make your own predictions.