Tuesday 2nd April 2024

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 2nd April 2024

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 2nd April 2024

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morefternoon to anyone who is about.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Lazing by the stove while a gale blows outside . It's also too wet .The cat agrees .

Another saddo non-negotiable Zionist --

The USUK actions on continuing to supply munitions don't sit well with this --

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

We were discussing birthdays in the long weekend thread, its my sisters today and she is 56.

(almost exactly 20 years after our mum, and roughly 18 months younger than me)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

We seem to have a bit of a birthday bonanza going on. To be honest being born on April fools day does help somewhat when viewing life as one big cosmic joke.

An outlook shared by Sunak apparently given the bizarre jollity he expressed today.

Can anyone remember when Gordon Brown became Prime Minister and some geniuses in Labour's PR dept told him to start smiling?

God that was gruesome.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Emmerdale's gone woke!
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Tue 02 Apr, 2024 5:49 pm We were discussing birthdays in the long weekend thread, its my sisters today and she is 56.

(almost exactly 20 years after our mum, and roughly 18 months younger than me)
HB to your sister and missed ones to the others -- , Sky and your young Mum AK !
I'm with notnow, pushing 80, in 3years for me.
I recently had a nice long call with my brother in Auckland who is soon 75 -- we shared our amazement that we've both survived so long after so much hard living , so Sky still has a chance :-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Tue 02 Apr, 2024 7:16 pm We seem to have a bit of a birthday bonanza going on. To be honest being born on April fools day does help somewhat when viewing life as one big cosmic joke.

An outlook shared by Sunak apparently given the bizarre jollity he expressed today.

Can anyone remember when Gordon Brown became Prime Minister and some geniuses in Labour's PR dept told him to start smiling?

God that was gruesome.
Evening Sky i thought yours was the 31st ?

Teacher daughter shares with Refit's Dad, 45 yesterday !

I had a splendid present for her thirtieth birthday --A stroke which left me speechless and half-paralysed in Avranches hospital . Her Easter hols had just begun and she spent all of it working on my case . She was the only one who understood my garbled speech . Being a LHS blocage in the brain that did for speech and paralysed the body's RHS . Only much later I twigged that I could have been understood by singing , which uses different brain pathways.

So I survived 15 years which ain't bad at all . I also met a hell of a lot of inspiring worse-off people in the Granville rehab hospital on the sea front . Between the Wars it was the Hôtel Normandie and the ground floor was Gestapo HQ in the Occupation . From there there is a narrow street running up to the fortified old town .

That street is called "La Rue des Juifs" and I still haven't got around to asking what happened t ito in those years .

I possibly have a few years to find out ?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Tue 02 Apr, 2024 7:33 pm Emmerdale's gone woke!
I don't watch it myself, but my mate's ex was a scriptwriter and story editor on Emmerdale and if she's anything to go by 'woke' is a term insufficiently weighty to describe how left wing the writing staff are. I mean she's a bit too 'right on' even for me. I got a stern telling off recently for throwing out old shoes and not donating them to a local refugee charity.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

frog222 wrote: Tue 02 Apr, 2024 8:41 pm Evening Sky i thought yours was the 31st ?

Teacher daughter shares with Refit's Dad, 45 yesterday !

I had a splendid present for her thirtieth birthday --A stroke which left me speechless and half-paralysed in Avranches hospital . Her Easter hols had just begun and she spent all of it working on my case . She was the only one who understood my garbled speech . Being a LHS blocage in the brain that did for speech and paralysed the body's RHS . Only much later I twigged that I could have been understood by singing , which uses different brain pathways.

So I survived 15 years which ain't bad at all . I also met a hell of a lot of inspiring worse-off people in the Granville rehab hospital on the sea front . Between the Wars it was the Hôtel Normandie and the ground floor was Gestapo HQ in the Occupation . From there there is a narrow street running up to the fortified old town .

That street is called "La Rue des Juifs" and I still haven't got around to asking what happened t ito in those years .

I possibly have a few years to find out?
Nope, April 1st, and I was born in the morning so I'm a proper fool.

I'm sorry to hear you went through all that Froggy, but due to a touch of Francophilia on my part all that Normandy name dropping makes the whole thing sound oddly romantic.

I just raised a glass of cheap Cotes du Rhone to your good health and longevity, I hope it has the desired effect.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

That's all very well, but more importantly how do you pronounce scone? Because there's only one proper way.

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The correct answer.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I found a scone map from Cambridge University (the redder the area the more correctly it's pronounced).

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/cam ... h-dialects

There's a few other interesting bits and bobs in there. I've certainly never heard the word 'backend' used for 'Autumn' but it was apparently common in the North of England in the 50's, but I absolutely do still call a splinter a spelk. Also the short vowel 'a' in path, bath, last, etc is relentlessly marching Southward. Give it another 20 years and there'll be very few people left who sound like Margot from the Good Life.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

gilsey wrote: Tue 02 Apr, 2024 10:43 pm The correct answer.
Indeed. However I was quite surprised by the Cambridge scone map placing the epicentre of saying scone wrong in the South and East of Yorkshire along with Derbyshire.

I'd expect a expect a 'scown' in Pateley Bridge or Richmond rather than Sheffield or Hull.

[Edited to say...]

Ah I see the magnificent scone map appeared in the replies to the tweet and we have confirmation that it's 'scown' in Stoke which accords with the map. I always assumed it was a North/South thing but now we have this weird semi-Northern splodge of scone wrongness complicating matters.
Last edited by Sky'sGoneOut on Tue 02 Apr, 2024 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Tue 02 Apr, 2024 10:44 pm
There's a few other interesting bits and bobs in there. I've certainly never heard the word 'backend' used for 'Autumn'
I recall chilly weather in August being called 'backend-ish', hadn't noticed it had fallen out of use until you mentioned it.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

gilsey wrote: Tue 02 Apr, 2024 11:23 pm I recall chilly weather in August being called 'backend-ish', hadn't noticed it had fallen out of use until you mentioned it.
It's been completely eradicated according to the same bit of research that gave us the scone map. I can't remember ever hearing it so it must have already been on its way out in the 70's. Mind you I did grow up somewhere that was a bit atypical as far as the lingo was concerned as you probably know. A bizarre mix of old gypsy, lowland Scots and Northumbrian with a dash of Geordie for good measure. It's still impenetrable to visitors today. My brother's other half (North Wales) spends half her time just nodding and smiling when she visits hoping for the best.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »