Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th April 2024

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th April 2024

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th April 2024

Post by frog222 »

Morning refit
Some light entertainment earlier with either a deluded , or more likely a RU troll ,at the Times

Grief, anger and suspicion in Ukrainian village where collaborators killed 59
Two brothers from Hroza betrayed their own by giving Russian forces information which led to the biggest single loss of civilian life since the war began
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/insi ... -zh6zsmtq2

Me --
Comrade is busy today ! " He has two large yachts purchased in associates names."

This and those "Zelenskiya $million shopping trips" have been comprehensively demonstrated to be RU disinformation, as a quick google will show ! One broker involved said the one at £48.9 million was still for sale last November ...
Social media is so wonderful that these get several million views AND reposts ...

Not raining and the grass is fairly dry, so off to mow .
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

She has a point
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" 'Comrade' has posted on Canada being threatened by the US for buying Mig21's in the Sixties !

it was an APRIL FOOL on the WARTHUNDER.COM website

Of course RU is using AI for their b0ts but it looks as tho they could sharpen up :-) "

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

refitman wrote: Sat 06 Apr, 2024 12:44 pm She has a point
wragg has been near the top of news bulletins since at least Friday morning, let's not exaggerate.

And was there really that much "outrage" about Abbott's mojito? I know that Paul Staines tried to build it into a massive story, but (for once) he failed.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Can't say I'm avidly following the WWragg saga , but this just popped up on his digging himself in deeper ...

Off to get petrol for mowers, much werk ahead !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Never mind Diane Abbott, its Angela Rayner who some on the right like to use as a distraction tactic just now.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I see Hodges has had his arse handed to him again.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its almost as if he learned nothing from beergate.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Froggie crawled out from under his mower to find bizness as usual on the Xittersphere :-)

Went back to sharpen the bluntest blade EVER, now for some tea before going to mow .

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

"“The draft law on the media stipulates an increase in the share of the state language in television and radio from 50% to 70%,” the culture minister, Aida Balayeva, told reporters in the capital, Astana."

Invasion fallout ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... er-russian
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Bah, using a grinder is cheating, I just use the bottom of an old mug to sharpen my kitchen knives (ceramics being harder than steel). Although admittedly with blades that size using my technique would probably take about a week.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Extremely pleased with myself, I repaired the rotoscythe in the background of the photo and sharpened the blade on the 15HP, and both performed very well !

Was awake extremely early today, found 11 articles in the Times, and surprisingly 12 in the G .

Just looked at the last one I selected
" Or consider the environment. In 2008, the British economist Lord Stern of Brentford (author of the Stern Review on the economics of climate change) estimated that reducing CO₂ emissions by 80 per cent would cost 2 per cent of GDP. But in 2020, the UK’s climate change committee found that the cost of eliminating emissions completely was now only 0.5 per cent of GDP per year.

This collapse in cost is the result of two decades of interventions — taxes, subsidies, regulations, social norms — that created strong incentives for people to develop “clean” rather than “dirty” technologies. The revolution in solar power, driven by a 200-fold drop in price, is perhaps the clearest example.

There is no law that says growth-promoting technologies must also harm the other things we care about. On the contrary, by changing the incentives that people face, we can reshape the nature of the technologies that get developed and the kind of economy we create. Growth may be one of our most important ideas, then, but it needn’t be one of our most dangerous."
Growth: A Reckoning, by Daniel Susskind, is published by Allen Lane on April 16

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-e ... -kstb5jzs2

Hmm, so no need for redistribution of incomes and wealth then ...........

as the graphs on both are still going seriously BAD ?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Sun 07 Apr, 2024 10:03 pm Bah, using a grinder is cheating, I just use the bottom of an old mug to sharpen my kitchen knives (ceramics being harder than steel). Although admittedly with blades that size using my technique would probably take about a week.
Evening Sky, a week's optimistic i think, I took off a LOT of metal !

A very long day, went to sleep in the chair after a late snack and didn't even have a little of the reliable Moroccan Sidi Brahim red .

Will sleep well I reckon . Zzzzz !
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Dune: Part Two

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15239678/

Same problems as the first one, the pacing is all over the place, the characters are bland, and the script is atrocious. It looks and sounds nice but that's about it. Vapid, boring, unimaginative garbage. After 2 films and over 5 hours it's finally reached the point David Lynch reached in less than half that time. Yeah sure he took a few liberties with the books, but so he should have, it's not like they were any good. He took a turgid, derivative tale and gave it some style and craziness. None of that here though, oh no, it's 'epic' film making by the book. If it were a paint it by numbers book and all you had were pastel crayons. Honestly, how can you spend over twice as long to tell a story and still end up facing the exact same pacing issues Lynch faced? And why did I not care about a single character? And why do they all talk like they're in some am-dram production of a shit Walter Scott novel? And why would the Emperor of the known universe only have an army of a few hundred soldiers who could easily be wiped out in seconds by 21'st century technology, never mind a few giant worms? And did I mention the blandness? As if the beige of Arrakis' sands had permeated the entire godawful production and rendered it utterly fucking boring.

2/10.

Bring back Sting in his fancy underpants.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It is nice to have taken four points off Liverpool this season, given how crap United are.

If it turns out to mean them not getting number 20, even better.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

frog222 wrote: Sun 07 Apr, 2024 10:25 pm Evening Sky, a week's optimistic i think, I took off a LOT of metal !

A very long day, went to sleep in the chair after a late snack and didn't even have a little of the reliable Moroccan Sidi Brahim red .

Will sleep well I reckon . Zzzzz !
Talking of metal grinding, have you ever seen Forged in Fire?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forged_in_Fire

It's basically Trump supporters making weapons. I was watching it one time and wondered why a contestant was wearing an incongruously natty scarf given that it clashed with the rest of his attire and it turned out it was to hide his Nazi tattoos. No shit, he had SS tattoos on his neck and they let him on anyway.

They never apologised for that and during a Covid lockdown the host came out as a Trump loving anti-vaxxer and released videos attacking previous contestants for taking the vaccine and being insufficiently loyal to Trump (who let's not forget admitted himself he was vaccinated).

Anyway they fired him and the last person to win that I saw was an awesome Jewish lady which must have really boiled the piss of a lot of their viewers.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Sun 07 Apr, 2024 11:07 pm It is nice to have taken four points off Liverpool this season, given how crap United are.

If it turns out to mean them not getting number 20, even better.
Let's not forget putting them out of the FA cup.

Ten Hag has to go though. He's entirely incapable of learning from experience, seems to have no ability to set the team up in any discernable formation, and (and this is the most damning criticism) can't read a football match.

Every single time if we're ahead with about 10 minutes to go he'll go defensive, take off a forward, and try to shore up our non-existent midfield. Mostly by taking off Garnacho, thus removing the threat to the opposition defence of him running in behind them, so they can push up with more confidence and everything goes to shit.

He's done it at least 10 times this season and learned nothing.

I pity anyone trying to herd the fat cat players at United but is some tactical competence and basic positional instruction beyond him?

Even Gary Neville was laughing at them this afternoon.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Enjoy a very small hound of the Baskervilles via Germany and Ozzy Osbourne.