Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th January 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 1h1 hour ago
Classy. Take on unpaid interns, then charge them £300 a pop for a reference! http://specc.ie/1tWbze2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unpaid interns charged £300 for a job reference by thinktank
Civitatis International, run by an ex-aide to a Lib Dem peer, condemned over fees for unpaid trainees

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... are_btn_tw
I seem to remember Cleggy making a big thing about how awfully unfair internships were ... he kept coming back to it on the Leaders Live debate ... as if it was almost the only thing he could think of that was really relevant to young people (don't mention tuition fees - burp - and quick let's talk about these terrible internships again).
Working on the wild side.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

'A sharp rise in the number of procedures hospitals are postponing has prompted the leader of Britain’s surgeons to warn that patients affected will suffer “considerable distress”.

Unprecedented demand has led to a third more elective (planned) operations being cancelled in England this winter than last year, latest figures show. A total of 12,345 were called off at short notice between 3 November and 4 January, a rise of 32% on the 9,320 seen in the same period in the winter of 2013-14. '

Doctors warn of patient misery as A&E crisis hits planned surgery

http://gu.com/p/44nvp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Tebbitt could have handled debates, say what you like about him.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

ephemerid wrote:
They can apologise for Iraq, they can admit mistakes on immigration, they can adjust and change their stance on all manner of issues if it is politically expedient to do so.
But they will not do anything about this, because it suits them to be seen to be tough on benefits and ESA is just part of that approach and they know it's popular with voters.

Much as I like Ed Miliband, and much as I am pro-Labour in nearly every other aspect of policy, I do not agree with them on this.
Whether it's Tweets, emails, submissions to consultations or policy initiatives, those of us who contact Labour with ideas or whatever are ignored - it's not just me this has happened to. They will NOT do anything about ESA and I think this will continue if they win office.
Whilst labour take this position - a large chunk of the disabled won't vote for them - including myself. If those of you who do communicate with Labour could get this point across to them it may help. I think we're going to see a lot more disabled voting at the GE - and parties that stand up for the disabled instead of buying into (or appearing to buy into) the scrounger rhetoric will be able to capitalise on that policy. Labour HAVE to challenge the neo-liberal narrative with a new narrative (or an old one - the one that got the social contract and NHS in the first place)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Tebbitt could have handled debates, say what you like about him.
Well he certainly wouldn't ever have run 'frit' ... he'd have debated like that furious half eaten pepperami and damn the consequences.

When you get this sort of stuff being openly written about ... I can't see why anyone, anywhere can consider Cameron prime ministerial.
While Cameron has not ruled out holding one or more television debates, Whitehall sources say that in private he makes clear his determination to avoid them – even if he is then accused of running scared and being “chicken”.
Cameron’s strategists – including the head of the party’s election campaign, Lynton Crosby – are known to be advising him against debating with Miliband, Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg and Farage. They believe that Miliband, whose public standing is lower than Cameron’s, can only gain from appearing, and that being on stage alongside the prime minister would give Farage greater gravitas.

Former Tory deputy chairman Lord Ashcroft, who is a major party donor, is also understood to be strongly opposed to Cameron taking part in televised debates. Ashcroft was furious with Cameron agreeing to such debates in 2010 – a decision that he believed allowed Clegg to boost his vote and thus deprived the Tories of an overall majority.
There should be no question whether he would take part or not ... if he was really prime ministerial and assured he would be taking the lead on this.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: At current oil prices nobody is going to start any oil projects.
Yet globally resources in general are being extracted at breakneck pace. Prices are an immediate deterrent and have slowed things down in terms of oil. Once the trade agreements are in place anything could happen, and the catch all of this bill advantages and is a preparation for the agreements. Countries where this process is more advanced are rueing the lack of foresight. Monbiots emphasis is oil, but he's also looking at a wider picture.
If the problem is the TTIP in the way Monbiot says, then I don't see how national law is relevant.

Clearly the infrastructure bill is intended to make it easier to frack. But oblige people to?

Why are you hung up on fracking. The first half of the article is not about oil at all.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

That "Red Lenin" UKIPper type on the Guardian again.

Tried to explain to him that the Nicholson Challenge wasn't a commitment to make £20bn of cuts, but probably wasting my time.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

seeingclearly wrote:
Why are you hung up on fracking. The first half of the article is not about oil at all.
I thought that's what he had in mind because North Sea Oil seems to be declining. It talks a lot about infrastructure for oil production. Isn't that already there in the North Sea, except it's not work pulling out at the moment?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Hmm...

David Cameron’s flagship Cancer Drugs Fund ‘is a waste of NHS cash’

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... id-cameron
A furious political row is set to erupt this week over a key part of David Cameron’s health service strategy. The Cancer Drugs Fund, which was set up at the prime minister’s behest to bring last-chance drugs to dying patients, is expected to have its soaring costs severely trimmed by an NHS England review. The move will draw attention to intense criticisms of what was one of the prime minister’s flagship health plans. Some doctors claim the fund is “an unethical political fix”.
Wasn't it one of Cameron's jibes at NHS Wales that they hadn't got a cancer drugs fund?

I'm pretty sure it was at a PMQs a few weeks ago - I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can find it.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

thatchersorphan wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
They can apologise for Iraq, they can admit mistakes on immigration, they can adjust and change their stance on all manner of issues if it is politically expedient to do so.
But they will not do anything about this, because it suits them to be seen to be tough on benefits and ESA is just part of that approach and they know it's popular with voters.

Much as I like Ed Miliband, and much as I am pro-Labour in nearly every other aspect of policy, I do not agree with them on this.
Whether it's Tweets, emails, submissions to consultations or policy initiatives, those of us who contact Labour with ideas or whatever are ignored - it's not just me this has happened to. They will NOT do anything about ESA and I think this will continue if they win office.
Whilst labour take this position - a large chunk of the disabled won't vote for them - including myself. If those of you who do communicate with Labour could get this point across to them it may help. I think we're going to see a lot more disabled voting at the GE - and parties that stand up for the disabled instead of buying into (or appearing to buy into) the scrounger rhetoric will be able to capitalise on that policy. Labour HAVE to challenge the neo-liberal narrative with a new narrative (or an old one - the one that got the social contract and NHS in the first place)
I agree with most of what you say, TO, but will be voting Labour. Mostly because I believe that no matter what they say the other parties won't be any better at stopping this stuff, they'll get co-opted later. So efforts need to be aimed at all parties, even the ones that seem to already be onside. It's clear its a dirty war, but imho the majority of people when asked in the right way, having not been first primed to favour some kind of negative view of their fellow citizens, really do not want to punish poor sick workless, homeless, or disabled people. We are not an unkind or vengeful nation, but we are easily led. Convincing politicians individually and in a cross party way of the longterm unwisdon of their current support for it all is one possible way forward. Again, as I'm witnessing in my own family, and will no doubt take a considerable hit for, the human cost is just too high. The evidence of this as a longterm, and in terms of government, very costly outcome of just a short period of WR impact is fast emerging. It is cheaper for government when we are happy and content than miserable and angry. At the top tories are of course oblivious to appeals to any better nature, but across the board I believe there is some shame for what we have become, and there's hope in that.

Welcome back, btw. You were not forgotten.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

seeingclearly wrote:
thatchersorphan wrote:
ephemerid wrote:

I agree with most of what you say, TO, but will be voting Labour. Mostly because I believe that no matter what they say the other parties won't be any better at stopping this stuff, they'll get co-opted later. So efforts need to be aimed at all parties, even the ones that seem to already be onside. It's clear its a dirty war, but imho the majority of people when asked in the right way, having not been first primed to favour some kind of negative view of their fellow citizens, really do not want to punish poor sick workless, homeless, or disabled people. We are not an unkind or vengeful nation, but we are easily led. Convincing politicians individually and in a cross party way of the longterm unwisdon of their current support for it all is one possible way forward. Again, as I'm witnessing in my own family, and will no doubt take a considerable hit for, the human cost is just too high. The evidence of this as a longterm, and in terms of government, very costly outcome of just a short period of WR impact is fast emerging. It is cheaper for government when we are happy and content than miserable and angry. At the top tories are of course oblivious to appeals to any better nature, but across the board I believe there is some shame for what we have become, and there's hope in that.

Thanks for the welcome back. I agree with the people asked in the right way not wanting to punish the unemployed, disabled etc - but that's why Labour need to challenge it, and I feel if I vote for them its kind of like saying it's ok for you not to challenge it, I'll vote for you anyway, giving them no incentive to actually do it. I think the only way the main parties will really listen is if theres major voting for the smaller parties and independants - the end of the gravy train. I'm still watching Labour in case they surprise me, but at present, unless McDonnell or Meacher changed to my area, I can't at present justify voting for the least worst but still causing immense suffering for the disabled.
And yes its possible that the Greens will also betray us. Ive also been watching occupy democracy and Left unity a lot - for the longer term.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Well, I didn't need to consult hansard...

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/healt ... nt-8153566
Prime Minister David Cameron has called on the Welsh Government to introduce a designated Cancer Drugs Fund to help patients in Wales access pioneering medicines.

Speaking at the UK Investment Summit in Newport on Friday the Conservative leader said the Welsh Government has “let down” the people of Wales by not putting enough money into the health service.

He claimed Wales should follow England’s example by setting up a fund specifically to pay for expensive cancer drugs not routinely available on the NHS.

Health ministers in England set up a cancer drugs fund in 2010, which is currently worth £280m a year.
I know I'm preaching to the converted but he's so superficial - the appearance of doing something.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
I thought that's what he had in mind because North Sea Oil seems to be declining. It talks a lot about infrastructure for oil production. Isn't that already there in the North Sea, except it's not work pulling out at the moment?
It talks a lot about the infrastructure bill, and what Monbiot calls its 'twin' bit of legislation. As this is going through right now he is pointing out one possible implication. Taking note of the name of the bill and not bringing it down to that focus is I think helpful, and the fact that it does cover so much might inform on why both the headers and the latter part of the article deal with oil. It's not necessary legislation outside of the context of TTIP but is being pushed through anyway. I'm not sure why I'm even saying this, except that it bears closer scrutiny, not that doing so will change anything, it will likely go through and the full implications will be understood later. A bit like everything over the last few years.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

thatchersorphan wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
thatchersorphan wrote: Whilst labour take this position - a large chunk of the disabled won't vote for them - including myself. If those of you who do communicate with Labour could get this point across to them it may help. I think we're going to see a lot more disabled voting at the GE - and parties that stand up for the disabled instead of buying into (or appearing to buy into) the scrounger rhetoric will be able to capitalise on that policy. Labour HAVE to challenge the neo-liberal narrative with a new narrative (or an old one - the one that got the social contract and NHS in the first place)

Thanks for the welcome back. I agree with the people asked in the right way not wanting to punish the unemployed, disabled etc - but that's why Labour need to challenge it, and I feel if I vote for them its kind of like saying it's ok for you not to challenge it, I'll vote for you anyway, giving them no incentive to actually do it. I think the only way the main parties will really listen is if theres major voting for the smaller parties and independants - the end of the gravy train. I'm still watching Labour in case they surprise me, but at present, unless McDonnell or Meacher changed to my area, I can't at present justify voting for the least worst but still causing immense suffering for the disabled.
And yes its possible that the Greens will also betray us. Ive also been watching occupy democracy and Left unity a lot - for the longer term.
I'm not that confident in processes of swift change, hence my choices. I think there's a breadth of ways to challenge what happening so broadly we are on the same side. Showing we are bigger than our voting intent would represent real solidarity, recent setbacks not withstanding. I think we are all united in what we don't want! :D
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This is incredible.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/01/t ... nsion-tax/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In a tactic redolent of craftily designed fake legal notices from the likes of Wonga, the Conservative Party has resorted to sending out letters designed to look like genuine local authority communications in a bid to scaremonger local residents about the Mansion Tax.

The letter, which is hitting doorsteps in Hampstead and Kilburn, arrives in a personally-addressed windowed envelope emblazoned with ‘Mansion Tax & Council Tax Revaluation Information’:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FFS.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Well, I didn't need to consult hansard...

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/healt ... nt-8153566
Prime Minister David Cameron has called on the Welsh Government to introduce a designated Cancer Drugs Fund to help patients in Wales access pioneering medicines.

Speaking at the UK Investment Summit in Newport on Friday the Conservative leader said the Welsh Government has “let down” the people of Wales by not putting enough money into the health service.

He claimed Wales should follow England’s example by setting up a fund specifically to pay for expensive cancer drugs not routinely available on the NHS.

Health ministers in England set up a cancer drugs fund in 2010, which is currently worth £280m a year.

I know I'm preaching to the converted but he's so superficial - the appearance of doing something.
Worse than that, he's utterly cynical.

Fair play to NHS England for trying to sort it out, but why was it set up above their heads in the first place?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I mean, surely he must have understood that internal reviews would pretty much put his policy back in its box?

Did he want to set up a row with "faceless bureaucrats", or was there really no more to it than some headlines a couple of months ago?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

seeingclearly wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
It talks a lot about the infrastructure bill, and what Monbiot calls its 'twin' bit of legislation. As this is going through right now he is pointing out one possible implication. Taking note of the name of the bill and not bringing it down to that focus is I think helpful, and the fact that it does cover so much might inform on why both the headers and the latter part of the article deal with oil. It's not necessary legislation outside of the context of TTIP but is being pushed through anyway. I'm not sure why I'm even saying this, except that it bears closer scrutiny, not that doing so will change anything, it will likely go through and the full implications will be understood later. A bit like everything over the last few years.
I see that. I just find he overeggs things like this- he doesn't understand the subject like he does with environmental stuff, on which I've much more time for him. I particularly respect his change on nuclear power as him calling something he understands exactly as he sees it, even though I'm not particularly pro-nuclear.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Also from Scrapbook, the polling that got Vince Cable into trouble.

Wells is duly knocked off that list of "Eastleighs". With some chance of the LDs being beaten by Labour, who haven't beaten them since 1970.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

seeingclearly wrote: I'm not that confident in processes of swift change, hence my choices. I think there's a breadth of ways to challenge what happening so broadly we are on the same side. Showing we are bigger than our voting intent would represent real solidarity, recent setbacks not withstanding. I think we are all united in what we don't want! :D

Yes, I agree, we are all roughly on the same side, hence me being comfortable posting here, whilst knowing many of you will vote for Labour, and I, at present won't, I don't see any reason for confliict over it, ultimately who we vote for is an individual choice and voting aside, we all have much in common in the direction we want things to go.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30746215" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The government is seeking an expert in systems that are more than 40 years old to revamp technology used by the Department for Work and Pensions.
At the end (the real agenda) : "It aims ultimately to automate government services and deliver them through web apps.
"It hopes this way to cut about 80% of the staff who handle public enquiries in call centres and so on. And it hopes this will help it break up big public bodies such as DWP, to make way for private providers."
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

David Cameron’s former chief of staff has predicted that the Conservatives will lose the general election

https://www.publicaffairsnews.com/artic ... e-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot00001.jpg
ScreenShot00001.jpg (74.82 KiB) Viewed 7873 times
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Miliband is on Marr this morning. I don't think I can watch it, it's too early to scream swear words at the TV. I'm sure Marr will give Miliband the same soapy backrub treatment he gave Cameron...
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

To thatchers' orphan and seeing clearly -

I have to say that although there are minority parties whose policies on health and social security are more in line with what I want to see, I will vote Labour because they have a good chance of winning - the others don't, and in some places voting for them might assist the right.
We don't have proportional representation - if we did I might feel differently.

Labour is making the right noises on the big-ticket issues that bother the majority of people - the economy, the NHS - and right now their priority has to be getting an overall majority in order to form a government without having to fudge in a coalition.
I can only see change on social security coming from Labour if/when they're in government if there is enough pressure on them from within.
While we wait, those of us who campaign on this issue must continue to inform and educate and build support for change.

There are 5 million people of working age claiming out-of-work benefits. There are millions of people on low pay who are affected by the many changes, new charges, etc. There are millions who will be affected by Universal Credit and its accompanying sanctions regime.
That's a lot of votes - but I don't see Labour doing much to get all those people on side - abolition of the bedroom tax is a step in the right direction, but other helpful policies have not really been publicised enough to have had much impact, IMHO.

It seems to me that a vote for any party other than Labour is not going to help much - and bear in mind I am a recent member whose priority is to get the Tories out of government and give the Libbing Dead a spanking, so I'm not dyed-in-the-wool Labour and I'm not tribal.
Miliband has to tread a very careful path here - he doesn't need working-class defections to UKIP, so he has to go with the flow on benefits if he wants votes; and the sad truth is that the propaganda has worked and a lot of people believe what they read in the tabloids.

I feel that all I can do for now is pester and keep on doing that - it's a shame that those of us who do this get little or no response, even when Labour asks for our views during consultations it seems they're not actually listening at all and the exercise is a waste of time.
It would be good if people who have the ear of powerful Labour people could get the message across about ESA and the WCA and how the majority of the sick and disabled actually feel about it, ie, it needs to go; until they do this, they will only get limited support from the disabled community and the campaigners and activists, many of whom see Labour as no better than anyone else.

Many politicians are quite arrogant, they have to be to do what they do - and now their priority is gaining a seat or keeping one.
A lot of them - and I include Reeves and Green in this - talk as though they don't quite grasp their brief. They seem not to understand the difference between sickness and disability, and have bought in to the whole "work is good for you" thing which is not the case for many.
This is one of many "New Labour" legacies, in my view, and will be very difficult to shift. Especially with the likes of Cooper around.

So - we keep going. I can only hope that if Labour do form a government, they will start to listen. They're not really listening now.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Spacedone wrote:Miliband is on Marr this morning. I don't think I can watch it, it's too early to scream swear words at the TV. I'm sure Marr will give Miliband the same soapy backrub treatment he gave Cameron...
Andrew Sparrow is covering it: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... -live-blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Marr forgot to leave something in the green room as he prepared to interview Ed Milband this morning
B7D12K0IMAAGlfX.jpg
B7D12K0IMAAGlfX.jpg (25.7 KiB) Viewed 7801 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Student debt to cost Britain billions within decades http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educ ... urn false;The cost to the country of paying for student debt will rocket to billions of pounds a year over the next three decades, almost equalling the entire higher education budget, new statistics show.

The figures, obtained by Labour's former universities minister John Denham, show that writing off students' debts plus net lending – the amount loaned to students less the amount they repay – will add up to more than £8bn by the 2040s, or 0.6 per cent of UK GDP....
According to finance experts, the current fees system means the Government is operating a costly "loan now, pay later" funding model for higher education, equivalent to the financial crisis facing schools and local authorities over public finance initiatives (PFIs).
Another fine mess.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mark Ferguson ‏@Markfergusonuk 17m17 minutes ago
Miliband says that no leader should have a “veto” on the debates and that they belong to the people not the politicians. Very good #Marr
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andrew Fisher ‏@AndrewFisher79 47m47 minutes ago
On #Marr, newspaper reviewer wishes to raise Duke of York, Marr says "I'd like to invite you to talk about Ed Miliband" #freedomofspeech
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Toby Latimer wrote:Marr forgot to leave something in the green room as he prepared to interview Ed Milband this morning
B7D12K0IMAAGlfX.jpg

That is most excellent Mr Latimer.

You should tweet that to Marr. I wish the fucker would look at tapes of his Cameron/Miliband interviews and ask himself if he is really being even handed.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labour North ‏@LabourNorth 2h2 hours ago
Tens of thousands of homes across the North were already waiting to downsize before the Bedroom Tax came into force http://mirr.im/14HZgGP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New figures have sparked fury from MPs who say the government knew a chronic shortage of housing would leave families unfairly losing money
Tens of thousands of people across the North were already waiting to downsize before the bedroom tax came into force, The Sunday Sun can reveal.
Almost 40,000 households across the North of England were on the waiting list for one-bedroom social homes just as the so-called Bedroom Tax came into force - half the total number of households on the list.
It compares with just 22% of households on the waiting list who were hoping for a social home with more than four bedrooms.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 39m 39 minutes ago
Good news. We're going to get the first telephone poll of the year from lord Ashcroft this afternoon. Usually it comes out on Mondays

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 4m 4 minutes ago
@OlafCaiLarsen This is @LordAshcroft 's first weekly national phone poll of 2014. Other constituency polls are in the pipeline
Bated breath then. He must have the year wrong though ... I don't want a re release of last years.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Alastair Campbell ‏@campbellclaret 2m2 minutes ago
If @David_Cameron was proud of record, confident in policies and as cocky as he seems re @Ed_Miliband he would welcome TV debates #frit
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

That reminds me did Shapps/Gov ever acknowledge that his "work 17 hours and you are exempt"publically aired response to a caller on the radio was utter bollox?Then again talking utter garbage is his default position.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Toby Latimer wrote:Marr forgot to leave something in the green room as he prepared to interview Ed Milband this morning
B7D12K0IMAAGlfX.jpg
After his stroke didn't he have quite definite views on the NHS? Something about needing more physio than they could give him?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

ohsocynical wrote:
The attachment B7D12K0IMAAGlfX.jpg is no longer available
After his stroke didn't he have quite definite views on the NHS? Something about needing more physio than they could give him?
I found this ...
I don't believe there is anywhere in the world as good as the best of the NHS. At the National [hospital for neurology in London], at Charing Cross, at Queen Mary's, I've had an extraordinary level of care and attention." He accepts it's not a perfect picture. While the NHS "is fantastic in London and the big cities", the system is not so good at the aftercare stage – the physio and occupational therapy. "Too many people get turned out of hospital and dumped in wheelchairs."

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/a ... ert-mccrum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot00012.jpg
ScreenShot00012.jpg (223.34 KiB) Viewed 7726 times
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tens of thousands of homes across the North were already waiting to downsize before the Bedroom Tax came into force http://mirr.im/14HZgGP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New figures have sparked fury from MPs who say the government knew a chronic shortage of housing would leave families unfairly losing money
Tens of thousands of people across the North were already waiting to downsize before the bedroom tax came into force, The Sunday Sun can reveal.
Almost 40,000 households across the North of England were on the waiting list for one-bedroom social homes just as the so-called Bedroom Tax came into force - half the total number of households on the list.
It compares with just 22% of households on the waiting list who were hoping for a social home with more than four bedrooms.

Thank you, RR.

So at long last, the media is catching up with what local authorities and housing associations have been saying for a long time.

The vast majority of people on council/social housing waiting lists want smaller accommodation, and it's a minority who are on the waiting lists and overcrowded.
Yes, overcrowding is bad - but some of those people are turning down larger homes when offered because they will become liable for the bedroom tax, something that has been reported by many local authorities.
Leaving those homes empty is not an option and they are being flogged off to private investors - thus perpetuating the problem, and doing nothing to ease the pressure.

We always knew that the bedroom tax was unfair; most of us predicted it would do nothing to deal with overcrowding; most of us predicted it would lead to hardship; most of us knew it would not save any money; most of us knew that those who did move would be in the private sector claiming higher rates of Housing Benefit/LHA.

The whole point of this was never to ease overcrowding. It was to move more people into the private sector, and diminish what's left of council/social housing - and if a few scroungers could be beaten into penury at the same time, it's trebles all round.

Bastards.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

refitman wrote:
Spacedone wrote:Miliband is on Marr this morning. I don't think I can watch it, it's too early to scream swear words at the TV. I'm sure Marr will give Miliband the same soapy backrub treatment he gave Cameron...
Andrew Sparrow is covering it: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... -live-blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've read it. I find it too depressing for words. I don't want to hear Ed rule out income tax rises, and say he'll consider regional benefit caps.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Thank you, RR.

So at long last, the media is catching up with what local authorities and housing associations have been saying for a long time.

The vast majority of people on council/social housing waiting lists want smaller accommodation, and it's a minority who are on the waiting lists and overcrowded.
Yes, overcrowding is bad - but some of those people are turning down larger homes when offered because they will become liable for the bedroom tax, something that has been reported by many local authorities.
Leaving those homes empty is not an option and they are being flogged off to private investors - thus perpetuating the problem, and doing nothing to ease the pressure.

We always knew that the bedroom tax was unfair; most of us predicted it would do nothing to deal with overcrowding; most of us predicted it would lead to hardship; most of us knew it would not save any money; most of us knew that those who did move would be in the private sector claiming higher rates of Housing Benefit/LHA.

The whole point of this was never to ease overcrowding. It was to move more people into the private sector, and diminish what's left of council/social housing - and if a few scroungers could be beaten into penury at the same time, it's trebles all round.

Bastards.
And don't forget. They're still flogging off social housing. I'd like to see Ed put a full stop to that.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

gilsey wrote:
refitman wrote:
I've read it. I find it too depressing for words. I don't want to hear Ed rule out income tax rises, and say he'll consider regional benefit caps.
He stated, categorically, that the 50p rate would be reinstated, how is that ruling out an income tax rise? Is Sparow editorialising again?
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Miliband apparently let slip a comment about "minor parties like UKIP and the LibDems" - nice one :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
gilsey wrote:
refitman wrote: Andrew Sparrow is covering it: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... -live-blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He stated, categorically, that the 50p rate would be reinstated, how is that ruling out an income tax rise? Is Sparow editorialising again?
Beg your pardon, I was taking the 50p rate for granted.

It was this, I should make it clear that in no way do I approve of any specific proposal put forward by that tosser Field.
Q: Frank Field last week suggested taking the NHS out of politics and putting up national insurance to pay for improving it. Do you support that?

Miliband says that would be a tax rise for ordinary people. He does not support that.
In view of the ConDems erosion of the tax base by increasing the personal allowance, there's a very good economic case for 1p on the basic rate and 2p on the higher rate. IMO.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

As Field is a marginalised non entity I think it is safe to say anything that spills from his lips is not policy. So, is Sparrow suggesting that Miliband echoed that this morning, because he certainly didn't on the bit I could bear to watch before turning off in disgust at Marr's blatantly partisan showing.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

We have tax bands above 45% that are entirely missing. We could have them at 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75 and 80%. Getting rid of these bands has created great inequality of wealth and it is now so great that it is causing real trouble for our society.

There has never been sensible arguments against these bands, just greed and hatred of society dressed up as dishonest economic argument. We are less equal and have to work harder for less as a result, while our exploiters enjoy huge freedom.

I'd rather see those bands reinstated before we increase the basic rate. They have cut the basic rate and raised indirect taxes. So reintroduce the higher rates, cut indirect taxes, and then see what level of basic rate is needed for public spending.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Apologies if already posted, and to RebeccaR, but the thought of Anna Soubry losing her seat is worth re-posting..

http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2015/01/1 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

I think Miliband's approach to the economy is sound. The predistribution idea is timely. Raising taxes now would just be taking more money from people who can ill afford it and take cash out of the economy. On the other hand, big companies can easily afford to pay their staff a living wage and the Government can then save on tax credits and other benefits.

Of course the policies aren't perfect. Miliband isn't prolong a mandatory living wage, just an £8 minimum wage, which is still low. But the basic idea to me is both practical and principled.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

gilsey wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
gilsey wrote: I've read it. I find it too depressing for words. I don't want to hear Ed rule out income tax rises, and say he'll consider regional benefit caps.
Beg your pardon, I was taking the 50p rate for granted.

It was this, I should make it clear that in no way do I approve of any specific proposal put forward by that tosser Field.
Q: Frank Field last week suggested taking the NHS out of politics and putting up national insurance to pay for improving it. Do you support that?

Miliband says that would be a tax rise for ordinary people. He does not support that.
In view of the ConDems erosion of the tax base by increasing the personal allowance, there's a very good economic case for 1p on the basic rate and 2p on the higher rate. IMO.
Field didn't say an extra penny on income tax but talked about a rise in NI. I am rather dubious about putting up NI.

I think that it is a given Labour will raise more tax than the Tories, but if you remember 92 there is no way they are going to say that.

There are also hard questions to be asked as to how you raise tax. I am increasingly convinced that the old mantra that Income Tax is fairest is no longer true.

Typically I pay more than the median wage in tax every year, yet I work with people earning double my salary and paying a fraction of my tax. Now I have no issue with contractors being able to offset certain things against tax, but I think scams where they create a business and pay a dividend needs to stop. You might be shocked at just how much tax these sorts of changes will raise.

There is an underlying assumption in Labours plans that middle class tax evasion will end, and that the elite will be hammered by taxing their assets (they don't earn money). You don't announce these sorts of plans up front.

In this environment Ed is clearly right to rule out something as simplistic as raising NI or income tax. I also think the line on the benefits cap is an electoral necessity. If you combine rules on rent control and low cost public housing with a regional reduction it is likely to result in zero impact nationally and will improve the situation in London.

One area where Labour should step up to the plate is disability, the sums of money are not great and promising to fix the system in favour of the claimants would be a good moral line to draw. Hard for the Tories to launch an attack on labour as well.
Release the Guardvarks.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Or we could do what happened under New Labour, the point Ed was trying to make this morning, but wasn't allowed by Marr as it didn't suit the narrative; we could try to find ways to take the burden off the lower paid (increase NMW, move towards a Living Wage as the standard, tackle housing & energy costs) and work to put real growth back into the economy - 40%-50% tax on a larger, more buoyant economy has to be preferable to 75% on a small, stagnant one.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

mikems wrote:We have tax bands above 45% that are entirely missing. We could have them at 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75 and 80%. Getting rid of these bands has created great inequality of wealth and it is now so great that it is causing real trouble for our society.

There has never been sensible arguments against these bands, just greed and hatred of society dressed up as dishonest economic argument. We are less equal and have to work harder for less as a result, while our exploiters enjoy huge freedom.

I'd rather see those bands reinstated before we increase the basic rate. They have cut the basic rate and raised indirect taxes. So reintroduce the higher rates, cut indirect taxes, and then see what level of basic rate is needed for public spending.

Yes. This.