Tuesday 13th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Spacedone
Whip

Tuesday 13th January 2015

Post by Spacedone »

Pay squeeze could cost Treasury more than £100bn, say Labour calculations
Party says low wage growth leaves tax shortfall as Tories claim Ed Balls is promising ‘tax bombshell’ with deficit vote
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... s-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Income tax receipts and national insurance contributions have been 6.9% lower across the parliament than expected in 2010, equivalent to £95bn. The same level of shortfall in the next parliament would deprive the Treasury of £109bn in revenue, the party says.

By contrast, if wages were to grow in line with their historical average rather than their current forecasts over the next parliament, tax receipts would be almost £12bn higher than the Office for Budget Responsibility is predicting.

Labour is highlighting the sensitivity of the public finances to wages in an attempt to strengthen its argument that the deficit can be cleared much more easily if wages do not remain depressed.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 13th January 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all. Labour lead at 1 point on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 12th January -

Con 32%, (nc)
Lab 33%, (+1)
LD 6%, (-1)
UKIP 17%, (-1)
GRN 6%; (nc)

APP -24 (nc)
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Morning all...hoping to be back later but a couple of favourites from #foxnewsfacts...

They've renamed the well-known fast food restaurant chain, Burqa King.

They've discovered a new insect in Birmingham - the Jihadi Long-legs.

Wait...there's more :lol:

Muslim women in Birmingham call their niqabs their 'noddy holder'.

..and there's a quiz (a bit unfair, as I originally come from Cradley Heath (in the Black Country - which is Africa, according to Fox News...or maybe not - they've denied saying it :o ) near Birmingham so have local knowledge...and must have been converted to Islam without my knowledge when downing a few pints of the brown stuff in the excellent Tap & Spile just off Broad St :lol:)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... s_mchannel
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Spacedone wrote:Pay squeeze could cost Treasury more than £100bn, say Labour calculations
Party says low wage growth leaves tax shortfall as Tories claim Ed Balls is promising ‘tax bombshell’ with deficit vote
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... s-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Income tax receipts and national insurance contributions have been 6.9% lower across the parliament than expected in 2010, equivalent to £95bn. The same level of shortfall in the next parliament would deprive the Treasury of £109bn in revenue, the party says.

By contrast, if wages were to grow in line with their historical average rather than their current forecasts over the next parliament, tax receipts would be almost £12bn higher than the Office for Budget Responsibility is predicting.

Labour is highlighting the sensitivity of the public finances to wages in an attempt to strengthen its argument that the deficit can be cleared much more easily if wages do not remain depressed.
I've been wondering how Dimwit and Gidiots' recovery looks when they add in the reduced tax take from the lower petrol prices as well - per litre seems to be 20p-25p cheaper....so the cut to the Exchequer must've gone down too?
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Lonewolfie wrote:
Spacedone wrote:Pay squeeze could cost Treasury more than £100bn, say Labour calculations

I've been wondering how Dimwit and Gidiots' recovery looks when they add in the reduced tax take from the lower petrol prices as well - per litre seems to be 20p-25p cheaper....so the cut to the Exchequer must've gone down too?
Yes, the VAT take will have dropped but not the duty as that is a ppl basis not a percentage of the cost.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Lonewolfie wrote:Morning all...hoping to be back later but a couple of favourites from #foxnewsfacts...

..and there's a quiz (a bit unfair, as I originally come from Cradley Heath (in the Black Country - which is Africa, according to Fox News...or maybe not - they've denied saying it :o ) near Birmingham so have local knowledge...and must have been converted to Islam without my knowledge when downing a few pints of the brown stuff in the excellent Tap & Spile just off Broad St :lol:)

Morning. My favourite was the New Romantic band of the '80's Quran Quran
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning all - great posts already.

I also chuckled at reports that the Scottish Highlands were also a muslim only region, ruled of course by Mullah Kintyre ;-)

I do think Balls has found his voice with his simple critique of austerity and rebuttal of the Tories' Labour = tax hike attack. He should repeat again and again that a Labour Treasury will bring in more taxes because there will be more people in better paid jobs. The extra money comes from increased GDP and from unscrupulous employers who have been paying low wages, subsidised by the taxpayer, for too long.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Morning all - great posts already.

I also chuckled at reports that the Scottish Highlands were also a muslim only region, ruled of course by Mullah Kintyre ;-)

I do think Balls has found his voice with his simple critique of austerity and rebuttal of the Tories' Labour = tax hike attack. He should repeat again and again that a Labour Treasury will bring in more taxes because there will be more people in better paid jobs. The extra money comes from increased GDP and from unscrupulous employers who have been paying low wages, subsidised by the taxpayer, for too long.
Finally. This should form the basis of the stock response (if they can get it into a 10 word sentence to seep into public awareness, perfect) whenever the "well where are you going to find the shortfall from" BBC etc line of questioning.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all. Re post from late last night with Mr Dale's latest predictions for Scottish seats.
GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 57: SCOTLAND - NORTH EAST
http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2015/01/1 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Predicting a Lab loss and 2 Lib Dem losses. 2 SNP gains and 1 Cons gain.

GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 58: SCOTLAND - CENTRAL
http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2015/01/1 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Predicting a Lab loss and Lib Dem loss. Both SNP gains.

GENERAL ELECTION PREDICTIONS 59: SCOTLAND - FIFE
Predicting 2 Lab losses. 2 SNP gains.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 1h1 hour ago
Nick Clegg on blogger flogged by Saudi Arabia: "I'm not aware of this case". I know he's a busy man, but...#r4today
He must have had his head stuck where the sun don't shine to not know about this ... what a ....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labour Press Team ‏@labourpress 1h1 hour ago
Sudden cancellation of Sellafield contract leaves Ministers with serious questions to answer - @tomgreatrexmp http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1079710 ... act-leaves" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
I've missed this cancellation. Will have to take a look at the 'papers'. Anyway - sounds like it has been yet another example of the Condemns wasting public money on a grand scale.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The families cheated out of their homes – for the sin of being poor
A Labour council that once protected its people now rides roughshod over them in a bid for gentrification

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... rification
I'm disgusted by this. Shame on Waltham Forest council.

I used to live a stone's throw from these two tower blocks. What the article doesn't quite put across is that they overlook Wanstead Flats ... they have the most beautiful outlook. There will, no doubt, be plenty of foreign investors ready to snap up the new flats built in this prime place - willing to pay a fortune for something that will be purely an investment, certainly not a home. Absolutely no chance for existing residents - or probably for most UK flat hunters. This is greed and speculation by the council ... nothing to do with what's right and best for residents. They should be stopped.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Wow.

CPI annual inflation – the Government’s target measure was 0.5% in December 2014, down from 1.0% in November.

Double whammy...

The main contributions to the fall came from the December 2013 gas and electricity price rises falling out of the calculation and the continuing drop in motor fuel prices.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

What's the RPI figure, can't see the Guardian have given it, only the CPI ?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Lonewolfie wrote:Morning all...hoping to be back later but a couple of favourites from #foxnewsfacts...

Cradley Heath will forever be the home of Florence, in my memory at least. *

* Socially inadequate Josie Lawrence character from the Saturday Live days. Josie, who is not socially inadequate, hails from there I believe.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Found it on Twitter.

RPI down to 1.6% from 2% the previous month.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From BTL on UK Polling Report. Stand by your beds. http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archi ... 1#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JASPER22
Anyone else heard the Murdoch papers are going to launch a huge attack on EM in the next few days? Source is a well connected journalist friend.
I guess we should not be surprised as there will be a lot of this to come.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

yahyah wrote:Found it on Twitter.

Thanks yahyah.
:)

Morning all. Could someone with more woken up brain cells than me please give a simple explanation of the CPI/RPI changes? I'm sure, for greedy, self-serving state pensioners like me, born in 1947, that one or the other needs to stay up!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited to add "greedy, self-serving,un-deserving, taking beds and stealing from youths
Last edited by giselle97 on Tue 13 Jan, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:From BTL on UK Polling Report. Stand by your beds. http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archi ... 1#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JASPER22
Anyone else heard the Murdoch papers are going to launch a huge attack on EM in the next few days? Source is a well connected journalist friend.
Another one? :roll: Somebody needs to explain the Law of Diminishing Returns to Lynton and Rupe.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

rebeccariots2 wrote:From BTL on UK Polling Report. Stand by your beds. http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archi ... 1#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JASPER22
That'll be the Rupert Murdoch who owns Fox News, the network that's currently a laughing stock
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

JASPER22
Somebody else thinks as I do that JASPER22 is none other than Pressman who used to post there with claims of how he works for News International & who mysteriously disappeared towards the end of last year.

Trolling & sockpuppetry is not limited to the Graun.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Interesting article IMHO

"Why can't the UK build 240,000 houses a year?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30776306" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

I have deliberately refrained from making comments on the Sue Marsh / Maximus affair for many reasons but I think this from Johnny Void is taking it too far:
We do not know how deep Sue’s treachery goes, but in the interests of basic security we must make one assumption. Any information that you have ever given Sue Marsh should now be assumed to be in the hands of Maximus, the DWP, and particularly if you have taken part in protests or direct action, probably the police as well.
https://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is not a shred of evidence to suggest that Sue would have handed over any details to Maximus & I'm not sure if the para I have quoted would be considered libellous. I doubt Sue would sue (sorry !) even if that was the case but there has been some some vile abuse directed at her by people I thought would know better & the writer of that blog has now joined that list.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Wow.

CPI annual inflation – the Government’s target measure was 0.5% in December 2014, down from 1.0% in November.

Double whammy...

The main contributions to the fall came from the December 2013 gas and electricity price rises falling out of the calculation and the continuing drop in motor fuel prices.
*thicko alert*

Such low inflation is not regarded as a good thing is it ? Why is that ?

PS Have PM'd you
Last edited by pk1 on Tue 13 Jan, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Have you got snow yet yahyah? Our electrician just phoned and said it's snowing in Plwmp ... Mr Riots is salivating at the prospect of it reaching here. It won't ... we have torrential rain.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

pk1 wrote:
JASPER22
Somebody else thinks as I do that JASPER22 is none other than Pressman who used to post there with claims of how he works for News International & who mysteriously disappeared towards the end of last year.

I think we can be sure UKPR is not populated by experts but by the usual brigade of amateurs and sophists.
Release the Guardvarks.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

pk1 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Wow.

Double whammy...

*thicko alert*

PS Have PM'd you
For one thing the public and business can hold off making purchases, prices aren't expected to increase. This has been disastrous in the past for Japan and Ireland.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
pk1 wrote:

I think we can be sure UKPR is not populated by experts but by the usual brigade of amateurs and sophists.
And one has to ask - what can the right wing press do to Ed that they haven't already?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@pk1

Thanks for posting,your voice is of course as legitimate as any other,I am unhappy you feel constrained in giving it.That you may take a different view it is all the more important that you shouldn't be IMHO.

Too easy to fall into a self satisfied righteous consensus where there is no room for discussion and people fear being pounced on if they question that consensus.

Regards.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
pk1 wrote: Somebody else thinks as I do that JASPER22 is none other than Pressman who used to post there with claims of how he works for News International & who mysteriously disappeared towards the end of last year.

And one has to ask - what can the right wing press do to Ed that they haven't already?
Well exactly. They don't appear to have kept their powder dry and used it all up Summer 2013 trying to get him replaced by a Blairite.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

HindleA wrote:@pk1

Thanks for posting,your voice is of course as legitimate as any other,I am unhappy you feel constrained in giving it.That you may take a different view it is all the more important that you shouldn't be IMHO.

Too easy to fall into a self satisfied righteous consensus where there is no room for discussion and people fear being pounced on if they question that consensus.

Regards.
I too have been very uncomfortable about the level of the concerted attack on someone when none of us stand in Sue's shoes. Sue's blog was my very first awareness of the viciousness and cruelty of the totally unjustified attacks against decent human beings living under awful and difficult circumstances and I owe her for that. I owe you too, as I do many others, posting here.
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

pk1
It's not a good thing because falling prices means that people hold off buying today what they can buy tomorrow or the day after at a lower price.

It's a sign of Osborne's stupidity. He came into office claiming that we were about to experience hyper-inflation. So he cut and cut, drained the economy of demand and now we see that the real danger was not hyper-inflation, but deflation.

Some of us, who have not deliberatly forgotten the lessons of history, warned at the time that deflation was the real threat, not inflation. But deficit - like balance of payments, sterling crises, inflation or other problems that have come and gone before and which are unsolveable in capitalism - has been exaggerated in importance in order to facilitate a transfer or wealth and power to elites and to diminish democracy.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labour's Health Team ‏@LabourHealth 23m23 minutes ago
Health Questions about to start in the Commons. Watch live here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-30795010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
For anyone with the stomach ... or not in danger from elevated blood pressure.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

mikems wrote:pk1
It's not a good thing because falling prices means that people hold off buying today what they can buy tomorrow or the day after at a lower price.

It's a sign of Osborne's stupidity. He came into office claiming that we were about to experience hyper-inflation. So he cut and cut, drained the economy of demand and now we see that the real danger was not hyper-inflation, but deflation.

Some of us, who have not deliberatly forgotten the lessons of history, warned at the time that deflation was the real threat, not inflation. But deficit - like balance of payments, sterling crises, inflation or other problems that have come and gone before and which are unsolveable in capitalism - has been exaggerated in importance in order to facilitate a transfer or wealth and power to elites and to diminish democracy.
Yep, deflation is a catastrophe unless you are massively rich. Your salary shrinks, your debts remain and the economy contracts. It is the opposite of growth. Why spend when your job is insecure and your purchase is cheaper next month. All that private debt Osborne is building up becomes massively toxic.

As others have pointed out it was a disaster for Japan, we are halfway through our lost decade and still sinking.

Of course if you are loaded it is brilliant. Your money buys more stuff,your savings are worth more every month and you have no debt and you don't need a job.
Release the Guardvarks.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

mikems wrote:pk1

Some of us, who have not deliberatly forgotten the lessons of history, warned at the time that deflation was the real threat, not inflation. But austerity - like balance of payments, sterling crises, inflation or deficit that have come and gone before - has been exaggerated in importance in order to facilitate a transfer or wealth and power to elites and to diminish democracy.
The woman on BBC News this morning was valiantly trying to say "but low inflation is a good thing isn't it?" but the fact that a drop below 1% triggers a letter from the Governor of the Bank of England to the Chancellor reflects the fact that it's of concern. I get the impression it's only been high global commodity prices that has stood between us and worryingly low inflation for some time now and is one of the reasons why interest rates remained low throughout our recent period of highish inflation. What we are looking at is the reality of the economic policy we've been following under George Osborne and it isn't pretty because Osborne is expecting the Bank of England to fix what it can't fix. Low inflation usually triggers a rate drop, but with rates already at 0.5% there's little left to play with. The emergency rate was introduced by Gordon Brown to give us a little breathing room whilst we attempted to reform the economy and get it growing again. We've had the breathing space, but we haven't made any progress in balancing the economy and growth remains sluggish because austerity has dampened demand. We have now run out of time. If Labour do get in, they'll inherit a horrible combo of falling tax receipts, high consumer debt and a monetary policy that is the equivalent of pushing on a piece of string.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

There is too much private capital domimating our economies - that's the bottom line.

Until we control capital and build up public capital funds that avoid 'markets' we will have one crisis or another waved in our faces as a reason why inequality and injustice must increase.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 1h1 hour ago
Nick Clegg on blogger flogged by Saudi Arabia: "I'm not aware of this case". I know he's a busy man, but...#r4today
He must have had his head stuck where the sun don't shine to not know about this ... what a ....
I've come to the conclusion Clegg is dim. Not dopey, duplicitous, cunning or ambitious. Simply dim.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

pk1 wrote:I have deliberately refrained from making comments on the Sue Marsh / Maximus affair for many reasons but I think this from Johnny Void is taking it too far:
We do not know how deep Sue’s treachery goes, but in the interests of basic security we must make one assumption. Any information that you have ever given Sue Marsh should now be assumed to be in the hands of Maximus, the DWP, and particularly if you have taken part in protests or direct action, probably the police as well.
https://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is not a shred of evidence to suggest that Sue would have handed over any details to Maximus & I'm not sure if the para I have quoted would be considered libellous. I doubt Sue would sue (sorry !) even if that was the case but there has been some some vile abuse directed at her by people I thought would know better & the writer of that blog has now joined that list.

With respect, there is no evidence that she has details of this kind - and there is no evidence that she hasn't, either.

Whilst I appreciate The Void is using his usual stroppy language (which a lot of the time is both appropriate and amusing) his warning is not an unreasonable one to make, IMHO.
Many people gave Sue Marsh a great deal of very private and personal information in the wider interests of research; they did this in good faith and in confidence.
They did so for the greater good; and now they find that someone who apparently championed their cause is now working for what they perceive as the enemy.
Further, many people also donated money (some from very low benefit incomes) to help - some things were bought but a sum of money remains unaccounted for.

On both Sue's blog and Johnny Void's, I and others have expressed the view BTL that the insults need to stop and we should move on.
Many people have been campaigning for decades, and Sue is a recent (and now temporary) addition to their number, however high-profile. I got involved in disability rights back in 1995 when the DDA came in. People come and go; sometimes they sell out.

However - I am still very angry and I am not alone in feeling betrayed. Beyond her new-found ability to give her family a bit of financial stability, which is a very good thing and for that alone I am pleased for her, her justifications for taking this job are spurious at best.

There are people in my network who know a lot more about this than is generally known. That information may well come out in time; the fact that is hasn't so far demonstrates remarkable restraint on the part of those who now feel let down but unsurprised at this turn of events. I don't know Sue at all, personally; but some of my contacts do, and they have yet to respond, if they ever do.

There is often more to something like this than meets the eye - whilst I agree that some of the comments and blog postings have been unnecessarily vitriolic, I absolutely understand the strength of feeling behind them. Mainly because I share it.

Truth has a way of finding its home in the light eventually. Meanwhile, we move on; and the new enemy and DWP factotum is Maximus.
Whoever takes their shilling, we are paying for it in more ways than one.
So it is the turn of Maximus to be subjected to the same opprobrium as Atos were (and still are); and although it will make no odds to the viciousness of IDS and his henchmen, Maximus deserve all the hassle that will come their way.

Johnny Void is being no more vicious about Sue Marsh than he is about anyone who catches his ire - this is standard Void stuff.
I happen to think he makes a legitimate point, evidence or no.

I have a lot of respect for you and your views, pk - if you want to discuss this on a personal level, feel free to PM me.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

giselle97 wrote:

Thanks yahyah.

Morning all. Could someone with more woken up brain cells than me please give a simple explanation of the CPI/RPI changes? I'm sure, for greedy, self-serving state pensioners like me, born in 1947, that one or the other needs to stay up!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited to add "greedy, self-serving,un-deserving, taking beds and stealing from youths
I'm hopeless at economics, but some time ago read that in future they'd use CPI rather than RPI. My brain only goes for simple options, so I think CPI figures come out lower and are therefore kinder to the government than RPI.

But I stand corrected if that's not it in a nutshell :?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Have you got snow yet yahyah? Our electrician just phoned and said it's snowing in Plwmp ... Mr Riots is salivating at the prospect of it reaching here. It won't ... we have torrential rain.
We had warnings for snow here in the SE tonight an turning much colder they say, but at present they're not sure exactly where it'll fall. Haven't checked what they're saying this morning.
We had the heavy rains overnight. Was sunny am, but now overcast and drizzling
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

There are some cracking articles on the stupidity of Cameron's snoopers charter ++

However as somebody pointed in one of the comments to these articles all of this could be avoided if Cameron only mandated the worldwide adoption of the IETF RFC 3514.

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3514.txt

This follows a long tradition of April RFCs including the implemented and tested RFC "IP over avian carrier."
Release the Guardvarks.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

I think I'll go to this meeting on Wednesday night.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Hinchin ... story.html
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Hah. Since my last post. Darkness, hail, thunder. High winds.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:There are some cracking articles on the stupidity of Cameron's snoopers charter ++

However as somebody pointed in one of the comments to these articles all of this could be avoided if Cameron only mandated the worldwide adoption of the IETF RFC 3514.

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3514.txt

This follows a long tradition of April RFCs including the implemented and tested RFC "IP over avian carrier."
:lol:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@ohsocynical

Stay safe.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Have you got snow yet yahyah? Our electrician just phoned and said it's snowing in Plwmp ... Mr Riots is salivating at the prospect of it reaching here. It won't ... we have torrential rain.

We had a thick flurry around 11am. Looked like a winter wonderland for half an hour but is melting now.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

We do have some really clever and well connected members on our Forum, don't we? Brilliant!

Edit - has whatshisname arrived yet?
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

@TobyLatimer

Hi Toby. I wonder if you could remind me of the name of the prog for capturing images and saving them that you told me about many moons back please. It's on my desktop in the other room but I don't have a monitor for it at the moment so I can't get to it. Many thanks, in anticipation!
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ohsocynical wrote:
giselle97 wrote:

Thanks yahyah.

I'm hopeless at economics, but some time ago read that in future they'd use CPI rather than RPI. My brain only goes for simple options, so I think CPI figures come out lower and are therefore kinder to the government than RPI.

But I stand corrected if that's not it in a nutshell :?
In my experience CPI is preferred when related to payments paid out by the government to ordinary people, such as benefits, but RPI is preferred when setting the profit levels for their mates such as when calculating reasonable rail fare increases.

Pensions, of course, are protected by the triple lock - wage growth, CPI or 2.5%, whichever is higher - so pensioners will receive 2.5% this year, but the change from RPI to CPI will in general terms help to repress pensioner incomes in future, as surely as Osborne's other measures are repressing everyone else's, I should imagine. Although the stated intention is, of course, to ensure pensioners keep up with everyone else when we all get magically richer. I do worry that it lets the government off the hook on low inflation as a low inflation figure in the September was bad news for the pensioners and benefit recipients whose income was linked to it, whereas now Osborne can go around saying low inflation is A GOOD THING without lots of pensioners spoiling it by bemoaning their 2p a week pension increase!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb