Friday 16th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 16th January 2015

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Look at this chancer.
Kevin Stewart (Aberdeen Central) (SNP): Share | Copy Link
We should take a step back and look at the reality of what is going on at this moment in time. Let us quote some of the bodies that the Tory-Liberal coalition often speak about in this chamber. The Institute for Fiscal Studies has described the planned cuts as

“Spending cuts on a colossal scale … taking total government spending to its lowest level as a proportion of national income since before the last war.”

The Office for Budget Responsibility notes that, under the coalition Government’s plans, total public spending would fall to 35.2 per cent of GDP by 2019-20, and would

“probably be the lowest in around 80 years.”
Debate about current SNP underspending and impoverished services. Dealt with by referring to something planned for the future, and implied that the IFS are Coalition stooges.

Sure, he could argue more cuts coming. But no argument not to do investment.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Fri 16 Jan, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Literally every SNP speech is bullshit.
Joan McAlpine: Share | Copy Link
The record of Scotland’s schools speaks for itself. The fact that we have delivered free education while students in England and Wales have to pay £9,000 a year in tuition fees and that younger students are being deprived of the education maintenance allowance shows how far ahead we are in terms of provision of and commitment to public services.
Universities aren't schools.

And having EMA doesn't help class sizes or anything else.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tory lies are handing wealth to the privileged few, right from under our noses, and until solidarity between the very vulnerable, whom it is the responsibility of a ‘strong economy’ to protect, can be established, it will continue to happen.

https://grumblerblog.wordpress.com/2015 ... ervatives/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exactly.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Willow904 wrote: I used to quite like the Greens. I liked the way they didn't have a leader, just speakers (I have a vague memory of a guy in an anorak speaking to someone from the BBC and thinking how refreshingly un-politicianlike he was, really genuine and enthusiastic!). Caroline Lucas is pretty cool too, a very effective environmentalist, a real asset to the Green movement generally. Since Natalie Bennett took over as leader, however, I've gone right off them. Suddenly they're just like all the other parties, all spin and lies and political positioning. Some may say it's worked, they've grown in membership and in the polls...but at what cost? At the moment they seem intent on stealing votes off Labour, even if it means lying about them, rather than championing left-wing politics against the hegemony of the right. If it was more a case of, we oppose the right, agree with Labour where they are on the left, but would go much further ourselves, then I would applaud them, but instead they appear to be peddling the "there're all the same" rubbish dreamed up by the right that is specifically designed to ensure anyone with even slightly left-leaning views is conned into voting for anyone but Labour, as the only party that can actually gain the majority necessary to implement any kind of left-wing agenda. But maybe I'm just getting the wrong impression. Perhaps if Natalie invested in a nice anorak she might win me over again....:)
Or even worse than that, driven into not voting at all :fire:

On which subject, it is nice that Russell Brand has been backing away a bit from his previous "don't vote" mantra recently - but if he unequivocally said that people *should* do so (even whilst continuing to claim that it isn't the be all and end all) that would be very helpful IMO.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Tubby Isaacs

Well said. Thank you.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Here's another chancer.
Shona Robison: Share | Copy Link

It is interesting that Neil Findlay had a lot to say about pay policy. At no point did he say anything about Labour’s pay policy. What we know about Labour’s pay policy is what we know about Wales, which is the only place in the UK where Labour is in power. Let us look at what Labour has done there. It did not implement the 1 per cent agenda for change pay rise for staff in Wales
Wales- smaller budget, fewer tax raising powers, bigger cuts.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Did I say there's also the lie that Westminster Labour was voting for Tory austerity too?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Remind me what country I'm living in

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott ... ce-4982573" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

"AnatolyKasparov"

Or even worse than that, driven into not voting at all :fire:
Somewhere I read he's been urging people to get involved. That's good but if you then tell them not to vote, I can't see the point because somewhere along the line of dissent, there has to be an elected person who listens and takes your complaints one step further. So why not be involved in voting for the one you think will best serve your interests?
Last edited by ohsocynical on Fri 16 Jan, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Remind me what country I'm living in

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott ... ce-4982573" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Condems' Britain ... that's where you're living Ohso. And it can get worse if we let them continue.

Apparently the place IDS visited today was above a food bank.

I hate them - Condems - for what they have done.

Our food bank asked for stuff that could just be made up with hot water at Christmas ... I couldn't bring myself to buy and donate it. People shouldn't have to eat total crap to survive. I'd hope a neighbour would heat a can of soup up for someone. We're heading in the direction of needing to teach people about hay boxes and slow cooking in them ...
Working on the wild side.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Literally every SNP speech is bullshit.
The record of Scotland’s schools speaks for itself. The fact that we have delivered free education while students in England and Wales have to pay £9,000 a year in tuition fees and that younger students are being deprived of the education maintenance allowance shows how far ahead we are in terms of provision of and commitment to public services.

That's another SNP porkie. :evil:

Welsh students only need to take out a loan only for the first £3,685 of their tuition fees –the Welsh government pays the rest wherever in the UK they study.

According to a report in the Guardian ''Welsh university students get most financial support in UK, Welsh students receive the highest cost-of-living grants and incur the lowest debts to pay for their degrees.''

''A report comparing the different funding systems for 2014-15 shows that low-income Welsh students receive the highest cost-of-living grants and incur the lowest debts to pay for their degrees. The report compares grants for various incomes across all four UK nations, plus fees and student loans.

"For the poorest third or so of full-time students, the Welsh system is particularly good, wherever those students go to study in the UK," says Lucy Hunter Blackburn, former head of higher education at the Scottish executive and author of the report for the Economic and Social Research Council's Future of the UK and Scotland programme . "They receive the greatest help with the cost of living away from home."

In Wales, students from households with incomes of less than £18,000 get a cost-of-living grant (which does not have to be paid back) of £5,161 – nearly three times as much as the same group of students in Scotland (£1,750). It is also significantly more than the maximum cost-of-living grants in England (£3,387) and Northern Ireland (£3,475). The point at which families earn too much to qualify for any grant is also highest in Wales (a household income of just over £50,000) and lowest in Scotland (£34,000).''

Do the extremist cybernats ever actually tell the truth ?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Miliband raises the bar again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... esday.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah wrote:

Welsh students only need to take out a loan only for the first £3,685 of their tuition fees –the Welsh government pays the rest wherever in the UK they study.

According to a report in the Guardian ''Welsh university students get most financial support in UK, Welsh students receive the highest cost-of-living grants and incur the lowest debts to pay for their degrees.''

''A report comparing the different funding systems for 2014-15 shows that low-income Welsh students receive the highest cost-of-living grants and incur the lowest debts to pay for their degrees. The report compares grants for various incomes across all four UK nations, plus fees and student loans.

"For the poorest third or so of full-time students, the Welsh system is particularly good, wherever those students go to study in the UK," says Lucy Hunter Blackburn, former head of higher education at the Scottish executive and author of the report for the Economic and Social Research Council's Future of the UK and Scotland programme . "They receive the greatest help with the cost of living away from home."

In Wales, students from households with incomes of less than £18,000 get a cost-of-living grant (which does not have to be paid back) of £5,161 – nearly three times as much as the same group of students in Scotland (£1,750). It is also significantly more than the maximum cost-of-living grants in England (£3,387) and Northern Ireland (£3,475). The point at which families earn too much to qualify for any grant is also highest in Wales (a household income of just over £50,000) and lowest in Scotland (£34,000).''

Good spot.

Very noticeable how they crap on Wales. Funny left-wingers.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:
I used to quite like the Greens. I liked the way they didn't have a leader, just speakers (I have a vague memory of a guy in an anorak speaking to someone from the BBC and thinking how refreshingly un-politicianlike he was, really genuine and enthusiastic!). Caroline Lucas is pretty cool too, a very effective environmentalist, a real asset to the Green movement generally. Since Natalie Bennett took over as leader, however, I've gone right off them. Suddenly they're just like all the other parties, all spin and lies and political positioning. Some may say it's worked, they've grown in membership and in the polls...but at what cost? At the moment they seem intent on stealing votes off Labour, even if it means lying about them, rather than championing left-wing politics against the hegemony of the right. If it was more a case of, we oppose the right, agree with Labour where they are on the left, but would go much further ourselves, then I would applaud them, but instead they appear to be peddling the "there're all the same" rubbish dreamed up by the right that is specifically designed to ensure anyone with even slightly left-leaning views is conned into voting for anyone but Labour, as the only party that can actually gain the majority necessary to implement any kind of left-wing agenda. But maybe I'm just getting the wrong impression. Perhaps if Natalie invested in a nice anorak she might win me over again....:)
Good luck to anyone that rubs UKIP and the LibDems noses in it. But and it's a big but, I wonder if a lot of the people joining the Greens over the last couple of weeks have done so because of Dave's using the Greens as a bargaining point in the TV debates.
In other words anti-Dave rather than pro-Green.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Miliband raises the bar again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... esday.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I do hope those youngsters listened, learned and were won over. They are our future.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
yahyah wrote:

Good spot.

Very noticeable how they crap on Wales. Funny left-wingers.

tbh I wish Labour was more like Welsh Labour.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Talking of the OBR, I found this earlier. Quite an interesting read.

http://www.instituteforgovernment.org.u ... arguments/
Pointless figures lead to pointless debates

Using deficit numbers that combine economic forecasts with a partial set of Government assumptions is like combining chalk and cheese. The final deficit number published by the OBR is neither a realistic figure based on specific government policies (in the sense that they are backed by tangible plans), nor a fair representation of what the Government says it would do if re-elected. A more transparent methodology would be to treat DEL spending in the same way as AME and tax revenue – by assuming no change to current policies and producing a forecast based on the spending needed to maintain existing levels of provision. This would be challenging but not impossible. For example, forecasts on what the NHS will need to spend to maintain current levels of service are readily available and part of the public debate.

The OBR was established to encourage a transparent and open debate about public finances in the UK. It has proved to be a success establishing itself as a vital part of our fiscal architecture. But the way its numbers are produced, as recent events show, is confusing, rather than clarifying, the public debate.
Well quite.

Portraying the OBR as independent is misleading since they're being tied to using numbers coming from the Treasury.

Edit - shame it wasn't written before that pointless vote on the deficit the other day. Balls could have used that final conclusion.
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Fri 16 Jan, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

There's a lot of hurdles to face to try to get a decent election outcome for the poorest and most vulnerable.

First get enough people to register so they can actually vote ... and even if they don't, they will at least be counted in some way re the result (absentees), and might stop the Tories fixing future constituency boundaries on a skewed in their favour basis

Second get people to actually go and vote - in the face of celebrity panning of doing so, and general anger, disengagement and misinformation

Third - try and steer a way through the misinformation and lack of knowledge to help people understand what the likely outcome/s will be - particularly in key seats - of voting in certain ways.

I have been very struck by how little knowledge people have of the political situation in their own area ... we've spent a lot of time explaining to people on the doorstep that our seat and their vote really matters this time around - it can make a difference. Many of them have no idea who the local fight is between, who can and can't win, what the difference is between the Westminster and Welsh Gov voting systems and profiles. We had a lovely conversation the other day which started off with two women (mother and daughter) who were literally seething with anger over politics and politicians - all the same, disgusting, corrupt, don't care about us ... not going to vote and don't care about them. By the time we left the daughter was considering standing for the town council - we'd had a good laugh - and I'm going to drop two voting registration forms around there and show them which box to tick to make sure their details don't go up for sale.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Anyone needing to top up their heating oil tank- have had an email from a national supplier offering it at 39.97pence ex Vat a litre. Amazingly low price.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Miliband raises the bar again.

I do hope those youngsters listened, learned and were won over. They are our future.
The buzz over in Twitter land seems positive. Doubt Clegg will be happy, as obviously part of today was about ensuring students register to vote and a sizeable part of this afternoon's audience will be Hallam resident. What a shame. :D
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Did I say there's also the lie that Westminster Labour was voting for Tory austerity too?
I've been staring at a post on the G below the line stating that very lie.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:There's a lot of hurdles to face to try to get a decent election outcome for the poorest and most vulnerable.

First get enough people to register so they can actually vote ... and even if they don't, they will at least be counted in some way re the result (absentees), and might stop the Tories fixing future constituency boundaries on a skewed in their favour basis

Second get people to actually go and vote - in the face of celebrity panning of doing so, and general anger, disengagement and misinformation

Third - try and steer a way through the misinformation and lack of knowledge to help people understand what the likely outcome/s will be - particularly in key seats - of voting in certain ways.

I have been very struck by how little knowledge people have of the political situation in their own area ... we've spent a lot of time explaining to people on the doorstep that our seat and their vote really matters this time around - it can make a difference. Many of them have no idea who the local fight is between, who can and can't win, what the difference is between the Westminster and Welsh Gov voting systems and profiles. We had a lovely conversation the other day which started off with two women (mother and daughter) who were literally seething with anger over politics and politicians - all the same, disgusting, corrupt, don't care about us ... not going to vote and don't care about them. By the time we left the daughter was considering standing for the town council - we'd had a good laugh - and I'm going to drop two voting registration forms around there and show them which box to tick to make sure their details don't go up for sale.
I know politicians exploit this. Last election the Libdem sent out some dodgy leaflets claiming that they were the only real challenge to the Tories. It was complete rubbish and borne out by the fact Labour came in on 16,216 to the Libdem 11,433 and were much closer to the Tory on 21,130, who happens to be Rees-Mogg. Now to the bit I don't understand - or sort of do, but am a bit gobsmacked by - I've just had a leaflet from Rees-Mogg and he's trying to pull the same trick. Using voting info from local council elections to try to make out the Libdems are his main contenders, not Labour. I can see what he's doing. He's trying to misdirect the anti-Tory, and in his personal case the anti-fracking, vote to the Libdems, who have never won here, rather than Labour who have an actual chance. It really winds me up, although it could be encouraging that Labour are seen as such a threat the Tories are trying to get people to vote Libdem, because they have so little confidence that they can convince people to vote for themselves!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Talking of the OBR, I found this earlier. Quite an interesting read.

Using deficit numbers that combine economic forecasts with a partial set of Government assumptions is like combining chalk and cheese. The final deficit number published by the OBR is neither a realistic figure based on specific government policies (in the sense that they are backed by tangible plans), nor a fair representation of what the Government says it would do if re-elected. A more transparent methodology would be to treat DEL spending in the same way as AME and tax revenue – by assuming no change to current policies and producing a forecast based on the spending needed to maintain existing levels of provision. This would be challenging but not impossible. For example, forecasts on what the NHS will need to spend to maintain current levels of service are readily available and part of the public debate.

The OBR was established to encourage a transparent and open debate about public finances in the UK. It has proved to be a success establishing itself as a vital part of our fiscal architecture. But the way its numbers are produced, as recent events show, is confusing, rather than clarifying, the public debate.
Well quite.

Portraying the OBR as independent is misleading since they're being tied to using numbers coming from the Treasury.

Edit - shame it wasn't written before that pointless vote on the deficit the other day. Balls could have used that final conclusion.
Simon Wren-Lewis is much more positive about the OBR's independence than you are.

Have they not improved since the early days when, as you've said, they looked like the Treasury with a new sign on the door?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Willow904 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:There's a lot of hurdles to face to try to get a decent election outcome for the poorest and most vulnerable.

I know politicians exploit this. Last election the Libdem sent out some dodgy leaflets claiming that they were the only real challenge to the Tories. It was complete rubbish and borne out by the fact Labour came in on 16,216 to the Libdem 11,433 and were much closer to the Tory on 21,130, who happens to be Rees-Mogg. Now to the bit I don't understand - or sort of do, but am a bit gobsmacked by - I've just had a leaflet from Rees-Mogg and he's trying to pull the same trick. Using voting info from local council elections to try to make out the Libdems are his main contenders, not Labour. I can see what he's doing. He's trying to misdirect the anti-Tory, and in his personal case the anti-fracking, vote to the Libdems, who have never won here, rather than Labour who have an actual chance. It really winds me up, although it could be encouraging that Labour are seen as such a threat the Tories are trying to get people to vote Libdem, because they have so little confidence that they can convince people to vote for themselves!
Jacob is just upset, living in 18th Century as he does, that that pesky Reform Act did away with the rotten boroughs.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

If I didn't have the communication with you all here I wouldn't understand a lot of the context or magnitude of policy or position that I need to know. Thank you. No kidding - today especially. I've read the documents but the connections to why it's important I read here.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Did I say there's also the lie that Westminster Labour was voting for Tory austerity too?
It's everywhere.

A Cybernatter got very excited it was in the Shropshire Star.

Complete with picture of Osborne and Balls looking pally. Doubtless one couldn't have taken a picture of Cameron and Salmond looking pally when they agreed the referendum.

Do Plaid Cymru ever ask themselves why their so friendly with the SNP when they're happy to use Wales as a punchbag, same as the Tories?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Talking of the OBR, I found this earlier. Quite an interesting read.

Well quite.

Simon Wren-Lewis is much more positive about the OBR's independence than you are.

Have they not improved since the early days when, as you've said, they looked like the Treasury with a new sign on the door?
Wait, hang on, there's a very specific criticism, or rather, limitation, inherent within the OBR's methodology - it's essential to read the entire article linked above to understand the limitation.edited to acknowledge I'd misunderstood. Apologies.
Last edited by citizenJA on Fri 16 Jan, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

One of the funniest things about that SNP crap is their talk about Labour "leaving £1bn in a Treasury account that could have been lost to Scotland".

Roughly translated, we got £1bn to spend for free.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
It's everywhere.

Complete with picture of Osborne and Balls looking pally. Doubtless one couldn't have taken a picture of Cameron and Salmond looking pally when they agreed the referendum.

Do Plaid Cymru ever ask themselves why their so friendly with the SNP when they're happy to use Wales as a punchbag, same as the Tories?
We all need to stay together if we want a fair, generally prosperous, socially democratic nation.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
It's everywhere.

Do they 'eck.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:One of the funniest things about that SNP crap is their talk about Labour "leaving £1bn in a Treasury account that could have been lost to Scotland".

So they want Tories in Westminster? What pissed off SNP about Labour? Or Labour versus SNP?

Was it many had or have largely the same goals but differ on some points of detail & since your neighbour is more accessible, easier to complain at, this is done, instead of identifying & remaining constantly aware of who's really going to get the way of achieving any or it?

It's seen in social settings all the time, the closer on the economic ladder people are with each other, they'll typically go at each other instead of the wanker at the top kicking the ladder over.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I regularly converse with Prof Colin Talbot. Tried to get him interested in the Hunt/Hill/letter.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:I've been staring at a post on the G below the line stating that very lie.
It's everywhere.

Do they 'eck.
It's vitally important they do so.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I regularly converse with Prof Colin Talbot. Tried to get him interested in the Hunt/Hill/letter.
Interesting person. Both of you.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:One of the funniest things about that SNP crap is their talk about Labour "leaving £1bn in a Treasury account that could have been lost to Scotland".

So they want Tories in Westminster? What pissed off SNP about Labour? Or Labour versus SNP?

Was it many had or have largely the same goals but differ on some points of detail & since your neighbour is more accessible, easier to complain at, this is done, instead of identifying & remaining constantly aware of who's really going to get the way of achieving any or it?

It's seen in social settings all the time, the closer on the economic ladder people are with each other, they'll typically go at each other instead of the wanker at the top kicking the ladder over.
They attack both Tory and Labour. Anything will do, if it gets more power to Holyrood and can be made into a wedge issue v the English.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Fun with another who keeps acting as though the vote this week was on Osborne's Autumn Statement.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://hackinginquiry.org/comment/beyon ... champions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kelvin MacKenzie and Rupert Murdoch have taken an initiative that is beyond parody: they have set up a consumer complaint website whose aim, according to the former Sun editor, is ‘to force companies and politicians to do the right thing’.

It’s called A Spokesman Said https://www.aspokesmansaid.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it channels and monitors complaints to big companies, more than 100 of which, including Toyota, Aviva and GoCompare, have already apparently registered.

Yet although A Spokesman Said encourages companies to take advantage of what is a ‘simple interface for you to communicate directly with customers in order to resolve their issues’ no newspaper group appears to have signed up.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Fun with another who keeps acting as though the vote this week was on Osborne's Autumn Statement.
I find referring them to the IFS quote works well, throw in a reference to ending the bedroom tax and not abolishing human rights and ending the marketisation of the NHS.

Then ask them to justify saying there is no difference between the parties.

You could also point out Osborne is committed to 33 bn of cuts, allowing for some tax increases Labour is committed to just under 10% of that total.

They don't usually go away but they do look stupid.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Fun with another who keeps acting as though the vote this week was on Osborne's Autumn Statement.
Awful to witness people who aren't responsible for or aren't a party to Osborne's Autumn Statement getting blamed as if they wrote & signed their name to it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

There was a Plaid Cymru on Twitter yesterday spreading the lie about Labour austerity cuts.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
There was a Plaid Cymru on Twitter yesterday spreading the lie about Labour austerity cuts.
Labour austerity cuts

That Labour party is such a powerful beast even when it's not in government it's government!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:
The problem all of these liars have got is that the Tory party will be spending millions convincing everybody that labour won't cut and will spend money like water.

So the Greens and the Nats might as well give it up now.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Pub Landlord v Farage: at last, a humane way to out-Ukip Ukip
Al Murray is bringing a brilliantly bonkers form of satire to the election campaign

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... kip-satire
... And so to Thanet. Quite what this poor district has done in a past life is unclear, but many of its residents must have been dreading the prospect of the next few months, in which politics will be done to them without mercy or respite. Even last October, a few months after Farage had confirmed he would stand, a portrait of Thanet in the London Review of Books found Ramsgate to be “infested with journalists”, which is the absolute worst type of infestation (infestations of MPs being largely confined to a couple of central London buildings for most of the year).

Consequently, the author of the LRB piece found himself interviewing an 18-year-old Ukip activist in a Caffè Nero beneath the nose of the producer of Benefits Street (there to make a film about Thanet). One can only imagine the London-sent horrors to be visited upon the constituency’s infrastructure once the election gets under way (and I speak as one of the horrors, obviously).

One of my fantasies is that the good burghers of Thanet will rightly judge that the media invasion is far more wantonly repulsive than anything eastern Europe can throw at them, and decline to send Mr Farage to Westminster...
By the sound of that it's going to be like a never ending political soap crossed with voyeuristic reality show and surreal farce ...

Editing to add: Just beginning to enjoy the spluttering outrage of the kippers BTL on this article ... they don't like it up em, they really don't.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Life has never been the same after they finished Time Gentlemen Please.
Release the Guardvarks.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Pub Landlord v Farage: at last, a humane way to out-Ukip Ukip
Al Murray is bringing a brilliantly bonkers form of satire to the election campaign

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... kip-satire
... And so to Thanet. Quite what this poor district has done in a past life is unclear, but many of its residents must have been dreading the prospect of the next few months, in which politics will be done to them without mercy or respite. Even last October, a few months after Farage had confirmed he would stand, a portrait of Thanet in the London Review of Books found Ramsgate to be “infested with journalists”, which is the absolute worst type of infestation (infestations of MPs being largely confined to a couple of central London buildings for most of the year).

Consequently, the author of the LRB piece found himself interviewing an 18-year-old Ukip activist in a Caffè Nero beneath the nose of the producer of Benefits Street (there to make a film about Thanet). One can only imagine the London-sent horrors to be visited upon the constituency’s infrastructure once the election gets under way (and I speak as one of the horrors, obviously).

One of my fantasies is that the good burghers of Thanet will rightly judge that the media invasion is far more wantonly repulsive than anything eastern Europe can throw at them, and decline to send Mr Farage to Westminster...
By the sound of that it's going to be like a never ending political soap crossed with voyeuristic reality show and surreal farce ...

Editing to add: Just beginning to enjoy the spluttering outrage of the kippers BTL on this article ... they don't like it up em, they really don't.
Apparently he has been getting flak from Kippers all day, many of them pointing out he isn't really working class as he went to public school!! As I said:
My irony meter has expired. @almurray is being attacked for his public school educ by ppl who have forgotten Farage went to Dulwich College.
Are these people genuinely that stupid that they've bought into Farage's long con so wholeheartedly? Rhetorical question, obviously.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From BTL on UK Polling Report - to give you all a good laugh.
NICHOLAS ELMSLIE
A rumour is going around that Tory activists are joining the Greens as fake student members for £5 in order to boost up Cameron’s argument about the debates.
If that article Ernst linked to on Conservative Home is at all accurate ... they haven't got enough Tory activists to create a ripple let alone any kind of surge ... and I'm sure they wouldn't be spending a fiver each time. Things / imaginings are getting really ridiculous very early on.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
The problem all of these liars have got is that the Tory party will be spending millions convincing everybody that labour won't cut and will spend money like water.

It's going to be more nuanced than that- see Greens suddenly getting talked up. The Greens certainly deserve more coverage than before, but noticeable how it's come suddenly. Cameron and Osborne being nice about them. They're being set up as people to take Labour votes. Ditto the SNP.

Hand of Crosby.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From the Telegraph
Is this evidence of a Tory plot to split Labour's vote? MP tells voter to back the Greens
Labour fears email from Jason McCartney, Tory MP, endorsing Green candidate is evidence of plan to split left-wing voters

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... reens.html
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Letter Re NHS in Spectator.jpg
Letter Re NHS in Spectator.jpg (71.91 KiB) Viewed 7640 times
Paddy Briggs ‏@PaddyBriggs 2h2 hours ago
Letter from a GP on the #NHS in tomorrow's @spectator . Serious food for thought.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: There was a Plaid Cymru on Twitter yesterday spreading the lie about Labour austerity cuts.

It's going to be more nuanced than that- see Greens suddenly getting talked up. The Greens certainly deserve more coverage than before, but noticeable how it's come suddenly. Cameron and Osborne being nice about them. They're being set up as people to take Labour votes. Ditto the SNP.

Hand of Crosby.
I am not convinced you can be that nuanced in an election campaign. I can see a few dirty tricks, but all the evidence is that Labour will squeeze the Green vote, rather than the other way round. The Tories are going to talk about their low tax low service economy every day they can. Remember they are trying to squeeze UKIP.

Labour are going to run a Back to the 30s negative campaign, mixed with positive messages on jobs, health, standard of living.

Best bet, get Burnham and Cooper to throw the mud and have Miliband primarily doing vision and hope...
Release the Guardvarks.