Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tish
Committee Member

Re: Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th January 2015

Post by Tish »

An awful lot of Labour voting people support assisted dying. I do, and it's a Labour peer who's currently trying to get it thought the House of Lords, although I don't what the actual party line on it is.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... e-of-lords" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think its one of those issues which has no connection to party politics to be honest.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:I guess she is referring to the fact that Labour appear content to continue with the WCA in some form or another.
That is a very ...... interesting choice of words you have used there Tizme, especially the word "content" which is, if I may say, somewhat loaded?

Labour have said, in the short/medium term, that their intention is to make changes to the WCA to make it more fit for purpose, to use it as a tool to aid rather than a stick to beat; mind you, to achieve that they need to transform the culture at the DWP, but I think there will be some major changes there early on as the active colluders & enablers who have aided the Tories in their vindictiveness are removed.

Kate Green has said that she is treating the Spartacus "Beyond the Barriers" report very seriously and is on record as saying that although
she would not want to scrap the assessment immediately, but would want to replace it as soon as possible.
https://mikesivier.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... -election/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know some, including Ephe, would like WCA scrapped immediately and a return to IB while the situation is reassessed; and I know some, like Sue Marsh, feel that it may be a case of making improvements, albeit cosmetic ones, to the current system while that reassessment goes on. I'm lucky, I'm not having to live with the realities of this process on a daily basis, I can only imagine the plunging feeling in the stomach that accompanies the arrival of that brown envelope; so I don't know all the rights and wrongs of this whole thing. But I do think that is more than a little disingenuous to use the word "content" when, quite clearly, Labour are not content with the status quo; they may not be moving quickly enough, their policies may be a little opaque at present, but I think, I hope, that real change will happen ...... if people give it a chance to happen.
Grim, as you might guess from my previous post, I am quite angry so I am in fact going to go and make a cuppa! Just thought I'd answer this though because I wanted to say if I was going to load any word in my comment you quoted, it would be 'appear'. I don't think the person who made the tweet has any real understanding of what either Labour or Greens [or probably any other party] is actually saying. I'm with Ephe on this. WCA should be scrapped immediately. People are dying ffs. I too am lucky in that it doesn't affect me - though who knows, one day it might. But either way, people dying because we can't - sorry I mean won't give them the basic support they need? Not in my fucking name.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I think relative small parties attract radical policies because they attract activists with particular policies they like, and they tend to vote each others' through.

Assisted dying isn't the a surprising thing to have. I think it'll come in the longer term, backed in some "scientific" way. Wouldn't hold it too much about the Greens for considering it.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Tizme1 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:I guess she is referring to the fact that Labour appear content to continue with the WCA in some form or another.
That is a very ...... interesting choice of words you have used there Tizme, especially the word "content" which is, if I may say, somewhat loaded?

Labour have said, in the short/medium term, that their intention is to make changes to the WCA to make it more fit for purpose, to use it as a tool to aid rather than a stick to beat; mind you, to achieve that they need to transform the culture at the DWP, but I think there will be some major changes there early on as the active colluders & enablers who have aided the Tories in their vindictiveness are removed.

Kate Green has said that she is treating the Spartacus "Beyond the Barriers" report very seriously and is on record as saying that although
she would not want to scrap the assessment immediately, but would want to replace it as soon as possible.
https://mikesivier.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... -election/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know some, including Ephe, would like WCA scrapped immediately and a return to IB while the situation is reassessed; and I know some, like Sue Marsh, feel that it may be a case of making improvements, albeit cosmetic ones, to the current system while that reassessment goes on. I'm lucky, I'm not having to live with the realities of this process on a daily basis, I can only imagine the plunging feeling in the stomach that accompanies the arrival of that brown envelope; so I don't know all the rights and wrongs of this whole thing. But I do think that is more than a little disingenuous to use the word "content" when, quite clearly, Labour are not content with the status quo; they may not be moving quickly enough, their policies may be a little opaque at present, but I think, I hope, that real change will happen ...... if people give it a chance to happen.
Grim, as you might guess from my previous post, I am quite angry so I am in fact going to go and make a cuppa! Just thought I'd answer this though because I wanted to say if I was going to load any word in my comment you quoted, it would be 'appear'. I don't think the person who made the tweet has any real understanding of what either Labour or Greens [or probably any other party] is actually saying. I'm with Ephe on this. WCA should be scrapped immediately. People are dying ffs. I too am lucky in that it doesn't affect me - though who knows, one day it might. But either way, people dying because we can't - sorry I mean won't give them the basic support they need? Not in my fucking name.
Enjoy your cuppa.

Forget it. Just my depression talking. Probably best I take a rest.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@TheGrimSqueaker

Have a good rest.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW

Making comments about particular party policies are sometimes taken as attacks against people who support that party.

I happen to be a Labour Party member,I divorce myself from comments made about them,this also allows me to be critical about the Party where I feel it is justified.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Late to the party, as usual, but you'll find me in the kitchen making cuppas for any who want one. Having been out of touch with news, politics, etc., during the past nine days, I am slowly catching up with some of what has happened and regaining my bearings.

My life has changed - it has a habit of doing that - but I'm still standing (mostly sitting) and moving into the next phase. Love to you all, my friends. :hug:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...