Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Spacedone
Whip

Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th January 2015

Post by Spacedone »

Morning all.

Very cold out there today but the wind has stopped at least.

A nice shredding of the Cameron/May idiot proposal to ban strong encryption on the internet from none other than Conservative Home. The comments BTL are equally negative.

Andrew Bower: The encryption ban makes us look like the Thick Party
http://www.conservativehome.com/platfor ... party.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The latest evolution of the zombie snoopers’ charter policy reaches new heights of technical absurdity. Previously the main objections to the Communications Data Bill were based around civil liberties alongside a heavy cost to Internet Service Providers who would need to change their business model to become arms of the state, with only relatively limited technical concerns. But the technical implications of the encryption ban are so wide-reaching the policy would be a joke in the technical community if it weren’t a serious proposal by a party of government.
Spacedone
Whip

Re: Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th January 2015

Post by Spacedone »

Another day, another cock-up at HMRC.

Millions with multiple incomes at risk of shock tax bills
Taxpayers are being warned to check their tax codes for HMRC errors
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... bills.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Up to three million people with more than one source of income face backdated tax bills of £2,000 per year because of errors by HM Revenue & Customs.

Among those most likely to be affected are veterans who have taken a civilian job after leaving the Armed Forces, but who also draw a military pension. Pensioners with two pensions and those who have continued to work part-time after retirement are also more likely to be hit.
It seems that if you make loads of your workforce redundant and the rest are demoralised and having to work harder to compensate then they make mistakes. Who could have seen that coming?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Spacedone

Morning.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Spacedone

Morning.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

David Cameron pleads with business to save his bacon by giving their workers wage rises and paying the living wage to the lowest paid.

David Cameron calls for wage increases in wake of oil price slump
Prime minister says growing profits should result in wage rises, as the Tories look to combat Ed Miliband over cost of living
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... d-miliband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know how long this fall in oil prices is going to last but I seriously doubt any business is going to start handing out large wage increases because of it, especially when CPI is now so low that deflation is a potential risk.

But since Cameron effectively employs about 5.5 million public sector workers I look forward to him giving us all a nice big pay rise if everything is so profitable now. :toss:
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Morning HindleA,

I think everyone else is sensibly still :sleep:
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

This is beginning to look awfully like gerrymandering.

Letters oversight blamed for missing voters
Council officers says letters designed by Electoral Commission and Cabinet Office omitted section on near-18-year-olds
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ing-voters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Labour leader cited figures from the December 2014 electoral register as evidence of missing voters, many of them students in university towns.

But local government leaders said one previously unknown cause of the fall may have been the failure of the Cabinet Office and Electoral Commission to ask councils to ensure households informed them of anyone who turns 18 in 2015.
This month the Cabinet Office set aside nearly £10m for councils to launch local registration drives, and it is now expected that councils will try to rectify the error about younger voters. In most cases the extra funding will not cover the cost of sending an extra letter to voters.
The Conservatives say they would redraw the constituency boundaries in time for the 2020 election on the basis of an electoral register frozen in December 2015
So... letters to households that don't ask about anyone about to turn 18, councils who are already on their knees over funding being expected to pay the cost of sending out letters about voter registration and the Tories saying they're going to redraw constituencies on the back of an electoral register that has seen as much as 1 in 10 voters disappeared.

:fire:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Spacedone wrote:David Cameron pleads with business to save his bacon by giving their workers wage rises and paying the living wage to the lowest paid.

David Cameron calls for wage increases in wake of oil price slump
Prime minister says growing profits should result in wage rises, as the Tories look to combat Ed Miliband over cost of living
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... d-miliband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know how long this fall in oil prices is going to last but I seriously doubt any business is going to start handing out large wage increases because of it, especially when CPI is now so low that deflation is a potential risk.

But since Cameron effectively employs about 5.5 million public sector workers I look forward to him giving us all a nice big pay rise if everything is so profitable now. :toss:
Morning all.

Yes this point about public sector pay is an excellent one! Perhaps a MSM interviewer will raise this point? :lol:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tories should fear Miliband - Patten http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30860010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Behind the bravado, bluster and spin to the press I half expect this is to be Osborne's and Cameron's opinion too.

Can you imagine the media uproar if Brown had an ex BBC bod like Llewellyn in his circle and was ducking the debates after previously bigging them up?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

StephenDolan wrote:Tories should fear Miliband - Patten http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30860010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Behind the bravado, bluster and spin to the press I half expect this is to be Osborne's and Cameron's opinion too.

Can you imagine the media uproar if Brown had an ex BBC bod like Llewellyn in his circle and was ducking the debates after previously bigging them up?
I think they do fear him. Why else would they and the right-wing media have spent every year since he became leader trying to convince everyone that he is useless and should be replaced? If he were as bad as the smear campaigns portray him to be then they should be delighted and shouldn't be trying to get him replaced by someone "better".

Sadly the smear campaigns seem to have had some effect when you hear left-wingers parroting something they've read in a tabloid run by people who are essentially the media wing of the Conservative Party.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Spacedone wrote:This is beginning to look awfully like gerrymandering.

So... letters to households that don't ask about anyone about to turn 18, councils who are already on their knees over funding being expected to pay the cost of sending out letters about voter registration and the Tories saying they're going to redraw constituencies on the back of an electoral register that has seen as much as 1 in 10 voters disappeared.

The electoral registration form has always had a section asking you to include young people who will turn 18 before the next register is made up. I didn't notice anything on the stuff we were sent, but it sounds like they didn't simply forget to put something in, they actively took something out.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

Morning all!

Citizen JA wrote:
So they want Tories in Westminster? What pissed off SNP about Labour? Or Labour versus SNP?

I picked up this exchange from yesterday and thought I'd be able to partially answer the question...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... rdoch.html

Her comments followed heated exchanges with a BBC interviewer during which she accused the Corporation of sharing Labour’s political agenda by raising examples of the First Minister’s close relationship with Mr Murdoch.

Tellingly, Miss Sturgeon was the first SNP minister to defend Mr Salmond on radio or TV since the storm over his relationship with Mr Murdoch broke four days ago.

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2014/09 ... d-s-indepe

But Murdoch's trip to Scotland last week was just the latest stage in a long friendship between the two men, in which back-room efforts to help Murdoch's business goals coincide with favourable media coverage.

The putrid bile-ridden Murkydochian tentacles are very very long and very very well embedded....and to echo another comment from a few day ago referring to 'conspiracy theories' and their potential post-Leveson validity I've always subscribed to the view that 'just because I'm paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get me'. Conspiracies like the Bilderbergers and a New World Order through the Illuminati may seem far fetched and irrational....until you scratch the surface and try to uncover any deeper connectivity or information...so as the saying goes, if you've nothing to hide etc.

The entire MSM are united against Mr Ed and Labour because of Leveson and the potential for Leveson2 - and because they can't seem to shift Mr Ed - that has never happened before - no politician since 1979 has held office without being controlled by someone with the Murkydochian 'green light' (you could argue Major, but he was the compromise candidate for Tory Leader as it became obvious the Murdochs' man was going to lose to Heseltine - which we could not have now, could we - so up pops an ex-Fettes/Oxford chancer with an excellent line of patter (and, with the Charles Lynton connection, some 'dirty washing') to 'modernise' the Labour party (and be Uncle Ruperts' friend, confidante, childrens godparent and wife-comforter))....the rest (Brown, Kinnock, Foot et al) are trashed by history whist Bliar etc are 'respected' as 'elder statesmen/women', having continued the Thatcherite anti-human societal destruction.

Having written that, I'm aware it's a bit of a ramble (quelle surprise :oops: ) so hope it makes at least a little bit of sense :oops:
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

On the whole Green vs Labour thing....I think what's upset Labour voters (and potential Labour voters) about the Greens (speaking for myself personally now) is the 'mind-wall'. (I couldn't think of another way to describe it, but what I mean is that when people (from all political persuasions) attack Mr Ed and Labour, they do so from a position of absolute certainty, with no possible room for anything other than their own 'valid truths').

'Labour are the same as the rest' - patently not true.

'Miliband is weak/the wrong brother/looks funny' - explain Leveson/TTWNN/Syria etc etc

I think the fear emanates from the top (and I mean the 'top' - not their bought and paid for corporate representatives in Westmonster (of which, yes, some are Labour) and their position is becoming more and more indefensible - their control of the media and the message is leading to every possible weapon being turned on Miliband, including now, the Greens. For Caroline Lucas (for whom I have a great deal of respect) to cosy-up to Gidiot, when she is obviously fully aware of what he and his cohorts have done, is out of character, to say the least.

The point for me is this - the truth is that only 2 people can become the next Prime Minister - Miliband or Cameron - not Farage, Clegg, Salmond or Bennett...so you're either with them (Labour) and the start at least, of the return of sanity to national politics, or not...and, if not, by extension, you are for Cameron. My apologies, as I do not wish to offend anyone, but if you are not for Cameron, you have to start accepting the truth about Labour (not the Murkydochian hype) and attack the current Government....and, lest we forget, the Greens have that opportunity, as, unlike UKIP until some Tory loyalty showed up, they have representation in Parliament.
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Lucy Powell, Ed Miliband's election guru: ‘You’ve just got to get on with the job’
As Labour’s campaign chief, Lucy Powell has a lot on her plate. And it doesn’t help when one of your own side is ‘probably’ out to get you

http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/ ... manchester
A John Harris interview in which Lucy Powell comes across as interesting and genuine ... but it still has the Harris 'side' which has become evident of late.
Working on the wild side.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Greens have now "officially" overtaken the LibDems in membership and could be about to hit 50k in the next week or so.

Which makes what their leading figures say all the more important, arguably.

As somebody who has long admired Caroline Lucas, I am very disappointed with the line she has taken recently and agree it could have been scripted by Crosby himself.

Sort it out :twisted:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Why have the BBC interviewed the Chair of BBC governors on the chances of the Conservative party beating Labour, and who the Conservative party should be afraid of? Seems a bit odd, a bit biased...Will there be similar advice on who Labour should 'fear' and how they can go about winning?

Patton is the man behind the lying 'tax bombshell' campaign of the 92 election. Now he is playing a part in this one.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

adam wrote:
Spacedone wrote:This is beginning to look awfully like gerrymandering.

The electoral registration form has always had a section asking you to include young people who will turn 18 before the next register is made up. I didn't notice anything on the stuff we were sent, but it sounds like they didn't simply forget to put something in, they actively took something out.
Has to be hoped that - perish the thought - if the Conservatives get back into government and try to enact the boundary changes on the basis of this 'frozen' electoral register - there will be an argument to legally challenge said move and the time to do so won't have expired. The relevant group to challenge will have to be very ready for when an actual decision is made to do so and get their challenge in quick. The fact that the information sent around to households hasn't been complete re the 18 year olds info and then again in informing people that this electoral roll will be used as the basis for significant future changes ... that could lead to a big drop in the number of representatives for say Wales ... ought to provide some kind of case I'd have thought.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Following on from Rebecca2s comments about Rees-Mogg telling people to vote LibDem rather than Labour I tweeted it. Heartening to hear back from the Labour candidate :D

Diane Rayburn ‏@dimayray 15 hrs15 hours ago
Rees-Mogg using voting info from local council elections to try to make out the Libdems are his main contenders when in fact it's Labour.

More
Todd Foreman ‏@ToddDForeman 11 mins11 minutes ago
@dimayray I haven't found anyone on the doorstep who is falling for it and most people have ruled out voting Libdem in any event.

Tubby asked why

More
Diane Rayburn ‏@dimayray 15 hrs15 hours ago
@Tubby_Isaacs He supports fracking. Running scared I'd say.

More
Chris Manners ‏@Tubby_Isaacs 15 hrs15 hours ago
@dimayray Is the Labour candidate against fracking?

More
Todd Foreman ‏@ToddDForeman 14 mins14 minutes ago
@Tubby_Isaacs @dimayray Yes, I am opposed to allowing fracking in North East Somerset: http://www.todd4nesomerset.com/issues" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Sticky99
Backbencher

Post by Sticky99 »

Morning all,

I find David Cameron’s resistance to televised election debates ridiculous and hypocritical. This is a man who repeatedly pushed for the debates when in opposition; he was banking on wiping the floor with Gordon Brown because the latter was politically finished, and Dave’s PR fluff would see him through. That didn’t happen, in fact Dave looked timid, almost nervous on the last election debates and gave a platform to Clegg and Brown didn’t fare as badly as expected.

You can’t just shun an idea you previously championed because it suddenly doesn’t suit you. Cameron’s excuse that Labour won’t be heckled by their protest left-wing party, whereas the Tories will be heckled by their right-wing protest party is nonsense. UKIP are a far bigger problem for the Tories than the Green party is for Labour.

Journo’s in the political bubble will of course try and say that the Greens are a serious threat for Labour. They do speak from the left of Labour indeed, but their appeal is far too niche imo. Elections are not decided on minority issues like the environmental, as a left of centre voter it isn’t my priority either. Not that I have a total disregard for the environment, but unfortunately a lot of green initiatives end up as extra taxation that the richer electorate can afford, but the poorer electorate that the Green party preaches about can’t afford the extra taxation.

Farage would threaten Cameron significantly on a televised debate because he rants and blithers on in a populist fashion about issues that right-wing voters care about. In comparison Bennett just wouldn’t have that domineering presence that Farage would have. Farage would taunt Cameron on EU migration, something the latter knows he can’t do much about, and Farage would depict Cameron as a liar over his EU referendum pledge (which would actually be true).

Lynton Crosby and the Tories’ general panicky response over the election debates is as telling as anything, you don’t see Labour trying to wriggle out of the debates. If Cameron’s claim about the Greens affecting Labour were true, you’d see Labour refusing to participate because the Greens would participate – this isn’t happening. Deep down, Cameron’s worst nightmare would be to face Farage in the debates, having to counter his rightwing rival rather than speak on a broader basis.

I personally enjoyed the TV election debates in 2010. They clearly captured an audience that doesn’t often engage in politics based upon the high viewing figures. It clearly wasn’t just the politically-interested Question Time and Newsnight crowd watching the debates. The debates added a new dimension to the election debates, and Miliband might well fair well from the debates. The NHS is unraveling in all sorts of areas under the Tories; from A&E capacity, over-stretched doctor surgeries, private contractors pulling out, a lack of hospital beds.

Miliband should smear the Tories as much as possible on the NHS, whilst also reinforcing core policies like the living wage, revising or scrapping Universal Credit, cutting business rates and corporation tax for SME’s (to counter the claim that Labour is anti-business) and a greater focus on vocational education. We desperately need more skilled engineers, and if Miliband can articulate a vision of a high-skilled workforce in a modern economy to parents, this could be part of a strong economic plan that Labour puts forward.

Miliband is a great intellect, but occasionally he does have a tendency to speak about complicated matters with sophisticated words and language when not needed imo. Whilst he might undoubtedly be correct in what he says, he needs to articulate core policies in a short time-frame. Zero-hour contracts are not an issue for everyone, so he should instead argue for greater workplace protections for everyone. This will be a retail pledge for all party leaders, and Cameron will bang on about a long-term economic plan, a secure future, EU referendum and other buzz-terms to voters – Miliband equally needs to succinctly state his plans to the public.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Stephen Bush ‏@stephenkb 26m26 minutes ago Camden Town, London
Ed Miliband says people are "choking on their cornflakes" at the PM's "Britain needs a pay rise" line. #fab15

Mark Ferguson ‏@Markfergusonuk 27m27 minutes ago
Ed Miliband’s #fab15 speech in a tweet “Dave, you’ve made a total hash of this cost of living stuff. People are skint and you’ve done nowt.”
:lol: at the cornflakes line
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Morning all. Dashing off soon to have a lovely winter vegetable lunch but ..

@Tizme1 - You're right.

I am living in fear of votes being lost by Labour. To lose them most unfairly because of lies and propaganda from someone I hitherto had quite a bundle of respect for ..... won't say anymore on that.

In answer to your question - posed as it was so that I could only muster one answer when you know how fiercely hopeful I am that anyone will rid me of this bloody vile monster called a government - I'd like you to get your votes when ever you like AFTER THIS ELECTION (but preferably after the Tories and LibDems have been wiped out for ever and I am dead and ashes) - because if the bastards get in this time it will not be a country I will live in.

You're entitled to your opinions and hopes, just as I am. And, as I said last night, I am pissed off at Caroline Lucas and am not going change my opinion now. Just as I don't expect you to change your opinion.

The world goes around regardless of us - but it's not one I'll like if Tory/LibDem Orange Buckers get to finish off what they started - with the Greens telling barefaced lies to help them attack Labour.

Edited to add - I actually like being called a "tribalist" - in fact, I regard it as an award ceremony. :D :D
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Greens have now "officially" overtaken the LibDems in membership and could be about to hit 50k in the next week or so.

As somebody who has long admired Caroline Lucas, I am very disappointed with the line she has taken recently and agree it could have been scripted by Crosby himself.

Morning all, we have snow. Hmm, I liked it for an hour or two - now I want it to go away!

Anatoly, we actually passed both UKIP and the Lib Dems on Thursday. I'm hoping we'll hit 50k this weekend but that might be pushing it a bit. Can I ask, what exactly do you want from Caroline? She is a Green MP not a Labour one. The Greens are a separate party - why shouldn't we articulate our alternative view? I understand the fear that an increase in Green votes, could let Cameron in [though our supporters/members aren't necessarily coming from Labour voters]. Greens across the country are aware of this. Often we are asked to vote Labour for this very reason and what is the result when we do lend our vote to Labour? Ofcom saying we aren't a main stream party, and broadcasters refusing to include us in debates.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

giselle97 wrote:Morning all. Dashing off soon to have a lovely winter vegetable lunch but ..

@Tizme1 - You're right.

I am living in fear of votes being lost by Labour. To lose them most unfairly because of lies and propaganda from someone I hitherto had quite a bundle of respect for ..... won't say anymore on that.

In answer to your question - posed as it was so that I could only muster one answer when you know how fiercely hopeful I am that anyone will rid me of this bloody vile monster called a government - I'd like you to get your votes when ever you like AFTER THIS ELECTION (but preferably after the Tories and LibDems have been wiped out for ever and I am dead and ashes) - because if the bastards get in this time it will not be a country I will live in.

You're entitled to your opinions and hopes, just as I am. And, as I said last night, I am pissed off at Caroline Lucas and am not going change my opinion now. Just as I don't expect you to change your opinion.

The world goes around regardless of us - but it's not one I'll like if Tory/LibDem Orange Buckers get to finish off what they started - with the Greens telling barefaced lies to help them attack Labour.

Edited to add - I actually like being called a "tribalist" - in fact, I regard it as an award ceremony. :D :D
*chuckle* @ 'award ceremony'.

As I've said many a time, Greens are aware of this dilemma. I'm sure many will vote Labour in May where they feel it can make the difference. But at some stage there will be a tipping point where more Green voters refuse to do that because it back fires on us when it comes to being given consideration as a main stream party.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

giselle97 wrote:Morning all. Dashing off soon to have a lovely winter vegetable lunch but ..

@Tizme1 - You're right.

Sorry, forgot to say, I don't accept Caroline was telling bare faced lies but obviously we're not going to agree on that so I won't dwell on it.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

What I ask, Tizme, is that the Greens criticise Labour intelligently and constructively - and not cynically push the "there is absolutely no difference between Labour and the ConDems" meme, something that merely spreads despair and disillusion and thus only benefits the right.

The vote in the HoC wasn't about "endorsing austerity" (it was just a silly stunt by Osborne, in truth) and there are real and significant differences between Labour's economic plans and those of the government. I have been highly critical of Balls recently, but cannot really fault the line he took this week.

Again, by all means disagree with Labour's plans - but do so with what they are *actually* proposing, not some caricature that serves short term partisan interests.

After all, we might need to work together in the future? ;)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tizme1 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Greens have now "officially" overtaken the LibDems in membership and could be about to hit 50k in the next week or so.

Morning all, we have snow. Hmm, I liked it for an hour or two - now I want it to go away!

Anatoly, we actually passed both UKIP and the Lib Dems on Thursday. I'm hoping we'll hit 50k this weekend but that might be pushing it a bit. Can I ask, what exactly do you want from Caroline? She is a Green MP not a Labour one. The Greens are a separate party - why shouldn't we articulate our alternative view? I understand the fear that an increase in Green votes, could let Cameron in [though our supporters/members aren't necessarily coming from Labour voters]. Greens across the country are aware of this. Often we are asked to vote Labour for this very reason and what is the result when we do lend our vote to Labour? Ofcom saying we aren't a main stream party, and broadcasters refusing to include us in debates.
Totally jealous about your snow. We had six flakes....
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:What I ask, Tizme, is that the Greens criticise Labour intelligently and constructively - and not cynically push the "there is absolutely no difference between Labour and the ConDems" meme, something that merely spreads despair and disillusion and thus only benefits the right.

The vote in the HoC wasn't about "endorsing austerity" (it was just a silly stunt by Osborne, in truth) and there are real and significant differences between Labour's economic plans and those of the government. I have been highly critical of Balls recently, but cannot really fault the line he took this week.

Again, by all means disagree with Labour's plans - but do so with what they are *actually* proposing, not some caricature that serves short term partisan interests.

I agree this was a stunt by Osborne. A pretty piss poor 'trap' for Labour. In political/tactical terms [from the point of view of Labour], I think Miliband made the right choice. In making that choice, he will have been fully aware that the Greens, Plaid, and SNP would attack him for it. In voting with the government [regardless of the actual vote being meaningless really], Labour were saying they agree with the need for austerity. As Greens, we oppose that - hence Caroline's tweets. Twitter doesn't really allow for much nuance does it. Besides, as I say, we absolutely disagree with the Tories and Labour about the need for austerity, regardless of their different approaches. That said, Natalie has already said that as a party, we couldn't work with the Tories but we could work with Labour. I hope that does come to pass.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:

Totally jealous about your snow. We had six flakes....
I was going to post a picture in response Ohso but realise I don't have a clue how to do it! It's stopped and isn't settling now anyway.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

On a lighter note, our friend NickyB is becoming more hilarious by the hour......

Today in the "Cameron in a huff about people being bothered about the debates" thread over there, he asserts Lab/LibDem/UKIP don't want the Greens because they are led by a woman, ergo in all seriousness claiming Dave is a good feminist as well as democrat :D

He also tells us, as usual, that Miliband would be totally absolutely utterly destroyed by the PM in any debates. WHY IS HE DESPERATE TO AVOID THEM, THEN??

This comes after his bald claim yesterday that the cost of living crisis was "over" and that Labour's campaigning on it had "failed". Is that why Cameron is saying we should all get a pay rise today, then?

Great timing, even for him :lol:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Tizme1 wrote:That said, Natalie has already said that as a party, we couldn't work with the Tories but we could work with Labour. I hope that does come to pass.
Sounds like a plan, I think Ed could work well with the Greens. But I'll still be happier with a Labour majority.

As for Osborne and his traps, even Wily Coyote is more skilled than Gideon.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:On a lighter note, our friend NickyB is becoming more hilarious by the hour......

Today in the "Cameron in a huff about people being bothered about the debates" thread over there, he asserts Lab/LibDem/UKIP don't want the Greens because they are led by a woman, ergo in all seriousness claiming Dave is a good feminist as well as democrat :D

He also tells us, as usual, that Miliband would be totally absolutely utterly destroyed by the PM in any debates. WHY IS HE DESPERATE TO AVOID THEM, THEN??

This comes after his bald claim yesterday that the cost of living crisis was "over" and that Labour's campaigning on it had "failed". Is that why Cameron is saying we should all get a pay rise today, then?

Great timing, even for him :lol:
Be fair AK. It must be really hard for NickyB and his fellow Tory shills to stay on message when Cameron says the first thing that comes to mind, regardless of how contradictory it is compared to what he said yesterday [or half an hour ago for that matter].
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tizme1 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:What I ask, Tizme, is that the Greens criticise Labour intelligently and constructively - and not cynically push the "there is absolutely no difference between Labour and the ConDems" meme, something that merely spreads despair and disillusion and thus only benefits the right.

I agree this was a stunt by Osborne. A pretty piss poor 'trap' for Labour. In political/tactical terms [from the point of view of Labour], I think Miliband made the right choice. In making that choice, he will have been fully aware that the Greens, Plaid, and SNP would attack him for it. In voting with the government [regardless of the actual vote being meaningless really], Labour were saying they agree with the need for austerity. As Greens, we oppose that - hence Caroline's tweets. Twitter doesn't really allow for much nuance does it. Besides, as I say, we absolutely disagree with the Tories and Labour about the need for austerity, regardless of their different approaches. That said, Natalie has already said that as a party, we couldn't work with the Tories but we could work with Labour. I hope that does come to pass.
I apologise for saying this, but you don't really believe that as soon as the Tories are gone austerity will magically end do you? Or that if the Greens Plaid or SNP ended up with a majority they could make it all better just like that?
Such a simplistic view of the state the Tories have got this country into, doesn't stand up.

It's going to take years to pull us out of the pit, and there'll probably be a need to raise taxes and NI. I'd be looking at Ed with a very wary eye if he was promising it was all going to be lovely in the garden as soon as he got in.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Labour were saying they agree with the need for austerity. As Greens, we oppose that - hence Caroline's tweets. Twitter doesn't really allow for much nuance does it.
The charter is about the current budget only though, and it's an aim to wipe it out only, and in a loosely defined 3rd year of a cycle. The economy hits a problem, and you can disregard it.

There's no way you can get £30bn of cuts from that. You could in theory do the uber Keynsian thing of borrowing loads for investment, which would get unemployment down and tax revenues up. HS2, if that starts on time in 2017, which I don't think needs to (even though I support it) could be started at both ends or something.

As it happens, Labour have some already announced cuts for 2015-6, which are bad, though I can see why they announced them. If they continue investment as the less than spectacular current rate, they'll be making cuts of £7bn from 2016-7 compared to Osborne's £30bn.

I think the "we oppose austerity" is absolutely fair, and sensible (though would lead to problems without growth). It was taking Osborne's figure and script ("vote for anyone but Labour" that got me. Note no mention of the SDLP, who are opposed to. Also naive to take pro-business tax-cutters the SNP at their word too.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I think Labour would find it hard to work with the Greens in national politics. Local government though should be no problem at all, and I gather Labour in Brighton have a rightwing "Progress" leader who has not been cooperative.

Same sort of thing in Tower Hamlets, where the idea that Lutfur Rahman (who used to lead Labour locally) is some lefty Islamist loony has been embraced with relish.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:I agree this was a stunt by Osborne. A pretty piss poor 'trap' for Labour. In political/tactical terms [from the point of view of Labour], I think Miliband made the right choice. In making that choice, he will have been fully aware that the Greens, Plaid, and SNP would attack him for it. In voting with the government [regardless of the actual vote being meaningless really], Labour were saying they agree with the need for austerity. As Greens, we oppose that - hence Caroline's tweets. Twitter doesn't really allow for much nuance does it. Besides, as I say, we absolutely disagree with the Tories and Labour about the need for austerity, regardless of their different approaches. That said, Natalie has already said that as a party, we couldn't work with the Tories but we could work with Labour. I hope that does come to pass.
Do the Greens agree with the need to bring the deficit down? I'd be interested to see how they intend to do it if so - entirely on economic growth or some other way? If not, I'd be interested to see how they intend to run the economy. I mean this genuinely - no one wants to see an alternative to capitalism more than me.
The problem with relying on growth is that Green policies don't promote it. Post-growth is interesting, and has a lot to be said for it- ie we'd stop producing sports cars, which nobody needs. But debts are going to weigh very heavily without growth.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I think it is more that the remaining Labour councillors in B&H nearly all represent traditional WWC districts, the "trendy" areas that would mostly vote Labour in G London or G Manchester having gone Green almost en masse. There is a rather extreme form of culture clash there that might not be repeated elsewhere.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

You want to know why Cameron went to America?

Here's the answer.

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/l ... -1-7051571" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chesterfield and the Peaks are set for a 1,300 jobs boost thanks to a £400million tourism development which will be announced by the Prime Minister during his tour of America this week, the Derbyshire Times can reveal.
The Peaks? As in the Peak District?
Yep.

That's a National Park, isn't it?
Yes it is.

Won't some people have something to say about this being built right on the edge of it?
I think they will

Has it got planning permission?
Don't be silly.

One of the comments points out there have been grand schemes announced for nearby before.
The other comment points out that the article is pure churnalism.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:

I apologise for saying this, but you don't really believe that as soon as the Tories are gone austerity will magically end do you? Or that if the Greens Plaid or SNP ended up with a majority they could make it all better just like that?
Such a simplistic view of the state the Tories have got this country into, doesn't stand up.

It's going to take years to pull us out of the pit, and there'll probably be a need to raise taxes and NI. I'd be looking at Ed with a very wary eye if he was promising it was all going to be lovely in the garden as soon as he got in.
There is no need to apologise for saying what you think Ohso. I'm a Green not a Kipper. ;)

No - austerity won't be gone once the Tories are gone. Because Labour believe in Austerity politics too though I acknowledge their approach is different to the Tories. And no, I don't believe a Green government would magically make it all better in an instant. But more important than what I think, the Green Party manifesto explicitly acknowledges that it will take many years to create the society we envisage.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

“We have a tendency in the UK to think that the UK is different and special, Britannia contra mundum,” he says. He dismisses the notion as “not true.”
The speaker is Cameron's man in Europe, Lord Hill.

Actually, he's saying it as part of a sensible argument- that lots of the EU governments think as the British Government does on deregulation, trade etc.

But the DT chose to report it as "Lord Hill: Britain should not think it is 'different and special' in Europe"

Swivel eyed loons already muttering about going native.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... urope.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

@Tubby
Has it got planning permission?
Don't be silly.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know we're 17 days into the New Year, but I'm voting this the put down of 2014.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Cheers. I was in Guardian Pass Notes mode there.

Jobs created by new developments are always nonsense anyway.

Think the big problem for Labour is going to be Chilcott. Even though Miliband was an opponent of Iraq, it'll hit them (and fair enough, really). Given the strategy of peeling off Labour support to the Greens and SNP, it's a heck of an asset for Crosby. Will come out just before the election campaign starts.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Written by the bloke from the Justice for Men and Boys Party.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

He's written this as well, you may not be surprised to hear.

Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:I agree this was a stunt by Osborne. A pretty piss poor 'trap' for Labour. In political/tactical terms [from the point of view of Labour], I think Miliband made the right choice. In making that choice, he will have been fully aware that the Greens, Plaid, and SNP would attack him for it. In voting with the government [regardless of the actual vote being meaningless really], Labour were saying they agree with the need for austerity. As Greens, we oppose that - hence Caroline's tweets. Twitter doesn't really allow for much nuance does it. Besides, as I say, we absolutely disagree with the Tories and Labour about the need for austerity, regardless of their different approaches. That said, Natalie has already said that as a party, we couldn't work with the Tories but we could work with Labour. I hope that does come to pass.
Do the Greens agree with the need to bring the deficit down? I'd be interested to see how they intend to do it if so - entirely on economic growth or some other way? If not, I'd be interested to see how they intend to run the economy. I mean this genuinely - no one wants to see an alternative to capitalism more than me.
The Green Party have such an alternative view that the question kind of becomes redundant I think. That said, obviously Greens accept the deficit can't just be ignored. The following is what was in the Green 2010 manifesto;

Our programme has to be paid for, and we accept that the Government borrowing of 12% of GDP is unsustainable. Like the Government, we would aim to more than halve the deficit by 2013, and the programme of taxation and spending in this manifesto is designed to achieve that.
• Raise taxation from its current very low level of only 36% of GDP – for example it exceeded 40% in all Mrs Thatcher’s years in office.The fiscal gap is not caused by too much public spending but by taxation dropping to unacceptably low levels.
• Ensure that those most able to pay bear their fair share, and introduce a much-needed increase in environmental taxation.
• Regulate the financial sector more strictly, preferably at the international or EU level, but if necessary just in the UK. In particular, separate retail from investment banking.
• Support new institutions like a green investment bank and local community banks in the financial sector, and new ways of investing in the green economy, such as green national savings bonds.
• Reverse the trend towards an economy ever more dependent on financial services, and build a new and sustainable agricultural and manufacturing base to the economy.
• Protect basic public services, which are the foundation of an equitable society. Modest efficiency savings may be possible(perhaps £2–3bn, or 0.25% over the entire public service each year, and in particular by improving energy efficiency in schools and hospitals), but nothing on the scale relied upon by the other parties to make their figures add up. Cuts to health and education services will hit the poorest and most vulnerable first. We must help the poorest pensioners and children in particular.
• Abandon gross domestic product as the key measure of economic success, and seek instead to increase our overall welfare.
• Encourage greater sharing of intellectual property by reducing, but not abandoning, levels of patent and copyright protection. In particular we would legalise peer to peer copying where it is not done as a business and make it impossible to patent broad software and cultural ideas.

Below is a link to Green Party Economic Policy. Be warned - its a long read. Realistically, it would take many years to bring it all about. The Green Party approach is holistic so it's difficult to consider one policy area without taking into account all other policies.

http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/ec.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by refitman on Sat 17 Jan, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: fixed formatting
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I think Labour would find it hard to work with the Greens in national politics. Local government though should be no problem at all, and I gather Labour in Brighton have a rightwing "Progress" leader who has not been cooperative.

Same sort of thing in Tower Hamlets, where the idea that Lutfur Rahman (who used to lead Labour locally) is some lefty Islamist loony has been embraced with relish.
Sadly, Labour in Brighton have frequently voted with the Tories to block the Greens. Here in Watford, I work with the two labour councillors for the ward Farm Terrace allotments are in and we have a good working relationship. Likewise in the ward I'll be standing in, we work with the Labour councillor. Mind you, that's because I invited him to meetings I had set up. I doubt very much he would return the compliment. And I doubt they'd work with us if we were in control of Watford Council.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

@Tizme - I have tweaked the formatting of the manifesto extract.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Hang on, that's pretty fearsome austerity there in 2010. Raising percentage of tax taken by 4 points. That's back into recession stuff.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Ooh, got sleet/snow here. Hope it doesn't settle, I'll never get up the road.

Edited to add: ah, no. It's stopped.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Tizme1 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:I think Labour would find it hard to work with the Greens in national politics. Local government though should be no problem at all, and I gather Labour in Brighton have a rightwing "Progress" leader who has not been cooperative.

Sadly, Labour in Brighton have frequently voted with the Tories to block the Greens. Here in Watford, I work with the two labour councillors for the ward Farm Terrace allotments are in and we have a good working relationship. Likewise in the ward I'll be standing in, we work with the Labour councillor. Mind you, that's because I invited him to meetings I had set up. I doubt very much he would return the compliment. And I doubt they'd work with us if we were in control of Watford Council.
It depends what the votes are on rather- governing groups put stuff forward, and oppositions oppose. If Lucas had been an MP before 2010, she'd have voted with the Tories on tons and tons, as the SNP doubtless did.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

refitman wrote:@Tizme - I have tweaked the formatting of the manifesto extract.
Thank you. :)