Monday 19th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Monday 19th January 2015

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin · 4m4 minutes ago
Tune into Channel Five. About to start a "national" debate on Cameron's NHS Crisis.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Add the estimated 1.2 million agency workers to the 600,000 on zero-hours contracts, and you have a shadow workforce of about 1.8 million unpeople,

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are_btn_tw
Heartbreaking.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

If you think it got a bit tetchy over here yesterday, check the comment piece, on LDV, by the chair of the Green Lib Dems.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/opinion-brit ... 44259.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meow!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

StephenDolan wrote:‘NHS we have at the moment not fit for the future’ warns top doctor

http://gu.com/p/452t4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Technology is the solution apparently. Comments disabled...
I am surprised somebody like Bruce, who has a clue, would fall for this bollocks, but then again I have seen some of the people pushing this story and their ability to skate over issues is impressive.

I see two major issues with it. Firstly the sort of kit you need for safety critical applications like health monitoring is not cheap. It has to be highly reliable, highly accurate and it has to be calibrated (repeatedly). Secondly the UK communications network is not engineered for safety critical applications. Broadband in particular is a best effort service, mobile comms can be even more flaky and home routers are not exactly reliable.

So you can do some stuff, but not as cheaply or as easily as the evangelists suggest.
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

StephenDolan wrote:‘NHS we have at the moment not fit for the future’ warns top doctor

Comments open now.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Meanwhile following #NHSDebate on Twitter is pretty depressing.

Guess what? The problem with the NHS is all those patients, especially immigrants, fat people etc.

Poor stuff....
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:I slightly peeved when Chris Bryant was moved talking about the Arts & Crafts, music and pretending to be someone else, but fair play to the old stirrer, he's wound up Blunt, all going wonderfully darlink!

Harrow v Cheltenham College, fight, fight, fight!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... nt-in-full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheltenham College, now we're talking! He left there in 1980. Before the Thatcher tax cuts, in other words.

It wouldn't have been all that fancy.

A few bits of buildings were done by my time- left in 1990.
Is Cheltenham College a private (public) school? I assume that you're ex public school then? Don't meet many of them around this neck of the woods, but there's many a good 'un that went, then went 'whoa!' and became a miserable commie like so many of the misbegotten and Stalinst membership of FTN. Dreadful people.
Yes, it's a minor public school, and I went there for 7 years. Got into the grammar but parents paid for me to go to Cheltenham- I'm 14 years younger than my nearest sibling, and my mum started work did quite well.

The school took up an incredible amount of my time, but was basically OK.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

refitman wrote:If you think it got a bit tetchy over here yesterday, check the comment piece, on LDV, by the chair of the Green Lib Dems.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/opinion-brit ... 44259.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meow!
Highly amusing, incidentally (and I am not having a pop at the Greens). I noted PB (fantasist, multiple virtual personas, reality denying archetype) stating he had joined the Greens at the top in the 80s and watched it all fall apart - from which he claims it took decades to recover.

Anybody else think he has failed to recognise he is a creature of habit?
Release the Guardvarks.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
refitman wrote:If you think it got a bit tetchy over here yesterday, check the comment piece, on LDV, by the chair of the Green Lib Dems.

Meow!
Highly amusing, incidentally (and I am not having a pop at the Greens). I noted PB (fantasist, multiple virtual personas, reality denying archetype) stating he had joined the Greens at the top in the 80s and watched it all fall apart - from which he claims it took decades to recover.

"The Green education policy is rubbish because there are no market forces" made me laugh/sigh.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

RogerOThornhill wrote:

Comments open now.
I can't be arsed, let the great CIF commentariat write bollocks to their hearts content.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

refitman wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Meow!

"The Green education policy is rubbish because there are no market forces" made me laugh/sigh.
To be fair, I found myself agreeing with the more level headed critique of the policy, that it removes parental choice. The state knows what's best for little Jimmy might have worked in the 50s, not so sure it does now.

Didn't I see an SNP policy to appoint a state guardian for every child to keep an eye on them - or did I get confused?

While I believe there are many things the state does very well it can only operate in a framework of informed choice and consent (note giving a patient in the NHS an arbitrary choice, which they cannot understand in the name of choice is not the same thing).
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes 34 mins34 minutes ago
Karen Danczuk To Quit Being Labour Councillor
http://order-order.com/2015/01/19/karen ... ouncollor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
I see there is speculation BTL that this is to pave the way for her husband leaving Labour's ranks for another party ....
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 40m40 minutes ago
Latest YouGov Poll (18 - 19 Jan):
CON - 32% (+1)
LAB - 32% (-)
UKIP - 15% (-3)
LDEM - 8% (+1)
GRN - 7% (-)
Working on the wild side.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
http://order-order.com/2015/01/19/karen ... ouncollor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
I see there is speculation BTL that this is to pave the way for her husband leaving Labour's ranks for another party ....
Why? Doesn't he want to be an MP anymore? He can't really have much prospect of winning with anyone else, surely?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

Willow904 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Why? Doesn't he want to be an MP anymore? He can't really have much prospect of winning with anyone else, surely?
Opportunist. It'll be nice to be rid of him. Loyalty is a big thing in my book and he seems to lack it.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

diGriz wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: I see there is speculation BTL that this is to pave the way for her husband leaving Labour's ranks for another party ....
Opportunist. It'll be nice to be rid of him. Loyalty is a big thing in my book and he seems to lack it.
I think it rather more likely Karen has quit to spend more time with her deli and her twitter fan base.

Danczuk should be reasonably placed to hold the seat, and I can't see he has any chance as a Kipper.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Image
She is the gift that keeps on giving.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Looking at the text.

Looks like "the NHS is a national religion" metaphor got seriously out of hand.

For one thing, she seems to think pro-NHS fundies have been running it for 5 years.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Lurking. And sort-of speed-reading.
:wave: :hug:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...