Wednesday 21st January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 21st January 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all. Tories lead by 2 points on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 20th January -

Con 32%, (nc)
Lab 30%, (-2)
LD 8%, (nc)
UKIP 15%, (-3)
GRN 10%; (+3)

APP -18 (+2)
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Re: Wednesday 21st January 2015

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/opinion/jou ... ee-8477253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Morning folks,
A short opinion piece from The Journal, rightly panning Durham Free School and Gove.
Last edited by refitman on Wed 21 Jan, 2015 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: admin: fixed link
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

refitman wrote:Morning all. Tories lead by 2 points on Yougov:

Con 32%, (nc)
Lab 30%, (-2)
LD 8%, (nc)
UKIP 15%, (-3)
GRN 10%; (+3)

APP -18 (+2)
Morning! And boo :-(
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

This is interesting
SCOTTISH MPs would be banned from voting on parts of the Westminster budget if the Tories form the next government.

George Osborne lobbed a hand-grenade into the constitutional debate yesterday by flatly contradicting the recommendations of the all-party Smith Commission on devolution.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/polit ... or-5013619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I unusually picked up a paper copy of the Groan to read this morning.

I got to the end of a pretty annoying piece by Rafael Behr arguing that Westminster isn't all bad and that a lot of MPs mean well and thought, well possibly, but the media are the problem and don't communicate the interests of those well meaning MPs.

Then on the next page there was an excellent and blistering attack by George Monbiot on the media. Great stuff. May already have been linked here, but....

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ournalists" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all. Caught up with the File on Four podcast on the way in. Excellent piece. Kinda fuming now though!
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Guardian Chilcot piece.
' Although Ed Miliband was not in parliament at the time of the invasion, and has said he would have opposed the war, Labour probably has least to gain from the reopening of the debate about the basis of the invasion and its continuing consequences, including the rise of Islamic State, or Isis.

The Conservatives, including an agonised Cameron, backed the invasion at the time, but the Tories subsequently said they had been misled about the intelligence. Although Cameron pushed through military action in Libya, and, in principle, air strikes to punish Bashar al-Assad’s use of chemical weapons in Syria, the prime minister has generally been a sceptic about humanitarian military action. The Liberal Democrats opposed the war and probably would gain most politically from publication.'
Last edited by StephenDolan on Wed 21 Jan, 2015 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

StephenDolan wrote:Guardian Chilcot piece.
' Although Ed Miliband was not in parliament at the time of the invasion, and has said he would have opposed the war, Labour probably has least to gain from the reopening of the debate about the basis of the invasion and its continuing consequences, including the rise of Islamic State, or Isis.

The Conservatives, including an agonised Cameron, backed the invasion at the time, but the Tories subsequently said they had been misled about the intelligence. Although Cameron pushed through military action in Libya, and, in principle, air strikes to punish Bashar al-Assad’s use of chemical weapons in Syria, the prime minister has generally been a sceptic about humanitarian military action. The Liberal Democrats opposed the war and probably would gain most politically from publication.'
So essentially the demands for publication before the election are down to election politics rather than a desire to know the truth.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Spacedone wrote:

So essentially the demands for publication before the election are down to election politics rather than a desire to know the truth.
Wintour and Watt aren't political journalists. They're partisan political fuckwit spinmeisters.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Which is why the delay on publication makes little sense. If the Coalition powers stand to gain so much from this report, why haven't they been pushing the report along? I haven't really been following this. The delay seems shrouded in mystery. We had someone on R4 this morning guessing why it's been delayed. Has Chilcott not given some kind of statement on the progress? The idea it's people who gave evidence holding things up is instantly countered by the suggestion there was a delay in giving them the report to respond to in the first place. It all seems highly irregular. Of course publishing now would probably contravene the gagging law as it has cost thousands and would influence how people might vote so having got to this late point I don't see how it could be published now before the election..... :)

Morning All.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Con 32%, (nc)
Lab 30%, (-2)
LD 8%, (nc)
UKIP 15%, (-3)
GRN 10%; (+3)

APP -18 (+2)
Not the sort of news you want to wake up to on a wet, cold, miserable morning.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Flynn ‏@PaulFlynnMP 3m3 minutes ago
BBC's Tory Nick at it again-rewriting history of Iraq War as monopoly Labour blunder. All but 6 Tories voted for it. 139 Lab MP opposed it.
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I unusually picked up a paper copy of the Groan to read this morning.

I got to the end of a pretty annoying piece by Rafael Behr arguing that Westminster isn't all bad and that a lot of MPs mean well and thought, well possibly, but the media are the problem and don't communicate the interests of those well meaning MPs.

Then on the next page there was an excellent and blistering attack by George Monbiot on the media. Great stuff. May already have been linked here, but....

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ournalists" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I read George Monbiot's article yesterday on their webpage. Agree.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I thought I would share this from Michael Rosen because it's exactly how I feel when listening to the media talking as if austerity is the only possible option rather than a choice:

http://michaelrosenblog.blogspot.co.uk/ ... l?spref=tw

Argentina has been cited by Syriza as an example of life after default. They have a very good point. The world won't stop turning just because austerity is rejected - the problems will just be different ones and in a democracy people have the right to choose different problems!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Willow904 wrote:I thought I would share this from Michael Rosen because it's exactly how I feel when listening to the media talking as if austerity is the only possible option rather than a choice:

http://michaelrosenblog.blogspot.co.uk/ ... l?spref=tw

Argentina has been cited by Syriza as an example of life after default. They have a very good point. The world won't stop turning just because austerity is rejected - the problems will just be different ones and in a democracy people have the right to choose different problems!
Thank you.

And thank you to Stephen Dolan too.

It's a 'kinda fuming' day I think.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Gran always used to say take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves. I didn't understand it properly when I was young - probably because there were never enough pennies to go around, let alone make a pound.

Hagues purchased a 2 million pound house and Mandelson's gone one better at 8 million, but neither agrees with the mansion tax.
We've also read about how they'll claim pennies for a paper clip on their expenses.

Gran was right.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Oh. Please.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Con 32%, (nc)
Lab 30%, (-2)
LD 8%, (nc)
UKIP 15%, (-3)
GRN 10%; (+3)

APP -18 (+2)
Not the sort of news you want to wake up to on a wet, cold, miserable morning.
Everyone be cool. Mercury is retrograde.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:

Oh. Please.
Hah. Cameron didn't sound agonised to me when he was supporting the invasion of Iraq. He sounded quite positively enthusiastic.

Edited to exchange quite for positively.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Wed 21 Jan, 2015 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Jeez...look at the end of Cameron's letter to Chilcott.
Had the previous government established this inquiry when I first called for it, we would not be in this position today. But that cannot now be undone.
Take a look at the end of the letter and the signature!

http://www.iraqinquiry.org.uk/media/553 ... hilcot.pdf
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Wed 21 Jan, 2015 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

norman smith @BBCNormanS · 30m 30 minutes ago
Job vacancies hit record 14 year high at 700,000.
Oh please.

(Divide in half to cover all the duplicates in the system - then another half for all the part time / temporary jobs - then another half for all the zero hours and purely commission based jobs - and then another half for those that are really self employed or you, the one without the job and any money, actually paying someone up front to do something for them.)

BBC journalists keeping up the tradition of simply repeating government guff.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

The tories said at the time that they would support war even if there was no WMD. So they can't complain they were lied to about WMD.

But all our 'journalists' are busy forgetting to remember that fact.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Jeez...look at the end of Cameron's letter to Chilcott.
Had the previous government established this inquiry when I first called for it, we would not be in this position today. But that cannot now be undone.

What the .....

What on earth has happened there then ?! Incompetence knows no bounds in the No 10 office it would seem :roll:

Do we know when Cammo started demanding an inquiry ? To my mind, we've waited this long so another 3 months won't hurt & those that want to believe the report is a whitewash won't be convinced otherwise, if it says something other than to back up their opinion, even when it is released.
Last edited by pk1 on Wed 21 Jan, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Oh God! I may end up sticking my fingers down my throat today. Twitter is full of upbeat figures about the economy, wage rises, lower cost of living, employment figures, yada, yada, yada.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

StephenDolan wrote:
Spacedone wrote:

Wintour and Watt aren't political journalists. They're partisan political fuckwit spinmeisters.
Morning.

I just read that very section, completely incredulous, and came right here. And then I see that tweet from Paul Flynn (re Nick Robinson) further down the page.

I am deeply pessimistic about the next four months. Sorry. The mainstream media has gone completely.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

pk1 wrote:

What the .....

What on earth has happened there then ?! Incompetence knows no bounds in the No 10 office it would seem :roll:

Do we know when Cammo started demanding an inquiry ? To my mind, we've waited this long so another 3 months won't hurt & those that want to believe the report is a whitewash won't be convinced otherwise, if it says something other than to back up their opinion, even when it is released.
Given that Richard Ottaway wrote to Chilcott asking him for an update, I suspect these letters were a rush job and nobody had time to proofread them before they were released.

I suspect that if they'd had time, that bit of political sniping at the end would have come out to - that's very party political on what's supposed to be a letter from a PM.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

pk1 wrote:

What the .....

Are there two signatures on that letter? And can anyone tell me what is scrawled above "David"? Looks like 'Iain' to me – he was very gung ho about heading into the second Iraq War, as I remember it. And is it normal practise for Downing Street letters to put the recipient's name immediately below any signatures?
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

NonOxCol wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
Spacedone wrote: So essentially the demands for publication before the election are down to election politics rather than a desire to know the truth.
Morning.

I just read that very section, completely incredulous, and came right here. And then I see that tweet from Paul Flynn (re Nick Robinson) further down the page.

I am deeply pessimistic about the next four months. Sorry. The mainstream media has gone completely.
The only positive to take from that is that it suggests that they believe Ed Miliband really will stand up to vested interests, including implementing the Leveson recommendations in full. Having interviewed him many times, I suspect political journalists are best placed to decipher whether Ed is the real deal or not and their reaction suggests he is. They seem very worried about him winning a majority, very different to Blair who they adored. Says it all really. Ed took a big risk when he decided not to court Murdoch's favour and pushed for the Leveson enquiry and it may still cost him the election but if he hadn't it probably wouldn't have made a difference if Labour won or not to ordinary people so I'm glad he took the honourable course. If by a miracle he wins and he applies that kind of honest bravery to being PM our politics are going to look very different, I think.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

LadyCentauria wrote: Are there two signatures on that letter? And can anyone tell me what is scrawled above "David"? Looks like 'Iain' to me – he was very gung ho about heading into the second Iraq War, as I remember it. And is it normal practise for Downing Street letters to put the recipient's name immediately below any signatures?
I think that is supposed to be "Yours" above "David" but the end bit is weird as it's normally the name of the person writing the letter.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

norman smith @BBCNormanS · 19m 19 minutes ago
Bank of England monetary policy committee say inflation will "temporarily dip below zero in first half of 2015"

norman smith @BBCNormanS · 20m 20 minutes ago
Bank of England monetary policy committee predict inflation will go negative
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote: Are there two signatures on that letter? And can anyone tell me what is scrawled above "David"? Looks like 'Iain' to me – he was very gung ho about heading into the second Iraq War, as I remember it. And is it normal practise for Downing Street letters to put the recipient's name immediately below any signatures?
I think that is supposed to be "Yours" above "David" but the end bit is weird as it's normally the name of the person writing the letter.
Copy paste error, careless.
Release the Guardvarks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

That is truly utterly beyond parody - worthy, without any exaggeration, of Goebbels.

I hope that at least Watt/Wintour are being totallly slaughtered on social media for it?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
norman smith @BBCNormanS · 19m 19 minutes ago
Bank of England monetary policy committee say inflation will "temporarily dip below zero in first half of 2015"

norman smith @BBCNormanS · 20m 20 minutes ago
Bank of England monetary policy committee predict inflation will go negative
Success! The economy is saved. The useless EU have deflation but we have a temporary dip below zero which is entirely different.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

I've just had a look on the Public Whip website from which I gather that, in the debate on the Iraq War of 18th March 2003, the two main parties voted as follows:

Party Majority (Aye) Minority (No) Both Turnout
Con 146 2 (+1 tell) 0 91.4% (Approx. 14 were absent that day)
Lab 254 (+2 tell) 84 (+1 tell) 0 83.2% (Approx. 60 were absent that day)

http://www.publicwhip.org.uk/division.p ... llpossible

The absentee numbers are approximate as I was swiftly calculating them in twos – and sums were never my strongest point ;) But 144 Labour MPs either voted against or absented themselves for some reason which almost matches the numbers of Conservative MPs who voted 'aye'...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Morning all. I may be duplicating ... but have only just read this.
Lesson one from the Hinchingbrooke hospital scandal: beware the ‘mutual’
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... CMP=twt_gu
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RobertSnozers wrote: But if you'd have asked me two years ago I'd have said a Labour majority was a near certainty. Now I'd have to say I think it's an outside chance and any majority will be of the hair's breadth variety
Though I am generally considered an optimist, I have never considered a Labour majority in May that likely tbh.

The elephant in the room here is how rare it is for defeated opposition parties to return to power after just one term - many people still blame the previous administration for any problems the new government experiences. And that's even before taking into account our profoundly unbalanced MSM.

As far as YouGov's methodology goes, I don't think the change you refer to had a huge effect (though it was slightly adverse for Labour) - what may be more relevant right now is that they still have newspaper readership as a major determinant of their panels and weighting. Even as sales of the "dead tree" press continue to plummet almost by the week......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rent rise of 2.2 per cent for Reading council tenants
Investment of £15m in council homes in the coming year alongside the rent-rise in line with national policy
The proposed rent increase has been discussed and supported by tenant groups.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... nt-8485810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: But if you'd have asked me two years ago I'd have said a Labour majority was a near certainty. Now I'd have to say I think it's an outside chance and any majority will be of the hair's breadth variety
Though I am generally considered an optimist, I have never considered a Labour majority in May that likely tbh.

The elephant in the room here is how rare it is for defeated opposition parties to return to power after just one term - many people still blame the previous administration for any problems the new government experiences. And that's even before taking into account our profoundly unbalanced MSM.

As far as YouGov's methodology goes, I don't think the change you refer to had a huge effect (though it was slightly adverse for Labour) - what may be more relevant right now is that they still have newspaper readership as a major determinant of their panels and weighting. Even as sales of the "dead tree" press continue to plummet almost by the week......
Reminded me to check today's newspaper weighting:

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/d ... 200115.pdf
Newspaper Type

Express / Mail 245 223
Sun / Star 204 316
Mirror / Record 126 138
Guardian / Independent 136 69
FT / Times / Telegraph 101 126
Other Paper 199 181
No Paper 559 518
so again, the Scum is up-weighted by 100+ !

Maybe need to watch the approval figures too. Today it's at -18 which is an improvement on the -20+ we were used to seeing last year.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 3m3 minutes ago
Miliband opposed Iraq War but wasn't MP in 2003. Cameron voted for it and recall him saying he'd do so again after no WMDs found #PMQs
He was soooo agonised about it though.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Wed 21 Jan, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:Might I make a request? When people link to stories in the Guardian, I'd be most grateful if they could post the headline and perhaps the first para, just to give a flavour to those of us who insist on not giving Rusbridger a single click? Thanks
I try to do that - as mindful that sometimes people either don't want to go there ... or don't see enough from the link to know if they want to go there. But increasingly I'm trying to find the stories elsewhere.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Owen Smith MP ‏@OwenSmithMP 18m18 minutes ago
Interesting interventions from English Tories at Welsh Qs. My favourite was the call for the Welsh Gov to support farmers in Wiltshire.
Eh?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Do punitive approaches to unemployment benefit recipients increase welfare exit and employment? A cross-area analysis of UK sanctioning reforms

http://www.sociology.ox.ac.uk/working-p ... forms.html
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
Copy paste error, careless.
All of the letters addressed to my Dad (RAF) from MoD, Pensions, etc., had his name (and address) at the foot of the letter. When I was on a tempsec job (thank goodness it was) at the old Min of Ag in London, I found it really difficult to follow that procedure there as well, having been formally trained that the name and address on a letter goes after the date! (Makes it easier to fold and put in envelope apparently).

My own thoughts are, therefore, that the letter was rushed (so it could get out there to the supporting right wing press) and there should have been a few more para lines put in after leaving space for PR PRICK Cameron to write "David".

I hope that makes some sense!
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PMQs going to form.
Chris Bryant ‏@ChrisBryantMP 2m2 minutes ago
Cameron is a bully.

R. Blackman-Woods ‏@robertabwMP 2m2 minutes ago
Cameron at his most shouty today & getting redder by the second. Does he think shouting nonsense louder makes it any more believable #pmqs

Tom Blenkinsop ‏@TomBlenkinsop 2m2 minutes ago
Hahahah! Cameron attacks UKIP's policy to privatise the NHS. UKIP will only follow up & support the Tories Top-Down privatisation #pmqs
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

And on that G article where Clegg says
However, neither administrative processes nor a constant back and forth between the inquiry and witnesses criticised should frustrate an independent report so important to the country’s future from being published as soon as possible.
My bold - why is it important for the country's future? Because, of course, it's another nail to hammer in to Ed Miliband (unjustifiably) but will enable the sh1tty little bastard to stay in coalition with Cameron. He's so effing transparent. :fire:
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Are the newspaper readerships based on people who actually buy a physical paper or people who read on line? Becouse I don't know anyone who just reads "one paper" on line, everybody just flicks from one to the other looking for something interesting. If somebody asked me which newspaper I read, I honestly wouldn't know what to answer, I probably spend more time on the Telegraph site these days than I do on the Guardian, but would that make me a "Telegraph reader" as far as the pollsters are concerned? And I never buy either of them physically, if I need a real paper for a train journey or to take to a cafe I inveriably buy the I, mainly becouse its so much cheaper than the big papers. The way media is consumed has changed so much that it just doesn't make sense to rely on that as a way of weighting views anymore.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Christ, Diane Abbot being cheered by Cons in the Commons.

She should feel shame but I doubt she does.

According to Andrew Sparrow, in response to what she said:
Cameron says there is nothing sinister in the delay. He does not believe that anyone is trying to delay, or dodge this report.
So, his protestations earlier were just hot air !
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mark Ferguson @Markfergusonuk · 18m 18 minutes ago
Today at PMQs David Cameron focussed on a burned carpet from 10 years ago. Behold, people of Britain, the mighty House of Commons #PMQS
Did he really sink that low?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mark Ferguson @Markfergusonuk · 7m 7 minutes ago
Cameron AGAIN takes credit for there being more GPs than in 2010. He’s been PM for 4 years. It takes SEVEN to train a doctor #PMQs

Mark Ferguson @Markfergusonuk · 15m 15 minutes ago
Cameron says he won’t privatise the NHS. But before the last election he said he wouldn’t do any top-down reorganisations of the NHS #PMQS
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Mason @paulmasonnews · 14h 14 hours ago
How to pronounce Syriza: like Syria but with a Z
:lol: I think that might have been aimed at Emily Maitliss. Pronunciation of 'foreign' names - something else the BBC used to be hot on ... not so now.