Thursday 22nd January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Re: Thursday 22nd January 2015

Post by diGriz »

gilsey wrote:diGriz, I hope you're right.
I probably won't be. :cry:
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ohsocynical wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
citizenJA wrote:(my bold)
Yep!

The hideous after taste is the result of degrading the fondant egg chocolate casing. Bizarre tangy taste.

I loved the original Cadbury Crème Eggs. I knew there'd probably come a day I'd savour them no more. I accept what I can't change.

Damn, it's tough - please, everyone, anything you can recommend to me in the way of a superior confection, let me know. Superior doesn't necessarily mean costly.
Certainly! Stop eating crap chocolate, by which I mean the filth the Yanks want us to get used to (no chance) and the shit that Cadbury's have churned out for too long, IMO. The way to go is continental chocolate. Once you get a taste for high cocoa dark European chocolate, you won't be heading back in a hurry.

My eyes were opened many years ago by Green & Black chocs, after a brief sojourn in France, and having tasted 90% chocolate - I'm not a great consumer of chocs at best, preferring pork knockers - I realised that my childhood and milk teeth had been ruined by shit confectionary.

(invokes emoticon of huge tasselled marching band in uniforms stomping down the road with a vast "SAY NO! TO SHIT CONFECTIONARY" banner)

Like so many other things culinary or lush, dark chocolate done the European way is the biz. I can't say the same about sausages, thobut. To me, a 100% meat German sausage is too much a reminder of the bollocks and entrails that make it up. British sausages contain rusk, and that's actually vital in ensuring that fats are soaked up and transmitted through the 'meat' and that the sausage as a whole has a consistency. There's little worse (in the comestible sense, not talking about slave labour, death camps or American chocolate at this point) than eating a sausage to find direct evidence of testicular input. Yeeuch.

I hope this public information posting has been of use to you all. You're welcome.
I loved wartime chipolatas, which by the time rationing came to and end were almost entirely rusk, pork fat and seasoning and they were the bees knees. They were vicious to cook. They spat and hissed and split into all sorts of strange shapes and were phased out due to Common market regulations because they contained so little meat. To this day I get a craving for them.
Years ago Tesco started selling 'wartime' sausages and they were damn near perfect, but then they disappeared off the shelves. Since then I've tried just about every type and brand of sausage on the market, and don't like 'em.
Hi OSC - make your own! You already know the recipe, so get the mekkins in, get some sausage skin and see if Ebay sell sausage making machines.

Just going off to check....

Golly gumdrops!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat ... ker&_frs=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat ... sage+skins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... e&_sacat=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy days!
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

diGriz wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:A new low for the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... ledge.html

Ed's statement is both amusing, light hearted and quite normal.

But I detect a fifth column in the editorial team, that is a cracking picture of him.
Someone slipped up with that pic. What's the betting it will be replaced by the bacon sandwich one by tomorrow?

Actually, I think Ed is doing himself a disservice. It's entirely true that PMQs is an utter waste of everyone's time, and that's largely fish-pointer's fault. But some of the facts and case studies Ed has brought to the dispatch box and utterly flummoxed Cameron with have been genuinely enlightening.
After the incident in France and the mention of the rise in anti-Semitism in the UK I doubt that photo will be used again. Nor the use of the word weird. Too much has happened of late to allow the press to express their true feelings.
I suspect you're wrong on this one. It's ok for forriners to do in musselmen and jewboys as far as our meeja is concerned, and as long as they can hold the lid down on the Miliband jewboy shock, horror, whilst playing on anti-semitic feeling they will do so with great relish. Remember; weird=Jewish=NotOneOfUs=Don'tVoteLabour. As Al Murray would say; Common Sense.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

diGriz wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
diGriz wrote: You can still get them.

This Cadbury's thing highlights my big bugbear at the moment, with all of the stories about the rise of obesity and sugar taxes etc, If you are hungry it's because your body needs nutrients (or water) yet the food companies provide foodstuffs that are the cheapest possible option regarding cost to them and making the most profits. There's nothing wrong with sugar per se in a balanced diet, which you don't get if you meal has had the fibre removed to make it last longer on the shelves. Stuffed full of additives which your body also has to process, if there is too much of it the additives are stored in fat cells until your body can safely process them.

Natural food (the cave man diet for example) is what your body needs. This egg thing, and I did love those eggs, is another case of making more profits. And as this goes on the government berate the public for eating too much yet don't question why they haven't satisfied their hunger. Over the last year or so I lost 2 1/2 stone by learning how to eat, I'm well within the BMI, I can eat chocolate every day and not gain anything, over xmas I gained 3 pounds and lost it a week later. It's not rocket science.

Fully expect in the next year or so someone suggesting drinking water with meals, very handy for diluting the sugars (especially carbs) and stopping that sleepy feeling you get with the insulin rush. If you crave a food, work out what it is in it that your body wants. Recently I was starving for something savory, I took a pinch of rock salt (yup, the refined stuff loses nutrients too) and didn't feel hungry for the rest of the day.

We'll also see something else happen in the next few decades, the baby boomers with poor but natural diets post war (until the end of the 60s) will be living longer, my generation (the kids of the BBers) have been eating processed crap most of our lives. People of my generation and onwards will be popping our clogs at a younger age and a rise in all of these weight related illnesses.

Those going to food banks are worst off, I've seen the lists of foods available and it's a big problem. And what do the government do about these large corporations feeding us swill? Take their funding.

Rant over. Thought for the day? Remember what your gran ate and how she prepared it.

[edit] Oh and watch what happens to our food if the blue toffs manage to destroy even more regulations, a good example would be the difference between bangers and sausages.
My American husband has/had seven brothers and sisters. Everyone of them, most of their children, and their children's children have type two diabetes. Our daughter lives in the US. She developed it in her forties. They all have weight problems. It has to be the diet.
Mr Ohso and our son who is also in his forties and lives here, don't have it although Mr Ohso is borderline and is a serious junk food addict but I just slap him down and make sure he eats correctly. My sons wife is type 1 so they are very careful about what food goes into their house.
Some of the recipes the US relatives cook makes me feel physically sick.
The danger is our food is becoming more and more Americanised especially with the increasing addition of corn syrup which is a baddie.
There is something doing the rounds on facebook in regard to McDonalds fries. Grim reading.

Where I work it's near impossible to find anything decent to eat for lunch. I don't ask for much. But an entire high street? There's one sandwich shop with delicious fresh bread and lovely filling but I rarely eat bread now. It's my treat but what do I do for the rest of the week?

But yes, the whole Americanisation of our society is ruining us.

I have a few irons in the fire, if they don't pay off in the next year or so and the tories or libcons get in then I'm off. And no idle threats like Paul Daniels, just sell up and go find somewhere off of the US hegemonic radar. It's a big world out there.

Re-reading your post I start to wonder if food companies and drug companies are doing this on purpose. I have a friend whose doctor keeps insisting she is type two and keeps testing her. She feels fine and refuses to let him bully her. Sometimes I do despair at what we've become and how it's been allowed to happen. I know whose fault it is and I want them out of government for good.
Artificial sweetners including corn syrup are what they call empty calories, and there is a strong possibility they upset your blood sugar levels without you actually having proper type 2.
Mr Ohso was drinking a lot of diet coke and over eating things like corn snacks and crisps. About ten years ago he started to feel ill, sick and giddy. He looked awful and broke out in little ulcers all over his body. I borrowed my d-in-laws test kit and his reading was through the roof, so I immediately made him stop with the junk food and eat the recommended food for type 1.
It took less than a week and his levels went back to normal...And they've stayed that way but he is as addicted to junk snacks and soft drinks as some people are to cigarettes and alcohol, so it's a constant fight.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: Certainly! Stop eating crap chocolate, by which I mean the filth the Yanks want us to get used to (no chance) and the shit that Cadbury's have churned out for too long, IMO. The way to go is continental chocolate. Once you get a taste for high cocoa dark European chocolate, you won't be heading back in a hurry.

My eyes were opened many years ago by Green & Black chocs, after a brief sojourn in France, and having tasted 90% chocolate - I'm not a great consumer of chocs at best, preferring pork knockers - I realised that my childhood and milk teeth had been ruined by shit confectionary.

(invokes emoticon of huge tasselled marching band in uniforms stomping down the road with a vast "SAY NO! TO SHIT CONFECTIONARY" banner)

Like so many other things culinary or lush, dark chocolate done the European way is the biz. I can't say the same about sausages, thobut. To me, a 100% meat German sausage is too much a reminder of the bollocks and entrails that make it up. British sausages contain rusk, and that's actually vital in ensuring that fats are soaked up and transmitted through the 'meat' and that the sausage as a whole has a consistency. There's little worse (in the comestible sense, not talking about slave labour, death camps or American chocolate at this point) than eating a sausage to find direct evidence of testicular input. Yeeuch.

I hope this public information posting has been of use to you all. You're welcome.
I loved wartime chipolatas, which by the time rationing came to and end were almost entirely rusk, pork fat and seasoning and they were the bees knees. They were vicious to cook. They spat and hissed and split into all sorts of strange shapes and were phased out due to Common market regulations because they contained so little meat. To this day I get a craving for them.
Years ago Tesco started selling 'wartime' sausages and they were damn near perfect, but then they disappeared off the shelves. Since then I've tried just about every type and brand of sausage on the market, and don't like 'em.
Hi OSC - make your own! You already know the recipe, so get the mekkins in, get some sausage skin and see if Ebay sell sausage making machines.

Just going off to check....

Golly gumdrops!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat ... ker&_frs=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat ... sage+skins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... e&_sacat=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy days!
I have tried to make my own, but I can't quite get the taste right.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Loving all the chocolate chat. Good job the teeth are brushed, otherwise I'd be nipping to the fridge for a small bar of 85%!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

diGriz wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:(my bold)
Yep!

The hideous after taste is the result of degrading the fondant egg chocolate casing. Bizarre tangy taste.

I loved the original Cadbury Crème Eggs. I knew there'd probably come a day I'd savour them no more. I accept what I can't change.

Damn, it's tough - please, everyone, anything you can recommend to me in the way of a superior confection, let me know. Superior doesn't necessarily mean costly.
You've got me going now Citizen. As a kid I used to love - and I mean luuurrvvve - Walnut Whips - remember them? I'm sure if I had one now I would realise how disgustingly inferior all its ingredients and the finished product were ... but then they symbolized a real treat (we were very poor). They lost their allure somewhat in my youth when Steve Bell and other cartoonists used to depict Ronald Reagan with walnut whip like hair. And then they were gone from the shelves.
You can still get them.

This Cadbury's thing highlights my big bugbear at the moment, with all of the stories about the rise of obesity and sugar taxes etc, If you are hungry it's because your body needs nutrients (or water) yet the food companies provide foodstuffs that are the cheapest possible option regarding cost to them and making the most profits. There's nothing wrong with sugar per se in a balanced diet, which you don't get if you meal has had the fibre removed to make it last longer on the shelves. Stuffed full of additives which your body also has to process, if there is too much of it the additives are stored in fat cells until your body can safely process them.

Natural food (the cave man diet for example) is what your body needs. This egg thing, and I did love those eggs, is another case of making more profits. And as this goes on the government berate the public for eating too much yet don't question why they haven't satisfied their hunger. Over the last year or so I lost 2 1/2 stone by learning how to eat, I'm well within the BMI, I can eat chocolate every day and not gain anything, over xmas I gained 3 pounds and lost it a week later. It's not rocket science.

Fully expect in the next year or so someone suggesting drinking water with meals, very handy for diluting the sugars (especially carbs) and stopping that sleepy feeling you get with the insulin rush. If you crave a food, work out what it is in it that your body wants. Recently I was starving for something savory, I took a pinch of rock salt (yup, the refined stuff loses nutrients too) and didn't feel hungry for the rest of the day.

We'll also see something else happen in the next few decades, the baby boomers with poor but natural diets post war (until the end of the 60s) will be living longer, my generation (the kids of the BBers) have been eating processed crap most of our lives. People of my generation and onwards will be popping our clogs at a younger age and a rise in all of these weight related illnesses.

Those going to food banks are worst off, I've seen the lists of foods available and it's a big problem. And what do the government do about these large corporations feeding us swill? Take their funding.

Rant over. Thought for the day? Remember what your gran ate and how she prepared it.

[edit] Oh and watch what happens to our food if the blue toffs manage to destroy even more regulations, a good example would be the difference between bangers and sausages.
Outstanding post - I'm not just writing that to be nice or hypocritical without strength of character enough to stand by my fondant. I'm frightened for people, for children, not getting enough whole food - fruits, dried or fresh, lots of greens on a regular basis. Essential nutrients in foods that don't contain enough calories on their own.

Oatmeal is good as long as it's not messed with with additives & sugar by the manufacturer. It's the difference between heating the kettle or turning on the cooker for seven minutes though. A packet of processed oatmeal or bulk oats. Basmati rice, arugula, green lentils & onion - again, whole grains & pulses take time to cook & that's money spent to cook it.

I walked ten miles today. I felt the cold.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:I agree with ohso, Aldi's the place for chocolate. Try the smooth praline.
Sainsbury's own brand Belgian is very nice too.

I've always hated creme eggs, the filling is too sweet.
There are two kinds of people - those who loved the crème egg & those who don't. And both kinds of people are good.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I took a lot of hits beginning in 2007 - all of them were totally beyond my control. I found out what it is to fear for my life. I found out what it is to be hungry & have no way to get food for awhile. It was horrifying.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

I know on the old Forum we had quite a lot of links about Care Data and the many of us (PK and me anyway!) were very anti and providing loads of links on how to "opt out" of having medical records (outside of those necessary for care ....) released - released outside of the NHS. Tim Kelsey at NHS England (he of Dr Foster's infamy) was the incompetent in charge of the incompetence.

As some people now know, personal data was sold for a pittance to outside commercial interests and those interests also transferred data out of the jurisdiction permitted (via Google Cloud).

It's much more complicated than that .... but that's the gist.

I was one of those people, because of my often illogical hatred of things "private sector vultures" (you know what I mean!), who signed documents all over the place restricting access to my GP and Hospital records.

Here's an eye opener then, hidden away nicely as the G does it in Society under NHS. I'm absolutely flaming.

I'd love to know what we can do now. I did put a comment up on the article about negligence of Tim Kelsey but reported my comment and got it removed. The piece of sh1te has blocked me on Twitter for ages.

Any thoughts?
NHS disregards patient requests to opt out of sharing medical records
Officials now admit they shared data because otherwise it would have affected patients’ treatment
The NHS has disregarded tens of thousands of requests by patients to opt out of the health service’s system of sharing medical records. Officials have admitted that not sharing the data would affect the treatment patients received – such as cancer screening services.

Under guidelines released by the NHS last year, patients had been told they could, without affecting their care, “object to any information containing data that identifies you from leaving the secure environment … this includes information from all places you receive NHS care, such as hospitals”.

However in a letter to MPs, seen by the Guardian, Kingsley Manning, chief executive of the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC) which collects patient data, admits that “none of the objections registered by patients … have been enacted”.

Manning says that patients who did opt out of the system, which has confidential medical records detailing hospital visits, mental health data and maternity appointments, may not have “understood that this will mean that as a result they will not be approached for direct care services such as bowel screening”. Officials also confirmed that those patients who had opted out won’t be notified of cancer screening services.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... al-records
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, friends.
We're not cruel to each other here, are we? No, but we've not agreed with each other. It's not comfortable, contention, disagreements touching big things inside us & we won't always agree. It's work though, going through it all in words, in silence. We already work a lot at other things. I'm glad the Cadbury Crème Egg is over. It seems right to bury it now. I'm not sure why exactly. I'm going to sleep now.
I love you all.
JA
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Is it just me? That BBC article about the debates is almost screaming to me saying - they only really want Ed Miliband there so that they can do their bashing without interruption.

There's never going to be a debate between Cameron and EM because Cameron is shit scared and knows he has no intelligence to combat the man they like to call a geek.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30935369
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Every Friday night I used to look forward to a two pack of jam and cream doughnuts, shared naturally with my Dad's three cats. It was one for them and one for me! This was a Friday evening ritual with the highlighter pen to mark off in the TV Guide what was worth watching for the following week. Sad, I know. But that's not all. A bar of Galaxy Chocolate .........

Then I had a P.E. clots on the lung and heart failure and was lucky to be revived and was then put on Warfarin. After that, I couldn't tolerate anything sweet, tomatoes, cucumber and picked onions. The last three items I am very pleased to report are, two years on, part of my weekly shopping but I never did get the taste back for anything sweet. So, life may be a box of chocolates ......... but nothing like that for me.
;)
P.S. Willie, Timmie and Sascha are all buried in Dad's garden now but Willie was 17+, Timmie a bit older and Sascha was just short of her 23rd!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jamie Reed ‏@jreedmp 36m36 minutes ago
#bbcqt Esther making no sense whatsoever. Literally no sense.
That's all we need to say about QT really. Perfect summary. :lol:
Working on the wild side.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Latest YouGov Poll (21 - 22 Jan): LAB - 33% (-1) CON - 31% (-2) UKIP - 17% (+3) GRN - 8% (-) LDEM - 7% (+1)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Guardian:"Labour support plummets as Lib Dem's soars"

BBC:" UKIP on course to form the next Government"

Esther McVey:"gbblyck er bodyheal err screech indistinct whining sound"
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:One other thing. Grim don't go. If its me that is pissing you off, I doubt I'll be around much. Doesn't seem much point. Before I wander off to get on with other things though, I'll just add the link below. Nothing to do with Green party stuff. When I saw it earlier I wanted to ask what people here thought.

http://akashictimes.co.uk/brits-with-un ... n-holiday/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd far rather you stayed. Losing two posters in rapid succession would be very sad indeed, and I find your posts interesting.

[edit] - just to add, I like to have my views and assumptions challenged here, otherwise when I'm out in the "real world", knocking on doors, I might not be prepared to argue coherently against whoever's on the other side of that door.
Thanks Ernst. I agree that having ones view challenged is useful. Especially when door knocking in the real world! But, it doesn't seem to be the general consensus on this forum. Contrary to Giselle's assertion the other day, I have never felt this was a forum open to alternative views. I tried because I hoped I was wrong. Latter posts about people feeling they have to 'bite their tongue' [believe you me, I know that feeling on this very forum], just confirms my belief that this is basically a Labour supporting forum and there isn't really a place for any dissenting voice.

I haven't forgotten about your local Greens and will be chasing that up again. By a different route as I said recently.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
Tizme1 wrote:One other thing. Grim don't go. If its me that is pissing you off, I doubt I'll be around much. Doesn't seem much point. Before I wander off to get on with other things though, I'll just add the link below. Nothing to do with Green party stuff. When I saw it earlier I wanted to ask what people here thought.

http://akashictimes.co.uk/brits-with-un ... n-holiday/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think that unpaid fines are one thing but extending it to 'unpaid bills' seems a bit OTT. What exactly do they mean by that? A bill that is due to be paid on a future date by cash, cheque, or Direct Debit? Anyone could close a bank account from overseas, I suppose. Or just bills that weren't paid by their due payment date? Or unpaid bills which were not paid within the normal payment time, nor after a reminder? Or would it be only after an unpaid bill had been placed in the hands of a collection agency – either truly independent of the supplier or posing as such but really an internal department by another name? Or only after the process had ended up with a small-claims court order or a CCJ? Too many questions but no firm answer from me.

And don't you go going, either, Tizme! All voices are valuable to me and I've learnt a lot from, and enjoyed, your posts. If there were no different viewpoints around we'd learn little and could just spend our time talking into echo-chambers.
Thanks for your response to the article Lady C. Also your comments. I think my response to Ernst mostly sums it up. Over all, as a Green, I'm about as welcome and useful as a dick at a convent here. The snide comments continue. I'm afraid I can't see any way past that unless I pretend not to believe what I believe and I simply can't do that.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

. . .
Tizme1 wrote: Thanks for your response to the article Lady C. Also your comments. I think my response to Ernst mostly sums it up. Over all, as a Green, I'm about as welcome and useful as a dick at a convent here. The snide comments continue. I'm afraid I can't see any way past that unless I pretend not to believe what I believe and I simply can't do that.
I see your point, Tizme, but believe you me you are much more welcome and useful here than a dick at a convent! It saddens me that we've already 'lost' Temulkar, at least in terms of posting. I think, personally, that we need all left-leaning voices here, regardless of Party affiliations. We've discussed, on the boards, the need for a Green Labour grouping (on the lines of Labour Women, etc.,) and I'd certainly sign up for that, along with others here. And I am someone who has voted Green in certain elections in some constituencies where I felt it could do more good than voting Labour. Labour and Green have much in common and it saddens me when difference is concentrated on rather than on shared values and aims.

Anyway, please don't disappear for ever. Drop in, at least, and let us know what's going on with you and with the Green Party. As someone said to me, a long long time ago, "Close the door – but don't lock it." xxx
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Tizme1 wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:

I think that unpaid fines are one thing but extending it to 'unpaid bills' seems a bit OTT. What exactly do they mean by that? A bill that is due to be paid on a future date by cash, cheque, or Direct Debit? Anyone could close a bank account from overseas, I suppose. Or just bills that weren't paid by their due payment date? Or unpaid bills which were not paid within the normal payment time, nor after a reminder? Or would it be only after an unpaid bill had been placed in the hands of a collection agency – either truly independent of the supplier or posing as such but really an internal department by another name? Or only after the process had ended up with a small-claims court order or a CCJ? Too many questions but no firm answer from me.

And don't you go going, either, Tizme! All voices are valuable to me and I've learnt a lot from, and enjoyed, your posts. If there were no different viewpoints around we'd learn little and could just spend our time talking into echo-chambers.
Thanks for your response to the article Lady C. Also your comments. I think my response to Ernst mostly sums it up. Over all, as a Green, I'm about as welcome and useful as a dick at a convent here. The snide comments continue. I'm afraid I can't see any way past that unless I pretend not to believe what I believe and I simply can't do that.
I've got/am a dick, and I've been made welcome overnight at a convent, in the depths of Spain, just outside Pamplona, at the age of eighteen. And my girlfriend at the time will vouch for that as she was there as well. Long story....

And I'd like to add my voice to the many who have said that you, and the squeaker, and any other posters that have fallen silent or withdrawn from the site will be much missed. Yes, there are likely to be tensions, disagreements, discussion. But if there's one thing that this haven is about is politics, and what is politics if it is not about debate, ideas and discussion? I reckon the best road to winning an argument is to have your philosophy tested, which, I recognise falls heavily on the Greens at the moment and promoted for perhaps nefarious electoral calculations by the incumbents. If we hold our collective nerve, keep talking and maybe we can all bring politics home from the land of Youreallthesame.

/postworkbeerfuelledpomposity Image
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

On other matters:

In my fridge I keep a bar of Waitrose Plain Continental Chocolate (72% min.,) Green & Blacks 85% choc, and at least one block of Willie's Cacao 100% Carenero Caco – the current one being Venezuelan Black. The bars get chopped into small pieces to savour. The 100% Cacao I grate into all sorts of meals – in stews, scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, curries, pies, cheese or vegetables sauces for pasta; on cheese on toast, pizza, steamed vegetables, venison; and, especially, mixed into porridge along with a spoonful of honey or bramble jelly, a grating of cinnamon or nutmeg, and a spoonful of clotted cream. Nowt wrong with having pudding for brekky, and it's made with half milk half water (lots of it) brought up to the boil whilst stirring then lid on and pushed to the back of the hob (on a range) or on top of the (turned off) hob but with the oven on low so it very slowly simmers down overnight to a creamy consistency.

I was greatly amused, earlier, when watching DP on iPlayer. AN referred to UKIP as the 'beer and fags party', which the then-live auto-subtitles displayed as 'beer and bags party' – then the blonde UKIP woman (Suzanne Edwards?) used the same phrase but it was displayed as the 'beer and fax party' :rofl:
There are times when these live subtitles land me in utter confusion but, thankfully, this time the error just tickled me.

Lastly, but by no means least, thanks to @ephe for those great posts, earlier, and a wave to the night-owls :hug:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

T-wit, and indeed t-whoo to you too, m'Lady.