Thursday 22nd January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
danesclose
Whip

Re: Thursday 22nd January 2015

Post by danesclose »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Smithson thinks Cameron won't agree - will find some way of weaselling out. And he thinks 7 participants is far too many to make them good debates.

DUP have already, apparently, said they should be included too. And Galloway has tweeted - 'what about me?'
Absolutely nailed on, that. I just hope that if he refuses to co-operate, the debates go ahead and he's empty chaired.
DUP can of course be excluded as they only stand in Northern Ireland and are single issue Union Union Union.

Galloway can be ignored because he is a bit of a muppet.

But Cameron will dodge them.
I thought Galloway was no longer leader of Respect
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Obviously I endorse everything that has already been said about TGS - IIRC they admitted to suffering "the black dog" before now, so I just hope that you are OK mate :hug:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson retweeted
James Forsyth @JGForsyth · 10m 10 minutes ago
Tory aim is to kill debates without getting blamed and it seems to be working as the Lib Dems reiterate demand to be included in all debates
Working on the wild side.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

It's going to be awful, too many people squashed on the stage, how will so many people 'debating' be anything other than unwieldy in that format ?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mike Smithson retweeted
James Forsyth @JGForsyth · 10m 10 minutes ago
Tory aim is to kill debates without getting blamed and it seems to be working as the Lib Dems reiterate demand to be included in all debates
Given their current polling, it's arguable that they should be excluded in favour of the Greens.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton @georgeeaton · 1h 1 hour ago
The DUP demand to be included in the TV debates - will the Tories support them? http://bit.ly/1Jdl9MK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Sorry to be so late to the chorus, but I've been at work all day without access to the 'Net: yet one more devotee of this site who'll be sorely disappointed if you go on with this suggestion that you'll drop out, Grim Squeaker. I always read your opinions with interest, you frequently make points I would if you weren't getting them in first, and whatever lies behind this failure in self-confidence, I think you know by now we have plenty in you. If you have to step away, make it a temporary absence while you deal with what's driving you, and know you can return whenever you choose.
The truth ferret speaks!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Just to remind us all what we are fighting against ... in case you needed reminding why we are all so het up at the prospect of 5 more years of THIS!
Cameron Sitting Comfortably.jpg
Cameron Sitting Comfortably.jpg (93.76 KiB) Viewed 7481 times
The shirt alone should get him excluded from public appearances.

TV debates: Cameron sits comfortably as smaller parties complain
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... -complain/
If his condition of including the Greens in the TV debates was to be met, David Cameron’s next hope of scuppering them was that the other parties got upset with the new proposals. Well, the proposals have only been out a few hours and already a lot of people are satisfyingly upset.
The DUP is complaining that it deserves a place if the SNP and Plaid Cymru are to be involved. And the Lib Dems are cross too because they are now relegated to two debate with six other parties where they will have very little opportunity to say anything of note. This evening a Lib Dem spokesman issued this statement:
‘We have only just received these new proposals. We have always been clear that as a party of government, we must be able to defend our record in all the TV debates. We will continue to make that case in our discussions with the broadcasters.’
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

I guess the Lib Dems will be ignored, so in reality Cameron still has the ball in his court. Nobody gives a toss about Galloway or the DUP and neither is credible if they bring a challenge.
Release the Guardvarks.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Goodnight all.

If anyone has contact with Grim elsewhere on the net/world, please tell them about our messages.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

All this fuss about the TV debate. Let them all have a go. Although 7-8 is a bit unwieldy. My solution?

Eight parties
Separate into 2 groups of 4
Work out percentage of voting intentions from polls in 2014
First group gets the 4 highest percentages
Second group gets the four lowest.
Make separate programme for each group
Run the programmes one after the other
Ask the same questions.

Simples.....
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Goodnight all.

If anyone has contact with Grim elsewhere on the net/world, please tell them about our messages.
He already had a message from someone on here, and I've left another.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

And if ITV, Channel 4 or the Beeb want to take up my suggestion my fees are very reasonable. :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ban fracking, says former Tory environment secretary Caroline Spelman
Conservative MP calls for fracking moratorium as Labour says fracking should not be allowed unless regulatory loopholes are closed

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... ne-spelman
... David Cameron has said the government is “going all out” for shale gas in the UK, claiming it would create jobs and cut the country’s reliance on imports. But opponents argue the high pressure fracturing of rocks to release gas risks health and environmental impacts and drives climate change.

Spelman’s demand for a halt to fracking was made in an amendment to a controversial government bill on which MPs will vote on Monday.

The amendment, which has the backing of half the MPs on the EAC, calls for a “moratorium on the hydraulic fracturing of shale gas deposits in order to reduce the risk of carbon budgets being breached.” This “reflects the conclusions” of an EAC inquiry which will be published on Monday and is expected to conclude that the push for fracking could derail efforts to tackle global warming...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

BBC to invoice Cameron’s parents if he doesn’t attend leaders’ party debate

h[url]ttp://www.newsbiscuit.com/2015/01/20/bbc-to-i ... ty-debate/[/url]
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

TV companies failing to sort out a fairly trivial problem. All too scared of the tories for some incomprehsible reason.

Why have they included SNP in an all-UK debate? I have no interest whatsoever in their policies. Same goes for Plaid. No offence meant but there should be separate debates on Scottish and Welsh TV.

Included to cloud the issue and allow Dave an escape route?

When it all falls apart Miliband should challenge all the leaders to a debate, mano a wo/mano
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Can I also ask where Angry As Well has got to? Did I miss something there? Been missing them. And also PF ... really missing PF who in the early FTN days I considered as the 'continuity' bod. And PK ... I miss PK posting as often as she used to. Glad to giselle back more.

I'm aware I probably post too much. I will happily cut right back if that would encourage others to be here more ...?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

mikems wrote:TV companies failing to sort out a fairly trivial problem. All too scared of the tories for some incomprehsible reason.

Why have they included SNP in an all-UK debate? I have no interest whatsoever in their policies. Same goes for Plaid. No offence meant but there should be separate debates on Scottish and Welsh TV.

Included to cloud the issue and allow Dave an escape route?

When it all falls apart Miliband should challenge all the leaders to a debate, mano a wo/mano
I've got no interest in hearing from Plaid ... and I live in Wales. Sorry - very directly snide, I know. But as you are all very very aware - they destroyed any progressive, green credibility they might have had with me with their appalling badger culling policy and inept handling of their Rural Affairs brief when in coalition here. They have serious form. And if the debates do go ahead ... and they take part ... someone should remind them of their hideous record on wildlife assassination attempts.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

One thing I hope Labour people learn from our current experience is that no matter how sensible and moderate you become, how adaptable and malleable you make yourself, if you dare to threaten ruling class interests just a little bit, the whole weight of the establishment is thrown at you.

So why compromise with such people? They are not democrats.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

[quote="rebeccariots2"]Can I also ask where Angry As Well has got to? Did I miss something there? Been missing them. And also PF ... really missing PF who in the early FTN days I considered as the 'continuity' bod. And PK ... I miss PK posting as often as she used to. Glad to giselle back more.

I'm aware I probably post too much. I will happily cut right back if that would encourage others to be here more ...?[/quote
Thanks for asking Rebecca, I love reading your posts :)
I stopped posting as I felt I had little to contribute that would not cause dissent. Over the last few weeks in particular I have been getting more and more upset - and angry - at the lies told by the Greens (locally and on line) about Labour. Not wishing to cause upset here by expressing my anger, I've taken to just reading.

This is nice
AntiAusterityUK
@AntiAusterityUK
News and Updates on the Anti-Austerity alliance between the Green Party, SNP, and Plaid Cymru - The Party of Wales in the 2015 UK General Elections.
https://twitter.com/AntiAusterityUK/with_replies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope the oh-so precious Greens know what they are doing with this "alliance".
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Can I also ask where Angry As Well has got to? Did I miss something there? Been missing them. And also PF ... really missing PF who in the early FTN days I considered as the 'continuity' bod. And PK ... I miss PK posting as often as she used to. Glad to giselle back more.

I'm aware I probably post too much. I will happily cut right back if that would encourage others to be here more ...?[/quote
I stopped posting as I felt I had little to contribute that would not cause dissent. Over the last few weeks in particular I have been getting more and more upset - and angry - at the lies told by the Greens (locally and on line) about Labour. Not wishing to cause upset here by expressing my anger, I've taken to just reading.

This is nice
AntiAusterityUK
@AntiAusterityUK
News and Updates on the Anti-Austerity alliance between the Green Party, SNP, and Plaid Cymru - The Party of Wales in the 2015 UK General Elections.
https://twitter.com/AntiAusterityUK/with_replies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you AAW. Lovely to hear from you. The reasons you've given for holding back from posting here now ... resonate with what TGS has said today. I can't muster my thoughts properly right now - feeling very shitty so resorted to a brandy - but I need to ponder on this - because it doesn't feel OK that some FTNers feel they have to self censor to the point where it is no longer worth contributing to the discussion. We don't want the extreme vitriol slinging matches that are increasingly going on BTL in the G and other places (and I'm not suggesting we've had those) - but we surely don't want people being silenced either.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

mikems wrote:One thing I hope Labour people learn from our current experience is that no matter how sensible and moderate you become, how adaptable and malleable you make yourself, if you dare to threaten ruling class interests just a little bit, the whole weight of the establishment is thrown at you.

So why compromise with such people? They are not democrats.
It's all about the class system.

A few years ago people were saying, oh that's long gone. Well it might have been forgotten by the middle classes, but not the uppers. The more well educated, healthy and questioning we are the less shit we take and the more we're able to compete for the top jobs. That threatens their positions.
Dave proves it by only taking on members of a close circle and those that went to Eton or other top schools. Ability has nothing to do with it.

After both the wars the upper class were very put out because there wasn't a big pool of labour for their estates. A lot had to sell up. Those that clung on were never able to return to plenty of affordable servants to keep things running.

This bunch of Conservatives have made a clumsy attempt to bring back the status quo. They'll go puce denying it, but it's bred into them that they are the ruling class.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Can I also ask where Angry As Well has got to? Did I miss something there? Been missing them. And also PF ... really missing PF who in the early FTN days I considered as the 'continuity' bod. And PK ... I miss PK posting as often as she used to. Glad to giselle back more.

This is nice
AntiAusterityUK
@AntiAusterityUK

Thank you AAW. Lovely to hear from you. The reasons you've given for holding back from posting here now ... resonate with what TGS has said today. I can't muster my thoughts properly right now - feeling very shitty so resorted to a brandy - but I need to ponder on this - because it doesn't feel OK that some FTNers feel they have to self censor to the point where it is no longer worth contributing to the discussion. We don't want the extreme vitriol slinging matches that are increasingly going on BTL in the G and other places (and I'm not suggesting we've had those) - but we surely don't want people being silenced either.
Thanks Rebecca, but no probs really I'm just as happy reading, and my mum always used to tell me "if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all" - seems good advice still.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Night PF :) Hope you're not ill.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

RobertSnozers wrote:
danesclose wrote:
refitman wrote:Leon Brittan has died.
David Icke has a not-unexpected take on it
Space lizards?
Not quite - Makes allegations about him & various other Thatcher-era Tories & their peccadilloes. Its available at http://www.davidicke.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Had a message from TGS. He says he was fed up biting his tongue and is touched at our concern. But then he always was touched :-)

He said the last bit too.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:Had a message from TGS. He says he was fed up biting his tongue and is touched at our concern. But then he always was touched :-)
Not by me he wasn't.

And I will take anybody to court who says otherwise.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

A new low for the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... ledge.html

Ed's statement is both amusing, light hearted and quite normal.

But I detect a fifth column in the editorial team, that is a cracking picture of him.
Release the Guardvarks.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

ohsocynical wrote:Had a message from TGS. He says he was fed up biting his tongue and is touched at our concern. But then he always was touched :-)

It's only the internet, we're all adults looking for debate. The only time you need to bite your tongue here is posting when very grumpy regarding the country's situation when it could sound personal but again... it's just the internet.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

diGriz wrote:

It's only the internet, we're all adults looking for debate. The only time you need to bite your tongue here is posting when very grumpy regarding the country's situation when it could sound personal but again... it's just the internet.
The bit in bold is almost the very definition of the internet :D
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Right, important stuff. The great Cadbury Creme Egg scandal.

Just tried one, utterly crap a truly horrid experience with a hideous aftertaste.

After many years of eating them I will never touch another one.
(my bold)
Yep!

The hideous after taste is the result of degrading the fondant egg chocolate casing. Bizarre tangy taste.

I loved the original Cadbury Crème Eggs. I knew there'd probably come a day I'd savour them no more. I accept what I can't change.

Damn, it's tough - please, everyone, anything you can recommend to me in the way of a superior confection, let me know. Superior doesn't necessarily mean costly.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:Right, important stuff. The great Cadbury Creme Egg scandal.

Just tried one, utterly crap a truly horrid experience with a hideous aftertaste.

(my bold)
Yep!

The hideous after taste is the result of degrading the fondant egg chocolate casing. Bizarre tangy taste.

I loved the original Cadbury Crème Eggs. I knew there'd probably come a day I'd savour them no more. I accept what I can't change.

Damn, it's tough - please, everyone, anything you can recommend to me in the way of a superior confection, let me know. Superior doesn't necessarily mean costly.
You've got me going now Citizen. As a kid I used to love - and I mean luuurrvvve - Walnut Whips - remember them? I'm sure if I had one now I would realise how disgustingly inferior all its ingredients and the finished product were ... but then they symbolized a real treat (we were very poor). They lost their allure somewhat in my youth when Steve Bell and other cartoonists used to depict Ronald Reagan with walnut whip like hair. And then they were gone from the shelves.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:

(my bold)
Yep!

The only thing that comes near to how chocolate used to taste is from Aldi's. If you can get to one of their stores it's well worth it.

I prefer milk chocolate although I was never that fond of Cadbury's creme eggs, they've always been far too sweet for me. I think the filling took sweetness a step too far.
I haven't had one for years.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

(my bold)
Yep!

The only thing that comes near to how chocolate used to taste is from Aldi's. If you can get to one of their stores it's well worth it.

I prefer milk chocolate although I was never that fond of Cadbury's creme eggs, they've always been far too sweet for me. I think the filling took sweetness a step too far.
Until they screwed over the chocolate this year they were a great pleasure. The new product is just shit. Don't buy it, thin shell, crappy taste, sub cooking chocolate standard.

Anybody know what the Galaxy equivalent is like?

Of course if you want quality chocolate the answer is Belgium or Green and Blacks.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

(my bold)
Yep!

You've got me going now Citizen. As a kid I used to love - and I mean luuurrvvve - Walnut Whips - remember them? I'm sure if I had one now I would realise how disgustingly inferior all its ingredients and the finished product were ... but then they symbolized a real treat (we were very poor). They lost their allure somewhat in my youth when Steve Bell and other cartoonists used to depict Ronald Reagan with walnut whip like hair. And then they were gone from the shelves.

have a niece who from the time she was tiny with her little bit of pocket money always brought Mr Ohso a walnut whip for Christmas. He's never been a great one for eating chocolate, but he enthused and I would eat it on the quiet so as not to hurt her feelings.
She's in her forties now and still includes a walnut whip for him at Christmas. [you can still get them] but I can tell you they are nothing like they used to be. They're nasty.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:(my bold)
Yep!

Until they screwed over the chocolate this year they were a great pleasure. The new product is just shit. Don't buy it, thin shell, crappy taste, sub cooking chocolate standard.

Anybody know what the Galaxy equivalent is like?

Of course if you want quality chocolate the answer is Belgium or Green and Blacks.
You'll probably find there's no actual chocolate in them now. When you look at the contents of American based foods it's like looking at the contents of a chemists shop.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

January 22, 2015 9:02 pm
David Cameron’s bluff called on UK televised poll debates

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/312af904-a264 ... ab7de.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Under the new plans, put to politicians on Thursday, there would be two debates on the BBC and ITV involving the Tories, Labour, Lib Dems, SNP, Ukip, Greens and Plaid Cymru.
The third clash would be a two-way debate between Mr Cameron and Mr Miliband, hosted by Kay Burley and Jeremy Paxman and shown on Sky and Channel 4.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

(my bold)
Yep!

You can still get them.

This Cadbury's thing highlights my big bugbear at the moment, with all of the stories about the rise of obesity and sugar taxes etc, If you are hungry it's because your body needs nutrients (or water) yet the food companies provide foodstuffs that are the cheapest possible option regarding cost to them and making the most profits. There's nothing wrong with sugar per se in a balanced diet, which you don't get if you meal has had the fibre removed to make it last longer on the shelves. Stuffed full of additives which your body also has to process, if there is too much of it the additives are stored in fat cells until your body can safely process them.

Natural food (the cave man diet for example) is what your body needs. This egg thing, and I did love those eggs, is another case of making more profits. And as this goes on the government berate the public for eating too much yet don't question why they haven't satisfied their hunger. Over the last year or so I lost 2 1/2 stone by learning how to eat, I'm well within the BMI, I can eat chocolate every day and not gain anything, over xmas I gained 3 pounds and lost it a week later. It's not rocket science.

Fully expect in the next year or so someone suggesting drinking water with meals, very handy for diluting the sugars (especially carbs) and stopping that sleepy feeling you get with the insulin rush. If you crave a food, work out what it is in it that your body wants. Recently I was starving for something savory, I took a pinch of rock salt (yup, the refined stuff loses nutrients too) and didn't feel hungry for the rest of the day.

We'll also see something else happen in the next few decades, the baby boomers with poor but natural diets post war (until the end of the 60s) will be living longer, my generation (the kids of the BBers) have been eating processed crap most of our lives. People of my generation and onwards will be popping our clogs at a younger age and a rise in all of these weight related illnesses.

Those going to food banks are worst off, I've seen the lists of foods available and it's a big problem. And what do the government do about these large corporations feeding us swill? Take their funding.

Rant over. Thought for the day? Remember what your gran ate and how she prepared it.

[edit] Oh and watch what happens to our food if the blue toffs manage to destroy even more regulations, a good example would be the difference between bangers and sausages.
Last edited by diGriz on Thu 22 Jan, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

This looks like a good plan for Ed I reckon :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

diGriz wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:(my bold)
Yep!

You can still get them.

This Cadbury's thing highlights my big bugbear at the moment, with all of the stories about the rise of obesity and sugar taxes etc, If you are hungry it's because your body needs nutrients (or water) yet the food companies provide foodstuffs that are the cheapest possible option regarding cost to them and making the most profits. There's nothing wrong with sugar per se in a balanced diet, which you don't get if you meal has had the fibre removed to make it last longer on the shelves. Stuffed full of additives which your body also has to process, if there is too much of it the additives are stored in fat cells until your body can safely process them.

Natural food (the cave man diet for example) is what your body needs. This egg thing, and I did love those eggs, is another case of making more profits. And as this goes on the government berate the public for eating too much yet don't question why they haven't satisfied their hunger. Over the last year or so I lost 2 1/2 stone by learning how to eat, I'm well within the BMI, I can eat chocolate every day and not gain anything, over xmas I gained 3 pounds and lost it a week later. It's not rocket science.

Fully expect in the next year or so someone suggesting drinking water with meals, very handy for diluting the sugars (especially carbs) and stopping that sleepy feeling you get with the insulin rush. If you crave a food, work out what it is in it that your body wants. Recently I was starving for something savory, I took a pinch of rock salt (yup, the refined stuff loses nutrients too) and didn't feel hungry for the rest of the day.

We'll also see something else happen in the next few decades, the baby boomers with poor but natural diets post war (until the end of the 60s) will be living longer, my generation (the kids of the BBers) have been eating processed crap most of our lives. People of my generation and onwards will be popping our clogs at a younger age and a rise in all of these weight related illnesses.

Those going to food banks are worst off, I've seen the lists of foods available and it's a big problem. And what do the government do about these large corporations feeding us swill? Take their funding.

Rant over. Thought for the day? Remember what your gran ate and how she prepared it.

[edit] Oh and watch what happens to our food if the blue toffs manage to destroy even more regulations, a good example would be the difference between bangers and sausages.
My American husband has/had seven brothers and sisters. Everyone of them, most of their children, and their children's children have type two diabetes. Our daughter lives in the US. She developed it in her forties. They all have weight problems. It has to be the diet.
Mr Ohso and our son who is also in his forties and lives here, don't have it although Mr Ohso is borderline and is a serious junk food addict but I just slap him down and make sure he eats correctly. My sons wife is type 1 so they are very careful about what food goes into their house.
Some of the recipes the US relatives cook makes me feel physically sick.
The danger is our food is becoming more and more Americanised especially with the increasing addition of corn syrup which is a baddie.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

citizenJA wrote:

(my bold)
Yep!

Certainly! Stop eating crap chocolate, by which I mean the filth the Yanks want us to get used to (no chance) and the shit that Cadbury's have churned out for too long, IMO. The way to go is continental chocolate. Once you get a taste for high cocoa dark European chocolate, you won't be heading back in a hurry.

My eyes were opened many years ago by Green & Black chocs, after a brief sojourn in France, and having tasted 90% chocolate - I'm not a great consumer of chocs at best, preferring pork knockers - I realised that my childhood and milk teeth had been ruined by shit confectionary.

(invokes emoticon of huge tasselled marching band in uniforms stomping down the road with a vast "SAY NO! TO SHIT CONFECTIONARY" banner)

Like so many other things culinary or lush, dark chocolate done the European way is the biz. I can't say the same about sausages, thobut. To me, a 100% meat German sausage is too much a reminder of the bollocks and entrails that make it up. British sausages contain rusk, and that's actually vital in ensuring that fats are soaked up and transmitted through the 'meat' and that the sausage as a whole has a consistency. There's little worse (in the comestible sense, not talking about slave labour, death camps or American chocolate at this point) than eating a sausage to find direct evidence of testicular input. Yeeuch.

I hope this public information posting has been of use to you all. You're welcome.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

ohsocynical wrote:
diGriz wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: You've got me going now Citizen. As a kid I used to love - and I mean luuurrvvve - Walnut Whips - remember them? I'm sure if I had one now I would realise how disgustingly inferior all its ingredients and the finished product were ... but then they symbolized a real treat (we were very poor). They lost their allure somewhat in my youth when Steve Bell and other cartoonists used to depict Ronald Reagan with walnut whip like hair. And then they were gone from the shelves.
You can still get them.

My American husband has/had seven brothers and sisters. Everyone of them, most of their children, and their children's children have type two diabetes. Our daughter lives in the US. She developed it in her forties. They all have weight problems. It has to be the diet.
Mr Ohso and our son who is also in his forties and lives here, don't have it although Mr Ohso is borderline and is a serious junk food addict but I just slap him down and make sure he eats correctly. My sons wife is type 1 so they are very careful about what food goes into their house.
Some of the recipes the US relatives cook makes me feel physically sick.
The danger is our food is becoming more and more Americanised especially with the increasing addition of corn syrup which is a baddie.
There is something doing the rounds on facebook in regard to McDonalds fries. Grim reading.

Where I work it's near impossible to find anything decent to eat for lunch. I don't ask for much. But an entire high street? There's one sandwich shop with delicious fresh bread and lovely filling but I rarely eat bread now. It's my treat but what do I do for the rest of the week?

But yes, the whole Americanisation of our society is ruining us.

I have a few irons in the fire, if they don't pay off in the next year or so and the tories or libcons get in then I'm off. And no idle threats like Paul Daniels, just sell up and go find somewhere off of the US hegemonic radar. It's a big world out there.

Re-reading your post I start to wonder if food companies and drug companies are doing this on purpose. I have a friend whose doctor keeps insisting she is type two and keeps testing her. She feels fine and refuses to let him bully her. Sometimes I do despair at what we've become and how it's been allowed to happen. I know whose fault it is and I want them out of government for good.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Above,

Not quite that simple of course, high cocoa chocolate is something I enjoy but not everybody will. Creme Eggs (new version) and Hershey's aside -both abominations- even distinctly average British stuff can hit the spot. Best cafe I ever visited gave you a set of chocolate options for your mocha which included a nuclear South American offering at a stunningly high cocoa level.

Terry's dark chocolate orange is of course an art form.
Release the Guardvarks.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Tizme1 wrote:One other thing. Grim don't go. If its me that is pissing you off, I doubt I'll be around much. Doesn't seem much point. Before I wander off to get on with other things though, I'll just add the link below. Nothing to do with Green party stuff. When I saw it earlier I wanted to ask what people here thought.

http://akashictimes.co.uk/brits-with-un ... n-holiday/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think that unpaid fines are one thing but extending it to 'unpaid bills' seems a bit OTT. What exactly do they mean by that? A bill that is due to be paid on a future date by cash, cheque, or Direct Debit? Anyone could close a bank account from overseas, I suppose. Or just bills that weren't paid by their due payment date? Or unpaid bills which were not paid within the normal payment time, nor after a reminder? Or would it be only after an unpaid bill had been placed in the hands of a collection agency – either truly independent of the supplier or posing as such but really an internal department by another name? Or only after the process had ended up with a small-claims court order or a CCJ? Too many questions but no firm answer from me.

And don't you go going, either, Tizme! All voices are valuable to me and I've learnt a lot from, and enjoyed, your posts. If there were no different viewpoints around we'd learn little and could just spend our time talking into echo-chambers.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

(my bold)
Yep!

Certainly! Stop eating crap chocolate, by which I mean the filth the Yanks want us to get used to (no chance) and the shit that Cadbury's have churned out for too long, IMO. The way to go is continental chocolate. Once you get a taste for high cocoa dark European chocolate, you won't be heading back in a hurry.

My eyes were opened many years ago by Green & Black chocs, after a brief sojourn in France, and having tasted 90% chocolate - I'm not a great consumer of chocs at best, preferring pork knockers - I realised that my childhood and milk teeth had been ruined by shit confectionary.

(invokes emoticon of huge tasselled marching band in uniforms stomping down the road with a vast "SAY NO! TO SHIT CONFECTIONARY" banner)

Like so many other things culinary or lush, dark chocolate done the European way is the biz. I can't say the same about sausages, thobut. To me, a 100% meat German sausage is too much a reminder of the bollocks and entrails that make it up. British sausages contain rusk, and that's actually vital in ensuring that fats are soaked up and transmitted through the 'meat' and that the sausage as a whole has a consistency. There's little worse (in the comestible sense, not talking about slave labour, death camps or American chocolate at this point) than eating a sausage to find direct evidence of testicular input. Yeeuch.

I hope this public information posting has been of use to you all. You're welcome.
I loved wartime chipolatas, which by the time rationing came to and end were almost entirely rusk, pork fat and seasoning and they were the bees knees. They were vicious to cook. They spat and hissed and split into all sorts of strange shapes and were phased out due to Common market regulations because they contained so little meat. To this day I get a craving for them.
Years ago Tesco started selling 'wartime' sausages and they were damn near perfect, but then they disappeared off the shelves. Since then I've tried just about every type and brand of sausage on the market, and don't like 'em.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I agree with ohso, Aldi's the place for chocolate. Try the smooth praline.
Sainsbury's own brand Belgian is very nice too.

I've always hated creme eggs, the filling is too sweet.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Above,

Not quite that simple of course, high cocoa chocolate is something I enjoy but not everybody will. Creme Eggs (new version) and Hershey's aside -both abominations- even distinctly average British stuff can hit the spot. Best cafe I ever visited gave you a set of chocolate options for your mocha which included a nuclear South American offering at a stunningly high cocoa level.

Terry's dark chocolate orange is of course an art form.

Can't disagree with any of that. I appreciate that many Brits don't do dark choc - I didn't when I was younger, eyeing it suspiciously as some sort of interloper into the comfy middle class childhood I'd enjoyed with Curly Wurlies and associated crap - but after my palate began to appreciate beer, strong cheese, pickles, proper curries (not the shit yer mam gave you that had raisins, beef mince and dessicaed coconut, all swilling about in a watery gravy) and other exotic departures from the 1970s fare for most people, it occurred to me that the world was full of decent tucker, but it would require finding, since my dear, mad old mum with her cod balls (go on, look them up) and horrid curries as alluded to above, and notwithstanding the luxury of spam, egg and chips every fortnightwas probably not the oracle I was seeking for food enlightenment.

Rather different now. It's still a bit strange though that the WeeBundle will eat shit chocolate and chicken nuggets until she passes into a diabetic coma (no, she doesn't have it before you ask) before she'll consider a taste of baba ganoush or even lamb samber. We've come a long way baby.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

RobertSnozers wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:A new low for the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... ledge.html

Ed's statement is both amusing, light hearted and quite normal.

But I detect a fifth column in the editorial team, that is a cracking picture of him.
Someone slipped up with that pic. What's the betting it will be replaced by the bacon sandwich one by tomorrow?

Actually, I think Ed is doing himself a disservice. It's entirely true that PMQs is an utter waste of everyone's time, and that's largely fish-pointer's fault. But some of the facts and case studies Ed has brought to the dispatch box and utterly flummoxed Cameron with have been genuinely enlightening.
After the incident in France and the mention of the rise in anti-Semitism in the UK I doubt that photo will be used again. Nor the use of the word weird. Too much has happened of late to allow the press to express their true feelings.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

diGriz, I hope you're right.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn