Friday, 23rd January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Re: Friday, 23rd January 2015

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Martin Rowson @MartinRowson · 1h 1 hour ago
Just filed tomorrow's Graun cartoon. Those Saudis - they can take a joke, can't they? Course they can!

:o
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Housing march to protest against lack of affordable homes in London
Demonstrators to urge leaders to help residents faced with rising rents rather than allow more luxury flats targeted at investors

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... mes-london
Remember when Boris declared there would be no social cleansing under his watch?

That should be given right back at him - and Cameron & co - time and time and time again.
Working on the wild side.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Iain Dale @IainDale · 13h 13 hours ago
Rather hilariously, Caroline Lucas thinks she should represent the Greens in one of the TV debates. #GreenPowerGrab

@xCllrAnnMarie She. Is. Not. The. Leader. What part of that is so difficult to understand? These are "leaders debates".
To be fair ... she was responding to a question from Andrew Neil asking whether it would be her or Natalie Bennett doing the debates. She then said it had yet to be discussed and decided on ... if they took part in just one it would clearly be Bennett, but if they were at two then maybe they could each do one of them. And she pointed out that the Green Party in Scotland is actually a separate party. Would the broadcasters allow a non leader representative, or a non national leader? Makes you then think - what's the point, where's the balance - we could reach a stage where each of the parties could just put up the MP they thought could handle the debates the best - Cameron could stick Gove up there as his proxy (feeling a bit sick at that thought). Total spin fest.
Then why did he say on LBC earlier that Alex Salmond could be nominated to to represent his party in the leaders debate?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

diGriz wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Rather hilariously, Caroline Lucas thinks she should represent the Greens in one of the TV debates. #GreenPowerGrab

@xCllrAnnMarie She. Is. Not. The. Leader. What part of that is so difficult to understand? These are "leaders debates".
To be fair ... she was responding to a question from Andrew Neil asking whether it would be her or Natalie Bennett doing the debates. She then said it had yet to be discussed and decided on ... if they took part in just one it would clearly be Bennett, but if they were at two then maybe they could each do one of them. And she pointed out that the Green Party in Scotland is actually a separate party. Would the broadcasters allow a non leader representative, or a non national leader? Makes you then think - what's the point, where's the balance - we could reach a stage where each of the parties could just put up the MP they thought could handle the debates the best - Cameron could stick Gove up there as his proxy (feeling a bit sick at that thought). Total spin fest.
Then why did he say on LBC earlier that Alex Salmond could be nominated to to represent his party in the leaders debate?
Who is he? If it's Andrew Neil then he's just carrying on with his mischief making. If it's Cameron ... and I don't think it can be ... he's just ... clucking daft.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

diGriz wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

If they can't be bothered to put up their actual party leaders then empty chair both of them.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF.

I have missed saying that to you (small sickly violin playing as I write). :D
Here ye' go Image

Actually, while I'm at it, here's one for us lurkers every time we break cover.... Image
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ephemerid wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Reeves Tweeted congratulations for the drop in unemployment the other day...I [replied] said: Goodness. She didn't believe the DWP figures did she?

Worrying. I'm just hoping it's a strategy to keep Labour voters who have also been screaming about 'scroungers' [and there are a lot of them] on board.

Reeves is an idiot.

58,000 more people in work. In a month.
66,000 more people "economically inactive", ie. not working and not claiming benefit.

That's 8,000 more people in a month disappearing from any measure of anything.
No work, no benefits, no nothing.

Unpersons.

Economically inactive can be people like my Mum, who at 56 had had enough of work. Had she been harder up or my dad had not been working, she couldn't have done that. So she wasn't an unperson. She was doing what she wanted.

Had she had to go on working longer, it would have been a sign of worse family finances.

I think labour market experts do think there's been some improvement in unemployment. Wages is the big problem.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

mbc1955 wrote:
yahyah wrote:Image

Clegg's local Lib Dems using Ashcroft's polling to bar chart Labour as contenders in Sheffield Hallam.
So, let me get this straight. This is the Party Leader's consitutuency, the Deputy Prime Minister. And the electionerring consists of: 'Don't let Labour win, anything, even voting for us, but that.'

Self-awareness is at an all-time low in Politics.
Where is the other 11%?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Hobiejoe wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF.

I have missed saying that to you (small sickly violin playing as I write). :D
Here ye' go Image

Actually, while I'm at it, here's one for us lurkers every time we break cover.... Image
I like that.

Code: Select all

:lurk:
:lurk:
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

ephemerid wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Reeves Tweeted congratulations for the drop in unemployment the other day...I [replied] said: Goodness. She didn't believe the DWP figures did she?

Worrying. I'm just hoping it's a strategy to keep Labour voters who have also been screaming about 'scroungers' [and there are a lot of them] on board.

Reeves is an idiot.

58,000 more people in work. In a month.
66,000 more people "economically inactive", ie. not working and not claiming benefit.

That's 8,000 more people in a month disappearing from any measure of anything.
No work, no benefits, no nothing.

Unpersons.

Meant to say - there are many people just dropping out of view.

1.9 Million adverse decisions (ie. sanction referrals resulting in a disallowance of benefit) made since 2011.
400,000 people from that 1.9 Million found work according to DWP - we do not know what work, or how long it lasted for.

The remaining 1.6 Million did not find work. For varying periods, 4 weeks minimum, they got no benefit either.

Reeves should not be congratulating the government on this nonsense - she should be talking, no, shouting, about the missing people.

The people who get no money for weeks on end and just give up - if I was sanctioned for the average length of time, 3 months, would I bother carrying on? Bearing in mind every single day I'd be at risk of another sanction, and a third would mean no benefits for 3 years?
No. I'd bugger off for good - because if I did go back I would still have to serve out the sanction from the date of the new claim.

That's what she should be doing. And that's just sanctions, and there will more of them if the UC she says she hopes to rescue comes in and they will apply to working people and carers too.

She is useless.
This is well worth reading, it's the diary of someone who has been sanctioned and has fought it by quoting the law back at them:
http://www.thesanctionedjobseeker.co.uk ... jobseeker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's a damning indictment of the DWP if this is how difficult they make it for anyone who is sanctioned to provide evidence in their defence, and if this is the process of sanctioning then they are acting unlawfully in pretty much every instance.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Bea Campbell speaking on Any Questions on behalf of the Greens. Going through many of the same arguments discussed here.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: Is this f$%^%$ serious???
I'm wondering if his work on child abuse was as much about it being high profile and he'd get the coverage...Hope I'm wrong, but I'm very cynical these days.
I assume he is taking the piss.
Did you hear the BBC radio 4 broadcast from his father's local pub a few weeks ago? His father's thinking of voting UKIP. He's the hanging, flogging, today's youngsters can't get out of bed sort.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Anyone else reckon that Simple Simon will defect before the election?!

After all, isn't that what self publicist, narcissistic ***** do?!
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Have just seen Tony Blair's tweet on the passing of this repellent despot - the only possible response is :sick:

Verdicts vary on his time in office, and that will remain the case - but there will be virtual unanimity that his behaviour since 2007 demeaned both himself and the PMship once held. Even his usual media apologists mostly maintain an embarrassed silence about it, revealingly.
When I think of what he and his government achieved in Northern Ireland... only for it to come to this. The bizarre thing is that Blair genuinely seemed to be convinced of the need to get rid of Saddam Hussein, only to align himself with other despots in the region without any qualms at all. He said Mubarrak was a force for good, for heaven's sake! Was it only ever about geopolitics, balance of power, narrow national interest?

Edit: Just seen the tweet. Not quite Thatcher and Pinochet, yet, but heading in that direction.
Jesus it has come to this.

I agree with Mensch.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 98709.html

Let's be clear - The Queen regards royalty as important, she doesn't give a shit about how many plebs they have killed.

Why will the UK wake up to this and kick her to the curb.
I'm guessing she will say she has been hacked but in this one instance I find a modicum of respect for her.

I... I... I don't know what is going on... Am I dreaming?

:shock:
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Anyone else reckon that Simple Simon will defect before the election?!

After all, isn't that what self publicist, narcissistic ***** do?!
Afraid Labour is stuck with the tosser.

:toss: :sick: :smack:
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Spacedone wrote:
diGriz wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: To be fair ... she was responding to a question from Andrew Neil asking whether it would be her or Natalie Bennett doing the debates. She then said it had yet to be discussed and decided on ... if they took part in just one it would clearly be Bennett, but if they were at two then maybe they could each do one of them. And she pointed out that the Green Party in Scotland is actually a separate party. Would the broadcasters allow a non leader representative, or a non national leader? Makes you then think - what's the point, where's the balance - we could reach a stage where each of the parties could just put up the MP they thought could handle the debates the best - Cameron could stick Gove up there as his proxy (feeling a bit sick at that thought). Total spin fest.
If they can't be bothered to put up their actual party leaders then empty chair both of them.
Yes. Enough's enough. Now they have their chance they should get on with it.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

diGriz wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: When I think of what he and his government achieved in Northern Ireland... only for it to come to this. The bizarre thing is that Blair genuinely seemed to be convinced of the need to get rid of Saddam Hussein, only to align himself with other despots in the region without any qualms at all. He said Mubarrak was a force for good, for heaven's sake! Was it only ever about geopolitics, balance of power, narrow national interest?

Edit: Just seen the tweet. Not quite Thatcher and Pinochet, yet, but heading in that direction.
Jesus it has come to this.

I agree with Mensch.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 98709.html

Let's be clear - The Queen regards royalty as important, she doesn't give a shit about how many plebs they have killed.

Why will the UK wake up to this and kick her to the curb.
I'm guessing she will say she has been hacked but in this one instance I find a modicum of respect for her.

I... I... I don't know what is going on... Am I dreaming?

:shock:
It is a shocker isn't it. I am sure normal service will be resumed tomorrow.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Ephemerid
Reeves should not be congratulating the government on this nonsense - she should be talking, no, shouting, about the missing people.
You're right, she shouldn't & she's not.
Reeves isn't cheer-leading for recent Tory 'job growth' figures.
I posted the truncated message & the rest of her message to show that she's not.
Your criticism of Reeves here isn't fair.
Ephemerid

And what does she choose to drone on about?

Labourcostoflivingjobsguaranteehardworkingfamilieslosing£1600ayearyaddayaddayadda.

Well done, Rachel, have a biscuit.

I'm done with this for now. You may all breathe a sigh of relief.

I am now drooling over the one, the only......on Sport Wales.....David Ginola. (Swoons)
Reeves has been here the last few days, in the Midlands, working with the brightest of Labour's candidates, Natasha Millward, the first woman to seek election in the Dudley South constituency. She's challenging the Tory, Chris Kelly. Reeves reiterated Labour's commitment to binning the Bedroom Tax. She's canvassed with Millward.
I think you'd like Millward.
She's wonderful.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2015 ... droom-tax/

Now, I don't know but what you're right & Reeves is, in fact, a poor leader & in the wrong job. I've not seen or heard enough to distrust her work as you seem to distrust her. I could easily be wrong.

I put myself in Reeves position.

'Useless', Ephemerid?
Uncalled for.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:On a lighter note....

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... mands-hmrc
One agent to top players, who also did not want to be named, said he believed there had been a culture of seeking to minimise tax bills. He said that although the players earned salaries way beyond the realities of ordinary people, the consequent size of the tax bills leads richer people to resent paying tax more than the less well paid.
Size matters - relative size that is.

Takes me back to these tweets from Alex Andreou earlier today:
Alex Andreou @sturdyAlex · 14h 14 hours ago
So, people with a median income of £8k lose £1,200; those with on £77k lost £2,400. Gov't says this is fair. Consider the impact on each.

Alex Andreou @sturdyAlex · 13h 13 hours ago
Giant difference between losing £2k of your £80kpa and losing £1k of your £8kpa. The former means less eating out; the latter, less eating.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Evening al.

Thanks to all for their messages of support; as Ohso said on my behalf, I was genuinely touched (and I have the negatives to prove it). Ernst, message received and understood, thank you.

Flying visit this evening. The Last Leg, which is probably the only decent satirical programme left to us, has the always glorious Kathy Burke on as their guest this evening. And it seems Clegg has backed out of his promise to persuade Alex Brooker why it is important he votes (he'll be on next week, allegedly); so Alastair Campbell has stepped up to the plate, which could be fun. Whether Adam Hills can top last week's epic rant remains to be seen.

[youtube]wZwjMrhGoZs[/youtube]

Re. la Mensch, I'd be more impressed if I didn't think she it was all about her, and not the issue, as per usual. And has Caroline Lucas forgotten why she said stepped down from the leadership; looks like UKIP is not the only party with ego clashes at the top.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... down-green" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May catch you over the weekend. Tatty bye.
Last edited by refitman on Fri 23 Jan, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: video fixed
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Evening al.

Thanks to all for their messages of support; as Ohso said on my behalf, I was genuinely touched (and I have the negatives to prove it). Ernst, message received and understood, thank you.

Flying visit this evening. The Last Leg, which is probably the only decent satirical programme left to us, has the always glorious Kathy Burke on as their guest this evening. And it seems Clegg has backed out of his promise to persuade Alex Brooker why it is important he votes (he'll be on next week, allegedly); so Alastair Campbell has stepped up to the plate, which could be fun. Whether Adam Hills can top last week's epic rant remains to be seen.

[youtube]wZwjMrhGoZs&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Re. la Mensch, I'd be more impressed if I didn't think she it was all about her, and not the issue, as per usual. And has Caroline Lucas forgotten why she said stepped down from the leadership; looks like UKIP is not the only party with ego clashes at the top.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... down-green" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May catch you over the weekend. Tatty bye.
I would have liked a super thanks button to press for that post TGS. Tatty bye just for now.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

In passing.....

I've really, really enjoyed Tweeting for FTN. But....

I have a new work pattern which means I can't nip on to Twitter so easily, and...

I worry that in the run up to the GE I won't be able to keep the party political balance I think is apposite.

So, I'm not resigning but are there others here who could fancy a Tweet? Ohso and Refitman do and maybe others. Just PM one of us for the login and get going ;-)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Alex Andreou @sturdyAlex · 1h 1 hour ago
@Staircase2 I've blocked. I advise you to do likewise. It's like discussing philosophy with a wheely bin.
Oh I say. That's got to be the put down of the century.
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

citizenJA wrote:
Ephemerid
I posted the truncated message & the rest of her message to show that she's not.
The Work & Pensions Committee heard evidence on sanctions this week, part of that evidence was from Prof David Stuckler, who presented this:
The Oxford-based research showed that between June 2011 and March 2014, more than 1.9m sanctions were imposed on people receiving jobseeker’s allowance (JSA), with 43% of those sanctioned subsequently ceasing to try to claim the benefit. Only 20% of those who left gave as their stated reason that they had found work.

https://orderoftruth.wordpress.com/2015 ... omtax-ids/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reeves, instead of congratulating the government, should have been linking the fall in unemployment to the increase in sanctions and, secondly, highlighting the hardship that it brings.

Reeves was wrong on this - she needs to be attacking the government and showing up their callousness for all to see.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Entertaining football game on TV.

Cambridge United being made to look distinctly average by some sort of pub team.
Release the Guardvarks.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Teresa Crawford retweeted
Ben Riley-Smith ‏@benrileysmith 7h7 hours ago
BREAKING - Labour sign up to new TV debates. "We will debate anyone the broadcasters choose to invite." Over to you, Tories.

:lol:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Entertaining football game on TV.

Cambridge United being made to look distinctly average by some sort of pub team.
Anatoly? PK? Any comment? :twisted:
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Look out for the new hashtag #FinishTheTories starting tomorrow evening :fight:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

WelshIan wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Ephemerid
The Work & Pensions Committee heard evidence on sanctions this week, part of that evidence was from Prof David Stuckler, who presented this:
The Oxford-based research showed that between June 2011 and March 2014, more than 1.9m sanctions were imposed on people receiving jobseeker’s allowance (JSA), with 43% of those sanctioned subsequently ceasing to try to claim the benefit. Only 20% of those who left gave as their stated reason that they had found work.

https://orderoftruth.wordpress.com/2015 ... omtax-ids/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reeves, instead of congratulating the government, should have been linking the fall in unemployment to the increase in sanctions and, secondly, highlighting the hardship that it brings.

Reeves was wrong on this - she needs to be attacking the government and showing up their callousness for all to see.
Worrying although I guess she's between a rock and hard place. I know so many working class people who are - still - happy to slam 'benefit scroungers.'

If Labour don't tread very carefully they're going to lose a huge swathe of working class votes to UKIP. Sadly benefits and immigration seem to be joined up and at the forefront of their brains, so because they'd never vote Tory, they're flirting with UKIP.

Many MPs have said Universal credit is a jolly good idea in theory, but in reality it doesn't work. I'm hoping once Ed gets in he'll order a complete investigation and then announce they're going to drop or re-jig it.

He's a very canny politician. He'll want to be seen doing things by the book and proving whether it works or not. It's what he said he would do.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Louise Hartles ‏@Squish815 9m9 minutes ago
Is the Guardian website down?
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Louise Hartles ‏@Squish815 9m9 minutes ago
Is the Guardian website down?
I imagine so, it doesn't seem happy with all the bad news going on.

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Martin Rowson @MartinRowson · 1h 1 hour ago
Just filed tomorrow's Graun cartoon. Those Saudis - they can take a joke, can't they? Course they can!

:o
Martin's not pulled any punches: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ah-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:
seeingclearly wrote: It's a good day, I'm starting the treatment I need today after a years wait. And on the 3rd there's a lobby in parliament to help people like me access a very cheap effective treatment at the frequent rate we need. So I'm happy for all the others too. But won't be there with then because I'll be on a plane. Giselle, I'm going home!

Peace, love and plenty of good heated debates. xx
Your joy in the words 'I'm going home' jumped out of my screen. Safe journey :)
Seconded! Good luck with the treatment and for the campaigners lobbying on the 3rd. And a very happy homecoming (homegoing doesn't sound quite right!) for you. You'll be sorely missed so I'll look forward to any posts you're able to make from 'abroad' :hug: :clap: :dance:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

seeingclearly wrote:Some lovely thoughtful posts today Here on the best online site!

It's a good day, I'm starting the treatment I need today after a years wait. And on the 3rd there's a lobby in parliament to help people like me access a very cheap effective treatment at the frequent rate we need. So I'm happy for all the others too. But won't be there with then because I'll be on a plane. Giselle, I'm going home!

I'm going to miss a lot of the pre election tirades and outpourings, but not the endgame, but will be watching and hoping that the Greens and Labour will start to find common ground, because goodness won't we need some solidarity to rebuild things if the election goes the way we want it to. Everything's rather fraught right now and it's hard to see what new twists might arise. Compared to other places this really is a haven, and I hope people see that we are going to have to work in cooperative ways to get anywhere at all, whatever happens in May. I've been doing a lot of thinking about it. And about the next few months. I think there may be an unholy rush to roll out UC everywhere, and I want it to backfire really spectacularly! And would be more than happy for it to be a bonfire of IDS' vanity.

But afterwards, what do we want Britain to be? Not the fake past of Farage and co., that's for sure.

I've tried asking this elsewhere, because if we get to put things together again they should be better, not just the sameoldsameold. Though people start off okay they never get past May, I don't think they dare, and then they get back to infighting. I think more will be needed. I'd like to think that we'll be doing a bit better.

Anyway I might not be posting book length diatribes, but I'll be reading and following what's happening here because nowhere else gives me a good picture of what's going on. I think that's because we're a mixed bag. I was very glad when Toby arrived back here, and hope a few others will too. so hoping Herons Flight, Temulkar, Tiz, and Grim will all be back too as the fire out there gets hotter.

Peace, love and plenty of good heated debates. xx

W-O-W ! What a lot of great news to absorb all at once Linda. :dance:

Brilliant you're finally getting what you need. And even more brilliant that you're going home after such a long time away. I hope from the bottom of my heart that it is all you want it to be. I'm really excited for you.

From one Royal Air Force daughter to another Royal Air Force daughter, you take great care of yourself and safe travel home. Will be thinking of you. Keep in touch!
:hug:
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Seeingclearly hope things are working out OK.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Economically inactive can be people like my Mum, who at 56 had had enough of work. Had she been harder up or my dad had not been working, she couldn't have done that. So she wasn't an unperson. She was doing what she wanted.

Had she had to go on working longer, it would have been a sign of worse family finances.

I think labour market experts do think there's been some improvement in unemployment. Wages is the big problem.

Tubby - I am not talking about people like your Mum.

I'm talking about the people who have no choice in the matter. People who choose not to work because they can are not the people I mentioned in my post.

I'm talking about the ones who were claiming benefits but get sanctioned for a period of time and don't find work - and there are more than a million of them at any given time.
I'm talking about the ones who cannot claim ESA because they've been found fit for work but can't claim JSA because they can't work and who have no other income.

There are others too. There are now large "off-flows" from benefits who are not turning up anywhere - they're not in work and they're not claiming either, and it's not by choice.

Employment is better than it was, and for some the quality is improving; but it's not anything like the success being claimed.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

citizenJA wrote:

Now, I don't know but what you're right & Reeves is, in fact, a poor leader & in the wrong job. I've not seen or heard enough to distrust her work as you seem to distrust her. I could easily be wrong.

I put myself in Reeves position.

'Useless', Ephemerid?
Uncalled for.

Reeves may well be very effective if she was at the Treasury or doing a job that her banking experience is more suited to.

I and many others do not think much of her because, apart from what Labour has announced as general policy (bedroom tax, jobs guarantee) she has done nothing to reassure people that she will be different from what we have now.
A bit of tinkering with the WCA and possibly UC - the list of things she has said nothing about is very very long and I won't post it again.

There are 2.5 million people on ESA. There are more than 5 million people claiming out-of-work benefits. Millions on in-work benefits.
All those people have been shafted by the Tories.
Millions are living in fear and most of those are living in poverty. They need to know what is being planned for them so that they can cast their vote with at least some idea of what Labour will do.
As things stand, they have no idea - and I know of quite a few disabled people who will not vote Labour because they believe that Labour will be as bad as the Tories on social security.

That's why I say she is useless. I'd like her to prove me wrong and I'll take it back if she does. Otherwise I stand by what I've said.

I'd like to be in her shoes. I'd certainly like her salary.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi