Friday, 23rd January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Friday, 23rd January 2015

Post by citizenJA »

daydreamer wrote:
Sheffield hospitals are facing shock cuts of more than £40m – with bosses admitting they will struggle to balance the books.

Health chiefs admitted the cuts – over £10m more than had been expected – were ‘extremely worrying’.

Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust – which runs the Royal Hallamshire, Northern General, Weston Park and Charles Clifford Dental Hospital – has revealed it is anticipating losing at least £41.6m of income in the next financial year due to changes in how services are funded.
Mr Priestley’s report also warned city hospitals could face further funding cuts due to the planned introduction of more financial penalties for missing performance targets and ‘potential further contracting losses’.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/health/lo ... -1-7066654
You know, I think it's time for those people doing the work of providing essential services to be given a loan by the Bank of England, you know? Because money doesn't matter if there's no public left. I should think this obvious & I'm baffled why Chancellor Jeffrey is too stupid to just make sure public service providers are properly funded. This is serious. You know, here I am, a humble cowboysforfreedom, & I recognise all the money is indeed available just not being used here. What's the matter with government? This stress & strain is needless. It's dumb. Is it just me or is current government demonstrating they don't care about how stressed out they make public service providers? Current government need to go away now, I think. They don't know how to do their job. It's not funny.
Last edited by citizenJA on Fri 23 Jan, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Lord, can they do nothing right. :roll:
The Government’s e-petition system has been called into question after a recycled and irrelevant response was issued to a popular demand on the official website.

Social media users were bemused after the wrong government department responded to a petition about music venues with a copy and pasted response about a completely different subject.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 97847.html
Smart has the plans, but stupid has the stories.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

daydreamer wrote:Lord, can they do nothing right. :roll:
The Government’s e-petition system has been called into question after a recycled and irrelevant response was issued to a popular demand on the official website.

Social media users were bemused after the wrong government department responded to a petition about music venues with a copy and pasted response about a completely different subject.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... urn false;
Huh! Why is my url showing? :?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Morning all. Sparked out last night when I got home. It was so cold waiting at St Pancras. @RR2 from last night. I'd love my next spot to be The Beast of Bolsover. It's odd, I've never seen anyone I recognised at St P. before, then two in a week.

I bought Owen Jones' book on 'The Establishment' at the station. A good read so far. Has anyone else read it?

Talking of books I read 'Hope in a ballet shoe' by Michaela dePrince last week. Even brought a tear to my world-weary eyes. 'The book tells the story of Michaela DePrince. Growing up in war-torn Sierra Leone, she witnesses atrocities that no child ever should. Her father is killed by rebels and her mother dies of famine.' Most hope-inspiring book I've read in ages.

I'm sorry if anyone feels the need to leave the site. I think of myself as an Old Labour/Green hybrid. There's a lot Labour could learn from the Greens and vice-versa. No two people will ever think exactly the same way, even within political parties. We should all remember who the real enemy is.

Nice to see a little bounceback in the polls.

Bit of a miscellany there. :oops:
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

gilsey wrote:
ephemerid wrote: the fact is they simply don't care any more, lies have become their daily currency, and they are doing what they want in defiance of even their own codes of political behaviour.
It's a source of immense frustration to me that Labour continually fails to challenge the sheer mendacity that the Tories engage in - there have been so many times when they could have and should have that I've lost count.
I'm not sure Labour would make any headway, tbh.
I saw Evan Davies with Gideon last night, and he was asking all the right questions, particularly on the subject of where spending cuts would fall. Gideon repeatedly said he'd given 'examples' and Evan's frustration was palpable. I'd like to think that Evan's just not good enough, but I think the truth is as ephe says, they have gone beyond the boundaries of acceptable behaviour.
I always felt that even Tony Blair believed in the truth of what he was saying at the time he said it, this lot don't care.

As for Clive Myrie, I missed it last night but I have previously seen him supporting the coalition line to the point where I switched the tv off, so maybe he really is impartial.
I can't figure them out...Even the most thick skinned person will try to pad a lie, cover their tracks, attempt to justify themselves, but this lot don't. They don't follow any of the normal rules.
It's pathological behaviour, but how can there be so many liars in one spot?

It doesn't make sense.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:I do miss decent political satire programmes. We don't have anything like them these days. And I'm pretty sure the Beeb was scrupulous in having politicians from opposing sides and giving them an equal say.
When I'm feeling terrible I think about Monty Python's, Search For the Holy Grail.

King Arthur introducing himself as King to the peasants. The peasants astonished at the gall of the man.

"He's repressing me, look, look, at him, look what's doing... help, help, I'm being repressed! Did you see that, he was repressing me...."

"There's some lovely filth over here...."

[youtube]fxGqcCeV3qk[/youtube]
Last edited by refitman on Fri 23 Jan, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: Video embedded
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

daydreamer wrote:

On you it works - fabulous, I love it!
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

The BBC even used to give kids a political insight, as this splendid clip from Newsround 1992 shows. With a young looking Tony Blair, and extremely young Krishnan Guru Murthy

[youtube]71CXPfXh0Rk[/youtube]
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Thank you all for your concerns about and well wishes for the dog. The bloody bad news for her was some months ago ... we are now in managing mode ... hoping to keep her good for as long as we can before the inevitable. We've adopted an enjoy each day approach.

The regular piss checks are - therefore - rather like the polls at the moment. Full of different variables that go up and down - some of the ups are worrying, some less so - but at the end of the day they're not the most reliable indicator of how she really is. That comes down to her character and spirits.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Of course, I could always post the piss check polls here for you .... might make as much sense as the political ones.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Talking of a young Blair, here he is in 1987 [youtube]u8lhtknnuSU[/youtube]
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Of course, I could always post the piss check polls here for you .... might make as much sense as the political ones.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 5 mins5 minutes ago
T'would appear the Tories have taken a decision to wholesale privatise Mental Health Services & not even bothered to announce it. Shamocracy

Jesus is beyond weeping.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 15 mins15 minutes ago
1/4 of a £billion of NHS Mental Health Contracts were offered to Private Profiteers this week. Here is the latest …https://online.contractsfinder.business ... 07&fs=true
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Some words of support for Grayling

http://labourlist.org/2015/01/former-to ... -into-tat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

citizenJA wrote:
daydreamer wrote:
On you it works - fabulous, I love it!
:lol:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

daydreamer wrote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 97847.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You don't have to add the URL tags for most links (some PDF links and searches on the Indy can be a bit odd). The comment system will automatically recognise it and also abbreviate it on the page. (I have taken the tags out of the quote above)
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

ohsocynical wrote:Dr Éoin Clarke ‏@LabourEoin 15 mins15 minutes ago
1/4 of a £billion of NHS Mental Health Contracts were offered to Private Profiteers this week. Here is the latest …https://online.contractsfinder.business ... 07&fs=true
FFS!! :fire: :fire: :wall: There are no fucking words!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Guido is saying that Mark Hoban is standing down as MP at the election. Only 50 so not because of age - just got fed up apparently

17,000 majority so not likely to change says Dale.

http://iaindale.com/posts/2014/12/29/ge ... ire-part-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:Some words of support for Grayling

http://labourlist.org/2015/01/former-to ... -into-tat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you HindleA. That's my cheerer upper of the day:
Hayes also says that after the election “Grayling is a shit which will have to be flushed”. Not a fan then…
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

StephenDolan wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Having fun with Hugo and NickyB over there :)
Is Hugo there, I couldn't tell? :wink:
He has now been zapped - again :lol:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

GM Crops. Argentina: The Country That Monsanto Poisoned

ttp://www.filmsforaction.org/articles/argenti ... o4.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
God I'm getting depressed.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Real tories, i.e. the ones who join and support the party, as we do ours, are liars. They know that their leaders are going to lie wholesale to the public and their job is to chirp up and repeat the lies at every opportunity. They know that the real aim of policy is to put more money in their own pockets, regardless of what may actually be said.

What an utter disgrace they are, but there you go. That's the reality of our 'democracy' and always has been. The very basis of 'democratic' debate is a tissue of nonsense more often than not.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
HindleA wrote:Some words of support for Grayling

Thank you HindleA. That's my cheerer upper of the day:
Hayes also says that after the election “Grayling is a shit which will have to be flushed”. Not a fan then…
Can't disagree with Hayes at all. Look at the mess he's making at the MOJ, after the mess he made at the DWP. Don't get me started on the chaos he's created in the prison service. :wall:
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

I think the internet has gone wrong or the front page of the Guardian has been made up by an infant's class using old copies of 'Hello'.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Labour needs to be more radical to counter Green threat, says Peter Hain
Ex-cabinet minister’s proposals to tackle inequality include an effective tax rate of 62% on higher earners, a graduate tax and a financial transactions levy
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... peter-hain
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

mikems wrote:I think the internet has gone wrong or the front page of the Guardian has been made up by an infant's class using old copies of 'Hello'.
I'll go with infants class. After all it is the Guardian. :D
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Welsh news -

The deeply un-lovely UKIP MEP Nathan Gill is the UKIP candidate for the General Election on Ynys Mon (Anglesey)

Nathan, you may recall, employed dozens of Eastern Europeans and Filipinos in his care homes (mainly in the north of England) and put them up in dormitories, whilst simultaneously railing against immigrants stealing British jobs and claiming British benefits.

Nathan and his mum had a company called Burgill Ltd. (amongst other odd little ventures) which was wound up in 2009 with debts of £115,000.
Burgill existed to house migrants, mainly from Poland, in HMOs with 6 bunk-beds to a room.

Nathan is described in UKIP leaflets as a christian family man (he's a Mormon) and an ordinary businessman who is not a career politician (having been involved with the Tories for years and since 2005 has worked for UKIP's MEP John Bufton before taking over his position).

The candidate for Charnwood, Lynton Yates (who opined benefit claimants shouldn't drive), is the latest UKIP GE candidate to be deselected - how many is it now? 4? 5? Plus the various councillors who have been suspended or thrown out......what a joke they are.

Meanwhile, Nathan is up against the Labour incumbent since 2001 Albert Owen, who has a majority of 2,461/7% with Plaid next in popularity.

I am waiting for dear Nathan to come out with some monumental foolishness. I really really hope he does. Really.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Montgomerie ن @montie · 22m 22 minutes ago
Theresa May and @LiamFoxMP spotted having lunch. Evening Standard concludes he is backing her for Tory leadership http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 97993.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Looks like she's going to follow on with the same level of people judgement as Cameron.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

This one - the ever nuanced and persuasive Louise De Bours - has beaten Nathan Gill to be the next UKIP embarrassment ... but I'm sure ephemerid is right and he'll say or do something soon.

‏@OliverKamm
Ukip’s health spokeswoman has been disqualified as a councillor after failing to attend a single meeting since July. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/poli ... 332278.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

The Times of London
Council sacks Ukip member for failing to turn up
Ukip’s health spokeswoman has been disqualified as a councillor after failing to attend a single meeting since July. Louise Bours wrote to local supporters to tell them that she had resigned. However,
Can't get anymore because it's behind the paywall ... but I think we've got the gist.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

RobertSnozers wrote:
daydreamer wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Thank you HindleA. That's my cheerer upper of the day: :lol:
Can't disagree with Hayes at all. Look at the mess he's making at the MOJ, after the mess he made at the DWP. Don't get me started on the chaos he's created in the prison service. :wall:
It's not just the mess though, not just the chaos. When you have a former Tory MP accusing the current Lord Chancellor of dismantling the fundamental principles of a free society, that's... that's... [splutter splutter]

How do they get away with this stuff?? Where is the 'civil liberties coalition' we were promised??
Oh, totally. Completely agree. How do they get away with it? A supine MSM for one. Democracy? don't make me laugh. :fire:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:This one - the ever nuanced and persuasive Louise De Bours - has beaten Nathan Gill to be the next UKIP embarrassment ... but I'm sure ephemerid is right and he'll say or do something soon.

‏@OliverKamm
Ukip’s health spokeswoman has been disqualified as a councillor after failing to attend a single meeting since July. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/poli ... 332278.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

The Times of London
Council sacks Ukip member for failing to turn up
Ukip’s health spokeswoman has been disqualified as a councillor after failing to attend a single meeting since July. Louise Bours wrote to local supporters to tell them that she had resigned. However,
Can't get anymore because it's behind the paywall ... but I think we've got the gist.
You would have thought that it would be common sense that she would have trouble doing both roles but then for all of their screeching, common sense seems to be lacking with UKIP when appointed to anything.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sheila Scoular ‏@sheilascoular 2 mins2 minutes ago
Tory Twit Jacob Rees-Mogg MP:
Lords must have 'the highest quality of champagne'

http://dailym.ai/1uyRta2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @MailOnline Privileged Wankers!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Paul Nuttall was very unconvincing (yeah, I know...) on the Farage views on the NHS on QT last night - he kept trying to claim it was all in the past as if Farage hadn't yet again come out with the health insurance idea.

On that subject there was a very policy wonky-like chap* in the audience who was pushing the European model of part public/part-private and was given two goes to have his view.

* I may be being unfair on policy wonks but they have like this look...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Our papers showed how much they genuinely believe in a "free press" after Charlie Hebdo.

(I'm not saying they should necessarily have republished the cartoons on their front pages - though that was and still is emotionally appealing - but their overall response was woefully inadequate and showed they just didn't get it; only the Independent came up to scratch arguably)

No what a "free press" means to them is the "freedom" of multi-billionaire megalomaniacs to pick on the weak and powerless, and brutally crush anybody who comes in the way of their untramelled power to do so (exhibit A - E S Miliband) whilst sucking up to and whitewashing those who let them have their way.

The demise of most of our "dead tree" media truly cannot come soon enough.
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Fri 23 Jan, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Paul Nuttall was very unconvincing (yeah, I know...) on the Farage views on the NHS on QT last night - he kept trying to claim it was all in the past as if Farage hadn't yet again come out with the health insurance idea.

On that subject there was a very policy wonky-like chap* in the audience who was pushing the European model of part public/part-private and was given two goes to have his view.

* I may be being unfair on policy wonks but they have like this look...
You may indeed be stereotyping policy wonks ... but I think in this case you are spot on with your identification skills. Policy wonk he definitely was - and he was indeed given two goes.

Nuttall really came across as an utter pillock - the hate rant at the Scottish was so OTT it pretty much silenced the audience.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Iain Dale @IainDale · 13h 13 hours ago
Rather hilariously, Caroline Lucas thinks she should represent the Greens in one of the TV debates. #GreenPowerGrab

@xCllrAnnMarie She. Is. Not. The. Leader. What part of that is so difficult to understand? These are "leaders debates".
To be fair ... she was responding to a question from Andrew Neil asking whether it would be her or Natalie Bennett doing the debates. She then said it had yet to be discussed and decided on ... if they took part in just one it would clearly be Bennett, but if they were at two then maybe they could each do one of them. And she pointed out that the Green Party in Scotland is actually a separate party. Would the broadcasters allow a non leader representative, or a non national leader? Makes you then think - what's the point, where's the balance - we could reach a stage where each of the parties could just put up the MP they thought could handle the debates the best - Cameron could stick Gove up there as his proxy (feeling a bit sick at that thought). Total spin fest.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ian retweeted
Populus ‏@PopulusPolls 3 hrs3 hours ago
Latest Populus VI:

Lab 36 (-),
Con 32 (-3),
UKIP 13 (-),
Others 10 (+1).
LD 9 (+1),

Tables here: http://popu.lu/sVI230115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry if this one has already been posted. There are so many I get muddled.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Fri 23 Jan, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Nuttall has previously congratulated the Condems for "Bringing a whiff of privatisation into the beleaguered National Health Service" & said that "The very existence of the NHS stifles competition"
ScreenShot00095.jpg
ScreenShot00095.jpg (89.63 KiB) Viewed 12396 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Right to Buy isn't aspirational, it's a club that is battering Britain’s needy
It is a policy out of touch with modern reality, as the Scots and, perhaps, the Welsh, have increasingly come to realise

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 96108.html
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 57 mins57 minutes ago
Latest Populus Poll (21 - 22 Jan):
LAB - 36% (=)
CON - 32% (-3)
UKIP - 13% (=)
LDEM - 9% (+1)
GRN - 6% (+2)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Yes, you can see why Tim Aker was having trouble with their manifesto...on any given day there'd be umpteen different contradictory opinions on every subject.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Toby Latimer wrote:Nuttall has previously congratulated the Condems for "Bringing a whiff of privatisation into the beleaguered National Health Service" & said that "The very existence of the NHS stifles competition"
ScreenShot00095.jpg
Hey you! Yes, you over there, the one dying from cancer. Did you know that if you came to my hospital, we'd not only cure you, but we'd cure you faster than that lot over there, and for 25% less! And did I mention the free box of stainless steel cutlery that all our patients who stay with us for over a week get? And we do a three-for-the-price-of-two if you've infected any two blood relatives.

Competition in the Healthcare Industry.

Can't wait to see the adverts.
The truth ferret speaks!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Rather hilariously, Caroline Lucas thinks she should represent the Greens in one of the TV debates. #GreenPowerGrab

@xCllrAnnMarie She. Is. Not. The. Leader. What part of that is so difficult to understand? These are "leaders debates".
To be fair ... she was responding to a question from Andrew Neil asking whether it would be her or Natalie Bennett doing the debates. She then said it had yet to be discussed and decided on ... if they took part in just one it would clearly be Bennett, but if they were at two then maybe they could each do one of them. And she pointed out that the Green Party in Scotland is actually a separate party. Would the broadcasters allow a non leader representative, or a non national leader? Makes you then think - what's the point, where's the balance - we could reach a stage where each of the parties could just put up the MP they thought could handle the debates the best - Cameron could stick Gove up there as his proxy (feeling a bit sick at that thought). Total spin fest.
Fair's fair. I'm all for them taking part, but it's for leaders. Mr Ohso's fond of saying if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
If the Greens push that one, it's going to give Dave another excuse not to appear. As you say he could bung in a substitute.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

mbc1955 wrote:
Toby Latimer wrote:Nuttall has previously congratulated the Condems for "Bringing a whiff of privatisation into the beleaguered National Health Service" & said that "The very existence of the NHS stifles competition"
ScreenShot00095.jpg
Hey you! Yes, you over there, the one dying from cancer. Did you know that if you came to my hospital, we'd not only cure you, but we'd cure you faster than that lot over there, and for 25% less! And did I mention the free box of stainless steel cutlery that all our patients who stay with us for over a week get? And we do a three-for-the-price-of-two if you've infected any two blood relatives.

Competition in the Healthcare Industry.

Can't wait to see the adverts.
Or hold out a cure for an enormous sum, when they don't have a cats chance in hell.

It's evil.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Of course, I could always post the piss check polls here for you .... might make as much sense as the political ones.
After analysis of the poll I can see that we are "stuck", further modifications of my (NH4 + K * H2O) calculations I conclude we need more bowls. I mean polls.
Last edited by StephenDolan on Fri 23 Jan, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Will they also promise not to give me any life saving treatment from anyone resembling an east European Jew ?
Or will that cost extra ?
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

I confess that in nearly sixty years, I have never been able to comprehend why it makes some people so utterly sick and angry that things are being done without someone making money out of it.
The truth ferret speaks!
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Polly Toynbee seems to be saying that Miliband is in favour of PR. Am I wrong in thinking that he said at the time of the AV vote that AV was as far as he wanted to go in terms of electoral reform?

I would be very happy if he has changed his mind.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Broadcasters release a statement which seems to say they will 'empty chair' Ronseal Fishpointer