Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th January 2015

Post by ohsocynical »

giselle97 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Do you want to hear something daft?

Recently I had a health scare. My immediate and only thought was regret for all the books I'd never get to read. I felt dreadful about it afterwards because family never got a look in.
Thankfully the health scare was a wrong diagnoses, but it was such a powerful feeling which hasn't left me that I'm making it top priority to re-read all the books I remember enjoying in the past as well as new novels by favourite authors. Plus political books when I can find them.

My latest find from Egham's Oxfam shop is Michael Heseltine's autobiography....I'm not keen on autobiographies because authors can be deceitful when writing about themselves but anything covering Maggies reign of terror is sure to be interesting.
My Christmas presents (requested because I wouldn't personally go on Amazon or pay these "people") were:-

22 Days in May - the birth of the Lib Dem - Conservative Coalition (David Laws)
The Orange Book - Reclaiming Liberalism (Edited by Paul Marshall & David Laws)
5 Days in May - the Coalition and Beyond (Andrew Adonis)

I'm reading them in that order.
You are brave. I am only going to read Heseltine so that I can hopefully find things to slag the Tories off. If it gets too painful I shall stop.
I have Tony Blair's autobiography and haven't been brave enough to open it yet.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Is there something particularly special about this awful Windows 8.1 which requires constant bleeding updating? :fire:

That's twice today I'm expected to re-boot.
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Daily Show -Jon Stewart; 1700 Private Jets Flying Into Davos Is The Height Of Hypocrisy

[youtube]599LmmnRq2U[/youtube]
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

ohsocynical wrote:
giselle97 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Do you want to hear something daft?

Recently I had a health scare. My immediate and only thought was regret for all the books I'd never get to read. I felt dreadful about it afterwards because family never got a look in.
Thankfully the health scare was a wrong diagnoses, but it was such a powerful feeling which hasn't left me that I'm making it top priority to re-read all the books I remember enjoying in the past as well as new novels by favourite authors. Plus political books when I can find them.

My latest find from Egham's Oxfam shop is Michael Heseltine's autobiography....I'm not keen on autobiographies because authors can be deceitful when writing about themselves but anything covering Maggies reign of terror is sure to be interesting.
My Christmas presents (requested because I wouldn't personally go on Amazon or pay these "people") were:-

You are brave. I am only going to read Heseltine so that I can hopefully find things to slag the Tories off. If it gets too painful I shall stop.
Not brave OhSo - it's just I like to be able to quote factual things to my friends who just so happen to be rampant Tories (barring one of them)! (They don't really listen to me now but I feel better for ranting!). I've wanted those books for quite a while ...... but didn't expect to get them all at once!
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

giselle97 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
giselle97 wrote: My Christmas presents (requested because I wouldn't personally go on Amazon or pay these "people") were:-

Not brave OhSo - it's just I like to be able to quote factual things to my friends who just so happen to be rampant Tories (barring one of them)! (They don't really listen to me now but I feel better for ranting!). I've wanted those books for quite a while ...... but didn't expect to get them all at once!
That's a good idea. You never know. One day you may win them over.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

giselle97 wrote:Is there something particularly special about this awful Windows 8.1 which requires constant bleeding updating? :fire:

It's truly awful. I've just downloaded Win 8.1. A few things are marginally better but it's still crap. Might be alright for phones but not for computers.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

giselle97 wrote:Is there something particularly special about this awful Windows 8.1 which requires constant bleeding updating? :fire:

Mate of mine in IT has always sworn that the only booting with Windows 8 should be straight into the nearest skip!
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Windows 10 is launched either later this year or early next year , they aren't having a '9' . Supposed to be a return to something more user friendly and has Skype built in ...
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

That Kipper who went home to the Tories is the same bloke who popped up in the last Farridge party political broadcast

ScreenShot00110.jpg
ScreenShot00110.jpg (51.8 KiB) Viewed 6672 times
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Sunday Times tomorrow Image
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Toby Latimer wrote:Windows 10 is launched either later this year or early next year , they aren't having a '9' . Supposed to be a return to something more user friendly and has Skype built in ...
If it's not free they can stuff it. I paid for MS Office a few years ago, and then found out I'd have to buy it all over again for Win 8.

Sod that for a game of soldiers.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

ohsocynical wrote:
Toby Latimer wrote:Windows 10 is launched either later this year or early next year , they aren't having a '9' . Supposed to be a return to something more user friendly and has Skype built in ...
If it's not free they can stuff it. I paid for MS Office a few years ago, and then found out I'd have to buy it all over again for Win 8.

Looks like it will be ;)
ScreenShot00111.jpg
ScreenShot00111.jpg (58.55 KiB) Viewed 6658 times
http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/21/wind ... e-upgrade/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Article bigging up the greens here.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... mentpage=1

Beware Kermits' everywhere below the line, and a fair few Tory trolls selling the vote green line.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Heck.

http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5464/ ... -sex-abuse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brittan named for lots of stuff.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 13m13 minutes ago
Matthew Richardson, UKIP political secretary, boasted that Party represents "hundreds of thousands of bigots" in Britain. See Sunday Times

@RebeccaRiots might be able to use this when she's doorstepping. When someone says they're voting for UKIP she could ask if they mind being labelled a 'Bigot'.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Heck.

http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5464/ ... -sex-abuse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A shame the media won't report any of that.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Toby Latimer wrote:Sunday Times tomorrow Image
:lol: :lol: :lol: Surely it can't keep on getting even more ridiculous and OTT ...? It has to reach a limit soon.
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sickening. And put off by May because she knew he was dying. And that woman who was supposed to head the inquiry. Hung around for six months which brought him and his family time. I bet the old boy network has never been busier.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Hmm...anyone think that DFH might regret his "Put up or shut up!" piece he wrote on Brittan? It was a very odd thing for him to write...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Toby Latimer wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Looks like it will be ;)
ScreenShot00111.jpg
http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/21/wind ... e-upgrade/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll have it in that case. I've masses of memory [It's a fairly new Vaio] so it should be okay. And since it died and I had to do a fix, it's even emptier.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:

Sickening. And put off by May because she knew he was dying. And that woman who was supposed to head the inquiry. Hung around for six months which brought him and his family time. I bet the old boy network has never been busier.
While I was wearing my tin-foil hat, I had this thought that maybe the two chairs who were appointed were so appointed because they knew they would be challenged and then have to stand down.

A bit Machiavellian but if you want to delay something there's no better way than to appoint someone who then has to stand down...and then another...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

On the same subject...I wonder whether Bernard Ingham can now reveal who it was that he asked whether there was any truth in the rumours which he then didn't do anything about.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Meet Nigel Farage. :sick:

Do you know Nigel Farage? What he stands for? What he wants for the NHS? :rock:
This site hosts Nigel Farage’s own words so you can learn about his views, his policies and his plan for the NHS. :o

http://www.meetnigelfarage.com/#slide-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[On behalf of the Labour Party] :clap:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

While I was wearing my tin-foil hat, I had this thought that maybe the two chairs who were appointed were so appointed because they knew they would be challenged and then have to stand down.

A bit Machiavellian but if you want to delay something there's no better way than to appoint someone who then has to stand down...and then another...
You can bet your boots that's exactly why they were chosen. Clear as day now.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sunday papers giving Ukip trouble as general secretary calls for NHS to be privatised and compares it to Nazi Germany

http://mirr.im/1D3V4vR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Overcrowded hospitals ‘killed 500’ last year, claims top A&E doctor

http://gu.com/p/457va" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can we expect Mid Staffs to appear in the comments when they're enabled?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:Sunday papers giving Ukip trouble as general secretary calls for NHS to be privatised and compares it to Nazi Germany

So the press now exploding ukippery in time for election (so saving tory arse) whilst at same time biging up the Greens & left leaning parties to split Labour.
Why, just why
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Sunday papers giving Ukip trouble as general secretary calls for NHS to be privatised and compares it to Nazi Germany

So the press now exploding ukippery in time for election (so saving tory arse) whilst at same time biging up the Greens & left leaning parties to split Labour.
Why, just why
Actually hammering UKIP on the NHS is good for Labour. The Tory core vote doesn't give a toss about the NHS.
Release the Guardvarks.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

A City barrister hired by Ukip to keep “bad stuff” out of the media, bespectacled Mr Richardson, 34, explosively compared the NHS – cherished by millions as ­Britain’s greatest post-war achievement – to Adolf Hitler’s Nazi Germany.
:rofl:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Toby Latimer wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Looks like it will be ;)
Interesting. I'll wait and see how others get on with it first, as I'm very happy with Windows 7, but that is an unusually positive step from Microsoft.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

So some UKIP cops it on the NHS, but Charlotte Leslie's Charlie Hebdo lunacy is ignored?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:

Why, just why
That's a good observation.
I've compressed it a bit, and posted it on Twitter. It's quieter on there now, so I'll try to remember to do it tomorrow as well.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Toby Latimer wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: If it's not free they can stuff it. I paid for MS Office a few years ago, and then found out I'd have to buy it all over again for Win 8.

Looks like it will be ;)
Interesting. I'll wait and see how others get on with it first, as I'm very happy with Windows 7, but that is an unusually positive step from Microsoft.
Every other Windows release is good, the others are garbage:

3.1 - good
98 - garbage
98se - good
ME - garbage
XP - good
Vista - garbage
7 - good
8/8.1 - garbage
10 - good?
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

The mainstream media are finally coming out with the stories about Brittan, now that he's safely dead

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/le ... er-5038101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/to ... ed-5037869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/to ... ld-5038130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

Why, just why
That's a good observation.
I've compressed it a bit, and posted it on Twitter. It's quieter on there now, so I'll try to remember to do it tomorrow as well.
That's good have re tweeted :) thanks
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Papers on a roll tonight
Top Tory forced to grovel after being caught sending racist and sexist emails
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/to ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

FoxinParliament ‏@Foxinparliament 60m60 minutes ago
We're very excited by new policy for wildlife Labour is to announce soon. Only voting Labour will make it happen.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Papers on a roll tonight
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/to ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It sounds ... well I can't really find the right word for it at present. But he seems to think he can just say sorry - bit of a slip up there - and it will all be forgotten. Surely he can't think he can send out stuff like that to colleagues and residents and use his council email to do so ... and stay in his position? Surely not?
On the emails storm, Cllr Batty said: “I am very sorry for sharing the contents of these messages. They are completely in­appropriate and it was a terrible error of ­judgment on my behalf.

“I hope my apology will be ­accepted by both my constituents and the wider public.”

He insisted: “I do not believe in racism or sexism in any form."
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Papers on a roll tonight
It sounds ... well I can't really find the right word for it at present. But he seems to think he can just say sorry - bit of a slip up there - and it will all be forgotten. Surely he can't think he can send out stuff like that to colleagues and residents and use his council email to do so ... and stay in his position? Surely not?
On the emails storm, Cllr Batty said: “I am very sorry for sharing the contents of these messages. They are completely in­appropriate and it was a terrible error of ­judgment on my behalf.

“I hope my apology will be ­accepted by both my constituents and the wider public.”

He insisted: “I do not believe in racism or sexism in any form."
He sounds like they always sound: the apology is just a ritual, meaning nothing, because they haven't done anything to apologise for, except that he's got the token bit about racism and sexism wrong. Very strange wording: you're supposed to claim that you're not a racist nor a sexist, despite using extreme racist and sexist language, but this guy has stated that he doesn't believe in racism or sexism, which can only mean that he doesn't believe they exist. So what has he done that's wrong, then?
The truth ferret speaks!
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

@TobyLatimer - thanks Toby for that news about Windows 10. Agree with others that it is unusual if I can upgrade in due course to 10 for free. Shall wait and see. In the meantime my self-built ancient desktop with XP Pro is sitting in the other room waiting for a new monitor if I decide to buy one!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Gapes MP retweeted
Iain ‏@Iain_33 1h1 hour ago
Amjad Bashir was booked to go on 5Live tonight but Conservative Central Office have pulled him from the appearance, @CCHQPress why?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mike Gapes MP retweeted
Amjad Bashir was booked to go on 5Live tonight but Conservative Central Office have pulled him from the appearance, @CCHQPress why?
Maybe they thought that he might get asked why he defected from the Tories to UKIP in the first place...
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mike Gapes MP retweeted
Maybe they thought that he might get asked why he defected from the Tories to UKIP in the first place...
They might have asked why, if immigrants are so bad, why were his family using illegal ones in their restaurant?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nothing stands between Labour and election victory except its own timidity
http://www.michaelmeacher.info/weblog/2 ... -timidity/
This is mostly him saying Labour should not be so mealy mouthed about fracking - they've drawn up much tighter regulations that would have to be met - and should just come out and say it shouldn't happen - and gives the reasons why.

If they did that ... and then this wildlife protection policy they've said they are about to announce was a good un ... that would make my January and many other months and years to come.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

refitman wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
They might have asked why, if immigrants are so bad, why were his family using illegal ones in their restaurant?
I can't wait for the next IT students creative app to be produced ... it will probably be fantasy UKIP / Tory football - with them kicking different players across the pitch to each other.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Oh look, OGRFPG's web filter is even more useless than we first thought:
The adult content filters being rolled out by some internet providers under a scheme championed by David Cameron are blocking the websites of businesses and charities and are a “distraction” for parents seeking to protect children from online pornography, claim campaigners.
A website discussing the legalisation of cannabis found itself blocked, as did several small wine dealers, said Pam Cowburn of the transparency campaign Open Rights Group. Last year research by the group found that 54 registered charities had their websites blocked by one or another of the filters.

Several were offering support and services to young people escaping abuse or alcohol dependency. One such charity, Alcohol Support, based in Aberdeen, called it a “big brother” approach.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... -charities" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:
Toby Latimer wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: If it's not free they can stuff it. I paid for MS Office a few years ago, and then found out I'd have to buy it all over again for Win 8.

Looks like it will be ;)
ScreenShot00111.jpg
I'll have it in that case. I've masses of memory [It's a fairly new Vaio] so it should be okay. And since it died and I had to do a fix, it's even emptier.
Do check, before installing it, that any applications you normally use (and especially any you rely on) will continue to work with Windows 10.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ALCOHOL LEADS TO CONFUSION FOR GREEN PARTY TAX POLICY
http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/01/a ... ax-policy/
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

refitman wrote:Oh look, OGRFPG's web filter is even more useless than we first thought:
The adult content filters being rolled out by some internet providers under a scheme championed by David Cameron are blocking the websites of businesses and charities and are a “distraction” for parents seeking to protect children from online pornography, claim campaigners.
A website discussing the legalisation of cannabis found itself blocked, as did several small wine dealers, said Pam Cowburn of the transparency campaign Open Rights Group. Last year research by the group found that 54 registered charities had their websites blocked by one or another of the filters.

Several were offering support and services to young people escaping abuse or alcohol dependency. One such charity, Alcohol Support, based in Aberdeen, called it a “big brother” approach.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... -charities" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Echoes of the historic safe-search programme that stopped users from searching for Wessex, Essex, Sussex, sextant, sexton, or other words containing 'sex' – and caused a major headache when geography, Earls of, and so on were the subjects schoolchildren were supposed to be researching on the internet...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

LadyCentauria wrote:
refitman wrote:Oh look, OGRFPG's web filter is even more useless than we first thought:

Echoes of the historic safe-search programme that stopped users from searching for Wessex, Essex, Sussex, sextant, sexton, or other words containing 'sex' – and caused a major headache when geography, Earls of, and so on were the subjects schoolchildren were supposed to be researching on the internet...
The most stunning thing about Sky rolling theirs out by default is it is designed to filter everything that might be considered dubious for a 13 year old.

What is life like in a Sky Broadband household? All pink fluffy kittens and unicorns?

Actually scratch the unicorns, related to horses and they can be real bastards.
Release the Guardvarks.