Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Re: Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th January 2015

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

mikems wrote:TE,
With Linux you have all of the same problems and rather less resources trying to deal with them.
That's rubbish. You don't like Linux for some reason, but there's no need to run it down unecessarily. I imagine it is quite a while since you used it, because there is nothing difficult or particularly problematic with linux.
This is a discussion about security, auto updates, patching etc and the distribution of said things.

Which is the point, the overhead is the same with Linux and you don't have the resources of a Microsoft or an Apple trying to help you out.

Sure Linux is quite useable and some people like it, but it doesn't solve the particular problem being discussed (which is my point). At best it is no worse than the alternatives.

And you have no idea what I do with Linux.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David Cameron ‏@David_Cameron 58m58 minutes ago
The Greek election will increase economic uncertainty across Europe. That's why the UK must stick to our plan, delivering security at home.

Alex Andreou @sturdyAlex
@David_Cameron What an unfathomably ungracious message to a newly elected PM. No wonder you can never find any allies at the EU level.
Alex Andreou @sturdyAlex · 11m 11 minutes ago
On behalf of #Greece, let me apologise to @David_Cameron, for failing to vote the way he wanted.

Also, for Prince Philip.
Working on the wild side.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

citizenJA wrote:
diGriz wrote:http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/55 ... -next-week

I know it's the Express but still.
Britain on red alert as 'displaced polar vortex' to unleash crippling snowstorms next week
You know I can never turn down a displaced polar vortex story promising crippling snowstorms.
The main problem is that the Excess has previous on printing bullshit about the weather to come, only to be berated by the Met Office and disproved by the weather that turned up.

Basically, the Excess is a pile of sub Mailesque shite dressed up in a tweed three piece suit, gazing wistfully at Rupert the Bear and Fred Bassett, desperately hoping that Mr. Eden will be the next Prime Minister. It's so monumentally shit that not even Mail and Sun readers will touch it.

NB - my mum and eldest brother - both UKIP supporters - read the Excess. You figure out the correlation, I'm too knackered to do so.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: I always check the internet for complaints or praise about a new introduction before I decide whether to download or not. It's saved me a lot of bother.
I used to have WinME :shock: Had heard it was rubbish, and when I needed a new computer shared my worries with the salesman...Big mistake he being the 'expert' said as it was just for personal use I shouldn't get any problems :(
Once bitten twice shy.

I ended up with Win8 because literally all the computers in the store had it. I didn't want to spend time shopping around for another.
It's very quick and I've not had any major problems with it except for the re-purchase MS Office and that it was designed for a mobile phone.
Linux is increasingly your friend.
No, it isn't.

With Linux you have all of the same problems and rather less resources trying to deal with them.

If you want it to work, buy a Mac. Just make sure everything you want it to work with is also supplied by Apple.

I prefer PC's but then again I have Win 7.
Have it your own way TE, but in 5 years of running a knackered old PC on Ubuntu - that doesn't have the technical oomph to pull the skin off a rice pud - I've had no problems, 100% rock solid service, fast start up and shut down times and a lt of free fun with it. Macs? Horribly overpriced for what you get.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Spacedone wrote:The Education Select Committee is releasing a bipartisan report this week saying that the Coalition's education reforms have had little or no effect.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... ry-inquiry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The education committee report is expected to be most damaging in drawing a contrast between the results of converter academies – schools that voluntarily converted to academy status through policies introduced by Michael Gove in 2010 – and Labour’s earlier sponsored academy programme, which sought to turn around struggling schools.

The MPs took evidence from policymakers and considered data on exam performance in judging the effectiveness of different types of schools.

Once adjusted for prior attainment, however, it found that converter academies did less well than sponsored academies.
Money well spent. :wall:
I see the line has changed about conversion of already successful schools:
A DfE source said Hunt did not appear to understand that sponsored academies would improve faster because they had further to go, while converter academies are already good or outstanding schools where academisation was designed to reward them for their success.
No, it bloody wasn't!

Remember the "local bureaucrats running schools"? That was the line then - that academies needed to be given their freedom.

:toss:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Yeah, that's utter drivel.

Can't anybody convert nowadays?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Yeah, that's utter drivel.

Can't anybody convert nowadays?
Yes, even those whose last Ofsted said Requires Improvement.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Seems to be no shortage of left wing Dan Hodgeses about. Syriza have shown up Ed Miliband.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Evening, Night Owls :)

Just settling down to watch the Westminster Hall debate on "the implications of the independent review of Personal Independence Payments," from Wed 21st Jan 2015. It's being shown now on the BBC Parliament channel (Freeview 131 on HD devices, 81 on others)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...