Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th January 2015

Post by AngryAsWell »

European Left ‏@europeanleft · 1m1 minute ago  Greece
Shipment of anxiolytics for Juncker and his henchmen. Hehehe.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/55 ... -next-week

I know it's the Express but still.
Britain on red alert as 'displaced polar vortex' to unleash crippling snowstorms next week
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
diGriz wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Oh, for chrissake...
I like Grant nice but Green.
Surely, if anything, the Chairman should be clarifying what other party members have said - and not the other way around? He's a real ass(et), isn't he?
Shapps is congenitally unable to tell it like it is.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

The GE banner at the top is an hour out.

100 days in 2 1/2 hours? :clap:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Hoax GCHQ caller put through to David Cameron’s phone
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... id-cameron" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

diGriz wrote:http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/55 ... -next-week

Britain on red alert as 'displaced polar vortex' to unleash crippling snowstorms next week
You know I can never turn down a displaced polar vortex story promising crippling snowstorms.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

diGriz wrote:The GE banner at the top is an hour out.

Technically it is perhaps correct, since we will have moved into summer time by then ;-)

All depends how you count that short day I guess....
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Well Robert Peston isn't impressed (quelle surprise) but it is looking as though Labour are going to announce their intention to cut tuition fees to £6k; it may not be all some (including me) would have wanted, but it is a start, it can be built on and it puts clear blue water between Labour and the Tories .... and I bet it has got Clegg spitting blood.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30976509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Well, I guess we know how Dave is getting out of having to defend his crippling five year premiership.
“Such is the severity of this situation I have written to the Government’s Cabinet Office Briefing Room (COBRA) committee urging them to take immediate action.”
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Wait. "Written"?
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
diGriz wrote:The GE banner at the top is an hour out.

Technically it is perhaps correct, since we will have moved into summer time by then ;-)

All depends how you count that short day I guess....
Ah. But still, a nice thought to wake up to tomorrow.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Syriza’s projected share of the parliamentary seats has edged up to 149, according to the latest projection from the interior ministry after 62% of the results.
Nail bitingly close to a majority!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:

Well, I guess we know how Dave is getting out of having to defend his crippling five year premiership.
“Such is the severity of this situation I have written to the Government’s Cabinet Office Briefing Room (COBRA) committee urging them to take immediate action.”
There you go. He'll be too busy at COBRA emergency meetings to attend the debates.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"The prime minister ended the call when it became clear it was a hoax and no sensitive information was disclosed, Downing Street said."
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

You hero, Dave.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:

You know I can never turn down a displaced polar vortex story promising crippling snowstorms.
Figures. My boiler's on the blink again...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:Image
Hoax GCHQ caller put through to David Cameron’s phone
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... id-cameron" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder how many times Dave said: "We care passionately about this," before he caught on. :roll:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:Wait. "Written"?
With a quill pen, using the blood of a passing pleb as ink.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

citizenJA wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire · 1h1 hour ago
Flibbertigibbet MEP Amjad Bashir was a member of Labour as well as Respect, Ukip and now Cons? Lucky Lib Dem escape. Ta @tomwilson23

Bit of a wanderer it seems..
I don't care for that kind of thing. I hope I don't offend anyone with that. Maybe making one change, I can understand that, but more than that it's hard to know what that candidate is about.
Winston McKenzie that way inclined too.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Well Robert Peston isn't impressed (quelle surprise) but it is looking as though Labour are going to announce their intention to cut tuition fees to £6k; it may not be all some (including me) would have wanted, but it is a start, it can be built on and it puts clear blue water between Labour and the Tories .... and I bet it has got Clegg spitting blood.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30976509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Might be wrong, but I have "one of my feelings" about this. They will be lower than 6k and there will be something to help those who have already had to pay (or borrow) for them ;)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

In any case, these ideas are circumscribed by traditional boundaries. Neither is a truly radical small-government idea alternative. But one idea that Frum highlighted is more radical: a guaranteed basic income, otherwise known as just giving people money.

The idea isn’t new. As Frum notes, Friederich Hayek endorsed it. In 1962, the libertarian economist Milton Friedman advocated a minimum guaranteed income via a “negative income tax.” In 1967, Martin Luther King Jr. said, “The solution to poverty is to abolish it directly by a now widely discussed measure: the guaranteed income.” Richard Nixon unsuccessfully tried to pass a version of Friedman’s plan a few years later, and his Democratic opponent in the 1972 presidential election, George McGovern, also suggested a guaranteed annual income.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... me/375600/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So not only a loony left idea then...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

citizenJA wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire · 1h1 hour ago
Flibbertigibbet MEP Amjad Bashir was a member of Labour as well as Respect, Ukip and now Cons? Lucky Lib Dem escape. Ta @tomwilson23

Bit of a wanderer it seems..
I don't care for that kind of thing. I hope I don't offend anyone with that. Maybe making one change, I can understand that, but more than that it's hard to know what that candidate is about.
I disagree. It's very easy to know what that candidate is about. Himself, and nothing else. Power at any price, self-aggrandisement at any lie.
The truth ferret speaks!
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Spacedone wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:Above, any chance of posting the URL my web browser throws away FTN embedded you tube.
So does mine on this loan machine – a 2010 Intel-based Macbook. I've been trying to work out why and fix it but decided I wasn't in the frame of mind for dealing with it.
It could be something like Adobe Flash Player needing updating.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you try it remember to untick the 'special' offer to install McAfee on your computer.
I have found that FlashBlock completely borks Youtube embeds on here. I've had to disable it for now.

I will have a look.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

RobertSnozers wrote:Have a look at #UkipFilmTitles on twitter, there are some hilarious ones
My favourite was Let The White Ones In.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ohsocynical wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Do not turn off automatic updating, if it ever stops working find out why and fix it.

Microsoft issue updates on a regular basis when they become aware of bugs or security risks. Virus and root kit exploits always try and disable this for a reason.

Regular updates are a sign of a serious commitment by Microsoft to your security.

By the way Mac users can't laugh, there are huge vulnerabilities in their systems that have needed patching - including the most incompetent piece of crypto I have ever seen.

And no I don't work for Microsoft (or sell their products).
Correct.

For those thinking of upgrading/updating to Windows 10 please do your research and maybe wait until it's been rolled-out for a while. You could also watch twit.tv's regular programme Windows Weekly, and/or read their show notes. Latest episode is here:

http://twit.tv/show/windows-weekly/397
I always check the internet for complaints or praise about a new introduction before I decide whether to download or not. It's saved me a lot of bother.
I used to have WinME :shock: Had heard it was rubbish, and when I needed a new computer shared my worries with the salesman...Big mistake he being the 'expert' said as it was just for personal use I shouldn't get any problems :(
Once bitten twice shy.

I ended up with Win8 because literally all the computers in the store had it. I didn't want to spend time shopping around for another.
It's very quick and I've not had any major problems with it except for the re-purchase MS Office and that it was designed for a mobile phone.
Linux is increasingly your friend.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

Figures. My boiler's on the blink again...
According to the Met Office we'll be getting some snow on Thursday morning which makes my decision to join the NHS Strike all that much easier since where I am gets cut off from all transport at the slightest sign of snow.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote: Correct.

For those thinking of upgrading/updating to Windows 10 please do your research and maybe wait until it's been rolled-out for a while. You could also watch twit.tv's regular programme Windows Weekly, and/or read their show notes. Latest episode is here:

http://twit.tv/show/windows-weekly/397
I always check the internet for complaints or praise about a new introduction before I decide whether to download or not. It's saved me a lot of bother.
I used to have WinME :shock: Had heard it was rubbish, and when I needed a new computer shared my worries with the salesman...Big mistake he being the 'expert' said as it was just for personal use I shouldn't get any problems :(
Once bitten twice shy.

I ended up with Win8 because literally all the computers in the store had it. I didn't want to spend time shopping around for another.
It's very quick and I've not had any major problems with it except for the re-purchase MS Office and that it was designed for a mobile phone.
Linux is increasingly your friend.
No, it isn't.

With Linux you have all of the same problems and rather less resources trying to deal with them.

If you want it to work, buy a Mac. Just make sure everything you want it to work with is also supplied by Apple.

I prefer PC's but then again I have Win 7.
Release the Guardvarks.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

The Education Select Committee is releasing a bipartisan report this week saying that the Coalition's education reforms have had little or no effect.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... ry-inquiry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The education committee report is expected to be most damaging in drawing a contrast between the results of converter academies – schools that voluntarily converted to academy status through policies introduced by Michael Gove in 2010 – and Labour’s earlier sponsored academy programme, which sought to turn around struggling schools.

The MPs took evidence from policymakers and considered data on exam performance in judging the effectiveness of different types of schools.

Once adjusted for prior attainment, however, it found that converter academies did less well than sponsored academies.
Money well spent. :wall:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Pictured: Open air SWIMMING POOL to be built in middle of the Thames...for £10milion
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... ol-5041813" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Well Robert Peston isn't impressed (quelle surprise) but it is looking as though Labour are going to announce their intention to cut tuition fees to £6k; it may not be all some (including me) would have wanted, but it is a start, it can be built on and it puts clear blue water between Labour and the Tories .... and I bet it has got Clegg spitting blood.

Might be wrong, but I have "one of my feelings" about this. They will be lower than 6k and there will be something to help those who have already had to pay (or borrow) for them ;)
I'm listening AAW ... I'm listening. You are the woman that predicted the royal pregnancy - I bow to 'one of your feelings'.
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Night PF.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-night, everyone.
love
JA
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Hobiejoe wrote:Is it just me, or is anyone else deriving a great deal of vicarious excitement and satisfaction in following an election in which a left-wing anti-austerity party is set fair for a cracking result?

Yes, I know, beware dodgy exit polls &tc, but it looks like the Greeks have taken against The Narrative laid out for them by The Great'n'The Good. I'll drink to that - στην υγειά σας Image
Nicely done, and I admire the sentiment. Stin yassas and efharisto!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Spacedone wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:Above, any chance of posting the URL my web browser throws away FTN embedded you tube.
So does mine on this loan machine – a 2010 Intel-based Macbook. I've been trying to work out why and fix it but decided I wasn't in the frame of mind for dealing with it.
It could be something like Adobe Flash Player needing updating.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you try it remember to untick the 'special' offer to install McAfee on your computer.
That's a thought. Thanks. Leaving it for today, though, as I'll doubtless have to work out the most recent build I can install.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

David Cameron ‏@David_Cameron 8 mins8 minutes ago
The Greek election will increase economic uncertainty across Europe. That's why the UK must stick to our plan, delivering security at home.

Running scared? :lol: :lol: :lol:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Night PF & cJA.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:David Cameron ‏@David_Cameron 8 mins8 minutes ago
The Greek election will increase economic uncertainty across Europe. That's why the UK must stick to our plan, delivering security at home.

Running scared? :lol: :lol: :lol:

My eyes are a bit squiffy tonight - read that first time as 'increase comic uncertainty across Europe'.

On second thoughts ... that's probably about right.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:Good-night, everyone.
love
JA
Night JA
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Night JA.

Johnboy and Mary Ellen, just take it as read ....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I'm loving the idea that Empty has taken part in an episode of 'Down The Line' without realising - and called a COBRA meeting and will put in enhanced security on the back of it .... can't wait for the programme to be aired. Wonder what they wanted to chat to him about?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton @georgeeaton · 2h 2 hours ago
Incredibly, the Conservatives will cite the instability in Greece as proof that there has been too little austerity, rather than too much.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Very telling piece by Kevin Maguire in the Mirror (with a suitably scathing cartoon from Mr Rowson).

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/vo ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

I'm listening AAW ... I'm listening. You are the woman that predicted the royal pregnancy - I bow to 'one of your feelings'.
The meeting I went to a couple of weeks ago kicked off with a student (and 4 others from different areas of industry, unemployed and a contract worker agency owner) telling their story about how they have been affected by the Cons. When Ed spoke he wove each "story" in to his speech with details how Labour would be different. On the student one he made a lot about graduates coming out with such massive debt....."something that makes me livid".
During Q&A's (at which he is magnificent at by the way) he was asked about fees and what labour would do. He gave a stock answer adding "I'm not going to do a Clegg on you, when we make our announcement it will add up and will be a firm one.
Now, not much there you may think, but you had to be there and see the look in his eye's and the tone of his voice to understand there was much more going on behind the words.
A sort of "feeling".
:)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Night all :)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AngryAsWell wrote:Night all :)
Night AAW :sleep:
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Citizens income of a sort, known then as Social Credit, goes back to the 1920s when there was a general ideological fluidity post-war and Russian revolution.

The trade unions were interested in the idea, but so were the circles around Oswald Mosley that went on to become the New Party and then the BUF.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_credit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

TE,
With Linux you have all of the same problems and rather less resources trying to deal with them.
That's rubbish. You don't like Linux for some reason, but there's no need to run it down unecessarily. I imagine it is quite a while since you used it, because there is nothing difficult or particularly problematic with linux.