Monday 26th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 26th January 2015

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
WelshIan wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: I think it's a disastrous policy for the Greens. Even if you keep the basic income at the poverty level of JSA, it's going to cost a fortune to give every working age adult in the country that money. I don't see how it can work with migrant workers either.

They could have done excellent work hitting Labour on social security, getting sickness benefit decisions back to GPs and raising benefits to a liveable level. They're now going to be laughed off the podium by Labour.

It's time might come, but it's nowhere near ready if Natalie Bennett can't give any indication of how it's paid for. Ephie is ahead of where Bennett seems to be.

The DWP's running costs were actually on course to come down quite substantially before the "reforms" kicked in.
The websites I linked to earlier give a breakdown of how it could be affordable.
On Citizens Income, there is a model here:
http://www.citizensincome.org/MoneyforEveryone.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Appendix 16, it's a Word document.)
They say the cost is £276bn, and the benefits, tax allowances, etc it would replace cost £272bn (this includes £10bn from scrapping higher rate pension tax relief).

The Left Futures article linked to by Rebeccariots2, provides information on some schemes where it has been trialled, the results were very encouraging:
http://www.leftfutures.org/2015/01/why- ... ns-income/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Namibia trial had to deal with an influx of migrants, and I wouldn't have an issue with placing some conditionality on migrants accessing CI (eg working for at least 6 months before accessing it).

Citizens Income and similar schemes have been discussed for a long time so it is disappointing to hear that the main political advocate of CI made such a hash of the interview yesterday morning because costings for CI schemes are readily available (I haven't seen it, so am going on what was reported here). I hope she presents the case better in the future.
My other hope is that it moves away from being a Green Party political gimmick and is given serious consideration across the political spectrum. Milton Friedman was in favour of a form of CI so there is room for the Tories and UKIP to get on board!

Ephie's post above gives loads of reasons for why it would be good for society to move to a CI, not least a transformation in the relationship between the state and the individual (even if the amount is the same as JSA). The state would recognise that everyone has a worth that is not related to work.
Thanks for the reply.

It's not transformative, I don't think. For most people, they'll be paying some in and getting some back. And they'll still think some people are getting something for nothing.

The Friedman origin is interesting. but I can't believe he wanted it to be very much. The Green version of it is pretty much a different thing.

If it's a liveable amount, then it'll cost a great deal. Can't see any way round that.
My bold.

That's what worries me. In the current climate which is becoming so set in stone that I despair, I think the same old arguments and mud slinging about who deserves what will make it damn near impossible to carry out.

I'm far more desperate for Labour to get enough people back in work so they feel better about themselves, don't feel so threatened they need scapegoats, and that taxes and NI contributions make a more stress free life for the sick and disabled possible.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Apparently the £ 26,000 cap caused a stampede to the jobcentre,according to Cameron in Torygraph,he really is a arse.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
YouGov/Sun poll tonight – Tories lead by one: CON 34%, LAB 33%, LD 6%, UKIP 15%, GRN 7%
3 polls with the Tories in the lead today ....
I'm despairing. How can this possibly be? Every single day there is a scandal/cock up/ lie. And yet they are still in with a chance. I don't know whether I can stand it.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
YouGov/Sun poll tonight – Tories lead by one: CON 34%, LAB 33%, LD 6%, UKIP 15%, GRN 7%
I'm despairing. How can this possibly be? Every single day there is a scandal/cock up/ lie. And yet they are still in with a chance. I don't know whether I can stand it.
Chill !

Last week they were ahead too - for one single day only ! Yes, one day !!

Calm down !
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I really don't believe these polls.
I think they are fixed, or mangled in some way.
Night all.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Fuck me, Diane Abbot has even got her arse on the NewsNight set !!

Pass me that fucking gun please, I have a use for it !
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

pk1 wrote:Fuck me, Diane Abbot has even got her arse on the NewsNight set !!

Pass me that fucking gun please, I have a use for it !
Most presentable Tory v Labour MP who winds everyone up.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Having another "Labour voted with Tories for austerity" to deal with.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

1.Obviously tight
2.All to play for
3.Think Tories will be disappointed they were not consistently ahead by this time
4.Now is not the time for despair
5.I need my hair cut but there are more important priorities.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Having another "Labour voted with Tories for austerity" to deal with.
And Newsnight can't be bothered to find a Labour spokesperson who will actually argue that point.
Working on the wild side.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

It's been a very strange day, and I am now watching a very strang film, on the Beeb. It's called bitter lake, I'm 2/3 reds through it and don't know what it's for. It makes me feel very uneasy.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Mercury is retrograde until the middle of February.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Alastair McLellan ‏@HSJEditor 1h1 hour ago
Labour wld create “new arm of the NHS” of 5,000 “homecare workers” & encourage hospitals to provide social servces
http://www.hsj.co.uk/news/labour-reveal ... Ma6DP7kdkA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Andy Burnham retweeted
CECOPS CIC ‏@CECOPS 1h1 hour ago
@HSJEditor @CECOPS is un-political, but some of labour's plans definitely sound like the way forward @andyburnhammp
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:Mercury is retrograde until the middle of February.
I was looking for something suitably strangely wonderful to respond to seeingclearly with - but that'll do it Citizen.

Might explain some of the terrible UKIP weather we've been having recently as well.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

A word on voting intention.

Be absolutely clear, because of boundaries being what they currently are, the Tories pile up stupidly high majorities in many Tory areas - but those votes are wasted. It may give the incumbent a frisson of pleasure that his (and it'll be a he, you just know it, and he'll be white, veh, veh upper middle and old) majority is about 20,000, but electoral artihmetic is inexorable, and Labour support is spread more evenly, so as the Tory vote tails off away from the south/south east, Labour's increases, and the seats become rather more winnable.

That's a reason why the Tories need a 5% lead just to get a bare majority.

Equally, the polls. I'm sure Anatoly can explain this to us, but it strikes me that polling - if done of newspaper readers - will display serious confirmation bias, in this case to the right.

Finally, meeja coverage is not, as we all know rather too well, even handed in any sense. When the most left popular paper in your country is the Mirror, and the most left wing broadsheet the Indy, you know you're in a right wing utopia. All other major papers are lined up, square in the pockets of the Tories and big business. They're not going to bite the hand that feeds them; they never have and they never will.

One of the first laws I want to see the next Labour government enact (not talk about) must be about pluralistic ownership of the meeja in the UK, and the disbarring of any foreign national from meeja ownership. Fucking stitch that, Murdoch. As it stands, it's simply a cesspit of right wing spin and whataboutery and Labour can't win that fight. Blair tried by being right wing. Yeah, that did us loads of favours.

And TV and radio coverage is barely an improvement. R4 occasionally distinguishes itself - You and Yours is frequently OK - butthe alleged serious political coverage is risible at best. Tonight's Newsnight on the Greek election and what it might mean for the UK? Kenneth fucking Clarke, Diane fucking Abbott and the used-to-be-principled-I've-now-given-up Caroline fucking Lucas, getting overhyped weeks before she loses her seat.

Worse than pathetic: anti-intellectual, dishonest and I would contend pretty dreadful coverage when there are so many other and more interesting voices to be heard. I'm sure that David Davis and Jeremy Corbyn would have wiped the floor with Lucas tonight,and butted in. This holding back when people are bullshitting their way through a point maddens me. If Clarke had interrupted me, I'd have told him to shut his face, that he'd had his say and that he had no manners. Grrrr.

Sorry about that. Just had to unload.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Are you tapping a thermometer as you write that?

[edit]: my step grandmother in law (yes, it does happen) does the astrological chart stuff (you are a nice person, you have a circulatory system and are warm and loving - 100% tick from everyone) that covers that sort of thing. Please tell me it's a weather forecast or an astronomical observation.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:A word on voting intention.

Be absolutely clear, because of boundaries being what they currently are, the Tories pile up stupidly high majorities in many Tory areas - but those votes are wasted. It may give the incumbent a frisson of pleasure that his (and it'll be a he, you just know it, and he'll be white, veh, veh upper middle and old) majority is about 20,000, but electoral artihmetic is inexorable, and Labour support is spread more evenly, so as the Tory vote tails off away from the south/south east, Labour's increases, and the seats become rather more winnable.

Equally, the polls. I'm sure Anatoly can explain this to us, but it strikes me that polling - if done of newspaper readers - will display serious confirmation bias, in this case to the right.

Finally, meeja coverage is not, as we all know rather too well, even handed in any sense. When the most left popular paper in your country is the Mirror, and the most left wing broadsheet the Indy, you know you're in a right wing utopia. All other major papers are lined up, square in the pockets of the Tories and big business. They're not going to bite the hand that feeds them; they never have and they never will.

One of the first laws I want to see the next Labour government enact (not talk about) must be about pluralistic ownership of the meeja in the UK, and the disbarring of any foreign national from meeja ownership. Fucking stitch that, Murdoch. As it stands, it's simply a cesspit of right wing spin and whataboutery and Labour can't win that fight. Blair tried by being right wing. Yeah, that did us loads of favours.

And TV and radio coverage is barely an improvement. R4 occasionally distinguishes itself - You and Yours is frequently OK - butthe alleged serious political coverage is risible at best. Tonight's Newsnight on the Greek election and what it might mean for the UK? Kenneth fucking Clarke, Diane fucking Abbott and the used-to-be-principled-I've-now-given-up Caroline fucking Lucas, getting overhyped weeks before she loses her seat.

Worse than pathetic: anti-intellectual, dishonest and I would contend pretty dreadful coverage when there are so many other and more interesting voices to be heard. I'm sure that David Davis and Jeremy Corbyn would have wiped the floor with Lucas tonight,and butted in. This holding back when people are bullshitting their way through a point maddens me. If Clarke had interrupted me, I'd have told him to shut his face, that he'd had his say and that he had no manners. Grrrr.

Your 'word' s have a way of extending themselves into fullscale rants Ernst ... but don't you stop, don't you dare stop. Not sure Lucas is going to lose her seat though.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Might have expected some front page coverage of the 70th anniversary of the Auschwitz survivors but not a word.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Trouble is that if Tories come first in votes, they'll get the Lib Dems join them again.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Natalie Rowe is on tip top form tonight.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Trouble is that if Tories come first in votes, they'll get the Lib Dems join them again.
Yup. They'll be sitting outside the cat flap in No 10 waiting for Cameron to let them in.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:A word on voting intention.

Your 'word' s have a way of extending themselves into fullscale rants Ernst ... but don't you stop, don't you dare stop. Not sure Lucas is going to lose her seat though.
Thank you. I assure you I'm a very nice, well mannered and polite mainstream politician wiv a suit and everyfink. Being and seeing red is what I do.

BTW, this:

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/conl ... onKemptown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Middle of the page. She can have a poke at Labour as an opposition councillor in Brighton perhaps. That moratorium crap has annoyed me greatly. Do the Greens not understand that a moratorium is, at best, a hiatus? It ends, back to business. Those Labour amendments actually havemeat on their bones. I know which measure the frackingcompanies will be rueing tonight, and it won't be the intellect lite moratorium proposal.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Wow, NickyB's on fire in the lying stakes tonight!
Even if he could find the money, where does Ed suppose 20,000 more nurses, 8,000 more GPs, 3,000 more midwives will come from? It takes about 10 years to train a GP, 4-5 years to train a nurse and longer to train a midwife.
:toss:

Midwife - 3 years
Nurse - 3 years
GP - no idea but I'm sure it's not more than 4-5 years
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Wow, NickyB's on fire in the lying stakes tonight!
Even if he could find the money, where does Ed suppose 20,000 more nurses, 8,000 more GPs, 3,000 more midwives will come from? It takes about 10 years to train a GP, 4-5 years to train a nurse and longer to train a midwife.
:toss:

Midwife - 3 years
Nurse - 3 years
GP - no idea but I'm sure it's not more than 4-5 years
Said without irony I take it, given that Cameron's often crowed about providing more doctors for the NHS. Those who started their degrees in 2010 might just be in practice by 2016, unless they've decided on a specialty, in which case 2017 ahoy.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Gapes MP ‏@MikeGapes 7m7 minutes ago
Why did @BBCNewsnight not ask Green Party MP Lucas to condemn Syriza coalition with right wing anti Semitic homophobic party.
To be fair ... I think Kenneth Clarke was probably the most likely of the three chair guests to have made that point - the least to lose as clearly not trying to be aligned with Syriza ... but Newsnight didn't ask any of them to comment on that aspect.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Hey - we're down to 99 days till the election folks....
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Remember too that all of these polls show a swing from the conservatives to Labour in England, the only place where the tories have any possibility of making significant gains - in fact they're going to lose seats, not gain them - smithson was posting earlier to day that on a 4% uniform swing ( I know, I know) labour would make 54 gains and with the Lib Dems even on best estimates losing upwards of 20 seats there won't be a majority for the tories and lib dems to cobble together.
I still believe in a town called Hope
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I popped in to see a friend in the village this morning. She is someone who has come out delivering leaflets with me - because she doesn't want the Tories to get in again in this seat - very concerned about animal welfare - but always says she is a Green at heart.

When her temporary foster dog had got over having an initial fit at my entry ... the first things she asked me was had I seen that interview with Natalie Bennett. She said it had chased away any lingering doubts she might have had about whether she should be supporting them or not. I think the best way to describe her reaction was shock. I was surprised because she's not someone that usually wants to talk about policies other than animal welfare in much depth with me. It clearly woke her up to consider quite a lot of issues. Have to say I'm still very impressed by the way Neil built his interview up - haven't seen anything like that for quite some time.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I was looking for something suitably strangely wonderful to respond to seeingclearly with - but that'll do it Citizen.

Might explain some of the terrible UKIP weather we've been having recently as well.

It seemed the most bizarrely weird interpretation of the events of over a hundred years that I've yet seen or heard. Which I why I posted. And the juxtaposition of events similarly so. I'm not exactly sure who it lets off the hook, but it does do that, in spades. Along with a good dollop of Carry on up the Kyber, and a few bizarre clips of a woman trying to explain why a urinal is considered art to some rather bewildered Afghani students.

My main objection to what I was watching is the fact that nowhere was Afghanistan portrayed as ever having had a history or culture of its own, aside from the very few glimpses of what is left of what once was a garden city. And that everything else had a similar treatment, too. A terribly damaged young girl, with her father very shortly followed by a far longer clip of a western soldier playing with a very tame bird while a butterfly somehow gets into the picture too. Extremely unsettling to watch and think about, especially after following the hope and scepticism and anger and some despair too, of people who thought Ed had really promised that ILF would.be restored.

Sod Mercury. And my uneasiness was not about what I felt about it, not really, it purports to explain, but doesn't, not really. Which leaves it open to a very wide interpretation.
Last edited by seeingclearly on Tue 27 Jan, 2015 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Response to the Education Select Committee report ‘Academies and Free Schools’ - Tristram Hunt

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1092494 ... tee-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Report by Victims’ Commissioner is a damning indictment of the way victims and witnesses have been let down by David Cameron’s Government - Sadiq Khan"

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1092496 ... -a-damning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

HindleA wrote:Response to the Education Select Committee report ‘Academies and Free Schools’ - Tristram Hunt

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1092494 ... tee-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Report by Victims’ Commissioner is a damning indictment of the way victims and witnesses have been let down by David Cameron’s Government - Sadiq Khan"

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1092496 ... -a-damning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They brought forward the report on academies and free schools because of the leak to the Guardian apparently - I'll take a look in the morning. Can't seem to get it right now.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@RogerOThornhill

I know I have said it before ,but I wish the press releases would link to reports etc they are commenting on.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Well, I'm still on the same hobby horse. Bitter Lake is iPlayer only and more than 2 hours long. Adam Curtis. IMHO not what he's usually cracked up to be. I've seen too much art house type stuff to think differently, and if you know how to do that stuff it's down to what footage you obtain and what your aesthetic is about. But see for yourself if you've got time. I have, as I'm more organised than I thought I'd be, and apart from having a house I can't clean, I'm ready to go.

I've thought about it a little more, because it is thought provoking. But it builds up a story that replaces the narratives we know, and then asks us what story we should want. Which is all very well, if the story was really that comprehensive, but it isn't, it's really selective, and only points to good and evil in a particular linear story, once you've reassembled the fragmented bits. My mind keeps on saying what about the rest of recent history, what about all the other decimated places, they simply can't be fitted into it. So in spite of shocking with its apparent randomness, it seems to me instead to be shockingly Eurocentric, and a sort of awful apologia for a west that is every bit as power hungry as any other player. We are not some kindly misguided uncle.

Oh well, I guess it got to me.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
Are you tapping a thermometer as you write that?

[edit]: my step grandmother in law (yes, it does happen) does the astrological chart stuff (you are a nice person, you have a circulatory system and are warm and loving - 100% tick from everyone) that covers that sort of thing. Please tell me it's a weather forecast or an astronomical observation.
It's an astronomical observation, the study of which helped astronomers to formulate a more accurate understanding of the shapes of planetary orbits as ellipses rather than circles. From the earth Mercury (as only one example) appears to halt it's 'forward' motion, travel backwards for a period of time, halt again, then resume forward motion. The 'backwards' travel phase is called retrograde motion in astronomical terms.

Astrologers associate Mercury with communication and regard the retrograde phase as (usually) interfering with normal (or positive) patterns of communication – whether that is person to person or communication technologies, or even roads, rail, etc., Because there is a set date on which Mercury (as the example here) resumes that 'forward' motion people can gain (find within themselves) an extra dose of courage/strength because they can see an end to a difficult period which is otherwise disheartening for them, be that on a personal level or a societal one; and they might take more care in the way they themselves communicate in order to ensure that they do not contribute towards confusion or misunderstandings themselves. In psychological astrology, in particular, transits (when planets appear to meet or form angles to other planets) and retrogrades are treated very much as 'weather forecasts' rather than as predictions of an absolute.

Mercury retrograde? Clouds of confusion with a chance of misunderstandings, arguments, mixed-messages and 'not-spots'.

So the answer is 'both' - but I'm guessing you knew that already ;)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...