Tuesday 27th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Re: Tuesday 27th January 2015

Post by pk1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
George Osborne ‏@George_Osborne 2h2 hours ago
Am @Waitrose in Hove doing interviews on GDP stats with BBC's @Peston, @EdConwaySky,@siobhankennedy4, @andybell5news and @ITVJoel
Waitrose in Hove.
Not sure what your alluding to here RR2 (we aren't all oiks in this area you know ,) but it's actually technically in Brighton, although on the border with Hove. It's in Caroline Lucas' constituency.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

thatchersorphan wrote:Bella announced today that the YTU thread is closing after today. Not sure if one of the regular chatters wants to put the link to here in it http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... 28-january" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , I tried the other day as some of us are leaving because of beta, but was told by another poster there (who I don't think is a member here) that you wouldn't welcome them here en-masse, so if you welcome new people (which I thought was the case) it may be best if one of you posts the link to here for them.
Hiya Orphy, trust me, I'd be delighted for a bunch of new posters to turn up. We've got the capacity, the structure, I hope what would be considered sensible moderation and a wish to expand the gaffe a bit.

On a personal note, now I've redecorated the toilets and sorted out the snack bar so that it's got a full licence to serve grog - it's great to see Ernst Lenin Remarx over the door - I suspect that new visitors will feel much more at home. So, if you (plural, all FTNers) are still on GU, then please feel free to use our URL as a call sign or in your profiles, as it's about time we encouraged more people through the door. And no, that's not to generate hits to get more advertising revenues in. Unlike the Graun.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

pk1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Am @Waitrose in Hove doing interviews on GDP stats with BBC's @Peston, @EdConwaySky,@siobhankennedy4, @andybell5news and @ITVJoel
Waitrose in Hove.
Not sure what your alluding to here RR2 (we aren't all oiks in this area you know ,) but it's actually technically in Brighton, although on the border with Hove. It's in Caroline Lucas' constituency.
I'm doing a reverse Emily Thornberry (very hard move - you have to study years to be able to do one of them). You - the reader - have to infer for yourself what you will from my provocatively banal statement.
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Excellent explanation re the fracking votes and related matters from Shelia Gilmore via the link she gives here:
Sheila Gilmore ‏@SheilaGilmoreMP 21m21 minutes ago
A number of people have contacted me about fracking. I have posted my response on my website: http://www.sheilagilmore.co.uk/fracking ... ture-bill/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
This is good as well.

http://utilitiesscotland.com/2015/01/27 ... -fracking/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
They are bitter and twisted because their man didn't win. When your man doesn't win your chances of rising to the top are practically nil...Some Blairites swallowed their craw, toed the party line - mostly - and have managed to hang on. Some like Milburn and the other twat were too proud pissed off to grovel. And this is the result.
That may well be true but in the case of people like Mandelson and Milburn, they have had their day and seemingly voluntarily moved on - Milburn stepped down as an MP and has been doing rather well out of acting as a consultant to anyone who will pay him, including the coalition and the Australian Labour Party. Unless he hopes a future Blairite Labour leader will ennoble him and give him a role in the Lords? Mandelson has enjoyed spending more time with his ego and oligarch's yachts since 2010 and can have no further hope of any sort of career in parliament.

But I think it becomes clearer when you see Milburn's interests in private healthcare and Mandelson's ****ing massive house.
I bet he's got all sorts of nice little earners lined up...Otherwise he wouldn't be spouting such shite.
All parties are going to have to come to terms with those nice little earners not being acceptable. Cameron will ignore. That's a given, but Ed needs to really get tough.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Once again I apologise for my language, but I am so angry I think I'd fetch him one if we met.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

pk1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Waitrose in Hove.
Waitrose announces plans to create 2,000 new jobs in Britain
Supermarket firm to embark on store-opening spree following strong Christmas trading

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... 0-new-jobs
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

What happened to when ministers and politicians went to the House of Commons to make announcements on important economic figures - or did an interview in a stateroom somewhere with a suitably sensible backdrop - or stood out on Westminster green with the cars whizzing around them? When they had gravitas and relied on the sense of occasion and the importance of the announcement to carry the day.

There's far too much of this wafting about the country ... going into car factories .... driving tractors .... busting their trousers while dangling on zipwires ... wearing hard hats .... wearing hi viz vests in Christmas tree plantations ..... going to bloody Waitrose in Hove to announce the latest GDP figures hoping we're all more interested in what he put in his basket than the grinning porky spin he spouts!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
pk1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Waitrose in Hove.
I'm doing a reverse Emily Thornberry (very hard move - you have to study years to be able to do one of them). You - the reader - have to infer for yourself what you will from my provocatively banal statement.
Co-op Bank likely in trouble?
Edited to add. Bugger I got it wrong
Last edited by ohsocynical on Tue 27 Jan, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

citizenJA wrote:
pk1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Waitrose in Hove.
Waitrose announces plans to create 2,000 new jobs in Britain
Supermarket firm to embark on store-opening spree following strong Christmas trading

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... 0-new-jobs
Services again - that chart with the growth figures where the other three sectors aren't even back up to their pre-2011 level was telling.

Rebalancing my arse.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Osborne at a Waitrose & a great big article splashed out in the Business section about that retail establishment intending to hire a couple thousand people.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
pk1 wrote: Not sure what your alluding to here RR2 (we aren't all oiks in this area you know ,) but it's actually technically in Brighton, although on the border with Hove. It's in Caroline Lucas' constituency.
Co-op Bank likely in trouble?
Edited to add. Bugger I got it wrong
This is rather like Mornington Crescent.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The ONS figures today are explicitly clear - it's retail services at the top of the GDP.
Interestingly, the long-term financial service sector percentages are receding.
I'll get the ONS links in a minute.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

ohsocynical wrote:Once again I apologise for my language, but I am so angry I think I'd fetch him one if we met.
Don't apologise, no need, me I am trying to get my head around the Poison Dwarf, Cairns, saying Wales has gone backward under Labour, 200,000 never worked, more benefit culture etc yet it's the second fastest growing area in the country, not that that counts for jack shit.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

RobertSnozers wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:A (very) brief visit to the Graun website confirmed my immediate suspicions - Milburn's comments are the big news story (Wintour and Watt in there, natch), whilst there's no report per se of Burnham's comprehensive plan for Labour.

Expect the Graun to come out for anyone - anyone at all - before they recommend voting Labour.
Why do they do it? Mandelson and Milburn and that crowd? They must know that the media just needs half a sniff of an anti-Labour story to jump all over it, and Milburn's comments were clearly timed to upstage Burnham's speech - even though he didn't seem to know what was in it. Their time has come and gone and they are not part of the political landscape any more. I can't help feeling that if Douglas Hurd or John Patten attempted to derail a major speech by a current Tory frontbencher, their intervention would be a footnote in the story at best.

It leaves me feeling that the outmoded Blairites are hoping for Labour to lose in May so one of their chosen can take over. It didn't work in 2010, so why do they think it will now?
Of course the Blairites want Labour to lose! Bro' David didn't get the gig, and a Labour defeat in May would bring his return and coronation a step closer. Also, Milburn is deeply implicated since he's become a shill for private health firms and taken their dollar - literally. You look closely and you'll see the the much vaunted Third Way was nothing more than a chance for some faux lefties to usher in the companies into the NHS et al from which they would receive remuneration in the future as a 'thank you'.

File under 'shite', along with Progress.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

@Ohso - congratulations on your anniversary.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Anti Academies ‏@antiacademies 21 secs22 seconds ago
Margaret Hodge MP to Durand HT "How have you got time to launch a new dating business which operated out of the school premises ...?" #PAC
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

pk1 wrote::fire:
Bad news - last night MPs voted to give the green light to fracking across the UK. 50 MPs broke ranks to vote against the plans, but it wasn’t enough. [1] Trespass laws have changed: now dirty energy companies can apply to drill for oil and gas under our homes.

Days like today are difficult. But we urgently need to channel our frustration into hope - because tomorrow, Lancashire County Council could vote to block fracking in Lancashire. [2] Local councils still have the power to block fracking, so this is a test case. Council by council, we could start to turn the tide.

38 Degrees members in Lancashire are pushing their council hard to do the right thing tomorrow. In the wake of yesterday’s vote, let’s stand with them - and prove that across the country, we’re not done fighting yet. Please add your name to a huge message of support for 38 Degrees members fighting fracking in Lancashire:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/back-lancashire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)

38 degrees has this all arse about face & are being disingenuous when they state:
MPs weren’t even given the chance to vote on changes to trespass laws, because the debate went on so long.
http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The f-ing debate was only given 2 hours, not that it went on for hours & hours !!

Talking of fracking & disingenuous, I notice Caroline Lucas said last night:
.@DianaJohnsonMP @AnnMSinnott Misleading! Labour chose to push other votes, leaving no time for Amt 51 - was told by Speaker I couldn't move

yet curiously I can't find a Hansard record of her being told this.......

edit to add:

Found what I suspect Lucas was referring to & it's not the Speaker that denied her but Amber Rudd who was speaking for the govt at the time - a far different matter to that as claimed by Lucas !
Amendments, 51, 56 and 47 are not necessary. I have already outlined why the underground access provisions are required. Many other industries already access underground land beneath peoples’ homes, in order to lay cables and build infrastructure such as water pipes and tunnels. I ask that hon. Members do not press these amendments.

Caroline Lucas rose—

Amber Rudd: I shall not take any more interventions, as I must finish my comments.
So, basically Lucas lied? Phew, this 'new politics' is taking some getting used to.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:A (very) brief visit to the Graun website confirmed my immediate suspicions - Milburn's comments are the big news story (Wintour and Watt in there, natch), whilst there's no report per se of Burnham's comprehensive plan for Labour.

Expect the Graun to come out for anyone - anyone at all - before they recommend voting Labour.
Why do they do it? Mandelson and Milburn and that crowd? They must know that the media just needs half a sniff of an anti-Labour story to jump all over it, and Milburn's comments were clearly timed to upstage Burnham's speech - even though he didn't seem to know what was in it. Their time has come and gone and they are not part of the political landscape any more. I can't help feeling that if Douglas Hurd or John Patten attempted to derail a major speech by a current Tory frontbencher, their intervention would be a footnote in the story at best.

It leaves me feeling that the outmoded Blairites are hoping for Labour to lose in May so one of their chosen can take over. It didn't work in 2010, so why do they think it will now?
Of course the Blairites want Labour to lose! Bro' David didn't get the gig, and a Labour defeat in May would bring his return and coronation a step closer. Also, Milburn is deeply implicated since he's become a shill for private health firms and taken their dollar - literally. You look closely and you'll see the the much vaunted Third Way was nothing more than a chance for some faux lefties to usher in the companies into the NHS et al from which they would receive remuneration in the future as a 'thank you'.

File under 'shite', along with Progress.
The Wikepedia entry was interesting. A finger in a lot of pies.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
pk1 wrote::fire:
Bad news - last night MPs voted to give the green light to fracking across the UK. 50 MPs broke ranks to vote against the plans, but it wasn’t enough. [1] Trespass laws have changed: now dirty energy companies can apply to drill for oil and gas under our homes.

Days like today are difficult. But we urgently need to channel our frustration into hope - because tomorrow, Lancashire County Council could vote to block fracking in Lancashire. [2] Local councils still have the power to block fracking, so this is a test case. Council by council, we could start to turn the tide.

38 Degrees members in Lancashire are pushing their council hard to do the right thing tomorrow. In the wake of yesterday’s vote, let’s stand with them - and prove that across the country, we’re not done fighting yet. Please add your name to a huge message of support for 38 Degrees members fighting fracking in Lancashire:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/back-lancashire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)

38 degrees has this all arse about face & are being disingenuous when they state:
MPs weren’t even given the chance to vote on changes to trespass laws, because the debate went on so long.
http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The f-ing debate was only given 2 hours, not that it went on for hours & hours !!

Talking of fracking & disingenuous, I notice Caroline Lucas said last night:
.@DianaJohnsonMP @AnnMSinnott Misleading! Labour chose to push other votes, leaving no time for Amt 51 - was told by Speaker I couldn't move

yet curiously I can't find a Hansard record of her being told this.......

edit to add:

Found what I suspect Lucas was referring to & it's not the Speaker that denied her but Amber Rudd who was speaking for the govt at the time - a far different matter to that as claimed by Lucas !
Amendments, 51, 56 and 47 are not necessary. I have already outlined why the underground access provisions are required. Many other industries already access underground land beneath peoples’ homes, in order to lay cables and build infrastructure such as water pipes and tunnels. I ask that hon. Members do not press these amendments.

Caroline Lucas rose—

Amber Rudd: I shall not take any more interventions, as I must finish my comments.
So, basically Lucas lied? Phew, this 'new politics' is taking some getting used to.
Lets be kind. Call it generously enlarged the truth.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Welsh Lib Dem leader Kirsty Williams is "frustrated and disappointed" with polling figures that show them 6th in Wales behind UKIP, excuse moi, but WTF!

Down Cardiff bay last week, sauntering about, no woeful Lib Dems or PC AMs about though, damn shame that.
kizbot
Backbencher

Post by kizbot »

hello. kizbot here. just dropped in from the socialist republic of greece to say hi..
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

ohsocynical wrote:Anti Academies ‏@antiacademies 21 secs22 seconds ago
Margaret Hodge MP to Durand HT "How have you got time to launch a new dating business which operated out of the school premises ...?" #PAC
I watched that - they weren't impressed at all by his seeming ability to be able to run a business at the same time as being a HT.

Neither were they impressed by his ability to trouser vast sums of cash from a company run from assets built on publicly owned land.

It got very heated...and he came out of it looking shifty and grasping.

I loved the bit where he and the DfE officials disputed who was responsible for the land - could the company he controls sell it without DfE permission - the DfE said one thing, Martin disagreed.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

kizbot wrote:hello. kizbot here. just dropped in from the socialist republic of greece to say hi..
Good to see you :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

kizbot wrote:hello. kizbot here. just dropped in from the socialist republic of greece to say hi..
Yassas kizbot.

Hope you are enjoying the moment to the full.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Hiya Kizbot, lovely to see you. Hope that party is going well? :rock:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

ohsocynical wrote:Ahhh. This Alan Milburn

Establishment of Foundation Trust Hospitals and the Mid Staffs Hospital scandal.
In 2002 Milburn introduced NHS foundation trusts, "described at the time as a sort of halfway house between the public and private sectors".
Between January 2005 and March 2009 there was a major scandal involving poor care at Stafford Hospital, a small district general hospital in Staffordshire. The Guardian highlights the hospital trust board's goal to attain Foundation trust status as a reason that the care was so bad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -deal.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1059310 ... llion.html

Edited to add: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Milburn

Ed should have done a bit of house cleaning. Especially with this one.
Did you know Alan Milburn used to be a Marxist, or a Trotskyist, and heavily involved n CND?
Very interesting, very sardonic article about hml from the Socialist Party of GB:
http://www.worldsocialism.org/spgb/soci ... ys-despair
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Waitrose in Hove.
Actually.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://schoolsimprovement.net/nicola-st ... or-schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps some exaggeration but seems SNP are going to move towards primary school testing.

They'll probably not go to English extremes, but all a bit "New Labour", isn't it?

Interesting to see they withdrew from some international tests. Except PISA. Doubtless this is because they genuinely think it's the only good one, and not because they paid PISA to tell them what to do?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ohsocynical wrote:Once again I apologise for my language, but I am so angry I think I'd fetch him one if we met.
Don't worry - on your 53rd wedding anniversary, you can say what you want. Look it up, it's in the rules.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

I'm loving the idea of Mornington Crescent.

Somehow I think it could involve all our least favourite politicians and commentators. And the game would perhaps be called Dan Hodges.

Right I'm starting.

Danny Alexander.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mornington_Crescent_(game" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: This is rather like Mornington Crescent.
Swiss Cottage
Are we allowing diagonals? Really?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I'm loving the idea of Mornington Crescent.

Somehow I think it could involve all our least favourite politicians and commentators. And the game would perhaps be called Dan Hodges.

Right I'm starting.

Danny Alexander.
That might have finished us off before we've played! :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Esther McVey
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Michael Gove

(I'm playing by the newly devolved Scottish rules by the way)
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Tue 27 Jan, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Simon Danczuk
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

rebeccariots2 wrote:Esther McVey
Is it really allowed to go from Beaker to McVile? It's simply too awful to contemplate.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

BTW - we're playing Portsmouth rules (Mike Hancock / AKA Peg Leg = Mornington Crescent).
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

rebeccariots2 wrote:BTW - we're playing Portsmouth rules (Mike Hancock / AKA Peg Leg = Mornington Crescent).
:lol:

Paddy Ashdown
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:I'm loving the idea of Mornington Crescent.

Right I'm starting.

Danny Alexander.
Hmm Are we playing Erskine May rules?

Nicholas Watt
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: This is rather like Mornington Crescent.
Swiss Cottage
Are we allowing diagonals? Really?
Under the newly devolved Scottish rules, yes, perfectly legal diagonal move.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Cool! Yia sou kizbot! Ti kanete?

Great you've joined/posted, and lucky you, living in the most progressive capital in the EU! please keep with us, I'm sure you've got lots of goodies on what's occurrin' in Greece.

Thavmassious!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Esther McVey
Is it really allowed to go from Beaker to McVile? It's simply too awful to contemplate.
But if we don't we have to go back and see Danny Alexander in a split thigh dress approaching No 10 from the Westminster underpass. So have to have McVile ...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just sat here wondering how much health insurance for a family of 4 would cost in the States. Not sure how full the cover would be because it varies from company to company. Suspect you'd only get basic cover for that amount.
But the sum is $22,000 which converts to roughly £14,520 a year.

Can you imagine the screams of dismay at having to fork out that sort of money? But if you want your kids teeth kept up together and all their vaccinations and your yearly health check that's what you have to pay. And why the poor have to make do with only basic emergency care being free.
Course the more kids you have, the more it costs :)

That's what Farage wants to see.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

We need some order...
Margaret Hodge
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AngryAsWell wrote:Michael Gove

Difficult; Lord McAlpine (yes, he counts).

Is it possible to be 'in spoon' with this variant?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Michael Gove

Difficult; Lord McAlpine (yes, he counts).

Is it possible to be 'in spoon' with this variant?
Ouch, going to have to deviate on that one.
Sir Jeremy Heywood
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

And just imagine. Your family might be fit as fleas all year, but you still have to pay your £14,520 because your neighbour might be having a really big operation on his insurance, and someone has to pay for it.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Simon Hughes!

The straight choice!