Wednesday 28th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Re: Wednesday 28th January 2015

Post by ephemerid »

ephemerid wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
adam wrote: Curse you, I was awaiting the opportunity for some Family Stacking and had been holding 'The Bottomley's' in reserve for the right moment.

Although now you've opened the door…..

The Eagles.

Hah!

Euan Blair

Alternatively.....

If you can have the Eagles, I want.....

The Doobie Brothers

The Byrds
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I keep expecting a rash of tweets from and interviews with Julie Bailey / Cure The NHS following Andy Burnham's speech and today's developments ...

I see she last had a go at Andy Burnham and Labour around Jan 13th.

I also see her profile now refers to CTNHS as a 'campaign group'.
Working on the wild side.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Lib Dem Voice headlines have reached new heights / depths ... I think they've been taken over by Monty Python.
Sal Brinton: “We aren’t dead”
http://www.libdemvoice.org/sal-brinton- ... 44400.html
Ah yes, the same Sal Brinton who was utterly convinced she was going to win Watford in both 2005 *and* 2010 :lol:

(scurrilous rumour is that the LibDems were so sure they were going to win last time after Cleggmania, that they had a load of champagne ordered)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Bonnie Greer @Bonn1eGreer · 53m 53 minutes ago
If #NickRobinson did reveal to PM an off the record conversation he had with Leader of the Opposition..how is his position tenable?
#pmqs

Bonnie Greer
‏@Bonn1eGreer
Interesting,too, that no journos have asked this question re: #NickRobinson-or rather I haven't seen the question asked.Serious breach
#pmqs
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Lib Dem Voice headlines have reached new heights / depths ... I think they've been taken over by Monty Python.
Sal Brinton: “We aren’t dead”
http://www.libdemvoice.org/sal-brinton- ... 44400.html
Ah yes, the same Sal Brinton who was utterly convinced she was going to win Watford in both 2005 *and* 2010 :lol:

(scurrilous rumour is that the LibDems were so sure they were going to win last time after Cleggmania, that they had a load of champagne ordered)
AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH. Go away, go away.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

I wish Miliband would occasionally do a 2/3 split on his questions (and not ask a 6th).
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH. Go away, go away.
Can't imagine what you are on about :)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

phew
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (235.27 KiB) Viewed 9818 times
What with Cameron's ruddy red face and Osborne almost falling face first off the bench, PMQs is starting to look more like after dinner speeches at the club than a PM question and answer session.

The election can't come soon enough. We deserve better than these clowns.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

StephenDolan wrote:I wish Miliband would occasionally do a 2/3 split on his questions (and not ask a 6th).
He split his questions just the other week, didn't he?

Agree about the last point though, not least because it would deprive the PM of his pre-prepared Crosby-scripted insult that Ed can't answer back to.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:I wish Miliband would occasionally do a 2/3 split on his questions (and not ask a 6th).
He split his questions just the other week, didn't he?

Agree about the last point though, not least because it would deprive the PM of his pre-prepared Crosby-scripted insult that Ed can't answer back to.
But can you imagine the meeja reaction, claims that he "forgot again", comments that if he can't even count to six how can he be trusted with the economy? And, yes, I do think they would be that childish.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

So.

We now know that Nick Robinson is "one of the most respected journalists in the country" and that his ethics are so admirable he releases details of private conversations which he cannot prove but which are damaging to a party he opposed as a President of the Oxford University Conservatives.

OGRFG was as bumptious as ever proclaiming that the Labour leader stated he wanted to "weaponise" the NHS despite there being no proof; even if there were, what is wrong with using the Tories' neglect and ideological privatising of our health service as a stick to beat them with.

If this is rotten politics, one needs to look no further than the politician who first said this in public - Jeremy Hunt. Yes, it was he.
Meanwhile, we can forget all about the Tories saying they will weaponise what they choose to call "welfare".

Yet again, we have Cameron refusing to answer specific questions, using the Welsh NHS as a battering ram, and dishing out personal insults and insisting in a nasty bullying repeated fashion that Miliband answers a question that has no relevance to the original question.

I am sick of this.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Andrew Sparrow is defending Robinson btl
ScreenShot00115.jpg
ScreenShot00115.jpg (41.21 KiB) Viewed 9774 times
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

You are to be commended Toby for bothering to navigate your way around the appalling new Guardian site.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:
Untitled.png
What with Cameron's ruddy red face and Osborne almost falling face first off the bench, PMQs is starting to look more like after dinner speeches at the club than a PM question and answer session.

What does hunched forward body language signify?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Untitled.png

Being off your face on coke?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Toby Latimer wrote:Andrew Sparrow is defending Robinson btl
ScreenShot00115.jpg
Has anybody pointed out to Sparrow that, in this instance, he should have said "what politicians are alleged to have thought"? Really no shock that Andrew is leaping to his defence, birds of a feather .....
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

yahyah wrote:You are to be commended Toby for bothering to navigate your way around the appalling new Guardian site.
It is dreadful to get around right now, it may be that we get used to older things, it is second nature when they become a habit. I don't like how the things I read are now buried. For now I've stored the links to the Politics & Society sections main pages in the browser 'favorites' I might persevere with it, but I don't post there a fraction of what I once did, just seems like change for the sake of it. I can't really see what they have gained.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Toby Latimer wrote:Andrew Sparrow is defending Robinson btl
ScreenShot00115.jpg
Has anybody pointed out to Sparrow that, in this instance, he should have said "what politicians are alleged to have thought"? Really no shock that Andrew is leaping to his defence, birds of a feather .....

Have become quite disillusioned with The Sparrow of late.
Along with the Beta crap it makes not visiting the site anymore a positive option.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
Untitled.png

He needs to use the toilet.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Recorded coverage of this morning's DWP Select Committee's one off session with Harper,for those interested re."progress with PIP and ESA reforms"

Ad hoc analysis of PIP assessments:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... statistics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Green response:
http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1093882 ... ip-of-huge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (16.64 KiB) Viewed 9718 times
This graphic from the BBC clearly shows the impact of austerity. This is what Tory voters signed up for in 2010 (and Clegg stole votes to prop up).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31015807
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Daily Rupert ‏@TheMurdochTimes 35m35 minutes ago
Court trial of Sun journos sees document signed by Rebekah Brooks OK-ing illegal payments. Murdoch's NewsInt did not give doc to police.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

oops

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Playe ... ngId=17097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Appreciate that not many of us will have either the time or the inclination for this, but seeing as AK mentioned it on page 1:

http://www.theguardian.com/help/insideg ... an-website" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the full beta feedback thread. Among the revelations:

- The usual overwhelmingly negative response, such as: "my only use for the site is to tell you this is a fuck up of monumental proportions. If I wanted to view a site like this I'd look for the Pinterest board of a politically engaged teenage girl."
- Rare positive comments tend to come from staff, dormant accounts or first-time posters (I have counted five of these on page one, three on the second page, five on the third, two on page four and three on the fifth and final page). Here's just one example:

https://profile.theguardian.com/user/id/4724648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here's an even better one, from a web designer commenting for the first time:

https://profile.theguardian.com/user/id/14395908" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Staff having to provide links to things like cartoons, cycling blogs or the science page, yet failing to appreciate this is an obvious design flaw
- Ah, and now I've spotted refitman pointing out the "sport/football" thing I mentioned earlier, and the fact you even have to be shown how to get to "politics"
- Staff referring to earlier feedback and claiming to have listened!
- Comment section pointlessly renamed "opinion", even though CiF is surely one of the most recognisable identities on the web
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Osborne was allegedly dropped on his head "several times" by the lovely upper class inbreds he was at public school with, if true he could be high risk for Cerebral aneurysm which could be affecting his balance and co-ordination, or neuropathic problems of the core stability which is causing him to sway and ability to concentrate.

On the other hand
There are other rare causes of aneurysms. Mycotic aneurysms are caused by infections of the artery wall. Tumors and trauma can also cause aneurysms to form. Drug abuse, especially cocaine, can cause the artery walls to inflame and weaken.

http://tankthetories.com/george-osborne ... -st-pauls/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.medicinenet.com/brain_aneurysm/article.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Toby Latimer wrote:Osborne was allegedly dropped on his head "several times" by the lovely upper class inbreds he was at public school with, if true he could be high risk for Cerebral aneurysm which could be affecting his balance and co-ordination, or neuropathic problems of the core stability which is causing him to sway and ability to concentrate.

On the other hand
There are other rare causes of aneurysms. Mycotic aneurysms are caused by infections of the artery wall. Tumors and trauma can also cause aneurysms to form. Drug abuse, especially cocaine, can cause the artery walls to inflame and weaken.

http://tankthetories.com/george-osborne ... -st-pauls/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.medicinenet.com/brain_aneurysm/article.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Allegedly? Just look at that face, you know that he had his head flushed down the toilet every day of his time at St Pauls ..... by the teachers! ;)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Nice reminder of the cynical campaign v perfectly sensible rationalizations in the NHS pre-2010.

Sounds like Cameron couldn't even admit one A&E he promised to save was closed.

Prime Ministerial.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

NonOxCol wrote:Appreciate that not many of us will have either the time or the inclination for this, but seeing as AK mentioned it on page 1:

http://www.theguardian.com/help/insideg ... an-website" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the full beta feedback thread. Among the revelations:

- The usual overwhelmingly negative response, such as: "my only use for the site is to tell you this is a fuck up of monumental proportions. If I wanted to view a site like this I'd look for the Pinterest board of a politically engaged teenage girl."
- Rare positive comments tend to come from staff, dormant accounts or first-time posters (I have counted five of these on page one, three on the second page, five on the third, two on page four and three on the fifth and final page). Here's just one example:

https://profile.theguardian.com/user/id/4724648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here's an even better one, from a web designer commenting for the first time:

https://profile.theguardian.com/user/id/14395908" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Staff having to provide links to things like cartoons, cycling blogs or the science page, yet failing to appreciate this is an obvious design flaw
- Ah, and now I've spotted refitman pointing out the "sport/football" thing I mentioned earlier, and the fact you even have to be shown how to get to "politics"
- Staff referring to earlier feedback and claiming to have listened!
- Comment section pointlessly renamed "opinion", even though CiF is surely one of the most recognisable identities on the web
Any remaining vestige I might have had for the Graun has now disappeared with the full beta conversion. I've been reading the user comments as linked above and I think it's safe to say that the new version has been about as well received as Windows ME.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Apple now sitting on a cash pile of $142bn. That's a big chunk to the government if it ever makes it onshore (not including Delaware).
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Beast on form [youtube]ZjxEC4Uvn7c[/youtube]
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Somebody in the Beta feedback thread posted a comment with this link: http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian

I find this a preferable layout in comparison with the full Beta - have bookmarked it. So I hope it stays as an alternative. It still doesn't have the same headings etc as the old structure ... but easier to get round.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:Somebody in the Beta feedback thread posted a comment with this link: http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian

I find this a preferable layout in comparison with the full Beta - have bookmarked it. So I hope it stays as an alternative. It still doesn't have the same headings etc as the old structure ... but easier to get round.
That is actually the paper edition of the Graun online - I noticed myself it hadn't been Beta-ised earlier, though I suspect it is only a matter of time :(

Also significant because you can still access old style user profiles (your own and, indirectly, others) at the top.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Gemma Doyle ‏@GemmaWDMP 37m37 minutes ago
Absolutely disgusted by @Dafydd_Wigley comparison of jobs at Faslane to Auschwitz. He should make a direct apology to the workforce
I see a torrid time looming for the people of Pembrokeshire if this is how the 'debate' is going to go ....
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Nice interview with Dennis. The interviewer very nearly lost his testicles in the last few minutes.

[youtube]8rzHKABhsJ8[/youtube]
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Somebody in the Beta feedback thread posted a comment with this link: http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian

That is actually the paper edition of the Graun online - I noticed myself it hadn't been Beta-ised earlier, though I suspect it is only a matter of time :(

Also significant because you can still access old style user profiles (your own and, indirectly, others) at the top.
That's pretty small beer compared to the damage inflicted as a whole. It's simply fucking horrible. I don't have a scooby where Politics now lives, or how to find the daily thread. So that's one reader less then.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Toby Latimer wrote:Beast on form [youtube]ZjxEC4Uvn7c[/youtube]
He's retiring isn't he? We're going to miss him...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Toby Latimer wrote:Osborne was allegedly dropped on his head "several times" by the lovely upper class inbreds he was at public school with, if true he could be high risk for Cerebral aneurysm which could be affecting his balance and co-ordination, or neuropathic problems of the core stability which is causing him to sway and ability to concentrate.

On the other hand

It's in Osborne's best interests to go some place where he can get the help he needs. He doesn't have to suffer. As important as his own well-being is to me, it can't be underestimated how everyone in the country, nay, the world, will benefit from his undergoing treatment too.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Toby Latimer wrote:
yahyah wrote:You are to be commended Toby for bothering to navigate your way around the appalling new Guardian site.
It is dreadful to get around right now, it may be that we get used to older things, it is second nature when they become a habit. I don't like how the things I read are now buried. For now I've stored the links to the Politics & Society sections main pages in the browser 'favorites' I might persevere with it, but I don't post there a fraction of what I once did, just seems like change for the sake of it. I can't really see what they have gained.
A different demographic.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Nick Robinson has always been a snitch. Even at playgroup he was known as a slippery grass
1907940_10203387472075532_1378812175024481812_n.jpg
1907940_10203387472075532_1378812175024481812_n.jpg (66.17 KiB) Viewed 9576 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Nice reminder of the cynical campaign v perfectly sensible rationalizations in the NHS pre-2010.

Sounds like Cameron couldn't even admit one A&E he promised to save was closed.

Prime Ministerial.
Dave is flat out lying on floor of the House of Commons.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

seeingclearly wrote:
Toby Latimer wrote:
A different demographic.
It's not conducive to critical thinking. It's like being stuck in an ad.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:
Skinner actually has "no plans" to retire and has been selected to stand again in Bolsover this May :)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:
He has told his constituency officials that he intends to stand for re-election in May. :dance:

Edit - Snap AK!!!
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

This little Lord Snooty on his knee was one of Slippery Grass Robinsons 'Goon Squad' going around kicking all the poor, sick & disabled kids after taking all their meagre pocket money away.

He later became Lord Ronseal of Fishpointer cum Cobra in Hamface
article-1275912-09811CA8000005DC-60_468x469.jpg
article-1275912-09811CA8000005DC-60_468x469.jpg (86.74 KiB) Viewed 9559 times
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

citizenJA wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
Toby Latimer wrote: It is dreadful to get around right now, it may be that we get used to older things, it is second nature when they become a habit. I don't like how the things I read are now buried. For now I've stored the links to the Politics & Society sections main pages in the browser 'favorites' I might persevere with it, but I don't post there a fraction of what I once did, just seems like change for the sake of it. I can't really see what they have gained.
A different demographic.
It's not conducive to critical thinking. It's like being stuck in an ad.
Most amusing post of the thread originally linked was the "great, smashing, super" comment from one poster, only for another poster to pounce on it and unmask him as one of the Graun's developers! Pretty risible form the Graun.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Toby Latimer wrote:Nice interview with Dennis. The interviewer very nearly lost his testicles in the last few minutes.

[youtube]8rzHKABhsJ8[/youtube]

Really good. I must get his book.

Edited to add: I didn't know the Graun staff got a vote and the winning party was then endorsed by the paper.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Was only listening with half an ear to Money Box on Radio 4, about the new flagship Coalition flat rate state pension.

A pension expert said he had been told by the DWP this morning that 75% of those retiring in the first 20 years of the new pension scheme will have been contracted out for part of their work life and therefore will receive less than the full flat rate.

This is likely to prove a political liability some time down the line.

One man [he must be due to retire within five years as the DWP are not forecasting the new flat rate pension for people if they are retiring later than that.] said his forecast based on the current system was just over £113 a week but only just over £33 a week under the new flat rate scheme because of his contracting out !

Hopefully the media will cotton on and if the Coalition parties try and make hay about it in the next three months someone will point out most of us will be well dead before many people actually get the full amount.

My husband's just had his paperwork as he is claiming his state pension in April.
They have given him a figure of £65 a week that shows much he has lost from his basic pension & SERPS extra pension weekly sum [or whatever it's called now] because of his contracting out.

What was interesting is when he spoke to HMRC who send you the contracted out figure statement
the man there said many people are finding that their private pensions are not paying out as much as they are losing from their state pension.

Edited to add: the £65 is his deduction, thankfully not his total state pension.
Last edited by yahyah on Wed 28 Jan, 2015 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
He has told his constituency officials that he intends to stand for re-election in May. :dance:

Edit - Snap AK!!!
Just caught that on the Interview Toby posted...Great news.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Was only listening with half an ear to Money Box on Radio 4, about the new flagship Coalition flat rate state pension.

A pension expert said he had been told by the DWP this morning that 75% of those retiring in the first 20 years of the new pension scheme will have been contracted out for part of their work life and therefore will receive less than the full flat rate.

This is likely to prove a political liability some time down the line.

One man [he must be due to retire within five years as the DWP are not forecasting the new flat rate pension for people if they are retiring later than that.] said his forecast based on the current system was just over £113 a week but only just over £33 a week under the new flat rate scheme because of his contracting out !

Hopefully the media will cotton on and if the Coalition parties try and make hay about it in the next three months someone will point out most of us will be well dead before many people actually get the full amount.

My husband's just had his paperwork as he is claiming his state pension in April.
They have given him a figure of £65 a week that shows much he has lost from his basic pension & SERPS extra pension weekly sum [or whatever it's called now] because of his contracting out.

What was interesting is when he spoke to HMRC who send you the contracted out figure statement
the man there said many people are finding that their private pensions are not paying out as much as they are losing from their state pension.
Oh my god. Awful news. Do people understand the implications of this? Do people understand what's happening?