Wednesday 28th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 28th January 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Was only listening with half an ear to Money Box on Radio 4, about the new flagship Coalition flat rate state pension.

A pension expert said he had been told by the DWP this morning that 75% of those retiring in the first 20 years of the new pension scheme will have been contracted out for part of their work life and therefore will receive less than the full flat rate.

This is likely to prove a political liability some time down the line.

One man [he must be due to retire within five years as the DWP are not forecasting the new flat rate pension for people if they are retiring later than that.] said his forecast based on the current system was just over £113 a week but only just over £33 a week under the new flat rate scheme because of his contracting out !

Hopefully the media will cotton on and if the Coalition parties try and make hay about it in the next three months someone will point out most of us will be well dead before many people actually get the full amount.

My husband's just had his paperwork as he is claiming his state pension in April.
They have given him a figure of £65 a week that shows much he has lost from his basic pension & SERPS extra pension weekly sum [or whatever it's called now] because of his contracting out.

What was interesting is when he spoke to HMRC who send you the contracted out figure statement
the man there said many people are finding that their private pensions are not paying out as much as they are losing from their state pension.
I wondered if you were listening yahyah - or even going to ring in. I am still mystified by the transitional arrangements - not sure if what I have received as a statement from HMRC is worth the paper it's written on TBH. I've no idea - because it's so basic - whether I'm going to get the equivalent to what I would have received under the old system or less ... it's just not clear. I think I'm going to trot into Age UK's office in Cardigan some time soon and see their new 'financial consultant' to get a bit of advice. How times have changed ... charities now needing to employ qualified financial services bods to try to decipher what should be straightforward - and he's full time.
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland’s first minister, has said that she will personally take charge of any coalition talks about the general election. At a briefing at Westminster she said she would lead the talks, even though she is not and won’t be an MP, and that Alex Salmond, the former leader who is standing for election, would “have a part to play”. Previously Salmond has suggested that he would be the lead figure in these talks.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... f06d866794
:popcorn:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The Institute for Fiscal Studies has produced a briefing note on the coalition’s welfare reforms saying, even after the end of the next parliament, universal credit still will not be fully implemented.
The introduction of universal credit - the replacement of a raft of means-tested benefits and tax credits with a new universal credit (UC) – is years behind schedule. By now, all new claims were meant to be for UC and the transfer of existing benefit claimants to UC was meant to be well under way. Instead, problems with project management and IT systems mean it is available to only some new claimants in a few parts of the country. Wider roll out is expected in the near future, but UC will still not be fully rolled out in April 2020. Implementing the coalition government’s flagship welfare reform will therefore fall largely to the next government and the government after that (if they choose to stick with it).
Same URL as above.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

citizenJA wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
Toby Latimer wrote: It is dreadful to get around right now, it may be that we get used to older things, it is second nature when they become a habit. I don't like how the things I read are now buried. For now I've stored the links to the Politics & Society sections main pages in the browser 'favorites' I might persevere with it, but I don't post there a fraction of what I once did, just seems like change for the sake of it. I can't really see what they have gained.
A different demographic.
It's not conducive to critical thinking. It's like being stuck in an ad.
The demographic it is seeking is more interested in ads than critical thinking. If I type guardian into my browser it sends me to some guardian holiday ad. I am not amused by this. And my critical thinking rapidly deteriorates.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Top story on the BBC website.

Care spending 'cut by fifth in 10 years' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31015807" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Watching me and David Cameron shout at each other once a week on prime minister’s questions isn’t very enlightening for anybody, let’s be frank about it. It probably massively puts people off politics if they’re watching it because they think, ‘It’s two blokes shouting at each other, what’s that got to do with my life?’

Someone in my office was telling me I’ve done like 120-something prime minister’s questions in the last four years. That’s sort of 120 times, a long time, that I’m not going to get back in terms of my life.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Re the Guardian. I followed a link posted on Twitter so wouldn't know how to get there otherwise, but have to admit, I like the bullet points and brief summaries...
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Polly Toynbee ‏@pollytoynbee 21s22 seconds ago
Come and debate our book Cameron's Coup with Steve Richards. Join us at Guardian Live event, Monday Feb 2 Conway Hall
http://bit.ly/1v3JC4n" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

I'm sure I called it a "coup" before Polly did ;-)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

For any questions about the NHS, it's invariably: 'Look it's a squirrel Wales.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I have to confess I get very confused about pensions.
I have a statement forecast which tells me that I have a full NI record, and that I will get the full state pension when I am 68 with an extra £9 a week (at current rate). I have two very small public sector pensions which pay, together, about £50 a week.
I am assuming that the information I have in writing is correct.
Having expected to get this pension at 60, I now have to wait 8 years for it. I appreciate that the split between men and women was unfair before (especially as women tend to live longer) but women have been hardest hit by the changes.

Whatever.

News from Maximus.
A contract has been agreed for Maximus to buy disability equality training from DRUK.
Disability Rights UK has decided to this for various reasons as set out on it's website, and insists it will still be vocal about the need for change in the WCA. It says it has not signed any gagging clause.
There is an article about this on Benefits and Work, which is not too complimentary and is scathing of another initiative DRUK are involved with which appears to be involvement with private insurance.

DRUK has some clout with government, and works with many charities and groups, although some in the disabled community don't like them much. It appears to me that Maximus are determined to get critics/potential critics safely on board, this has the same sort of ring to it as the appointment of Sue Marsh - a nice little earner for someone who is placed to make Maximus seem different while the cruelty and inappropriateness of the WCA remains exactly the same.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Margaret Hodge MP ‏@margarethodge 17m17 minutes ago
Charity commission tells us seriously considering privatisation of commission to be mainly funded by charities themselves! Scary idea
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just found Rowson's Cartoon. It's much bigger, I can actually see all the detail. That's an improvement.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:For any questions about the NHS, it's invariably: 'Look it's a squirrel Wales.

Will have to suggest Cameron subscribes to my local paper.

Every week they print letters from grateful locals and tourists thanking the local NHS for the treatment they received at the hands of the Welsh Commmie NHS Death Machine.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Dan Byles MP been doing the "Labour seem to be talking to Sinn Fein" lark.

I pointed out that Sinn Fein don't take seats. He said "but did Labour approach them?"

Interesting outrage. Labour not supposed to "approach" Sinn Fein but SDLP and Unionists supposed to work with Sinn Fein in government.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ephemerid wrote:I have to confess I get very confused about pensions.
I have a statement forecast which tells me that I have a full NI record, and that I will get the full state pension when I am 68 with an extra £9 a week (at current rate). I have two very small public sector pensions which pay, together, about £50 a week.
Having expected to get this pension at 60, I now have to wait 8 years for it. I appreciate that the split between men and women was unfair before (especially as women tend to live longer) but women have been hardest hit by the changes.

Whatever.

News from Maximus.
A contract has been agreed for Maximus to buy disability equality training from DRUK.
Disability Rights UK has decided to this for various reasons as set out on it's website, and insists it will still be vocal about the need for change in the WCA. It says it has not signed any gagging clause.
There is an article about this on Benefits and Work, which is not too complimentary and is scathing of another initiative DRUK are involved with which appears to be involvement with private insurance.

DRUK has some clout with government, and works with many charities and groups, although some in the disabled community don't like them much. It appears to me that Maximus are determined to get critics/potential critics safely on board, this has the same sort of ring to it as the appointment of Sue Marsh - a nice little earner for someone who is placed to make Maximus seem different while the cruelty and inappropriateness of the WCA remains exactly the same.

I think you are the same age as me Ephie [I'm 59 in April] and I'm getting my state pension at 66.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Oh, hang on, I think I've spotted a Tory longtermeconomicplan...is this something we need?
Is this a good longtermeconomicplan?
Long term economic plan for the south-west
George Osborne MP Speech given at National Marine Aquarium
27 Jan 2015

"Our goal is to sustain over 100,000 defence-related jobs in the region....new project to invest over £900m in Salisbury Plain to create new accommodation and infrastructure for the Army in its largest base in the UK. A major investment in our armed services...

...I’m delighted that today A&P Engineering in Falmouth have been awarded a significant contract to install high-end military capabilities in our new tankers so that they ready for operations by the Royal Fleet Auxiliary. But there’s a new frontier in defence - and the south-west is ideally placed to lead its development. That frontier is cyber.

We want to develop an arc of cyber excellence – from our GCHQ intelligence headquarters at Cheltenham, through Bristol and Bath to Exeter - with the aim of making the south-west a world leader in Cyber Security services – an industry that is already worth over £6bn, and that is forecast to grow at more than 20% each year.
I can tell you today that GCHQ are investing £3 billion over 9 years into developing the next stage of national cyber intelligence.

The money is there, and we’re waiting to hear your ideas."

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... south-west
Wait. 'The money is there'? I thought Labour spent it all? Why aren't people getting social care in their communities, please? Why are devastating cuts being made throughout the UK causing local authorities to cut essential services? But money is there for cyber surveillance? Please explain, Jeffery!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ephemerid wrote:I have to confess I get very confused about pensions.

Whatever.

News from Maximus.

Maximus certainly seem to be acting more cleverly than Atos in terms of their advance tactics and PR ... whether that's a good thing or not is very very open to question. Agree with you re what they are doing re getting critics/potential critics on board ... If it all turns out to be the same old horror show - or worse - who is going to be there to speak out and fight the fight?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Well well.

Dan Byles replied. I ask him about the poster and about Sinn Fein being in government.

He fucks off.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

ohsocynical wrote:For any questions about the NHS, it's invariably: 'Look it's a squirrel Wales.
To which the reply is the Government have cut the devolved budget to Wales by 10% in real terms over 2010-15.

They will say "but in England we protected in the NHS".

To which the reply is, yes but you were able to cut other major Departments of State like Defence that are not options open to the Welsh Assembly, which only really has Local Councils & Community, Education and Economy/Science/Transport as significant other budget headings to cut, all of which have also been cut by 10% in real terms of course.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

ohsocynical wrote:
Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland’s first minister, has said that she will personally take charge of any coalition talks about the general election. At a briefing at Westminster she said she would lead the talks, even though she is not and won’t be an MP, and that Alex Salmond, the former leader who is standing for election, would “have a part to play”. Previously Salmond has suggested that he would be the lead figure in these talks.

:popcorn:
I'm getting a Putin/Medvedev feeling to the leadership of the SNP.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Lucky for Scotland the SNP won in 2011.

Would have got hammered like Wales if Labour won.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

To be fair the Tories do have a long term economic plan. It's shit.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

StephenDolan wrote:Top story on the BBC website.

Care spending 'cut by fifth in 10 years' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31015807" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why is the headline 10 years when the graph clearly shows that spending went up in the first four years of that period and only went down slightly during the recession? It clearly shows the vast bulk of the reduction occuring since 2010.

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Decent article by John Harris looking at the business interests of Messrs Milburn and Hutton.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... new-labour

No wonder Miliband wants distance from ex-Blairites on the NHS

Predictably Spinning Hugo (who hasn't yet been banned in this latest incarnation) has had two goes at it already.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Byles came back. No answer about Sinn Fein being OK for government in part of British Isles, but can't be "approached" by Labour.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 2 mins2 minutes ago
BBC Wales/ICM poll - Westminster voting intention - LAB 38%, CON 21%, UKIP 13%, Plaid Cymru 12%, LD 7%, GRN 6%
0 replies . 2 retweets 0 favourites
Reply Retweet2 Favourite
More
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ohsocynical wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 2 mins2 minutes ago
BBC Wales/ICM poll - Westminster voting intention - LAB 38%, CON 21%, UKIP 13%, Plaid Cymru 12%, LD 7%, GRN 6%
Reply Retweet2 Favourite
More
That Labour figure's up from the last poll, I note. 40% may be attainable.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Reply Retweet2 Favourite
More

BBC say Labour could gain two Welsh seats on that, Cardiff North & Cardiff Central.

Changes from the last poll in September:
Welsh Labour unchanged
Conservatives down 2 %
UKIP down 1%
Plaid Cymru down 1%
Lib Dems unchanged
Greens up 2%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-31018241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
Reply Retweet2 Favourite
More

BBC say Labour could gain two Welsh seats on that, Cardiff North & Cardiff Central.

Welsh Labour unchanged
Conservatives down 2 %
UKIP down 1%
Plaid Cymru down 1%
Lib Dems unchanged
Greens up 2%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-31018241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can't see Plaid going anywhere but further down if Wigley keeps coming out with stuff like that ...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

YAY - the Devon beavers can stay on the River Otter. :D

(Feel free to snigger - you know who you are - we are talking about actual beavers this time ....).

I hope Paterson is squirming - he was all set to get rid of them.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Evenin' all :)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:YAY - the Devon beavers can stay on the River Otter. :D

(Feel free to snigger - you know who you are - we are talking about actual beavers this time ....).

I hope Paterson is squirming - he was all set to get rid of them.
[youtube]wS3LWOTCW4A[/youtube]
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
To which the reply is the Government have cut the devolved budget to Wales by 10% in real terms over 2010-15.

They will say "but in England we protected in the NHS".

To which the reply is, yes but you were able to cut other major Departments of State like Defence that are not options open to the Welsh Assembly, which only really has Local Councils & Community, Education and Economy/Science/Transport as significant other budget headings to cut, all of which have also been cut by 10% in real terms of course.
That is indeed the devastatingly correct reply PfY.(I can't help thinking of that PY bloke from France who took over the running of the ill fated Millenium Dome Exhibition when I type PfY. But I'm sort of hoping you aren't much like him ...)

Add to that incredible challenges / screaming difficulties in recruiting staff to come and work here - especially in the most rural areas because it is not seen as being a route to greater things - no major specialist centres etc - for younger people and you start to have immense respect for how they are managing to provide what they are despite such resource problems.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
Reply Retweet2 Favourite
More
That Labour figure's up from the last poll, I note. 40% may be attainable.
Beeb say it's unchanged from September.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
yahyah wrote:
Reply Retweet2 Favourite
More

Welsh Labour unchanged
Conservatives down 2 %
UKIP down 1%
Plaid Cymru down 1%
Lib Dems unchanged
Greens up 2%

I can't see Plaid going anywhere but further down if Wigley keeps coming out with stuff like that ...

I voted Plaid in the council elections here last time as there was no Labour candidate.
They can go whistle for my vote next time around if they are telling people to vote Green in England.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Some interesting questions for gorgeous George :)

https://twitter.com/hashtag/askgalloway?f=realtime" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Where can I find the guy who punched you in the jaw last year? I want to buy him a round"

"Can you name three streets in Bradford?"

"If you block so many people, how can you expect to see the all the questions? "

"Are you still putting on that fake middle Eastern accent?"

"how many angels can you get on the head of a pin?"
ScreenShot00118.jpg
ScreenShot00118.jpg (39.33 KiB) Viewed 9310 times
Last edited by Toby Latimer on Wed 28 Jan, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Plaid really aren't going to get an audience from Welsh expats.

There is a reason the SNP excluded Scots living in England.

My test for the Greens is are they going to stand in Cleggs seat, because doing so massively increases his chance of survival and by extension a Tory government. If Clegg goes it will be fatal for Cameron.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
yahyah wrote:

Welsh Labour unchanged
Conservatives down 2 %
UKIP down 1%
Plaid Cymru down 1%
Lib Dems unchanged
Greens up 2%

I voted Plaid in the council elections here last time as there was no Labour candidate.
They can go whistle for my vote next time around if they are telling people to vote Green in England.
He's a liability for them (PC) - has had a habit of coming out with stuff that is distinctly unhelpful and not necessarily in line with what Plaid may be currently saying they stand for.

He's managed to raise several sets of hackles this time around.

Comparing Trident jobs with Auschwitz ... He seems not to know that Pembrokeshire County Council has declared itself a nuclear free zone and there would be hell to pay from both local politicians and Welsh Assembly if this ever really got muted for Pembs.

Vote Green if you are Welsh and living in England. How arrogant can you get?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

BBC rejects demands by the Democratic Unionist Party to be included in election debates

Ere we go again. DUP taking legal advice - and so is Sinn Fein.

Ball is back in Ducking Dave/s court.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:BBC rejects demands by the Democratic Unionist Party to be included in election debates

I can't see how they can get in. They only stand in NI, and none of the major UK parties stand in NI. Far better, shirley, for the NI parties to have their own debates, shown only in NI?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:BBC rejects demands by the Democratic Unionist Party to be included in election debates

I don't really see it, the DUP and SDLP et al have no relevance to anywhere other than NI. They don't even discuss the same issues and neither the Tory Party, Labour Party or the Zombies stand in NI.

The lawyers will tell them no chance.

The ball isn't in Dave's court other than to decide if he wants to be present when the debates happen.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

I don't really see it, the DUP and SDLP et al have no relevance to anywhere other than NI. They don't even discuss the same issues and neither the Tory Party, Labour Party or the Zombies stand in NI.

The ball isn't in Dave's court other than to decide if he wants to be present when the debates happen.
That's what I meant ... is that concerted clucking I can hear?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: I can't see Plaid going anywhere but further down if Wigley keeps coming out with stuff like that ...

He's a liability for them (PC) - has had a habit of coming out with stuff that is distinctly unhelpful and not necessarily in line with what Plaid may be currently saying they stand for.

Comparing Trident jobs with Auschwitz ... He seems not to know that Pembrokeshire County Council has declared itself a nuclear free zone and there would be hell to pay from both local politicians and Welsh Assembly if this ever really got muted for Pembs.

I am sure they would happily accept the RN subs, think seriously well paying jobs and loads of cash.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
yahyah wrote:

I am sure they would happily accept the RN subs, think seriously well paying jobs and loads of cash.
They say not. But probably more importantly Trident relocation to Milford Haven - the only port deep enough - would likely be ruled out because of proximity to oil and gas installations.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

I thought, in theory at least, the Conservatives did stand in Northern Ireland, or at least had a presence? They've certainly claimed, in the past, to be the only Party that is truly nationwide. And the contempt shown by OGRFPG and others toward Sinn Fein is both telling and slightly worrying.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Some quotes about the new Guardian site:

...It's great to see user consumption driving content across multi platforms

...A key difference between our new beta site and the current Guardian site is the way we approach content curation and presentation.

...Guardian beta · Introducing responsive takeover

..."Elegance back into marketing": Guardian beta

...Without further ado, let’s have a look at our new responsive takeover, developed directly with our clients to meet the needs of increasingly mobile-based news consumption.

What a load of b****cks.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

Toby Latimer wrote:
yahyah wrote:You are to be commended Toby for bothering to navigate your way around the appalling new Guardian site.
It is dreadful to get around right now, it may be that we get used to older things, it is second nature when they become a habit. I don't like how the things I read are now buried. For now I've stored the links to the Politics & Society sections main pages in the browser 'favorites' I might persevere with it, but I don't post there a fraction of what I once did, just seems like change for the sake of it. I can't really see what they have gained.

It's more what they've lost - more of the older and more informed community, including us disabled. They've also lost clicks, from us, the people we tweet to and the links we share on various forums. They're obviously hoping to balance that out by attracting more mobile/tablet users.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

yahyah wrote:Some quotes about the new Guardian site:

...It's great to see user consumption driving content across multi platforms

...A key difference between our new beta site and the current Guardian site is the way we approach content curation and presentation.

...Guardian beta · Introducing responsive takeover

..."Elegance back into marketing": Guardian beta

...Without further ado, let’s have a look at our new responsive takeover, developed directly with our clients to meet the needs of increasingly mobile-based news consumption.

What a load of b****cks.
Almost as self-delusional as their favoured party.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Above are you suggesting Trident submarines can't be trusted to avoid tankers? Which I could well believe.

I don't see any other issue, there is oddly relatively little that is dangerous about a nuclear sub.
Release the Guardvarks.