Monday 8th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Monday 8th September 2014

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Yawns a bit.....

Morning everyone. Little sod has us up at 5 this morning. Very tired and irritable.

I hope everyone else's day is starting a little better than mine.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 8th September 2014

Post by yahyah »

Poor Ernst. The joys of fatherhood eh ?

This 'surge' [how real remains to be seen] for Yes seems just like Clegg-mania back in late April 2010.

The wild optimism, the anger at Tories & Labour, the yearning for something new.
I nearly fell for Lib Dem lunacy so maybe I should be compassionate to those who are now Salmondistas.

I've always liked Tea & Chocolate who posts on Cif, but her post this morning epitomises the madness some on the left seem to be suffering from.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

yahyah wrote:I've always liked Tea & Chocolate who posts on Cif, but her post this morning epitomises the madness some on the left seem to be suffering from.
I saw that. Doesn't trust Labour but does trust Salmond? Wow.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Poor Ernst. The joys of fatherhood eh ?

This 'surge' [how real remains to be seen] for Yes seems just like Clegg-mania back in late April 2010.

The wild optimism, the anger at Tories & Labour, the yearning for something new.
I nearly fell for Lib Dem lunacy so maybe I should be compassionate to those who are now Salmondistas.

I've always liked Tea & Chocolate who posts on Cif, but her post this morning epitomises the madness some on the left seem to be suffering from.
Morning yahyah and all.

Cameron set this up to be an all or nothing fight when his negotiations ruled out any devo max option from the vote. Well, be careful what you wish for - because that's what we've got now - all or nothing. I agree there is a sense of mania - a tide of Salmondism which isn't very appealing to many of us - but the disillusion and disgust with Westminster is very real and understandable and shared by many of us in rUK. That makes it very difficult to argue a positive case for the union at the present time. And it does seem daft (polite version) to only now start emphasising the additional powers on offer to Scotland after a No vote when so many people have already returned their postal votes.
Working on the wild side.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ErnstRemarx wrote:Yawns a bit.....

Morning everyone. Little sod has us up at 5 this morning. Very tired and irritable.

I hope everyone else's day is starting a little better than mine.
Morning Ernst, I can fully understand the irritability. I'm slurping the coffee this morning after our youngest kept getting up between 3.30 and 5.30. Takes me back to the zombie days after the night feeds.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nick Clegg ‏@nick_clegg 4m
On my way to launch the LD pre-manifesto this morning with policies designed to create a #StrongerEconomy and a #FairerSociety
Ooh, can't wait. 'Pre-manifesto' - that's telling us that these proposals have even less weight and commitment than their real manifesto I guess. So less than worthless then.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Good morning all, and belated thanks to Paul & refitman for setting up the new haven.
Not that I had any problems with the old one, as we don't do mobile tech, no reception at home.

Picked up this link from the other place.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/08/opini ... .html?_r=0

edited to give credit where it's due :oops:
Last edited by gilsey on Mon 08 Sep, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I see CIFers have been quick to pick up and pour scorn on John Humphry's inevitable introduction of the concept of a 'politics of envy' when he was 'interviewing' Frances O'Grady about the growing wage and living standards inequality that the TUC are rightly highlighting.

So real hardship and not being able to put enough food on the table or a secure roof over your head becomes 'envy' - just like not being able to find a job that provides enough pay to live on, or even guarantees any actual work or pay has become 'not having the right attitude to get a job'.

I like Frances O'Grady and how she puts the issues facing ordinary people across. We need to hear more of her.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I see CIFers have been quick to pick up and pour scorn on John Humphry's inevitable introduction of the concept of a 'politics of envy' when he was 'interviewing' Frances O'Grady about the growing wage and living standards inequality that the TUC are rightly highlighting.

So real hardship and not being able to put enough food on the table or a secure roof over your head becomes 'envy' - just like not being able to find a job that provides enough pay to live on, or even guarantees any actual work or pay has become 'not having the right attitude to get a job'.

I like Frances O'Grady and how she puts the issues facing ordinary people across. We need to hear more of her.
Agreed, she's excellent both in what the message she's trying to get across and (arguably more importantly) the language she uses. Oh to have the many underperforming shadows have these traits.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

gilsey wrote:Good morning all, and belated thanks to Paul & Ernst for setting up the new haven.
Not that I had any problems with the old one, as we don't do mobile tech, no reception at home.

Hello gilsey, nice to see you here.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jeremy Cliffe ‏@JeremyCliffe 14m
Remarkably prescient piece by @JackieAshley in '09 predicted Cam premiership wld take UK to brink of Brexit & Scoxit: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... m-scotland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Retweeted by Robin Brant
BritishMonarchy ‏@BritishMonarchy 2m
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are very pleased to announce that The Duchess of Cambridge is expecting their second child
Hah - I think AngryAsWell must have some special monarchy telepathic hotline going. Only last night she suggested that a visit by Him & Her to Scotland this week coupled with the announcement of a second baby on the way and that they are going to call it James (regardless of its sex) would do the No campaign a power of good!

Well - it looks like the fightback has started in earnest now!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I posted this last night
1) do I have second sight???
2) They should have gone to Scotland to announce it!

:lol!:
AngryAsWell wrote:

(Golf's still on - sorry)

Quote:

Don't let me be last Queen of Scotland: Monarch in talks with PM over UK break up

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ch-4181230

Best thing they can do is send Him, Her and The Baby George up there on walk abouts..
One better..
Send Him, Her and The Baby George up there on walk abouts AND announce in Edinburgh (or Glasgow, not fussy) that She's having another baby AND that it will be called James (even if it a girl)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 4m
Congrats to Duchess of Cambridge, pregnant with her second child. Perhaps she could announce in advance it will be called Hamish #indyref
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:I posted this last night
1) do I have second sight???
2) They should have gone to Scotland to announce it!

:lol!:
AngryAsWell wrote:

(Golf's still on - sorry)

Quote:

Don't let me be last Queen of Scotland: Monarch in talks with PM over UK break up

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ch-4181230

Best thing they can do is send Him, Her and The Baby George up there on walk abouts..
One better..
Send Him, Her and The Baby George up there on walk abouts AND announce in Edinburgh (or Glasgow, not fussy) that She's having another baby AND that it will be called James (even if it a girl)
:lol: :lol: :lol: I am deeply in awe of your 'gift' AAW - and have already credited you as our monarchy telepath in my post above ...

Now we just need William to become the air defence bit ... they won't need much cos they're a tough bunch.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Toby Young ‏@toadmeister 2m
Complete balls from Francis O'Gravy-Train about "Downton Britain". Gap between rich and poor has shrunk in past 4 yrs http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29103503" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Grrrrr - he's such an offensive twat. What kind of proper, grown up commentary is that? Something has obviously shrunk in Toby's world in the past 4 years - but it ain't the gap between rich and poor.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Nick Clegg ‏@nick_clegg 4m
On my way to launch the LD pre-manifesto this morning with policies designed to create a #StrongerEconomy and a #FairerSociety
Ooh, can't wait. 'Pre-manifesto' - that's telling us that these proposals have even less weight and commitment than their real manifesto I guess. So less than worthless then.

Morning all...quite sunny here in 'Hope' (just north of P'boro) :)

Political party manifestos...hmmm...are we being prepared for a time when we accept that they're just 'wishlists' (although, my personal belief(TM) is that they've always been apprentice bog roll) that are never put into action? Murkydochian new-babe Nigel has stated that their 2010 manifesto was 'drivel' - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -manifesto - the Yellow tories (and the real ones) pretty much wrote whatever they wanted into the coalition agreement...so a 'pre' manifesto? :toss:

...and I heard some of that (unfortunately) (edited to add - in response to the R4/Frances O'Grady comment) - I started to fume at the point they started asking questions about how a 'yes' vote would weaken the unions - wtf is the relationship there? Will an independent Scotland renege on worker representation? (Mind you - as a satellite state of Newcorpse, an independent Scotland would probably welcome such things!)...and if Uncle Rupert rates Salmond (who wants Scotland in Europe) and Farage (who wants Britain out of Europe (I assume including Scotland)) isn't that an inconsistent line? (One of many, I know :roll: )
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Retweeted by Robin Brant
BritishMonarchy ‏@BritishMonarchy 2m
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are very pleased to announce that The Duchess of Cambridge is expecting their second child
Hah - I think AngryAsWell must have some special monarchy telepathic hotline going. Only last night she suggested that a visit by Him & Her to Scotland this week coupled with the announcement of a second baby on the way and that they are going to call it James (regardless of its sex) would do the No campaign a power of good!

Well - it looks like the fightback has started in earnest now!
:lol!: :lol!:

Oh No! does this mean I'm on Baby watch again?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Got to go and plant some beans quickly (yes, I know it's very late - it's a greenhouse experiment. Such is my love for french beans I can't contemplate autumn without any.)

Back in a bit.

Let me know if it's going to be twins AAW, please.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Got to go and plant some beans quickly (yes, I know it's very late - it's a greenhouse experiment. Such is my love for french beans I can't contemplate autumn without any.)

Back in a bit.

Let me know if it's going to be twins AAW, please.
Tuning in.....
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

gilsey wrote:Good morning all, and belated thanks to Paul & Ernst for setting up the new haven.

Hi Gilsey

Great to see you here. For info, Refitman is the true genius behind the new forum ;-)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Early indications are that Wee Eck will suggest Kate Middleton is just bluffing.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Early indications are that Wee Eck will suggest Kate Middleton is just bluffing.
That was what was being tweeted in my post ^^

AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

pk1 wrote:

:lol!: :lol!:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
yahyah wrote:I've always liked Tea & Chocolate who posts on Cif, but her post this morning epitomises the madness some on the left seem to be suffering from.
She has been very anti-Labour for a while now, regrettably.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

pk1 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Early indications are that Wee Eck will suggest Kate Middleton is just bluffing.
That was what was being tweeted in my post ^^

:D Cue spooky 'Twiglet Zone' music and Gillian Anderson entering stage left ...
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Hello gilsey, nice to see you here.
I'm always here, appreciating everyone's efforts, but rarely login and comment. Should do better.

@Paul. Yes I know, realised as soon as I turned the laptop off. Had to go to the dentist. :roll:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Hi Gilsey

Great to see you here. For info, Refitman is the true genius behind the new forum ;-)
Absolutely - with him, this forum would simply not exist. Take a bow, Dan.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

You can bet your last quid if Scotland goes it will be Labour's fault, the murmurings have already started, here for example, it is also a fatalistic piece, rumours that Glasgow is going yes, Fife, Dundee also, once considered a safe unionist area. All conjecture at the moment, but I am finding it hard to believe it has come to this.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:You can bet your last quid if Scotland goes it will be Labour's fault, the murmurings have already started, here for example, it is also a fatalistic piece, rumours that Glasgow is going yes, Fife, Dundee also, once considered a safe unionist area. All conjecture at the moment, but I am finding it hard to believe it has come to this.

"Cameron has had a good campaign??!!??" WTF?????
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I see CIFers have been quick to pick up and pour scorn on John Humphry's inevitable introduction of the concept of a 'politics of envy' when he was 'interviewing' Frances O'Grady about the growing wage and living standards inequality that the TUC are rightly highlighting.

Ah the old chestnut "the politics of envy" .Of course the Government's modus operandi is based on this,targeted at those with less" but you're paying for it "
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

It's odd, isn't it?

Salmond is a politician like any other - they are all about expedience; the only real exception to this so far (in my humble opinion) is Miliband and I really hope he doesn't let me down. Sadly, I suspect he will at some point.....or maybe my disgust at what passes for political discourse in the UK at present has made me very cynical.....

Part of the reason I support the Yes campaign is because I want to see a real shake-up of the status-quo. This business over Scottish independence has galvanised people into really engaging with politics; it's not about Salmond, it's about how a country sees itself and how it wants to govern itself in the future.
Whilst I appreciate that some people have gone a bit too far in terms of nationalism (and in some cases unpleasantly so) I really think that this vote is not only important for Scotland but is important for the rest of us in the UK too. Even if more autonomy and proportional representation means that things may not necessarily go the way I'd like them to, it's better in my view to have a truly representative assembly than what we have now, and if it takes the Scots to show us how, so be it.

Nye Bevan was prescient when he said that his hatred of the Tories would not succumb to "cajolery" or "attempts at ethical or social seduction" - which is exactly what Osborne was doing yesterday. They have learned nothing from history and they are learning nothing from what's happening now.
I would support the Union if I felt this country really was united; it isn't, and the cesspit that is Westminster is to blame. I do not believe that keeping things as they are, and hoping that change will come via the rigged ballot box, will effect the change we need in this country.
Scotland is engaged in an experiment that may well fail, but I admire the courage and persistence that has got them to this point, and I wish we had enough of either south of the border to really challenge the way things are run. I continue to campaign for Labour and I'll soldier on - but I'm under no illusions that things will change much if Labour win next time unless the grass-roots are able to force the leadership to move further left.

I agree that some people are getting very carried away though - T&C is just one of them, and I think we'll see more of it.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA wrote:

Ah the old chestnut "the politics of envy" .Of course the Government's modus operandi is based on this,targeted at those with less" but you're paying for it "

We have a brand new Tory politics of envy - have a job and a home, and envy those who have neither. It's the Tory way.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ephemerid wrote:
HindleA wrote:

We have a brand new Tory politics of envy - have a job and a home, and envy those who have neither. It's the Tory way.
That is spot on Ephemerid - and also unbelievable, or it should be but sadly isn't.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good afternoon.

Well. Wonderful news. And as some intrepid reporter on BBC News24 sycophantically observed, as the camera panned across the vast expanse of the refurbished Kensington Palace, "there'll be plenty of room for the new baby". Right. I'm forced now to actually say it. You couldn't make it up.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ephemerid wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: I saw that. Doesn't trust Labour but does trust Salmond? Wow.

It's odd, isn't it?

Salmond is a politician like any other - they are all about expedience; the only real exception to this so far (in my humble opinion) is Miliband and I really hope he doesn't let me down. Sadly, I suspect he will at some point.....or maybe my disgust at what passes for political discourse in the UK at present has made me very cynical.....

Part of the reason I support the Yes campaign is because I want to see a real shake-up of the status-quo. This business over Scottish independence has galvanised people into really engaging with politics; it's not about Salmond, it's about how a country sees itself and how it wants to govern itself in the future.
Whilst I appreciate that some people have gone a bit too far in terms of nationalism (and in some cases unpleasantly so) I really think that this vote is not only important for Scotland but is important for the rest of us in the UK too. Even if more autonomy and proportional representation means that things may not necessarily go the way I'd like them to, it's better in my view to have a truly representative assembly than what we have now, and if it takes the Scots to show us how, so be it.

Nye Bevan was prescient when he said that his hatred of the Tories would not succumb to "cajolery" or "attempts at ethical or social seduction" - which is exactly what Osborne was doing yesterday. They have learned nothing from history and they are learning nothing from what's happening now.
I would support the Union if I felt this country really was united; it isn't, and the cesspit that is Westminster is to blame. I do not believe that keeping things as they are, and hoping that change will come via the rigged ballot box, will effect the change we need in this country.
Scotland is engaged in an experiment that may well fail, but I admire the courage and persistence that has got them to this point, and I wish we had enough of either south of the border to really challenge the way things are run. I continue to campaign for Labour and I'll soldier on - but I'm under no illusions that things will change much if Labour win next time unless the grass-roots are able to force the leadership to move further left.

I agree that some people are getting very carried away though - T&C is just one of them, and I think we'll see more of it.
Sorry but I just see this scenario as the road to total chaos. This country is only so disunited because of Crosby and his divide and rule politics. Pre-Crosby we knew the direction of travel we were taking and I don't see why - post Crosby - we cannot get back on track.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:
ephemerid wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: She has been very anti-Labour for a while now, regrettably.

It's odd, isn't it?

Sorry but I just see this scenario as the road to total chaos. This country is only so disunited because of Crosby and his divide and rule politics. Pre-Crosby we knew the direction of travel we were taking and I don't see why - post Crosby - we cannot get back on track.
Labour is already looking to devolve more powers (and money) to cities and towns - and that's a big start to more locally based politics.
Labour leader Ed Miliband has promised to devolve £30bn of spending to the English regions to boost economic growth outside London
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28098586" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

The old bastard has been busy on twitter this morning, offering opinions on the referendum, Rotherham and Gove, stirring come naturally to him, and if Brillo Head is to believed the Sun could come out this weekend in favour, if I was Scottish and a waverer that would seal it for me.

ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Sorry but I just see this scenario as the road to total chaos. This country is only so disunited because of Crosby and his divide and rule politics. Pre-Crosby we knew the direction of travel we were taking and I don't see why - post Crosby - we cannot get back on track.[/quote]

Labour is already looking to devolve more powers (and money) to cities and towns - and that's a big start to more locally based politics.
Labour leader Ed Miliband has promised to devolve £30bn of spending to the English regions to boost economic growth outside London
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28098586" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

I think we'll have to agree to disagree, there, AAW.

I don't think there was any direction of travel at all - well, I couldn't see any.....I'd be grate ful to know what you think it was.

I have no idea what a Labour win last time would have delivered; the LibDems offered some hope but have been worse than useless; the Tories didn't need Crosby to do what they're doing, as the health and social security reforms were in the planning for years despite all the lies Cameron told before the election.

£30BN is not an awful lot of money, but it's a start, I agree. It will be interesting to see what the plans are on how it would be spent.
There's no question in my mind that the billions hoovered up by our capital should be better distributed.

I'm aware that very few people on this forum are pro-Scottish independence. I feel a bit wary of posting my views here on the subject as a result - but I certainly don't think my wish for real change in our politics is all that unusual.
We've heard many times over the years how various elections/parties will change things and of course it hasn't really happened on a wider scale - Labour did some good things in their 13 years, but they could and should have done a lot more.

I think Miliband can and will be better - but I am impatient. People in my position do not have much to be optimistic about.
It's not easy being sick and trying to survive on benefit (especially when the DWP doesn't actually pay it) and I have been sickened by IDS & Co and very disappointed in Byrne and Reeves. I appreciate there's more to good governance than my pet things like the NHS and social security, and though I like what I'm hearing from Burnham, I expect better from Labour on jobs/benefits etc.

This country has become an unpleasant place in many ways. Yes, a lot of it is down to the vile divide-and-rule propaganda emanating from our current government; but that sort of thing often stokes up existing prejudice and there are a lot of people out there who resent people like me for something I can do nothing about. That scares me.

Perhaps I'll keep my views to myself. It seems to me that the the independence debate has led to some tribalism south of the border too, and it does nobody any credit, does it?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

"I'm aware that very few people on this forum are pro-Scottish independence. I feel a bit wary of posting my views here on the subject as a result - but I certainly don't think my wish for real change in our politics is all that unusual."

Your posts and views are always very welcome, so don't you dare tone it down. My anti-independence stance is based almost purely around the economics of the thing, rather than the principle. I certainly understand that for many Scots this is the only chance they'll get to rid themselves of perpetual Tory rule and the sort of nonsense that New Labour come out with all too often. It's quite true that the Westminster government has had a long time to do good in Scotland, and that Scots have had a rough time over the years. It's also true that pretty well everywhere else in the UK has also been on the shitty end of the stick for a long time, but the English regions aren't being presented with a one off chance to get out.

The problem with the no more Tories argument, is that it presumes that rule from Scotland won't be venal and corrupt, and that a right wing government can never occur in Scotland. The biggest problem though is the economics of the situation and jam tomorrow argument simply doesn't look at the facts head on.

I hope that Scotland stays in the UK - but I will understand if the people of Scotland vote to go, and will wish them good luck; I suspect that they'll need it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

DailySunday Politics ‏@daily_politics 4m
VIDEO Lib Dem general election plans 'considerably less expensive' than 2010 David Laws tells @Jo_Coburn on #bbcdp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29111575" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Cut price policies now. Are they trying to rebrand themselves as the Aldi amongst political parties? Still not buying it or them.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:"I'm aware that very few people on this forum are pro-Scottish independence. I feel a bit wary of posting my views here on the subject as a result - but I certainly don't think my wish for real change in our politics is all that unusual."

Your posts and views are always very welcome, so don't you dare tone it down. My anti-independence stance is based almost purely around the economics of the thing, rather than the principle. I certainly understand that for many Scots this is the only chance they'll get to rid themselves of perpetual Tory rule and the sort of nonsense that New Labour come out with all too often. It's quite true that the Westminster government has had a long time to do good in Scotland, and that Scots have had a rough time over the years. It's also true that pretty well everywhere else in the UK has also been on the shitty end of the stick for a long time, but the English regions aren't being presented with a one off chance to get out.

The problem with the no more Tories argument, is that it presumes that rule from Scotland won't be venal and corrupt, and that a right wing government can never occur in Scotland. The biggest problem though is the economics of the situation and jam tomorrow argument simply doesn't look at the facts head on.

I hope that Scotland stays in the UK - but I will understand if the people of Scotland vote to go, and will wish them good luck; I suspect that they'll need it.
That more or less describes where I am on this too, Ernst. Except that I think I'm probably basing my desire for Scotland to stay in the union more on heart and soul stuff than the economics. But I too will totally understand why Scotland may choose to go it alone ... for anyone and anywhere not part of the charmed Establishment / Westminster circle - it's been bloody attrition for a long time and very little hope.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

IEA ‏@iealondon 2m
Tenants face high rents & restricted choice if tenancy rent controls are introduced in the UK. http://www.iea.org.uk/in-the-media/pres ... affordable" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … pic.twitter.com/xDtS4iy3io
Isn't that exactly what tenants face now?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:"I'm aware that very few people on this forum are pro-Scottish independence. I feel a bit wary of posting my views here on the subject as a result - but I certainly don't think my wish for real change in our politics is all that unusual."

That more or less describes where I am on this too, Ernst. Except that I think I'm probably basing my desire for Scotland to stay in the union more on heart and soul stuff than the economics. But I too will totally understand why Scotland may choose to go it alone ... for anyone and anywhere not part of the charmed Establishment / Westminster circle - it's been bloody attrition for a long time and very little hope.
All valid, but the devil will be in every detail of independence, and to ignore or skate over little inconveniences - like the ramifications of using the pound but not being in fiscal union - is a bit like crossing the M6 on a busy day wearing a blindfold: you might make it to the other side if you're very lucky, but it would be a foolish person who'd believe that that could end well.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ErnstRemarx wrote: All valid, but the devil will be in every detail of independence, and to ignore or skate over little inconveniences - like the ramifications of using the pound but not being in fiscal union - is a bit like crossing the M6 on a busy day wearing a blindfold: you might make it to the other side if you're very lucky, but it would be a foolish person who'd believe that that could end well.
As I recall it didn't end too well for the Irish Republic. As much as people try to tell me this is a whole different ballgame I can't see the difference.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
DailySunday Politics ‏@daily_politics 4m
VIDEO Lib Dem general election plans 'considerably less expensive' than 2010 David Laws tells @Jo_Coburn on #bbcdp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29111575" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Cut price policies now. Are they trying to rebrand themselves as the Aldi amongst political parties? Still not buying it or them.
Oh, I don't know. If the LibDems could come up with a decent oven chip I might be swayed . . . .

But, more seriously - what a peculiar way to "market" a political party. Still crap but cheaper than last time? And they gave the impression that everything they promised in the run-up to the last election was possible - so why should anyone believe them this time? I'm assuming that these are just cheaper lies. Bargain! So, to continue the theme, I say: BOGOF.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AAW wrote:Sorry but I just see this scenario as the road to total chaos. This country is only so disunited because of Crosby and his divide and rule politics. Pre-Crosby we knew the direction of travel we were taking and I don't see why - post Crosby - we cannot get back on track.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28098586" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

I think we'll have to agree to disagree, there, AAW.

I don't think there was any direction of travel at all - well, I couldn't see any.....I'd be grate ful to know what you think it was.

I have no idea what a Labour win last time would have delivered; the LibDems offered some hope but have been worse than useless; the Tories didn't need Crosby to do what they're doing, as the health and social security reforms were in the planning for years despite all the lies Cameron told before the election.

£30BN is not an awful lot of money, but it's a start, I agree. It will be interesting to see what the plans are on how it would be spent.
There's no question in my mind that the billions hoovered up by our capital should be better distributed.

I'm aware that very few people on this forum are pro-Scottish independence. I feel a bit wary of posting my views here on the subject as a result - but I certainly don't think my wish for real change in our politics is all that unusual.
We've heard many times over the years how various elections/parties will change things and of course it hasn't really happened on a wider scale - Labour did some good things in their 13 years, but they could and should have done a lot more.

I think Miliband can and will be better - but I am impatient. People in my position do not have much to be optimistic about.
It's not easy being sick and trying to survive on benefit (especially when the DWP doesn't actually pay it) and I have been sickened by IDS & Co and very disappointed in Byrne and Reeves. I appreciate there's more to good governance than my pet things like the NHS and social security, and though I like what I'm hearing from Burnham, I expect better from Labour on jobs/benefits etc.

This country has become an unpleasant place in many ways. Yes, a lot of it is down to the vile divide-and-rule propaganda emanating from our current government; but that sort of thing often stokes up existing prejudice and there are a lot of people out there who resent people like me for something I can do nothing about. That scares me.

Perhaps I'll keep my views to myself. It seems to me that the the independence debate has led to some tribalism south of the border too, and it does nobody any credit, does it?[/quote]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AAW - my reply starts here format has gone bonkers
Please don't keep your views to yourself ephemerid, I meant no disrespect to you, I hold a different view that's all.
When you say
"I don't think there was any direction of travel at all - well, I couldn't see any.....I'd be grate ful to know what you think it was"
It was a more equal, sharing less demonising society that Labour left when they left office, and that is a position I would like to get back to, and proceed with. We had 4 corners of society in place with health care, schooling and higher education, social security, job security (in the main) and an economy that - before the crash - was healthy enough to help pay for it. The tories took a wrecking ball to it all, but I see no reason why we can't put it back together again.
I'm sorry if you feel that I am tribalist, I'm not. I just genuinely feel we have a better chance at re building if we pull together than if we pull apart.
Sorry to have offended.

Edited to try and fix mixed up format....which did not work ack.
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Mon 08 Sep, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: All valid, but the devil will be in every detail of independence, and to ignore or skate over little inconveniences - like the ramifications of using the pound but not being in fiscal union - is a bit like crossing the M6 on a busy day wearing a blindfold: you might make it to the other side if you're very lucky, but it would be a foolish person who'd believe that that could end well.
As I recall it didn't end too well for the Irish Republic. As much as people try to tell me this is a whole different ballgame I can't see the difference.
Let us assume Alex wins the vote 51 - 49.

Then six months down the line it becomes rapidly apparent that this is going to be really difficult, that people are going to be poorer, and that the outlook for the currency is dubious.

How is he going to carry people with him, especially as his bland assurances become increasingly exposed as lies?
Release the Guardvarks.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Well, quite. I'm not saying that the Scots can't make it work, but if were Scottish and voting, I'd want to know a damn sight more about the concrete plans for the numerous grey areas.