Monday 8th September 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 8th September 2014

Post by AngryAsWell »

There a #withoutthenhs Twitter storm ongoing ....

https://twitter.com/hashtag/withoutthenhs?src=hash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Sorry to bring up Scotland again but this by Paul Krugman is worth reading
Next week Scotland will hold a referendum on whether to leave the United Kingdom. And polling suggests that support for independence has surged over the past few months, largely because pro-independence campaigners have managed to reduce the “fear factor” — that is, concern about the economic risks of going it alone. At this point the outcome looks like a tossup.
Well, I have a message for the Scots: Be afraid, be very afraid. The risks of going it alone are huge. You may think that Scotland can become another Canada, but it’s all too likely that it would end up becoming Spain without the sunshine.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/08/op ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

AngryAsWell wrote:There a #withoutthenhs Twitter storm ongoing ....

https://twitter.com/hashtag/withoutthenhs?src=hash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks and yes very encouraging. I presume this coincides with the arrival of the "Jarrow March" in London. All setting the scene for some big speeches by Burnham and Miliband at the Labour Conference I hope.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

A big ahrrrrrr how wonderful moment
Ninety-year-old gay couple marries in Iowa after 72 years together
Vivian Boyack and Alice ‘Nonie’ Dubes, 91 and 90, met in hometown of Yale, Iowa, while growing up
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/s ... es-in-iowa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Thanks and yes very encouraging. I presume this coincides with the arrival of the "Jarrow March" in London. All setting the scene for some big speeches by Burnham and Miliband at the Labour Conference I hope.
I have a feeling the 2014 conference will be a "big bang" moment.
I think EdM has had this year planned from the day he accepted the leadership, he knew it was a 5 year parliament and nothing would change that, so everything has been planned and worked around it. No point making big waves only to have to stand and watch them crash without them taking you any further forward. See 7 year itch by Damian McBride ;)
I hope I'm not wrong.. (fingers crossed) but I really think after the conference Ed will raise his personal profile and the policies announced will carry Labour to a landslide :dance: :fight: :dance:
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

I've added my own contribution about how I wouldn't exist without the NHS because the newly created National Health Service kept one of my parents alive during the first few years of their life, treatment that would have been utterly beyond the financial means of my coal miner Grandfather to pay for otherwise.

There are a few right-wing trolls on there now, posting endless guff about death panels and other nonsense.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Worth a retweet if anyone on twitter at the mo

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Note to self, learn how to put twitter piccy's in post!)
Last edited by refitman on Mon 08 Sep, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: image added
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Worth a retweet if anyone on twitter at the mo

His words are worth more than several bags full of politicians ... thank you.
Working on the wild side.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

His words are worth more than several bags full of politicians ... thank you.
Have you read his book? Brilliant !
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Nite all :)
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Goodnight everyone.Hoping the pup will settle soonish so I can go to bed.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Cameron's going to face more awkward questions about Lynton Crosby, I'm sure.

Questions about links to UKIP, by the look of the polls.
MsChin
Backbencher

Post by MsChin »

Always worth quoting Harry Leslie Smith on why the welfare state is worth fighting to keep. He puts it so well and with such heartfelt conviction. I wonder if we could persuade him to stand against Carswell in Clacton!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

MsChin wrote:

Always worth quoting Harry Leslie Smith on why the welfare state is worth fighting to keep. He puts it so well and with such heartfelt conviction. I wonder if we could persuade him to stand against Carswell in Clacton!
I gather there's a fair bit of protest around Clacton Hospital being downgraded.

Perhaps there might be another Richard Taylor out there? Friend of mine comes from Kidderminster. Says throughout his time, it was the most working class Tory place you can imagine.

Labour finally win in 1997, then there's a big surge against them over the NHS, of all things.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

The Help with Posting is back: http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

AngryAsWell wrote:Sorry to bring up Scotland again but this by Paul Krugman is worth reading
Next week Scotland will hold a referendum on whether to leave the United Kingdom. And polling suggests that support for independence has surged over the past few months, largely because pro-independence campaigners have managed to reduce the “fear factor” — that is, concern about the economic risks of going it alone. At this point the outcome looks like a tossup.
Well, I have a message for the Scots: Be afraid, be very afraid. The risks of going it alone are huge. You may think that Scotland can become another Canada, but it’s all too likely that it would end up becoming Spain without the sunshine.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/08/op ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I read it earlier today. Krugman gets there, just, but he could have made it an easier argument. In essence, currency is about control of your economy. If you do not control your currency (rates, production of said currency, etc) then you are somebody else's bitch, and their interests will top yours every time. It's been seen in the recent past and it pains me to see
Scots sleepwalking into this horror show. The risible nonsense I've been reading this evening from pro yes people over on the Graun decrying the market reaction to a yes lead by selling shares in Scottish domiciled companies has finally persuaded me that a large number of pro yes people are absolutely barking mad, and would prefer to ignore economic reality rather than confront and deal with it.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

refitman wrote:The Help with Posting is back: http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, Dan.

And belated thanks for what you've done for this new site.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Strange days, find myself agreeing with Niall Ferguson, yukavee as they say down these parts, Gordon to the rescue and Cameron in a hole, strange days.