Thursday 29th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Re: Thursday 29th January 2015

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

pk1 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
pk1 wrote:Noooooooo, that means Abbott will still be around the TV studios talking crap about Labour & generally being disrespectful to her Party.

I don't want to lose Sadiq from the front bench either.

I want to cry now.

:cry:
Tessa Jowell is still favourite...
She's another that irritates me.

Whenever I see her on TV she umms & ahhhhs every bloody second or third word. Drives me f***ing cuckoo !

What is WRONG with these people ? Why can't they speak properly ?!

Aarghhhhh :wall:
Tessa is not so bad in person, quite a decent person really; she used to be my MP and I was the bane of her life at the CLP. :lol: I think she would make a decent stab at the Mayoralty and, like you, I would rather have Sadiq on the front bench of the incoming Labour Government.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Refreshing headline and concept from HuffPost ...
PMQs: David Cameron 'Weaponises' BBC Political Editor Nick Robinson
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/01 ... K+Politics
Sorry about this ...
A Fully Weaponised Nick Robinson.jpg
Why am I not surprised that this 'report' came from Robinson?

I don't remember a similar fuss being made over Osborne's self-declared desire to 'weaponise' the economy, and he's the bloody Chancellor.

Now the NHS is in a genuine crisis, and all Cameron does in response is to act faux-outraged about one uncomfirmed comment by Ed Miliband, treat Wales as a cross between North Korea and Somalia, and lie about Mid Staffs.

What a statesman.
What we need is automatic captioning for TV - so that every time an MP, journalist, celeb, lobbyist etc appears a caption giving their key 'interests' and previous jobs/roles automatically appears with them. Boy .... wouldn't that help people look at things in a new light.
Working on the wild side.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RobertSnozers wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges · 11h11 hours ago
Despite everything, I was going to vote Labour. Now I'm starting to think, seriously, what's the point.
Bollocks. He told us he was going to vote LibDem
That was just for the Euro-elections, I think (and much good it did them)

It is blatantly obvious he is looking for some excuse to wriggle out of his previous claims he *will* vote Labour at the GE no matter what - as transparent as graphene :roll: :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Grumpy Old Git
Backbencher

Post by Grumpy Old Git »

A quick post,in between things.I found this just now and thought some here may find it of interest.

Maximus Contract

The minister said that the contract can be read on the 'Contracts Finder' website [but I couldn't find the contract today]
Maximus has been funded to carry out 1 million assessments per year
If more than 1 million assessments are carried out with that money, Maximus gets to keep half the resulting 'profit'; if fewer are done, Maximus pays a penalty
There are 'quality' targets
There is no time-target in which Maximus must assess a claim once received by them
More Atos staff than expected have opted to transfer to Maximus
New assessors are already being recruited
The minister said that the WCA backlog has dropped from 760,000 in February 2014 to just over 500,000 now
The backlog might be cleared within two years
The minister appeared surprised to learn that Atos had claimed that one of the main reasons it was pulling out of the WCA contract early was alleged threats made to their WCA assessors [He obviously didn't read the Financial Times on 20 Feb 2014, which exclusively reported the news of Atos' desire to quit with the headline: "Outsource group seeks exit from UK £500million benefits contract after death threats"].
The minister was pleased that Sue Marsh and Disability Rights UK were involved with the new contract and he was upbeat about the future of the WCA from now on.

Sue Marsh is being mentioned already then.Yes I follow the WCA catastrophe.Source linked below.TTFN.

http://worktestwhistleblower.blogspot.c ... w=flipcard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

RobertSnozers wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges · 11h11 hours ago
Despite everything, I was going to vote Labour. Now I'm starting to think, seriously, what's the point.
Quite. What's the point of Dan F Hodges?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

RobertSnozers wrote:
pk1 wrote:Noooooooo, that means Abbott will still be around the TV studios talking crap about Labour & generally being disrespectful to her Party.

I don't want to lose Sadiq from the front bench either.

I want to cry now.

:cry:
Tessa Jowell is still favourite...
I don't want to lose Sadiq either, far more important on front bench than in London, anyone can do that job - you only have to look at whose running it now.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ErnstRemarx wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
He is awaiting his true destiny, as predicted by Nostradamus:
Come the millennium, month 12, in the home of greatest power, the village idiot will come forth to be acclaimed the leader.
(Sadly, despite this being a wide spread meme it is apocryphal, if appropriate)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mark Ferguson retweeted
Lucy Rigby @LucyRigby · 1h 1 hour ago
Karl McCartney is refusing to attend a debate with me hosted by BBC, @LincsEcho & @thelincolnite. I think there's an emoticon for that
The emoticon - which won't transfer to here - is chickens.

The other day Tim Montgomerie tweeted about Cameron ... with an emoticon of 3 pigs after it. I presumed he meant 'porkies'.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morning.

@Grumpy Old Git and justamentalpatient

Hello!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AngryAsWell wrote:...... anyone can do that job - you only have to look at whose running it now.
Anyone can do the job, but only one person has done it well so far.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Another of our favourites has returned to normal high irritation factor ... (he must be needing to up his profile more now that he hasn't got his Telegraph gig and other outlets are awash with Tgraph cast offs).
Mumsnet Confirms Toby Young Bellend Status
http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... llend.html
And one poster made this worrying observation: “He is also trying to turn ‘his high school’ West London Free School, into a pseudo private school by giving preferential places to children who go to the 2 associated primary schools (60 places), pretty much removing it as an option for most other children in the borough & creating an 'elite' publicly funded school”.

You can see the letter detailing that mildly controversial step HERE. http://www.lbhf.gov.uk/Images/WLFS%20Co ... 192285.pdf
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Gemma Doyle ‏@GemmaWDMP 10m10 minutes ago
Asked about support for Scotch whisky industry & excise duty this morn & got a reply about haggis.. @ScotchWhiskySWA #DEFRAQs
:lol: I hope she does retain her Scottish seat. Great tweet. That kind of response is known as a 'Trussism' to those of us who follow such things.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Grumpy Old Git wrote:Hello All.I am what my user name says,a grumpy old git.So have abandoned the Guardian after it has now gone from Beta to bloody awful.

I will pop in now and then when I am not looking after my Grandson,my daughter has to work,part time,to keep Mr Duncan Smith happy.She is classified has self employed but does craft fairs in summer and indoor car boots in winter to keep the Gestapo,sorry job centre of her back.

My Wife and I take it in turns to go out,to cold to take the three year old shopping.So one has to stay in to look after him.

Anyway,that is my intro,got to go,babysitting soon,catch you all again in the near future.
Hi Grumpy. Always nice to see new faces.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Mark Ferguson retweeted
Lucy Rigby @LucyRigby · 1h 1 hour ago
Karl McCartney is refusing to attend a debate with me hosted by BBC, @LincsEcho & @thelincolnite. I think there's an emoticon for that
The emoticon - which won't transfer to here - is chickens.

The other day Tim Montgomerie tweeted about Cameron ... with an emoticon of 3 pigs after it. I presumed he meant 'porkies'.
He's scared of looking like this afterwards:

AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

New twitter storm Saturday
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
#TogetherWithEd
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Sky News will produce a day of live Q&As, including interviews with the leaders of the Labour Party, the Liberal Democrats, and the Greens that will be shown live on Sky News and online, at the SUBC and Sky News Facebook pages.

The event takes place on Monday.

Live from Facebook's London office, each leader will face questions, one by one, across the day from the studio audience of 60 young potential voters who have contributed to the Stand Up Be Counted project – as well as an online audience of millions, who can submit questions through the links above.
http://news.sky.com/story/1416422/askth ... iz-leaders

Apparently Cammo the Coward has declined to accept this invitation also....
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

And the BBC Daily Politics are leading with Milburn's criticism (ie crapping himself about his shares in private health companies) Sigh.
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

I've just tried to log into the Guardian and just keep getting the log in page coming up over and over again. This is the first time I've tried it since it went fully Beta, is this a common problem? I note that they have the option to log in through Google or Facebook listed above their own log in now, so I wonder if the long term plan is push everybody into using them instead, and let its own system wither away.

I've also noticed that I can only see the first page of comments on any article now, when I try to click on the second page it just takes me back to the top of the article (that's why I was logging in, to tell them that). This is probably due to my ancient browser at work, but it's still annoying. And it took me ten minutes of faffing just to find the Politics Blog in the first place. It's worse than Tumblr (a statement I never thought I'd say about anything).
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Isn't it the one on the top of his head?
The truth ferret speaks!
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

Tish wrote:I've just tried to log into the Guardian and just keep getting the log in page coming up over and over again. This is the first time I've tried it since it went fully Beta, is this a common problem? I note that they have the option to log in through Google or Facebook listed above their own log in now, so I wonder if the long term plan is push everybody into using them instead, and let its own system wither away.

I've also noticed that I can only see the first page of comments on any article now, when I try to click on the second page it just takes me back to the top of the article (that's why I was logging in, to tell them that). This is probably due to my ancient browser at work, but it's still annoying. And it took me ten minutes of faffing just to find the Politics Blog in the first place. It's worse than Tumblr (a statement I never thought I'd say about anything).

I haven't had a problem with signing in as i never log out, but I have only spent 15 - 20 minutes on the site this morning due to the fact I couldn't find anything I wanted to read, and the big lumps of white spaces made me nauseous.

I won't be going back in a hurry.

The comments on Sparrows blog are somehow still available on the old system here http://discussion.theguardian.com/discu ... mentpage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Tish wrote:I've just tried to log into the Guardian and just keep getting the log in page coming up over and over again. This is the first time I've tried it since it went fully Beta, is this a common problem? I note that they have the option to log in through Google or Facebook listed above their own log in now, so I wonder if the long term plan is push everybody into using them instead, and let its own system wither away.

When you say your "ancient browser at work" I'm guessing you are using Internet Explorer? I found the Beta layout is especially buggy on IE, to the point of being unusable; actually even pre-Beta the Graun site threw up all sorts of errors on IE.

There is an obvious reason, in that the Guardian is looking more toward mobile devices where Apple and Google operating systems & browsers are the norm; it says much for the slapdash way they have gone about this whole thing, that they have simply turned their backs on those people who might be attempting to access the site from a PC.

Tish, you just have to accept that, like many of us, you are an irrelevant Luddite more fitted to using a slate and chalk than modern technology. ;-)
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Toby Latimer wrote:

I haven't had a problem with signing in as i never log out, but I have only spent 15 - 20 minutes on the site this morning due to the fact I couldn't find anything I wanted to read, and the big lumps of white spaces made me nauseous.

I won't be going back in a hurry.

The comments on Sparrows blog are somehow still available on the old system here http://discussion.theguardian.com/discu ... mentpage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you! I'm even logged in on that version - very peculiar.
justamentalpatient
Backbencher

Post by justamentalpatient »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

When you say your "ancient browser at work" I'm guessing you are using Internet Explorer? I found the Beta layout is especially buggy on IE, to the point of being unusable; actually even pre-Beta the Graun site threw up all sorts of errors on IE.

There is an obvious reason, in that the Guardian is looking more toward mobile devices where Apple and Google operating systems & browsers are the norm; it says much for the slapdash way they have gone about this whole thing, that they have simply turned their backs on those people who might be attempting to access the site from a PC.

Tish, you just have to accept that, like many of us, you are an irrelevant Luddite more fitted to using a slate and chalk than modern technology. ;-)

Are you channelling mattpointblank? Every time he popped up on YTU, he would blame the users old tech.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Ta for the link Toby. Just had a fun twenty minutes reporting sanguine6 for trolling, hate speech etc.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Great big surge of horizontal sleet just started ....

Jeepers.

Is it with you as well yahyah?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Proper big flakes in Notts. If this keeps up it'll be a fun drive home tonight. :o

Welcome to all new FTNers btw.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

norman smith @BBCNormanS · 1h 1 hour ago
Oops! Mean Nicky Morgan. #dozy

@Samfr doh!

Leadership in Birmingham City Council "leaves much to be desired" after Trojan Horse scandal - Nicky Clarke

Educ Sec Nicky Clarke attacks Birmingham City Council over response to Trojan Horse scandal
You said it Norman, you said it.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

justamentalpatient wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Are you channelling mattpointblank? Every time he popped up on YTU, he would blame the users old tech.
And therein lies the problem. It is not the users fault they have old tech, it is the developers job to ensure it works in all situations (as much as humanly possible).

I designed the odd website in my time, not to this level but decent business sites; I made sure that I tested the sites, and any changes, on as many browsers as possible and as many platforms (PC, Mac & mobile) as possible. The Graun obviously haven't done that, and dismissed anybody who can't keep up as irrelevant dinosaurs. I am embarrassed for them, even if they are not themselves.

There are good reasons why a lot of companies still use Internet Explorer, and older versions of IE at that, and it isn't simply inertia; I've worked with more than one company who used proprietary software designed to work with IE 8 and upgrading the browsers would mean rewriting all of their own software - Chrome may be free, but making expensive software rewrites makes even 'free' less than cost effective.
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Lol, that is undeniably true. And yes I am trapped in a 1990's timewarp with Internet Explorer at the moment, although I do have an iPad at home, and find the beta layout just as annoying on that. As for trying to look at it on my phone while on the bus, I tried that once and abandoned it within about five minutes becouse I couldn't read a bloody thing.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

The amount of time and money they have put into it could have created a site that works properly on all browsers. It is a typical Guardian artefact : style over content. A modern, fresh look for a stale, clapped out business model and ideology.
justamentalpatient
Backbencher

Post by justamentalpatient »

Well the standard response to people posting from work was "that software has major security issues, your company should upgrade".

Tossers
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Are we linked up to those other sites mentioned above?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Pembrokeshire schools' closure: U-turn for Ysgol Dewi Sant, St Davids
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-31026443
Good news. Mr Riots' grandchildren all went to this school - and it is excellent. The best school in Pembrokeshire according to the tables etc. I know our PPC was worried about the impact of the schools closures proposals. What this report doesn't set out is that the proposals also mean a reduction in the number of sixth forms that will be English medium in this part of Pembrokeshire ... down to one only I believe. And that is a big issue. We met some irate parents recently on the doorstep. One of them said to me that she wasn't going to vote - would only vote for a party that pledged to end promotion of the Welsh language. Not going to happen. But she was furious.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Anyone spot the Marx quote in 'Up the Women' last night? 'We are nothing but tabula rasa written on by history and circumstance.'
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

justamentalpatient wrote:Well the standard response to people posting from work was "that software has major security issues, your company should upgrade".

Tossers
QED. Arrogant idiots.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

mikems wrote:Anyone spot the Marx quote in 'Up the Women' last night? 'We are nothing but tabula rasa written on by history and circumstance.'
Not caught up with this series yet, downloading both episodes on iPlayer as I type this. The first series was excellent, but I wan't convinced it would get recommissioned, very happy to be proved wrong in this instance. :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

MPs plotted to knock over cameraman, says documentary maker
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31039104
MPs plotted to knock over a BBC cameraman in the House of Commons - in the hope of stopping a new documentary on Westminster life, a film-maker says.

Michael Cockerell told reporters about the plan at a press screening of his new series Inside the Commons.

"I'm not fingering anyone by name," Mr Cockerill said, when asked who was involved in the plot.

But he did say they were "right wing Tories... what Downing Street know as the berserkers, the naughty bench"...

"We heard of a plan to knock over the cameraman and cause the House to be suspended, and then they would blame it on us and suggest we shouldn't be there," he said, adding that Parliamentary staff had let them know about the plot and had managed to prevent it from happening....
****ing right wing Tories ... they seem to think they're still at their prep schools ... and that they should 'rule' in the HoC, nothing should happen that they don't like.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Last week's was my first episode and it produced a few laughs, but I was disappointed with the one last night.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Emma Burnell @EmmaBurnell_ · 4h 4 hours ago
Damn. I had March in the Hodges announces he's voting Tory sweepstakes. Looks like he's moving ahead of schedule.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

‏@pollytoynbee
@GerryHassan Westminster voting system IS rigged.Lab shld pledge PR votes:make this last election of nosepeg voting to keep the worst out.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 2h2 hours ago
Caroline Lucas is barely mentioning the Greens in her local campaign literature http://specc.ie/1wDCENy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; pic.twitter.com/S5TuSV2gb1

Greg Stone ‏@gm_stone 2h2 hours ago
@IsabelHardman this looks like parliamentary comms allowance funded communication with voters not campaign materials. Can't be party content

Isabel Hardman
‏@IsabelHardman
@gm_stone have added clarification!
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: Bollocks. He told us he was going to vote LibDem
He is awaiting his true destiny, as predicted by Nostradamus:
Come the millennium, month 12, in the home of greatest power, the village idiot will come forth to be acclaimed the leader.
(Sadly, despite this being a wide spread meme it is apocryphal, if appropriate)
Not sure about the millennium, month 12, but...surely this refers to The Empty Clucking Ducker? DfH is definitely depriving a village somewhere of an idiot, but OGRFG has been acclaimed leader by the National Association of Village Idiots (Tory and Lost Deposit parties) and is stupid enough to be the idiot for a small continent.
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:
danesclose wrote:
Lonewolfie wrote:PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Michael Portillo

rebeccariots2 wrote:
It is now impossible to avoid the Les Paterson switchback system which gives us:

Iain Duncan Smith

danesclose wrote:
In that case, against my better wishes, I'm forced to go with Charlotte Leslie

If you do, please make sure you have a good wash before you come back as you may be contaminated with toryunthink dopeydorisitis.

(Sorry - really couldn't resist, danesclose)
No offence taken - I did say it was against my better wishes. Perhaps I should have used the Wollaston gambit?

In that case, the only possible riposte is.....

David Owen.
Barack Obama
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good name for a band
Narcissistic Tendency

Fourth Track on first release
"DanHodgesAsksWhyDoesn'tAnyoneCareAboutWhatISay"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

BREAKING NEWS:

Ministry of Justice says data from three semi-secret inquiries has gone missing on discs lost in the post (BBC News website)
There's no further information at the moment.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

http://hackinginquiry.org/latest-news/s ... ourt-told/

A News UK employee has testified in court that staff “worked in fear” of Rebekah Brooks when she edited the Sun as “people were hired and fired on a regular basis”.

...and...

Under questioning from defence counsel the retired police officer said that due to the specific legal issues around investigating newspapers a “memorandum of understanding” had been negotiated with News International about what information was to be given to the police. Kandiah said that there was no way of knowing” if all the relevant documents had been handed over, a situation that he described as “less than satisfactory”. There had also been, he agreed, a large number of emails that had been deleted from the company’s computer system. “We don’t know if we’ve got everything” the witness confirmed.

...but they know they definitely haven't got 'everything' - I still can't see how Newscorpse haven't committed a crime by concealing and tampering with evidence?...and more confirmation - if necessary, after this -

Last Monday, a tribunal ordered the News of the World to pay Driscoll, 41, £792,736 in compensation for being the victim of "a consistent pattern of bullying behaviour", led by the paper's then editor, Andy Coulson.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media ... 30378.html

...of the corporate 'culture' of Murkydochia.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

RobertSnozers wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Barack Obama
In that case I'll cross via the moving walkway to Constance Georgine Markievicz
George Gideon Oliver Osborne
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Great big surge of horizontal sleet just started ....

Jeepers.

Is it with you as well yahyah?

Yes thanks. It hasn't settled.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RobertSnozers wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Barack Obama
In that case I'll cross via the moving walkway to Constance Georgine Markievicz
I'm sorry, it was peevish of me; it's cold & I'm in some pain.

I ask President Obama, "Is this the best you could do for the people & the land, Sir?".
What if he truthfully answers, "Yes." ?
What am I going to do with that information?

"It didn't have to be this way," President Obama said when he signed the Great Sequester in early 2013.
You did your best, Sir?
Yes.

Then what the hell kind of world do we live in that tolerates the degradation of living standards, quality of life for regular people?
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Toby Latimer wrote:And the BBC Daily Politics are leading with Milburn's criticism (ie crapping himself about his shares in private health companies) Sigh.
Still??

FFS
Thankfully it only lasted a few minutes, and at least it gave Joan Bakewell a chance to rip into the MSM for jumping on Milburns comments and ignoring Burnham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... s-29012015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;