Thursday 29th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 29th January 2015

Post by ohsocynical »

And here's another shambles.

http://order-order.com/2015/01/29/torie ... is-busted/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ian Lucas retweeted
David Aaronovitch ‏@DAaronovitch 9h9 hours ago
@spectator Line I wish I'd written: "No one but the Greens could want to decriminalise hard drugs and yet outlaw pâté." @TheGreenParty
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Yeah but Alan Milburn
And little Nicky Robinson says Ed Miliband wants to weaponise the NHS.
- So Nick, the wrangle between hospitals and the government can't be good for the NHS.

- There are wrangles and wrangles, Peter. Hospitals are basically a vested interested so you'd expect that. The argument that really matters is between Alan Milburn and Andy Burnham.

- Vested interests there too, Nick?

- Absolutely. Andy Burnham wants to win votes and be in the government.

- But Alan Milburn, some have said he's got business interests in private healthcare.

- No-one's said that on here.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:And here's another shambles.

http://order-order.com/2015/01/29/torie ... is-busted/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't trust current government at all.
I doubt they want me to trust them.

"Tories Admit New Voter Software is Busted"

Current government & the Tory supporters think democracy, housing, the NHS, clean water & air cost too much to be used by non-Tories.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Ian Lucas retweeted
@spectator Line I wish I'd written: "No one but the Greens could want to decriminalise hard drugs and yet outlaw pâté." @TheGreenParty
There were some very valid points in that Spectator article, so quite why Aaronovitch chose to single out that line I don't know. There is at least an argument for looking at the status of drugs (as Russell Brand has pointed out), but I can't think of any reason why a foodstuff like foie gras, produced in such a barbaric fashion, should not be banned. The isn't about being Green, it is about being humane and civilised.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

- Nick, you've also been in the news yourself, I gather.

- Yes, I was very pleased to be mentioned by the PM.

- But you broke a confidence of Ed Miliband. Should you have done that?

- Dermot, journalism is all about reporting stuff the powerful don't want you to know.

- Have you broken any confidences of the PM.

- Journalism is all about protecting your sources.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Ian Lucas retweeted
There were some very valid points in that Spectator article, so quite why Aaronovitch chose to single out that line I don't know. There is at least an argument for looking at the status of drugs (as Russell Brand has pointed out), but I can't think of any reason why a foodstuff like foie gras, produced in such a barbaric fashion, should not be banned. The isn't about being Green, it is about being humane and civilised.
Thought it was a very strange line ... and not sure what Aaronovitch's position is - although he seems pretty dismissive from that.

Foie gras is barbaric - you're absolutely right on that. Is that what he means by pate?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:- Nick, you've also been in the news yourself, I gather.

- Yes, I was very pleased to be mentioned by the PM.

- But you broke a confidence of Ed Miliband. Should you have done that?

- Dermot, journalism is all about reporting stuff the powerful don't want you to know.

- Have you broken any confidences of the PM.

- Journalism is all about protecting your sources.
That deserves a wider audience Tubby :clap:
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Is everyone's twitter broken or just mine? :(
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:Is everyone's twitter broken or just mine? :(
Mine seems to be okay...
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Thought it was a very strange line ... and not sure what Aaronovitch's position is - although he seems pretty dismissive from that.

Foie gras is barbaric - you're absolutely right on that. Is that what he means by pate?
Yes, the Greens have been campaigning against it for years and I'm 100% with them on this policy at least.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

It seems very slow at loading pages, i just had a white screen declaring 'no data received' :?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:
Mine seems to be okay...
Mine's just come back - thank you :)
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

16227_823740407687748_7078860446155698747_n.jpg
16227_823740407687748_7078860446155698747_n.jpg (118.02 KiB) Viewed 11819 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

http://www.sochealth.co.uk/2015/01/29/l ... alth-care/

Labour’s Ten Year Plan for Health and Care
by Andy Burnham
January 29, 2015

I don't think the content posted above is simply Burnham's speech; I think he's written more detail. Apologies if I've misunderstood.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Toby Latimer wrote:
It seems very slow at loading pages, i just had a white screen declaring 'no data received' :?
That's what I was getting ...all back up and fine now :)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Most pitiful collection of commenters I've seen outside UKIP.

Yes, it's the SNP.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/azeem-i ... 10.html?ut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's all there- focussing on Cameron, the Smith Commission, Red Tories, anything but accepting the hole in iScotland's finances.

But it was never about oil, apparently.

The personal insults- "garbage", "lies" (with no explanation)- are very UKIP.

Also a strange bit of pseudo-intellectual stuff. "Oil companies are committed to further exploration" (as if that means they'll find anything worth pulling out the ground), and "Scotland's tax structure would be very different", which either means alchemy or raising taxes to make up for the oil and risking flight to England.

This circus can't go on for much longer, surely?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:http://www.sochealth.co.uk/2015/01/29/l ... alth-care/

Labour’s Ten Year Plan for Health and Care
by Andy Burnham
January 29, 2015

I don't think the content posted above is simply Burnham's speech; I think he's written more detail. Apologies if I've misunderstood.
I put it in the file section (Features & Analysis) here
http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=379" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here the direct link to it

http://www.yourbritain.org.uk/uploads/e ... S_Plan.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Night all xx
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AngryAsWell wrote:Night all xx
Night AAW.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Night AAW
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

The government will not reveal the full cost of its troubled Universal Credit system until after the general election in May 2015, Computer Weekly has learned. The last time it calculated an official cost estimate for the whole project, in 2012, it was £12.85bn. But while the cost is said to have since burgeoned, with the project now running two years behind its original schedule and with problems having complicated its development, the government has not updated the official estimate for more than two years. Source : http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240 ... l-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Night AAW.

And Por Favor for earlier.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Most pitiful collection of commenters I've seen outside UKIP.

Yes, it's the SNP.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/azeem-i ... 10.html?ut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's all there- focussing on Cameron, the Smith Commission, Red Tories, anything but accepting the hole in iScotland's finances.

But it was never about oil, apparently.

The personal insults- "garbage", "lies" (with no explanation)- are very UKIP.

Also a strange bit of pseudo-intellectual stuff. "Oil companies are committed to further exploration" (as if that means they'll find anything worth pulling out the ground), and "Scotland's tax structure would be very different", which either means alchemy or raising taxes to make up for the oil and risking flight to England.

This circus can't go on for much longer, surely?
I'm beginning to get the impression that the Labour Party are intent on throwing away their support in Scotland.
We have Ed Miliband sidestepping the question of a Lab/Nat agreement (although Ed Balls has been more outspoken):
http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/ed-mili ... -1-3672944
Then we have a pledge of a 'home rule bill' within 100 days of the election (if Labour wins):
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3672824
They don't seem to accept that the majority of Scottish voters voted to stay an equal part of the union, any more than the SNP accept that they lost. The desperate scramble to get 'yes' voters to vote Labour may well have the effect of losing their existing supporters.

On a lighter note, the Labour supporter who lives in the USA, supported 'yes' and voiced an SNP pro-independence commercial has ... 'defected' to the SNP. :lol:
http://www.scotsman.com/news/celebrity/ ... -1-3672788
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Woodcock ‏@JWoodcockMP 14m14 minutes ago
On @BBCNewsnight shortly to talk about the health rumpus this week and Labour's plans for investment with radical reform.
Let's hope it's a decent interview which actually tries to look at the substance of what Labour is proposing .... James O'Brien in the chair, fingers crossed.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Yes, it's funny how "Devo Max" wasn't even voted upon, but it's what Scotland's going to get anyway.

They're very scared of the "London branch office" stuff, and think they have to devolve, and then have to adopt distinct positions from UK Labour. It gets silly.

Of course the great irony is that the SNP would shit themselves if they got fiscal autonomy tomorrow.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Latest YouGov poll (28 - 29 Jan):
CON - 34% (+1)
LAB - 34% (+1)
UKIP - 14% (-2)
GRN - 7% (-)
LDEM - 6% (-)
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

This Newsnight is gobsmackingly biased shite.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Jeez.

http://schoolsimprovement.net/poor-chil ... ted-claims" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The TES is reporting that Ofsted has criticised some schools for grouping disadvantaged children together on so-called “pupil premium tables” in classrooms…
I've some sympathy for the schools here, sort of.

They have to show they're spending this premium on the FSM children, IIRC. Easiest way is to separate them and gives them some special resource.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

We now have, er, the chair of Progress up against Sarah Wollaston.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

NonOxCol wrote:This Newsnight is gobsmackingly biased shite.
You mean Ian Katz isn't a hard leftist who would give his Tory bosses the run around?
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Duplicate post.

I blame Beta.
Last edited by NonOxCol on Thu 29 Jan, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
You mean Ian Katz isn't a hard leftist who would give his Tory bosses the run around?
The Stratton package was truly shocking, but this Woodcock guy really shouldn't be out in public. Whose idea was it to put him on TV?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Jeez.

http://schoolsimprovement.net/poor-chil ... ted-claims" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The TES is reporting that Ofsted has criticised some schools for grouping disadvantaged children together on so-called “pupil premium tables” in classrooms…

They have to show they're spending this premium on the FSM children, IIRC. Easiest way is to separate them and gives them some special resource.
No, that's a terrible way of doing it - talk about stigmatizing them.

Pupil premium is a bit of a blunt instrument since, although there is a correlation between children from families on benefits and pupil attainment, it isn't exact and there can easily be pupils attracting PP that have no need of any intervention.

The way we do it is to look at every child's need whether they attract PP or not and tailor support to them based on a specific action plan. Separately we look at how much we get in PP and work out as a desktop exercise what it was spent on.

It is almost like two separate exercise - trying to work out for every PP child how much has been spent on them is almost impossible. So long as you can show (i) rise in attainment for those children and (ii) how PP was spent, Ofsted are happy...the fact that you can't link them is almost irrelevant.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Yes, it's funny how "Devo Max" wasn't even voted upon, but it's what Scotland's going to get anyway.

They're very scared of the "London branch office" stuff, and think they have to devolve, and then have to adopt distinct positions from UK Labour. It gets silly.

Of course the great irony is that the SNP would shit themselves if they got fiscal autonomy tomorrow.
And, of course, the revenue raised will be deducted from the block grant, the Barnett formula will have to be scrapped and Scottish taxes would have to rise to make up for the loss. (and/or more cuts to public services). Higher taxes in Scotland = jobs relocated to E/W/NI = less tax collected = higher taxes or cuts ad infinitum.

Devolution of 'domestic' issues - law, education, health etc - is fair enough (it was always the remit of the Scottish Office and not the corresponding UK departments, pre-devolution).
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Absolutely crap - and providing nothing more to the slanging match. No good information - no good analysis.

Woodcock not good for Labour ... O'Brien constantly interrupting him ... Wollaston saying same old stuff.

O'Brien has gone right down in my estimation for that.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 20m20 minutes ago London, England
Just heard fine speech by Ed Miliband at the Westminster Correspondents' Dinner: funny, moving and human.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Absolutely crap - and providing nothing more to the slanging match. No good information - no good analysis.

Woodcock not good for Labour ... O'Brien constantly interrupting him ... Wollaston saying same old stuff.

And needless to say, there was not a single mention of Milburn's interests in private health.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Nobody watches Newsnight.
Release the Guardvarks.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Well, how about Question Time then? They've started that with an attack on the NHS in Wales apparently. The NHS, which Question Time never discussed once in the month the Health and Social Care Act was passed.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

NonOxCol wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Absolutely crap - and providing nothing more to the slanging match. No good information - no good analysis.

Well, how about Question Time then? They've started that with an attack on the NHS in Wales apparently. The NHS, which Question Time never discussed once in the month the Health and Social Care Act was passed.
Yep, nobody watches Question time either.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

Pupil premium is a bit of a blunt instrument since, although there is a correlation between children from families on benefits and pupil attainment, it isn't exact and there can easily be pupils attracting PP that have no need of any intervention.

The way we do it is to look at every child's need whether they attract PP or not and tailor support to them based on a specific action plan. Separately we look at how much we get in PP and work out as a desktop exercise what it was spent on.

It is almost like two separate exercise - trying to work out for every PP child how much has been spent on them is almost impossible. So long as you can show (i) rise in attainment for those children and (ii) how PP was spent, Ofsted are happy...the fact that you can't link them is almost irrelevant.
Oh yes, it's a terrible way of doing it, completely stigmatizing.

But I can see how they might be panicked by Ofsted, because of the problems you identify with it.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

John Woodcock (who I like despite the fact he is rather right wing) has had well documented personal problems in the past few years.

Not sure whose bright idea it was to have him on tonight, tbh.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

Oh yes, it's a terrible way of doing it, completely stigmatizing.

But I can see how they might be panicked by Ofsted, because of the problems you identify with it.
We had a long discussion on PP at a meeting a month or so back and one of our governors couldn't get her head round the fact that we couldn't show what we spent on each child that attracts PP.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

NonOxCol wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

And needless to say, there was not a single mention of Milburn's interests in private health.
Ian Katz tweeting out the opinion of Julian Legrand, an "ex-Labour advisor". He's been knighted by the Coalition, so not quite the lefty they made him sound.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
We had a long discussion on PP at a meeting a month or so back and one of our governors couldn't get her head round the fact that we couldn't show what we spent on each child that attracts PP.
I suppose if you don't have a numerate person on the governors, it could be very difficult to work out what you could show and what you couldn't.

I was imagining some poor sods without that numeracy and thinking "Shit, we have to do them altogether!"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Even in the days when the Graun was a recognisably centre-left paper, Katz never really came across as such.

Far quicker to sneer rather than constructively criticise, the John Crace of his day.

For me he passed the point of no return after the Syria war vote, when on Twitter he drooled over David Aaronovitch's hysterical toys out of pram and then some anti-Miliband rant in the Times the following day as "devastating". Newsnight did little else that week but pump out crude pro-war propaganda.

Watched some early (1980s) editions of it on YouTube recently - utterly unrecognisable as the same programme (ie vastly superior in every concievable aspect, of course)

Ugh.
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Thu 29 Jan, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

I turned it off after 90 seconds.

The intro was practically the same as for Wark/Burnham the other night. Lefty BBC eh.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
NonOxCol wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Absolutely crap - and providing nothing more to the slanging match. No good information - no good analysis.

Ian Katz tweeting out the opinion of Julian Legrand, an "ex-Labour advisor". He's been knighted by the Coalition, so not quite the lefty they made him sound.
The only people that Stratton went to for her piece were disaffected Blairites.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Barry Sheerman MP ‏@BarrySheerman 26m26 minutes ago
Is there a dread fear in the Beeb they'll lose the licence fee? Desperate to damage Labour on NHS digging up people I thought were dead!