Saturday 31st January & Sunday 1st February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
51A
Committee Member

Re: Saturday 31st January & Sunday 1st February 2015

Post by 51A »

Bugger, just learned that my Old Labour but Cabinet Member of New Labour, Welsh constituency MP won't be standing this time due to age and fixed term parliaments. Totally good constituency MP, born and lived here, got an email back within a week of sending one to him on any matter. Paul Murphy will be missed. Any clue who's going to replace him?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

51A wrote:Bugger, just learned that my Old Labour but Cabinet Member of New Labour, Welsh constituency MP won't be standing this time due to age and fixed term parliaments. Totally good constituency MP, born and lived here, got an email back within a week of sending one to him on any matter. Paul Murphy will be missed. Any clue who's going to replace him?
Sorry to hear that you're losing a good constituency MP. Don't know whether or not the local party will hold a contest to find the replacement PPC but they'd be the people to keep you up to date. I think there's a mechanism for someone to simply be appointed once we're this close to an election but Ernst and others might know the regs on that better than I do; and it would partly depend on when Paul Murphy announced that he'd be standing down.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

refitman wrote:Stop the presses!!

Member of right-wing think tank (in this case the IEA) thinks government spending should be cut even more: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -standards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also worth watching his debate with Piketty on C4 News: http://www.channel4.com/news/piketty-th ... bourne-cps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Having now watched both episodes of The Super-Rich and Us (on BBC iPlayer) I have to say that I disagree with Ryan Bourne even more than I did yesterday – and that was a heck of a lot!

As for this:
Australia, Ireland, Korea, Japan, Switzerland, Singapore, Hong Kong and the US have all had overall government spending levels around or below 35% of GDP in recent times. It is true that all have a degree of private funding for health, pensions or both. But they are perfectly reasonable and pleasant places to live, and in many cases have services and outcomes demonstrably better than our own.
Oh yes, all perfectly reasonable and pleasant places to live if you are fit and healthy and have a good income and sufficient in assets to enable you to buy the best services for the rest of your life. Not necessarily so great for the ordinary person and positively dire for the poor – especially those with poor health and/or with disabilities...
:fire: :wall: :fire: :wall: :fire: :wall:
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

LadyCentauria wrote:
51A wrote:Bugger, just learned that my Old Labour but Cabinet Member of New Labour, Welsh constituency MP won't be standing this time due to age and fixed term parliaments. Totally good constituency MP, born and lived here, got an email back within a week of sending one to him on any matter. Paul Murphy will be missed. Any clue who's going to replace him?
Sorry to hear that you're losing a good constituency MP. Don't know whether or not the local party will hold a contest to find the replacement PPC but they'd be the people to keep you up to date. I think there's a mechanism for someone to simply be appointed once we're this close to an election but Ernst and others might know the regs on that better than I do; and it would partly depend on when Paul Murphy announced that he'd be standing down.
I hope there is someone local to follow in his footsteps, but they will be rather large boots to fill. Not only was he local and although this valley welcomes all (I know that for a fact as an incomer), they need someone who understands its difficulties, they can't just parachute someone in who won't live here. It's a glorious place to live. But it takes time to know it. And he was at Mo Mowlam's side throughout the peace process. Gosh, sobbing my heart out now to lose him. But grateful to have had him as my MP.
51A
Committee Member

Post by 51A »

pk1 wrote:Hate on Sunday has another of their 'Crisis for Red Ed' headlines, along with requisite quotes from disaffected Blairites including Jason Cowley - again !!

WTF is this guy doing writing anti-Labour bilge in the Daily Hate ? :toss:

So much for the New Statesman being a leftie magazine !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... iband.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have no idea what all these old Blairites are doing. All coming out now to stick the knife into Labour now it's dropped the "New" (as in Blue) tag. They were the liars, the ones that hijacked our party, went into illegal wars with no mandate and let the bankers run free. So I suggest they all stfu or we sue them, class action.

(Btw - Daily Hate readers will always be that and journos will always write what sells best - well, many will.)
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Reduced benefit cap would 'force large families out of the south-east'

http://www.theguardian.com/housing-netw ... south-east

And not just 'large' families, either, given that the benefit cap could even effect one-bedroom flats. Moat Housing Association (provider of 'social rent', 'affordable rent', and 'shared-ownership' housing in the South-East) found:
...every three-bedroom social home across all 35 areas it operates would become instantly unaffordable for residents receiving full housing benefit if the cap were reduced to £23,000 and that all two-bedroom homes would be unaffordable within six years.
and for those social housing tenants in homes charged at the so-called 'affordable rent':
...two-bedroom homes in London, Brighton & Hove, Epping and Mid-Sussex would all become instantly unaffordable, while all other two-bedrooms homes in the rest of the south-east would be out of reach within four years. The majority of one-bedroom homes in the south-east would be unaffordable within 10 years.
The article is by Liam Kelly and is in The Guardian's Housing Network section. Posted on Saturday morning it has already attracted 1542 comments!

This news is pretty bloody horrifying and just a taste of what we would have to look forward to within days of a Con government being returned in May, given that that is the time frame promised by Cameron to reduce the benefit cap :(
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@LAC

Sadly ,the article doesn't' question the applied to the unemployed line .Over two thirds,affected are not expected to work and/or in work.That isn't' to say I would agree with the policy if it was only applied to jobseekers,but it skews the whole debate and a main reason why it is supposedly popular.I say supposedly,because ,maybe naively only the proud to be a bastard contingency would support the penalisation of a carer,who may also be working; either looking after a friend/relative outside the house,or indeed in the same house(another fact,never stated is that households have different definitions for benefit purposes).If there" are not that many of them";what possible reason are they included beyond misanthropy.Freud still imply couldn't' answer when asked what behaviour was deemed appropriate to change in that situation.It is of course the salient characteristic of this Government to decide policies in this area on political machinations concurrent with the necessary demonisation and lies and in direct contrast to actual evidence.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
It's a remarkable testament to Ed Miliband's resilience - and the current Labour party (most of it) - that they haven't crumbled. We've had four and three quarter years of this already ... anyone would think Labour had been in government, and Ed had been prime minister during that time - rather than the complete Condem shambles we've actually had.
It is indeed. It is Gordon Brown all over again.The British Press are scum.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
refitman wrote:Stop the presses!!

Member of right-wing think tank (in this case the IEA) thinks government spending should be cut even more: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -standards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also worth watching his debate with Piketty on C4 News: http://www.channel4.com/news/piketty-th ... bourne-cps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Having now watched both episodes of The Super-Rich and Us (on BBC iPlayer) I have to say that I disagree with Ryan Bourne even more than I did yesterday – and that was a heck of a lot!

As for this:
Australia, Ireland, Korea, Japan, Switzerland, Singapore, Hong Kong and the US have all had overall government spending levels around or below 35% of GDP in recent times. It is true that all have a degree of private funding for health, pensions or both. But they are perfectly reasonable and pleasant places to live, and in many cases have services and outcomes demonstrably better than our own.
Oh yes, all perfectly reasonable and pleasant places to live if you are fit and healthy and have a good income and sufficient in assets to enable you to buy the best services for the rest of your life. Not necessarily so great for the ordinary person and positively dire for the poor – especially those with poor health and/or with disabilities...
:fire: :wall: :fire: :wall: :fire: :wall:
Interesting to see people commenting on Switzerland

I know it well as Iive there

Saying there is 'some degree of private health insurance' is underestimating it a bit - we pay around 6-7% of gross salray on insurance and have a CHF2500 franchise per year. That is a fair whack if you are all. Also, you can save by switching but just try doing that with an existing condition!

I often ask myself how the poor manage to live there, and for the citizens it is via this strong communal system they have. Each person has a 'commune of origin' - not neccessarily where they were born and it is they that will help out. Doesn't do much for the non-citizen population though

I get fed up hearing simplistic comparisons between Switzerland and the UK - both are completely different countries with a different culture.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

The numbers in the Ryan Bourne article are wrong.
The receipts any government has obtained from taxes have averaged around 35% over the past 50 years, with an absolute maximum of 38%.
From the OBR

Average - 38.4%
Maximum - 44.2% in 1981/82

And he doesn't say where the cuts to get to 35% are to come from. Of course not, don't want to frighten people now do we? It won't affect people like him anyway so he's not bothered.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

RogerOThornhill wrote:The numbers in the Ryan Bourne article are wrong.
The receipts any government has obtained from taxes have averaged around 35% over the past 50 years, with an absolute maximum of 38%.
From the OBR

Average - 38.4%
Maximum - 44.2% in 1981/82

And he doesn't say where the cuts to get to 35% are to come from. Of course not, don't want to frighten people now do we? It won't affect people like him anyway so he's not bothered.
But it will affect people like him. They'll be receiving nice juicy tax cuts as a reward... nay, a moral duty... for being so hardworking.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Morning all.

Well, as pk1 says, the Fail has the obligatory (and really quite desperate) bash Ed article, But to provide a little balance they also stick the boot into OFRFPG as well. :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... pital.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Good morning everyone.

It's my birthday today and I have got a huge bunch of flowers and some very wicked chocolate cake. And some lovely messages and cards.

I'm very low at the moment; although I have plenty to be grateful for, I'm finding the anger and frustration is beginning to take its' toll and I am losing my fight.
At 59, I can't "retire" as planned next year; that's not retirement from work, as I've been incapable of that for several years - and here I am in this battle with DWP.

Despite having full entitlement to Support Group ESA, my payments stopped a few months ago and nobody can or will tell me why. My claim is, apparently, being administered clerically so there is no information available to the helpline operators as they can only deal with inquiries on claims that are live on the system.
I have written many letters, asked for many call-backs, and done everything I can to find out what's going on. If I have been sanctioned, I have not been told. If I have been removed from benefit for some other reason, I have not been told. I have no idea what's going on and I am now behind by well over £1500.

I'm poorly and I'm tired. I'm sick of fighting. I'm also aware that this self-pitying rant will get me nowhere, that I am not the only person this sort of thing is happening to, and giving up is precisely what the bastards running DWP now want me to do because they do not give a shit.

I haven't been commenting much here or elsewhere in the past few days because my mood is so down. I've been reading though - and it seems to me that the whole bloody country is feeling pissed off and it shows in the nasty comments in the media from journalists, politicians, and the new army of ill-informed trolls on all news comment sites who are pushing vicious divide-and-rule propaganda. The responsibility for this can be laid on the doorstep of Number Ten; and I am getting more fearful by the day that the Tories will get in again.

I'm sure I'll get my mojo back at some point. But it isn't working right now and I'm in need of a break. I just don't know how to have one.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

ephemerid wrote:Good morning everyone.

It's my birthday today and I have got a huge bunch of flowers and some very wicked chocolate cake. And some lovely messages and cards.

I'm very low at the moment; although I have plenty to be grateful for, I'm finding the anger and frustration is beginning to take its' toll and I am losing my fight.
At 59, I can't "retire" as planned next year; that's not retirement from work, as I've been incapable of that for several years - and here I am in this battle with DWP.

Despite having full entitlement to Support Group ESA, my payments stopped a few months ago and nobody can or will tell me why. My claim is, apparently, being administered clerically so there is no information available to the helpline operators as they can only deal with inquiries on claims that are live on the system.
I have written many letters, asked for many call-backs, and done everything I can to find out what's going on. If I have been sanctioned, I have not been told. If I have been removed from benefit for some other reason, I have not been told. I have no idea what's going on and I am now behind by well over £1500.

I'm poorly and I'm tired. I'm sick of fighting. I'm also aware that this self-pitying rant will get me nowhere, that I am not the only person this sort of thing is happening to, and giving up is precisely what the bastards running DWP now want me to do because they do not give a shit.

I haven't been commenting much here or elsewhere in the past few days because my mood is so down. I've been reading though - and it seems to me that the whole bloody country is feeling pissed off and it shows in the nasty comments in the media from journalists, politicians, and the new army of ill-informed trolls on all news comment sites who are pushing vicious divide-and-rule propaganda. The responsibility for this can be laid on the doorstep of Number Ten; and I am getting more fearful by the day that the Tories will get in again.

I'm sure I'll get my mojo back at some point. But it isn't working right now and I'm in need of a break. I just don't know how to have one.
Hi, Ephemerid, and Happy Birthday! Hope a slice of your gorgeous sounding cake will cheer you up. I'd noticed your absence, your posts make me smile, laugh out load or howl with anger, and it's good to have those reactions when mostly you aren't able to feel much. Must be impossibly frustrating to be in your situation, not knowing what is happening. It sounds like the DWP may well have mislaid your stuff in the system, and that's why its not showing. I'm sure you know to shout for the people as high up in the chain as you can manage. I had something similar in 2009, and it was hard, frustrating and uphill work to get sorted, but sorted it was eventually. And in my favour and I got a backdated payment. So please don't lose hope. If in doubt there is the law, DPAC maybe able to help you get what you need, for no cost.

It's February, just and the lowest point of the year for campaigners and activists, attrition sets in, and we are at a new start point in the election campaign and it really has notched up in nastiness. You are not alone in feeling this weariness, it's really been a long slog, and the renewed tirade is disheartening, but take hope from this, it would not be there if not for the fear of it going the wrong way for them, and the nastier it gets the more obvious it is. The people who couldn't see through it a year ago are seeing it now, and starting to realise what their own lack of insight could lead to. I've seen more people this week say, I really want to vote Labour but can I trust them, than I have in a year. Nobody talking Gordon's gold, or other such nonsense, and fewer shouts of New labour. Except of course the NAts, who might needs brain surgery to remove the wooden bits.

The trolls are certainly out in full force, had an amusing one the other day when trolls realised they'd been trying to persuade trolls to switch allegiance. It was well worth the trouble of taking them on, they vanished like a puff of smelly hot air and sanity was restored for a while! But that's cyberspace, it has its own dynamic, and in the real world it is early spring, and will soon be beautiful. Enjoy as much as you can of that, having a single short walk, last week, after many months of immobility was so restorative, I know it is cold, but in spite of everything, there is so much to love and so much real beauty in the world, just grab yourself some of it, and let it seep past the weariness. What a great day for your birthday, a time when nature is remaking itself anew.

I'll miss this beauty, because I leave in 48 hours, it's been the longest and shortest week I can remember, and been fraught with uncertainty, the cat didn't get to my older son yesterday, his lift didn't materialise, it's about to cost me a bomb, two way taxi to another town :-( and I got a brown envelope with 11 pages on DLA and PIP, that contained a bombshell about going away for over 4 weeks - I'm going for six, and everything else says I'm allowed thirteen - that had to be dealt with on a Friday afternoon. I'm not really sure what it presages, in one place it says I'll be called up soon and to expect a letter about PIP, and in another it says people of my age will be called after 2015. It's utterly ambiguous! My Monday, which was to have been for rest before we leave, will now be filled with advice centre appointments and letter writing to try and pre-empt things I couldn't have foreseen. I'm in a morass of anxiety about whether going away is going to trigger change of circumstance events when I'm not there to even see what's come through my letterbox! Add a son who is utterly determined he will not sign on again..... anyway, I'm thanking Dave Matthews and his success for my chance to go home, and my lovely brother. Which reminds me how interdependent we all are, which is something the barstewards in power haven't a clue about. It bears remembering and reminding people of right now, because where would we be without each other. It's our real wealth.

0The pensions thing, especially for women is beyond absurd, and could do with a campaign of its own. Or at least some awareness raising on negative impact for disabled people. But if you can, let that go for enough time to restore your spirit. I wish you and everyone here hope, love, renewal of spirit, and some movement towards national sanity. (I'll be back shortly laden with estate grown tea and some of the best, freshest cinnamon in the world) :hug:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Hugs to Ephemerid. Very hard not to be depressed by the current situation ... and fearful for the future. Hope you can keep well and safe and emerge into better times. I wish that for all of us affected by the things you describe so powerfully.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Bon voyage seeingclearly. May you have a wonderful time back in your home country. Look forward to hearing all about it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Liberal Democrats reveal Bracknell election candidate

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... on-8555013
2010 General Election.
Cons 52.40%
LibDems 22.30%
Lab 16.80%
UKIP 4.40%
Others 4.10%

UKIP won the Euro elections last year.

Methinks the percentages are going to be a lot different in May.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Oh wonderful. On BBC Wales we've got Plaid, the Greens and SNP signing up to an anti austerity alliance - and talk of more joint Plaid / Green tickets in Wales in the future. People need to seriously wake up to how conflicted Plaid is - the rural side is utterly different from the valleys / former mining communities support.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Most of us have felt like ephie now does at some point, if we are being totally honest. The last four and a half years have been pretty brutal.

Now might just be a good time to take a break, the next few months are absolutely vital to the future of this country.

And the Tories are still highly beatable - its February and they still can't get ahead in the polls. Maybe that might cheer you (and others) up :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Many happy returns, Ephie, just enjoy the day if you can. Take it all one day at a time and remember, you're not alone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Torfaen - looks an absolutely beautiful place!

I did some rudimentary searching on the Torfaen constituency & Paul Murphy.
He's been an MP for the area since 1987.
In 2010 he received 45% of the votes cast.
2005 - 41%
2001 - 46%
1997 - 57%
1992 - 44%

Get this from a post left yesterday on that webpage
JOHN CHANIN
I agree that the seat is trending away from Labour at a glacial pace. This will make it interesting in the second half of the present century, but I will certainly be dead by then.
January 31st, 2015 at 8:03 pm
It's only just now I realise the commentator means 'glacial' in a literal sense, as in moving at the speed of an aeon.

Who do you like to stand, 51A?

I realise you're not a new friend to the site but allow me to thank you for being here.

P.S. I've done some more research on Mr. Paul Murphy. He's a good man. He'll be missed in Parliament.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

SeeingClearly:

Save journey. We'll be looking forward to hearing from you on your return...Have a lovely time.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Oh, gracious, Ephemerid! Happy birthday, my dear friend! Oh, I'm sorry you're low. Oh, please hold on with a light heart. I love you.

J
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Happy Birthday Ephie, that cake sounds delicious. :hug:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dear Ephie. Take heart. As SeeingClearly says, this is a difficult time of year and the whole world seems to be in turmoil.

Stay strong. These things pass even though it might not feel like it at the time.

Virtual Hugs XXXXXXX
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

seeingclearly wrote:

Hi, Ephemerid, and Happy Birthday! Hope a slice of your gorgeous sounding cake will cheer you up. I'd noticed your absence, your posts make me smile, laugh out load or howl with anger, and it's good to have those reactions when mostly you aren't able to feel much. Must be impossibly frustrating to be in your situation, not knowing what is happening. It sounds like the DWP may well have mislaid your stuff in the system, and that's why its not showing. I'm sure you know to shout for the people as high up in the chain as you can manage. I had something similar in 2009, and it was hard, frustrating and uphill work to get sorted, but sorted it was eventually. And in my favour and I got a backdated payment. So please don't lose hope. If in doubt there is the law, DPAC maybe able to help you get what you need, for no cost.

It's February, just and the lowest point of the year for campaigners and activists, attrition sets in, and we are at a new start point in the election campaign and it really has notched up in nastiness. You are not alone in feeling this weariness, it's really been a long slog, and the renewed tirade is disheartening, but take hope from this, it would not be there if not for the fear of it going the wrong way for them, and the nastier it gets the more obvious it is. The people who couldn't see through it a year ago are seeing it now, and starting to realise what their own lack of insight could lead to. I've seen more people this week say, I really want to vote Labour but can I trust them, than I have in a year. Nobody talking Gordon's gold, or other such nonsense, and fewer shouts of New labour. Except of course the NAts, who might needs brain surgery to remove the wooden bits.

The trolls are certainly out in full force, had an amusing one the other day when trolls realised they'd been trying to persuade trolls to switch allegiance. It was well worth the trouble of taking them on, they vanished like a puff of smelly hot air and sanity was restored for a while! But that's cyberspace, it has its own dynamic, and in the real world it is early spring, and will soon be beautiful. Enjoy as much as you can of that, having a single short walk, last week, after many months of immobility was so restorative, I know it is cold, but in spite of everything, there is so much to love and so much real beauty in the world, just grab yourself some of it, and let it seep past the weariness. What a great day for your birthday, a time when nature is remaking itself anew.

I'll miss this beauty, because I leave in 48 hours, it's been the longest and shortest week I can remember, and been fraught with uncertainty, the cat didn't get to my older son yesterday, his lift didn't materialise, it's about to cost me a bomb, two way taxi to another town :-( and I got a brown envelope with 11 pages on DLA and PIP, that contained a bombshell about going away for over 4 weeks - I'm going for six, and everything else says I'm allowed thirteen - that had to be dealt with on a Friday afternoon. I'm not really sure what it presages, in one place it says I'll be called up soon and to expect a letter about PIP, and in another it says people of my age will be called after 2015. It's utterly ambiguous! My Monday, which was to have been for rest before we leave, will now be filled with advice centre appointments and letter writing to try and pre-empt things I couldn't have foreseen. I'm in a morass of anxiety about whether going away is going to trigger change of circumstance events when I'm not there to even see what's come through my letterbox! Add a son who is utterly determined he will not sign on again..... anyway, I'm thanking Dave Matthews and his success for my chance to go home, and my lovely brother. Which reminds me how interdependent we all are, which is something the barstewards in power haven't a clue about. It bears remembering and reminding people of right now, because where would we be without each other. It's our real wealth.

0The pensions thing, especially for women is beyond absurd, and could do with a campaign of its own. Or at least some awareness raising on negative impact for disabled people. But if you can, let that go for enough time to restore your spirit. I wish you and everyone here hope, love, renewal of spirit, and some movement towards national sanity. (I'll be back shortly laden with estate grown tea and some of the best, freshest cinnamon in the world) :hug:
Vaya con Dios - good journey to you. You're loved.

J
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Duhhhh. What am I thinking of...And happy birthday Ephie. Flowers and a chocolate cake. Perfect.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Ephies, I meant it about the law. You have rights in the matter, legal ones. Here's a link that might help, http://www.lawcentres.org.uk
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Matt Gibson retweeted
What is Politics ‏@Whatis_Politics 4 mins4 minutes ago
Missed Clegg's interview on The Last Leg on Friday? Read a blow-by-blow account here

http://www.whatispolitics.co.uk/?p=1289 #bbcsp #SundayPolitics
Just in case anyone wants to hear self deception on a grand scale.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I have a small flat porch roof and put food for the birds on it during the winter.
Last night I put an extra load out thinking it would be plenty, but have just watched a flock of seagulls descend and a crow is sitting on the roof of the house opposite looking very pissed.
Gulls around here only come this close to the house when they're getting desperate.

I'd better go and have a rummage in the cupboard and see what else I can find...
Rednorth
Backbencher

Post by Rednorth »

Happy birthday. Sorry to hear of your travails. So unnecessary, so common, so bloody neoliberal Britain in the 21st century. Whatever happened to the relatively kind and compassionate country I grew up in? Thatcher? Murdoch? Blair?

Sorry I'm not much use for raising spirits at the moment, I'm pretty down myself, due to my condition and due to the swines that run the country. As I put in my first post - these are dark times.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Just echoing the good wishes to Ephie. :hug:
Sorry to hear you are low, hope you enjoy that cake !

Trying times, anxious times at the moment though, so not surprising that you feel that way, and the DWP messing you around is unbelievable.
Is your MP able to help find out what they are playing at ?

'Taking a break' sounds a good idea.
My own method at the moment is keeping busy and researching local history as well as undertaking some art projects based on the local landscape. It is helping keep my anxiety/low mood at bay.

Roll on May, then we'll know what we will have to contend with.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Rednorth wrote:Whatever happened to the relatively kind and compassionate country I grew up in? Thatcher? Murdoch? Blair?
Yes.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

On the anti-Ed "Labour" members. Is there some reason why they don't get that they have exactly the party they're looking for, headed by a couple of toffs resident at nos 10 and 11 Downing Street. Is it just that they haven't got "the sense God gave to a clam**"?

(**just watching Fargo with Martin Freeman on Netflix)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

This looks interesting.
In the lead up to the 2015 General Election, we're launching our #79Rewind campaign via The Open University Twitter accountExternal link . Each week, we'll be tweeting key milestones from the 1979 election campaign that correspond with the 2015 election countdown.

Here on OpenLearn, you'll find a wealth of content from our academics comparing and contrasting the two events as well as some interesting archive materials. Anyone fancy reading Thatcher's beauty tips, for example? Or have any of the structural economic problems faced by the UK back in 1979 been resolved?

http://www.open.edu/openlearn/people-po ... genomu_568" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

UN set to reject Andrew Lansley for key humanitarian role
Britain’s diplomatic status is threatened as critics say traditional UK humanitarian affairs role should not go to ‘failed politicians’

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ed-nations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

citizenJA wrote:UN set to reject Andrew Lansley for key humanitarian role
Britain’s diplomatic status is threatened as critics say traditional UK humanitarian affairs role should not go to ‘failed politicians’

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ed-nations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Really?

Oh, excellent news!

Quite why a sacked minister whose legacy is an Act which even Stepehn Dorrell says is a disaster is suitable for that role was beyond all comprehension.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Oh please let it be so....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Response to comments by Stefano Pessina, Executive Chairman of Alliance Boots - Chuka Umunna

Chuka Umunna MP, Labour’s Shadow Business Secretary, responding to reports of comments by Stefano Pessina, Executive Chairman of Alliance Boots today, said:

“It is important that the voice of business is heard during this General Election campaign, not least on Europe. But the British people and British businesses will draw their own conclusions when those who don’t live here, don’t pay tax in this country and lead firms that reportedly avoid making a fair contribution in what they pay purport to know what is in Britain’s best interests.”

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1097748 ... -executive
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I'm useless at writing words that matter, I can never get them into an order that says anything meaningful.
So I'll just add to the thoughts and wishes people have expressed all ready with - Hang on in there! The end of this motley crew that rule over us is in sight.
Hugs and best birthday wishes.
xxxxx
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The great tax heist
To service Britain's terrifying debt, the middle classes are paying ever more tax. Yet a group of the country's biggest firms are moving offshore - and denying the UK exchequer hundreds of millions

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3QVZuXduD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can't believe it. The Daily Mail evidently doesn't do irony. The owner doesn't pay any tax either.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

My respect for the UN just grew.

Cameron's judgement now being inflicted on other countries and international structures ... and making the UK look pretty shabby for having elected this embarrassing hamface.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Danny Blanchflower ‏@D_Blanchflower 4 hrs4 hours ago New Hampshire, USA

Sunday Times/YouGov have topline figures of ,

LAB 35%,
CON 32%
UKIP 15%
LDEM 7%, ,
GRN 6%

doesnt fit the Times/Telegraph Crosby inspired spin
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Richard Murphy, of whom I'm often sceptical, points out that the Labour business policy on Your Britain might have displeased Mr Boots.

http://www.yourbritain.org.uk/uploads/e ... xation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a bit there about tax treatment of debt financing, which is very important in the private equity model.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 34m34 minutes ago
The @theSNP call for one of the 7 party leader #TVdebates to be held in Scotland
Cue another round of demands that will make Cameron's excuses easier and more plentiful.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I hadn't realised just how barkingly tribal Rentoul is:

This extract from his latest piece, which is about him compiling a fantasy cabinet regardless of party ...,
Quite unexpectedly, Jeremy Hunt has the edge over Andy Burnham at Health. After the Great Unforced Error of this parliament, Andrew Lansley’s top-down disorganisation of the NHS, Hunt has been remarkably effective in restoring the service to an even keel. Burnham, on the other hand, has pursued a scare-mongering campaign of such cynicism that it inspires little confidence in his ability to manage Europe’s largest employer.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ele ... 15871.html
proves my point. Anybody who thinks Hunt has restored the NHS to an even keel ... is beyond description.

And there's plenty more like that. The only surprise is how much he seems to rate Ed Balls.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Just a reminder that Esther McVey ,is appearing before the DWP select committee,regarding sanctions.Next Wednesday at 09.30,for those interested.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... nctions-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Benali Hamdache @GreenBenali · Jan 28
Feel it's time for some sort of pact between Plaid Cymru & Wales Green Party. Standing down in target seats? http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... rs-living-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

A poster on Twitter saying Boots have avoided 1.21 billions in tax. If Ed can do something about making companies pay a bit more tax, he'll make a lot more fans.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I hadn't realised just how barkingly tribal Rentoul is:

This extract from his latest piece, which is about him compiling a fantasy cabinet regardless of party ...,
Quite unexpectedly, Jeremy Hunt has the edge over Andy Burnham at Health. After the Great Unforced Error of this parliament, Andrew Lansley’s top-down disorganisation of the NHS, Hunt has been remarkably effective in restoring the service to an even keel. Burnham, on the other hand, has pursued a scare-mongering campaign of such cynicism that it inspires little confidence in his ability to manage Europe’s largest employer.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ele ... 15871.html
proves my point. Anybody who thinks Hunt has restored the NHS to an even keel ... is beyond description.

And there's plenty more like that. The only surprise is how much he seems to rate Ed Balls.
So missing that the Sec of State has lost control of the NHS.