Saturday 31st January & Sunday 1st February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 31st January & Sunday 1st February 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

What has made Smithson come out with this tweet now?
Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 1h 1 hour ago
@BrindDon @DPJHodges has not got over his famous declaration that David Miliband had won LAB leadership in Sept 2010 http://bit.ly/1yp3VVC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The old article by Hodges that he links to - is very funny now - absurdly declamatory and I know everythingish. Plus it's poor writing.
Working on the wild side.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

matty_blueberry ‏@matty_blueberry · 7m7 minutes ago
My response to comments of @BootsUK CEO Stefano Pessina. #CutUpYourBootsCard #boots
:lol:
Attachments
B8xdPyACAAEUxR0.jpg
B8xdPyACAAEUxR0.jpg (23.53 KiB) Viewed 12627 times
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:What has made Smithson come out with this tweet now?
@BrindDon @DPJHodges has not got over his famous declaration that David Miliband had won LAB leadership in Sept 2010 http://bit.ly/1yp3VVC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The old article by Hodges that he links to - is very funny now - absurdly declamatory and I know everythingish. Plus it's poor writing.
Does he do any other kind of writing?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I'm probably rambling but:

The NHS buys from Boots. Perhaps they get a good deal because Boots is such a big company. Not totally sure that's how it is, but just for a moment suppose it is and lets call it a few millions saving.
The crunch is Boots doesn't pay full UK tax. 1.21 billion is avoided.
What if Boots were told pay your share or lose the contract with the NHS and Boots refused. Suppose a company that does pay its fair share of tax took over supplying the NHS.

If these tax avoiding companies managed to wiggle out of legislation, and in reply Ed refused to award them government contracts, that has to be a better financial deal for the country overall, or am I wrong?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

ohsocynical wrote:I'm probably rambling but:

The NHS buys from Boots. Perhaps they get a good deal because Boots is such a big company. Not totally sure that's how it is, but just for a moment suppose it is and lets call it a few millions saving.
What if Boots were told pay your share or lose the contract with the NHS and Boots refused. Suppose a company that does pay its fair share of tax took over supplying the NHS.

If these tax avoiding companies managed to wiggle out of legislation, and in reply Ed refused to award them government contracts, that has to be a better financial deal for the country overall, or am I wrong?
Our local hospital has a Lloyds pharmacy in the reception, wonder where Lloyds are based? They used to be a small local based firm but now seem nation wide.
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

Hello all,does anyone know what this "stand up and be counted " is. All I have seen is it's a sky and facebook thingy. I think it's young people asking the leaders questions but how we watch it I don't know,it's taking place at 9 tomorrow night.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Stand Up Be Counted ‏@SkySUBC 7m7 minutes ago

.@Ed_Miliband's joining us for #AskTheLeaders tomorrow.

Watch live on http://FB.com/SkySUBC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and @SkyNews from 9am
I read recently that Dave wasn't going to do this one either. I wonder if he's changed his mind?
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

ok thanks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JustMom wrote:Hello all,does anyone know what this "stand up and be counted " is. All I have seen is it's a sky and facebook thingy. I think it's young people asking the leaders questions but how we watch it I don't know,it's taking place at 9 tomorrow night.

Snap. We must have posted at the same time. :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:

Our local hospital has a Lloyds pharmacy in the reception, wonder where Lloyds are based? They used to be a small local based firm but now seem nation wide.
We don't have any independent chemists around here. They're all Lloyds, and they're awful. Disorganised. At least our local one is.
Sainsbury's have a dispensing chemist, but are too far from our doctors. I've had the odd prescription filled there and they seem to be very good.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tory Party – fresh from attacking Britain’s wild birds – are now turning on bats
https://tompride.wordpress.com/2015/02/ ... g-on-bats/
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Untitled4.png
Untitled4.png (215.04 KiB) Viewed 12542 times
The battle for NE Somerset is really hotting up.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AngryAsWell wrote:

According to Companies House, they are still a UK registered business with no overseas components. So that's something...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

refitman wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:

According to Companies House, they are still a UK registered business with no overseas components. So that's something...
I quite like the Lloyds pharmacy I use. Lovely, lovely staff. I regret the shop itself isn't aesthetically pleasing & carries a bewildering supply of oddities.

I have a problem. I've tried to leave Boots because they use zero-hour contracts. The shop, however, is where I or my partner can get to easily - we walk or use public transport. It's more local than the Lloyds I mentioned above & our GPs send refill prescriptions to that location.

Probably more important to me, the staff there are delightful. Damn it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

May 2015 is not the time to stop voting tactically – Mainly Macro
http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2015/02/0 ... nly-macro/
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:
Untitled4.png
The battle for NE Somerset is really hotting up.
Todd seems like an enthusiastic, involved candidate. He answered one of my Tweets about Rees-Mogg.

I really wish him well.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Owen Jones retweeted
Simon Blackwell @simonblackwell · 6h 6 hours ago
After the attack on Labour by Boots' CEO I shall be buying my fucking awful sandwiches and Anadin elsewhere.
and
Michael Dugher retweeted
Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 10h10 hours ago
To paraphrase Mrs Merton: Why would a billionaire Monaco-based tycoon who moved Boots offshore to Switzerland not like Labour?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:What has made Smithson come out with this tweet now?
Don't know. He has thought Hodges ridiculous for a while, perhaps starting when Hodges was pushing private Grant Shapps polling.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ukip takes on school for using their photos to illustrate Holocaust slideshow

UKIP will lodge a formal complaint about “political indoctrination in schools” after a picture of its leader Nigel Farage was used during assemblies about the evils of the Holocaust.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... -slideshow
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
refitman wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: Our local hospital has a Lloyds pharmacy in the reception, wonder where Lloyds are based? They used to be a small local based firm but now seem nation wide.
I quite like the Lloyds pharmacy I use. Lovely, lovely staff. I regret the shop itself isn't aesthetically pleasing & carries a bewildering supply of oddities.

I have a problem. I've tried to leave Boots because they use zero-hour contracts. The shop, however, is where I or my partner can get to easily - we walk or use public transport. It's more local than the Lloyds I mentioned above & our GPs send refill prescriptions to that location.

How weird. Our ladies in Lloyds are lovely too, but Lloyds put in a manageress and she's an absolute cow so they're very subdued these days. If there's a mistake with prescriptions she gets quite aggressive. She'll have a go at you in front of other customers. I've had words with her a couple of times.
The other week when Mr Ohso was waiting for a prescription a bloke from head office was spending the day there, and was having a go at her because of inefficiencies compared with the standards they expected in their branches, but she's still there and as sour as ever. And mistakes are still common. Whenever we go in there, there is always some poor soul trying to get a problem sorted out. Between her and the lady that handles the prescriptions at the doctors, getting the right prescription and then having it filled correctly, is a nightmare.
Also compared with before Lloyds took over the shelves are virtually bare with little choice.
I go to Sainsbury's for anything that's off prescription.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

citizenJA wrote:
refitman wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: Our local hospital has a Lloyds pharmacy in the reception, wonder where Lloyds are based? They used to be a small local based firm but now seem nation wide.

In a previous life, back in the mid-nineties, I had some dealings with a director of Lloyds. He was a very nice bloke, down to earth Midlander. The impression I got was the sudden growth in their business had left him and his fellow directors somewhat bemused.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 9m9 minutes ago
Labour has "lost the hard-earned respect of the City of London": Institute of Directors http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2ae27bf8-aa2a ... z3QVeWtZoL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Jim Pickard retweeted
Chairman Moët ‏@ChairmanMoet 5m5 minutes ago
@PickardJE is the City *really* in a position to lecture others on losing respect?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

David Cameron’s brother-in-law issues NHS warning
Cardiologist married to the prime minister’s sister speaks of ‘extraordinary challenges’ facing hospitals

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... rl-brookes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Hobiejoe wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
refitman wrote: According to Companies House, they are still a UK registered business with no overseas components. So that's something...

In a previous life, back in the mid-nineties, I had some dealings with a director of Lloyds. He was a very nice bloke, down to earth Midlander. The impression I got was the sudden growth in their business had left him and his fellow directors somewhat bemused.
I do miss the old chemist, because it was like an Aladdins cave. For any ailment you might have there were at least half a dozen remedies. And some products I'd never heard of. You could spend hours just looking.

Our Lloyds really is bare.
Rednorth
Backbencher

Post by Rednorth »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Ukip takes on school for using their photos to illustrate Holocaust slideshow

UKIP will lodge a formal complaint about “political indoctrination in schools” after a picture of its leader Nigel Farage was used during assemblies about the evils of the Holocaust.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... -slideshow
Interesting how these groups object to their comments being reported accurately.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
May 2015 is not the time to stop voting tactically – Mainly Macro
http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2015/02/0 ... nly-macro/
Simon Wren-Lewis is excellent.

He's right about Monbiot's Scotland drivel as well.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

ohsocynical wrote:
Hobiejoe wrote:
citizenJA wrote:I quite like the Lloyds pharmacy I use. Lovely, lovely staff. I regret the shop itself isn't aesthetically pleasing & carries a bewildering supply of oddities.

I do miss the old chemist, because it was like an Aladdins cave. For any ailment you might have there were at least half a dozen remedies. And some products I'd never heard of. You could spend hours just looking.

That's probably a good thing, as most OTC products are useless and ineffective. Mind you, prescription stuff is often not much better than placebo either.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

@Ephe: Many Happy Returns, beautiful lady! Enjoy your beautiful flowers and your yummy chocolate cake. I'm deeply sorry to hear that the DWP are still messing you about so badly – it might be time, in a few days, to demand that your MP act on your behalf (and, possibly, copy in Dame Anne Begg!) In the meantime, conserve your energy and know that you are loved and admired and valued xxx :hug:

@seeingclearly: Have the most wonderful time at home and return to us refreshed and restored. I sincerely hope that the advice agencies are able to set your mind at rest, tomorrow xxx :hug:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Rednorth
Backbencher

Post by Rednorth »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Rednorth wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Interesting how these groups object to their comments being reported accurately.
"Freedom of speech! Don't tell me what I can and can't say!"

"I'm outraged! How dare you say that about me!"
It always amazes me how UKIP types are forever whining about 'political correctness gorn mad', yet the minute anyone insults them they're on to the police/authorities/milk monitor etc.
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

All this talk about Boots reminds me of this old chestnut. :)
ScreenShot00143.jpg
ScreenShot00143.jpg (41.35 KiB) Viewed 12429 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

55DegreesNorth wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Hobiejoe wrote: In a previous life, back in the mid-nineties, I had some dealings with a director of Lloyds. He was a very nice bloke, down to earth Midlander. The impression I got was the sudden growth in their business had left him and his fellow directors somewhat bemused.

That's probably a good thing, as most OTC products are useless and ineffective. Mind you, prescription stuff is often not much better than placebo either.
But things like mouthwash, anti-acid medicine, anti-histamines and lots of other items I could name, which you're told by your doctor or dentist to get from the chemist? Especially if it costs less than a prescription?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Toby Latimer wrote:All this talk about Boots reminds me of this old chestnut. :)
ScreenShot00143.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Toby Latimer

Post by Toby Latimer »

ohsocynical wrote:
Toby Latimer wrote:All this talk about Boots reminds me of this old chestnut. :)
ScreenShot00143.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is a much ruder version in which the chap is a honeymooner & the bed pan is substituted for condoms, :oops:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Diane Abbott MP retweeted
Gerald.Wright ‏@GPCody60 58m58 minutes ago
Walks like a Tory talks like a Tory votes like a Tory lies like a Tory must be a Lib Dem.
Not heard that one before. Extra hard hitting.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 37m 37 minutes ago
@trevstanley @KrustyAllslopp I've often wondered what @DPJHodges will be blogging as the limo takes Ed along the Mall to see Queen
:o :lol:

Editing to add:
Jim Pickard retweeted
Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 15m15 minutes ago Camberwell, London
Mark the moment. @MSmithsonPB just called the next election for Ed Miliband. Big gamble, (literally), in his line of work...
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
@trevstanley @KrustyAllslopp I've often wondered what @DPJHodges will be blogging as the limo takes Ed along the Mall to see Queen
I'm guessing by then Danny boy'll either be on the grassy knoll with a high powered rifle, or else he'll be watching on telly, tears streaming down his face, chanting "David, David, wherefore art thou, David...?" as he plunges knitting needles into his plasticene Ed Miliband doll.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David Hencke retweeted
Pablo Collins ‏@SpectreDetector Jan 28
Lord Chief Justice blocks Theresa May from appointing serving judges to Child Sex Abuse inquiry http://wp.me/pHiYZ-3R5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @davidhencke
Sounds like she is absolutely at sea with this.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I'm guessing by then Danny boy'll either be on the grassy knoll with a high powered rifle, or else he'll be watching on telly, tears streaming down his face, chanting "David, David, wherefore art thou, David...?" as he plunges knitting needles into his plasticene Ed Miliband doll.
Terrifyingly either of those pictures seems possible. He really can't let go of it ... can he.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Paul Scriven ‏@Paulscriven 16m16 minutes ago
@Tubby_Isaacs @RTaylor_LibDem @JoeOttenX Please don't insult the public. Labour want private provision in NHS
This bloke is a peer.

My insult to the public was reminding him that figures on Coalition privatization only reflected less than 2 years of their Act being in.

He added a link to Lord Darzai who he said was the one really speaking for Labour.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 53m53 minutes ago

Ow, ow, ow.

edited to add....Snap Ernst :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
David Hencke retweeted
Lord Chief Justice blocks Theresa May from appointing serving judges to Child Sex Abuse inquiry http://wp.me/pHiYZ-3R5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @davidhencke
It makes you wonder exactly how many are too contaminated to be considered for the job.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Another good piece on Stumbling and Mumbling ... apologies if someone has already posted this link. Really like the way this person writes.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ohsocynical wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 53m53 minutes ago

Ow, ow, ow.

I struggle with Hodges. What amazes me most is that Glenda hasn't kicked the living shit out of him yet. She's well to the left and he's well to the right - what on earth do they talk about?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
@Tubby_Isaacs @RTaylor_LibDem @JoeOttenX Please don't insult the public. Labour want private provision in NHS
This bloke is a peer.

My insult to the public was reminding him that figures on Coalition privatization only reflected less than 2 years of their Act being in.

He added a link to Lord Darzai who he said was the one really speaking for Labour.
Jaw-dropping audacity on the peer's part, Tubby. I don't Tweet. I'm with you nonetheless.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
This bloke is a peer.

Those peers live very sheltered lives you know. He probably really does think the only proper spokesperson for Labour is Darzai. And since the quality of the champagne in their bar isn't what it used to be ... the old grey cells aren't quite firing as well.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 53m53 minutes ago

Ow, ow, ow.

I struggle with Hodges. What amazes me most is that Glenda hasn't kicked the living shit out of him yet. She's well to the left and he's well to the right - what on earth do they talk about?
My partner didn't realise the family connection. Didn't believe me at first, thought I'd misunderstood. I didn't take offence. I don't get it either. We all have to reconcile the DH & GJ, MP, relationship in our own way. Isn't the capacity for genetic variation, personality differences amazing?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
David Hencke retweeted
It makes you wonder exactly how many are too contaminated to be considered for the job.
It reads as though the judiciary are also seeing it the other way round now, as well - they don't wish to be contaminated by participation in this enquiry (shambles).
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

ErnstRemarx wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
He'll be too busy clearing his desk out, the Telegraph won't need a Not Very Useful Idiot. Back to loving off the trust fund for Danny boy.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

http://fromarsetoelbow.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... heory.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting commentary from a blogger I've not previous read. Nice stuff, even if he is an Arse fan!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I suspect Hodges is still writing his anti-Ed pieces because it's become almost a cult thing. He started off spitefully but found continuing in that vein earns him the most money and fame of sorts.
The Telegraph wouldn't employ him if he wrote a 'In Praise of Ed' every week. He's doing it for the money, which makes him a contemptible little shit.