Monday 2nd February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Re: Monday 2nd February 2015

Post by LadyCentauria »

HindleA wrote:https://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... t-to-hide/

"No statistics on Benefit uptake for five years,what has the DWP got to hide?"
Ooh! Can I have a guess? Is it, could it possibly be, that the numbers who should be entitled to claim but aren't doing so have been going up?

I'm sure all will be come clear when the figures for 2010/11 are finally published in May or June 2015. Or not. Along with the figures for all the years in between. Or not.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Huw Irranca-Davies ‏@IrrancaDaviesMP 2m2 minutes ago
I guess that with the hoohaa over the Greens/UKIP/etc this'll go unreported: LABOUR MEMBERSHIP HIGHEST SINCE 2005 http://labourlist.org/2015/02/almost-20 ... ourList%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Not by us Huw. But yes, it will probably fail to register in much of the MSM.
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ed's being set up for the "he slowed the economy down".

Mail leading with the stunning news Tory peer, Stuart Rose, doesn't like Ed.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Latest YouGov poll (01 - 02 Feb):
LAB - 35% (-)
CON - 33% (+1)
UKIP - 14% (-1)
LDEM - 7% (-)
GRN - 6% (-)
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Google for Luke Ellis : Some results may have been removed under data protection law in Europe. Learn more
(Search needs to refer to Luke Ellis + Labour or there are numerous returns, none of which are Cllr Ellis from Wales)

That message re data protection seems to appear on all searches for an individual- it even appears if I google my own name & I certainly have never asked for info to be removed.

Ellis has certainly had his brushes with the law so possibly he did ask for some data to be removed.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I see your Mail article on Tory peer bashing Labour and raise you:
Tessa Jowell ‏@jowellt 10m10 minutes ago
Extraordinary letter from developers attacking govt housing plan. Growing consensus ministers have got this wrong http://tinyurl.com/kku86dl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Developers condemn housing policy that risks wrecking social mix in London
Warning that affordable housing contributions exemption is ‘deeply flawed’ comes from firms that stand to benefit

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... mix-london
Britain’s biggest property companies on Monday condemned a new government policy allowing them to avoid potentially hundreds of millions of pounds in affordable housing contributions because they fear it risks wrecking the social mix of London.

British Land, Land Securities, the Crown Estate and Grosvenor Estates were among the firms who stood to benefit most from Conservative ministers’ recent exemption on developers of empty buildings paying for the construction of further affordable housing. But on Monday, a lobby group representing the firms wrote to the housing minister, Brandon Lewis, urging him to scrap the policy as it stands.

The Westminster Property Group, which includes several Tory donors, said it was “deeply flawed”. ...
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Ed's being set up for the "he slowed the economy down".

Rose is a Tory donor isn't he ?

Fancy him not liking Ed !
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Ed's being set up for the "he slowed the economy down".

You could almost set your clock at the "business bosses turn against Labour" - do you think they get a reminder on the Outlook Calendar to prime the press?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
The parent was right about the Labour website. Impossible to find anything of substance on there
I so agree with you ! The website development team are as useful as those employed by the Graun !
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

citizenJA wrote:Apologies, it's not on topic but this news has me staggered
As measles cases spread to 14 states, Obama encouraged parents to seek vaccinations for their children in an interview with NBC News scheduled to air on Monday.

A record 644 measles cases were reported in the US in 2014, the most since it was declared eliminated in 2000.
We've got scurvy & rickets making a come back in the UK.
Measles raiding the US - there's only fifty of them - fourteen US states measles spread.
That means anyone without immunisation or an isolation chamber is up a tree.
How the hell are fourteen different US states having that level contagion from a disease not prevalent in the US since the turn of the twenty-first century?
These are two 'first world' nations

I point this out because it's an indicator, a warning light flashing - an indication of degraded standards of living.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... ama-advice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Are we only to discuss America, you and I?

I think this outbreak has spread as it has because (1) a combination of hippy lefty 'vaccination bad' and libertarian righty 'don't tell me what to do' means that a worryingly large number of children have started to be unvaccinated (even though in most states schools insist on vaccination certificates to register children) and (2) this outbreak started in one of the Disney themeparks and so everyone who did get infected took the infection home with them.
I still believe in a town called Hope
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Sir Stuart [Rose] has attended numerous Tory fundraising events and carried out a review of "culture and performance" within the NHS for health secretary Jeremy Hunt. In 2009, Sir Stuart reportedly helped get Cameron's wife Samantha a £65 limited-edition polka-dot dress sold by Marks & Spencer which had sold out.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08 ... 61132.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

adam wrote:
As measles cases spread to 14 states, Obama encouraged parents to seek vaccinations for their children in an interview with NBC News scheduled to air on Monday.

A record 644 measles cases were reported in the US in 2014, the most since it was declared eliminated in 2000.
Measles raiding the US - there's only fifty of them - fourteen US states measles spread.
How the hell are fourteen different US states having that level contagion from a disease not prevalent in the US since the turn of the twenty-first century?

I point this out because it's an indicator, a warning light flashing - an indication of degraded standards of living.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... ama-advice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think this outbreak has spread as it has because (1) a combination of hippy lefty 'vaccination bad' and libertarian righty 'don't tell me what to do' means that a worryingly large number of children have started to be unvaccinated (even though in most states schools insist on vaccination certificates to register children) and (2) this outbreak started in one of the Disney themeparks and so everyone who did get infected took the infection home with them.
The single vector, Disneyland (or was it Disneyworld) reassures me.

I confess I'm still frequently looking over the G website. I seem to wander into US stories there now.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

adam wrote:

I blame Orpah Winfrey. http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-ways-opra ... for-worse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

refitman wrote:
adam wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Apologies, it's not on topic but this news has me staggered We've got scurvy & rickets making a come back in the UK.

I blame Orpah Winfrey. http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-ways-opra ... for-worse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was going to say 'And Jenny McCarthy' but then I clicked on the link :)
I still believe in a town called Hope
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm distressed over Hunty's flying off the handle at a parent.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I see your Mail article on Tory peer bashing Labour and raise you:
Tessa Jowell ‏@jowellt 10m10 minutes ago
Extraordinary letter from developers attacking govt housing plan. Growing consensus ministers have got this wrong http://tinyurl.com/kku86dl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Developers condemn housing policy that risks wrecking social mix in London
Warning that affordable housing contributions exemption is ‘deeply flawed’ comes from firms that stand to benefit

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... mix-london
Britain’s biggest property companies on Monday condemned a new government policy allowing them to avoid potentially hundreds of millions of pounds in affordable housing contributions because they fear it risks wrecking the social mix of London.

British Land, Land Securities, the Crown Estate and Grosvenor Estates were among the firms who stood to benefit most from Conservative ministers’ recent exemption on developers of empty buildings paying for the construction of further affordable housing. But on Monday, a lobby group representing the firms wrote to the housing minister, Brandon Lewis, urging him to scrap the policy as it stands.

The Westminster Property Group, which includes several Tory donors, said it was “deeply flawed”. ...
Good grief. When the developers are embarrassed by the policy, don't you think it's time you had a think about it Dave?

This'll be down to S106 and affordable housing - affordable my arse, 80% rents/cost - but the point is quite valid. This is very much a policy designed to get the Tories more contributions from the big housebuilders and those who turn Victorian terraces into a mass of one room flats. It's craven amd corrupt.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

adam wrote:

Certainly not only America. We've had some bad outbreaks of measles here in the UK during the past couple of years. A fair amount of parents who've refused to have their children vaccinated were put off by the alleged links between the vaccine and autism but some of it probably arises from measles having become such a rarity that parents had genuinely no idea just how very ill it makes children, that it can lead to serious life-threatening complications which can have long-term effects, and that it kills about one in five-thousand. "Childhood Illness" makes it sound pretty benign, when it is anything but. The last outbreak, in particular, was reported to have led to a very significant increase in the numbers of children and young people coming forward for vaccination. I hope the numbers of those vaccinated stay up, if only for the sake of the 'herd immunity' remaining high enough to protect those who cannot be vaccinated because of pre-existing health issues.

And I hope that, if nothing else, this widespread outbreak in America will persuade more parents over there to have their children vaccinated.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton @georgeeaton · 38m 38 minutes ago
Tonight's @YouGov poll: Lab 35%, Con 33%, Ukip 14%, Lib Dems 7%, Greens 6%. Polls stubbornly refusing to conform to press narrative.
and also ...
George Eaton @georgeeaton · 15m 15 minutes ago
Vince Cable defending £9,000 tuition fees on Newsnight. He wasn't so keen to when they were first introduced.
Come on Tubby. You know you want to. :D
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

LadyCentauria wrote:
adam wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Apologies, it's not on topic but this news has me staggered We've got scurvy & rickets making a come back in the UK.

Certainly not only America. We've had some bad outbreaks of measles here in the UK during the past couple of years. A fair amount of parents who've refused to have their children vaccinated were put off by the alleged links between the vaccine and autism but some of it probably arises from measles having become such a rarity that parents had genuinely no idea just how very ill it makes children, that it can lead to serious life-threatening complications which can have long-term effects, and that it kills about one in five-thousand. "Childhood Illness" makes it sound pretty benign, when it is anything but. The last outbreak, in particular, was reported to have led to a very significant increase in the numbers of children and young people coming forward for vaccination. I hope the numbers of those vaccinated stay up, if only for the sake of the 'herd immunity' remaining high enough to protect those who cannot be vaccinated because of pre-existing health issues.

And I hope that, if nothing else, this widespread outbreak in America will persuade more parents over there to have their children vaccinated.
I'm reminded of MMR jabs. I wonder how many kids the Daily Mail killed with their scare campaign? I can't seem to recall an apology from them.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

tom_watson ‏@tom_watson 8m8 minutes ago
Coalition minister at centre of abuse claims insists "I did NOT drug a boy for sex": http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/co ... ms-5094966" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
I need a WTF double-take symbol for this one. Have I been asleep while allegations of a current coalition minister being engaged in child abuse have surfaced?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Anthony Wells ‏@anthonyjwells 5m5 minutes ago
New post: YouGov/Times Scottish poll has SNP 21 points ahead http://bit.ly/1LFMglU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

Thatcher stopped Peter Hayman being named as paedophile-link civil servant
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... e-archives
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1099241 ... uture-tory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Labour pledges to defend forests from future Tory sell-off"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

GMB Sussex Branch @GMBSussexBranch · 2h 2 hours ago
Green councillors in Brighton and Hove propose to make 24 compulsory redundancies on the lowest paid in the workforce please RT

Very quiet from the greens in Brighton Hove on their proposal to cut street cleansing jobs city parks jobs and the disabled
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Green councillors in Brighton and Hove propose to make 24 compulsory redundancies on the lowest paid in the workforce please RT

Very quiet from the greens in Brighton Hove on their proposal to cut street cleansing jobs city parks jobs and the disabled
After what they've said about Labour, that's contemptible.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

We've had a light covering of snow :dance:

But I didn't see it happening :pout: