Tuesday 3rd February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 3rd February 2015

Post by refitman »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Right, that is all from tonight's edition of "Fun With Photoshop".

Night all.
Night TGS.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:Quite enjoying the BBC2 programme. Cameron pushing his phrases is toe curling, especially after seeing Charles Kennedy.
Seems like Sarah Champion is going down a storm on Twitter ... Labour MP thank goodness. I haven't watched it yet - but will having seen the reactions.
Working on the wild side.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:Quite enjoying the BBC2 programme. Cameron pushing his phrases is toe curling, especially after seeing Charles Kennedy.
Seems like Sarah Champion is going down a storm on Twitter ... Labour MP thank goodness. I haven't watched it yet - but will having seen the reactions.
Yep she came across really well IMHO.

Balls trying to get a word in with Maitlis tonight.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Freedom is not washing your hands? US senator picks bad day for health joke
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

..and on that happy note I'll say goodnight - off to wash my hands... :hose:
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

I'm sure this will be all over the front pages tomorrow and that Newsnight are clearing the decks to make room for Alun Duncan as we speak...

Tories 'retreating and shrinking'
A senior Tory MP said his party was losing votes because it no longer "understands" large parts of the UK and is not willing to take a "clear stand" on important issues for fear of offending core supporters.

"We've only got one MP in Scotland. We understand our cities, particularly our northern cities, less and less.

"We are retreating and shrinking into safe... areas which means that our overall percentage of support is diminishing. We need to understand the entire country we aspire to govern."

With polling day only just over three months away, he said the party was failing to make an impact because it had not "made a stand on things which are controversial in the short term but respected in the long term".
From the Express and Star
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/pub ... ivers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Govt dodged scrutiny of Universal Credit

"The coalition's own welfare cuts undermined Universal Credit more than its IT delays.

More damage

Yet it will cause alarm when Universal Credit's further IT-related delays emerge officially, as they will undoubtedly continue to do after the election when the almighty bodge the coalition made of its development bears fruit. Politicians of any creed would exploit this to damage their opponents at the expense of the programme. Even the Conservatives who conceived the scheme would benefit from its collapse, and the damage it would do to big government and welfare, both of which they have vowed to diminish. The purpose of the venture, then long-forgotten, would sink under the waves with the system itself, and probably its captain."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local- ... es-4922457

Campaigners call Bracknell councillors "Berkshire's fat cats" for high allowances
Yup - they deserve to be called 'fat cats'.
Considering the population they are in charge of is only around 66,000 they do well. There was a to do about Bettison's [around here his nickname is the Fat Controller] mobile phone expenses a while back, it was thousands. And he does have another job. He's on the board of an environmental waste company, which I do believe handles the recycling for Reading, Bracknell and Wokingham.
He also claims for his lunch five days a week.

And for not having a job and 'only', being a full time councillor, Dale Birch and his wife, also a councillor, are really suffering, with having to take their holidays in their villa in France. They didn't have a pot to piss in when they first went on the council; were a right scruffy pair.
When I was taking numbers at the polling station last year, he went to the newsagents, got a pack of sandwiches a bottle of juice and gleefully [honestly]showed me the receipt so he could charge it to expenses. Then showed me a copy of the Sun which was being given away that week.

I don't know how I kept my mouth shut.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Speaking of Maitlis

Yanis Varoufakis: In his own words

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31111905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He loves the BBC - well, most of the time
"As a fan of the BBC, I must say I was appalled by the depths of inaccuracy in the reporting underpinning this interview (not to mention the presenter's considerable rudeness). Still, and despite the cold wind on that balcony, it was fun!"
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Ha !
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (139.42 KiB) Viewed 9573 times
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

gilsey wrote:Speaking of Maitlis

Yanis Varoufakis: In his own words

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31111905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He loves the BBC - well, most of the time
"As a fan of the BBC, I must say I was appalled by the depths of inaccuracy in the reporting underpinning this interview (not to mention the presenter's considerable rudeness). Still, and despite the cold wind on that balcony, it was fun!"
That was Kirsty Yelling Wark wasn't it ?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Have we really got another three months of this fucking shit?

Oh, and Newsnight have got another businessman to have a go at Labour.

What the bloody hell has happened to this country?

:wall:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

So an extra 3000 people per week have been dying for the last 6 weeks and nobody noticed until Newsnight?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Spacedone wrote:So an extra 3000 people per week have been dying for the last 6 weeks and nobody noticed until Newsnight?

And with that I'm off to bed shaking my head...Waiting to see what the figures are going to be after this cold snap...It's no fun when you're old.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 13m13 minutes ago
Mail apparently has another anti-Labour businessman coming out tonight.
Who do you think it will be ....? Who's next on that letter list?

Getting sillier and sillier now. I think this is another backfire for the Tories. Don't they get that a lot of people are fed up with very well fed and rewarded businessmen telling us all what should happen ... in their own interests?

All the times we've said how thick the Tories are but then they sink to even deeper acts of stupidity.
It makes my head spin.
Going by Newsnight - Simon Woodroffe of YoSushi.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

So an ex-Labour donor shifted allegiance to the Cons in 2009 & that's Ed's fault somehow ?

Time these people lived in the same world as the rest of us. Pay your dues, support the rest of the country & then you may have your say. Opinions are gifted to each & every one of us & mine matters just as much as yours, schmuck !
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Is it me, or does Matlis look like an extra from The Simpsons?
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

ohsocynical wrote:
Spacedone wrote:So an extra 3000 people per week have been dying for the last 6 weeks and nobody noticed until Newsnight?

And with that I'm off to bed shaking my head...Waiting to see what the figures are going to be after this cold snap...It's no fun when you're old.
It's not like this cold snap has been worse than others in the last few years. Newsnight said that the death rate was due to a particularly virulent strain of flu... which apparently escaped the media's attention as it is also the first time I've heard about that too.

Funny how the death rate shoots up at exactly the same time as all our hospitals start declaring emergencies though isn't it?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Why is Balls getting grilled on specifically which business men are Labour talking to and are they giving money, when I have never heard these questions of the Tories?

And Matlis has just asked about raising corporation tax! FFS!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

@politicalhackuk: So what anti-business policies have we seen from Labour? #newsnight or is it just suggesting that businesses should pay tax

Strange isn't it how none of the media hacks ever ask them......
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Spacedone wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

It's not like this cold snap has been worse than others in the last few years. Newsnight said that the death rate was due to a particularly virulent strain of flu... which apparently escaped the media's attention as it is also the first time I've heard about that too.

Funny how the death rate shoots up at exactly the same time as all our hospitals start declaring emergencies though isn't it?
And of course the government removed funding for health advertising. I'm sure that had no effect...
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

pk1 wrote:@politicalhackuk: So what anti-business policies have we seen from Labour? #newsnight or is it just suggesting that businesses should pay tax

Strange isn't it how none of the media hacks ever ask them......
Perhaps Matlis thinks that businesses should just follow her lead: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/why-bbc-staff- ... ng-1433049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 24m24 minutes ago
Tories rebrand English votes for English laws (EVEL) as "A Fair United Kingdom". Less happy acronym #GE2015
:lol: Yes, really. They never fail to disappoint with their choice of branding, titles, phrases, photos ....
Tories seem to have forgotten the Parliament they're a part of is that of the UK. Clearly there is an issue on the West Lothian front, but I can't see what line you could consider drawing to ban UK MPs from the UK Parliament they comprise.

And what happens if you get a Scottish MP in an English seat?

:popcorn:
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: No it shouldn't. Still far too much IMO. Population of 122,400. The salaries and perks for these paid council officials - and some councillors who get 'allowances' for every position they take up on boards etc - has gone way beyond what is a reasonable level of compensation for their role and responsibilities.

Sounds like some of the 'ruling' IPPG group on the council still thought it should be even more than this - if this is what our Labour group leader and PPC had to say:
That is seriously taking the piss. Our chief exec is on about 90 grand (a very big number from where I stand for what he does) and our population isn't that short of 200,000 people. I'd be interested to know what the basic councillor allowance is, to compare it to ours.
Here you go Ernst. http://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/content ... ory_id=646 The basic is £13,300 plus £500 allowance for IT support. Then there are all kinds of travel etc perks - plus additional perks if you take on roles such as sitting on the National Parks Board ... in the region of £4,500 I believe ... and so on.
Fuck me, that's having a laugh. My allowance from the council is about seven grand a year as a councillor, and the only 'perk' I can think of is when the Planning Committee meet (all day affair) I get a hot dinner out of it. That's it. Full stop.

Who voted through such exhorbitant allowances? Need I guess?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Re Ashcroft Scottish constituency polling:

@britainelects: According to the leaked polls, fifteen seats have been polled and fourteen have the SNP ahead.

@britainelects: Amongst the polled (leaked) constituencies big names look set to lose their seats: Douglas Alexander, Danny Alexander and Margaret Curran.

(Personal opinion is that losing none of those three personalities would have me crying but worries the bejesus out of me that those seats would go SNP)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

IDS claiming he has ended the boom in benefits,which has remained broadly flat for thirty years.

It's more the bust I am concerned with
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ia ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: That is seriously taking the piss. Our chief exec is on about 90 grand (a very big number from where I stand for what he does) and our population isn't that short of 200,000 people. I'd be interested to know what the basic councillor allowance is, to compare it to ours.
Here you go Ernst. http://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/content ... ory_id=646 The basic is £13,300 plus £500 allowance for IT support. Then there are all kinds of travel etc perks - plus additional perks if you take on roles such as sitting on the National Parks Board ... in the region of £4,500 I believe ... and so on.
Fuck me, that's having a laugh. My allowance from the council is about seven grand a year as a councillor, and the only 'perk' I can think of is when the Planning Committee meet (all day affair) I get a hot dinner out of it. That's it. Full stop.

Who voted through such exhorbitant allowances? Need I guess?
They go 'oink oink' Ernst. This is symbolic of all that is wrong with Pembs CC ... it stinks ... it needs a huge clear out. I've found myself thinking I will welcome the merger with other councils that's going to be forced on them. There are gooduns in the council, of course. But the disgusting charade of people standing as independents and then joining up in the Independent Plus group as soon as they get elected - so they are not independent but part of a tight tight clique that runs on favours and so on - has gone on for a very long time. Can't wait for us to be rid of them.
Working on the wild side.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

HindleA wrote:IDS claiming he has ended the boom in benefits,which has remained broadly flat for thirty years.

It's more the bust I am concerned with
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ia ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is no end to his delusion...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... -claimants
In a particularly pernicious move on the part of the government, the law has been changed to allow the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to share universal credit claimants’ personal data with social landlords, councils and charities. The information that can be shared includes not only details of benefits, but also of debts, computer literacy and, most alarming of all, medical records.

The change, which comes into force on 13 February, is apparently to enable organisations to provide financial advice and support to stop tenants falling into rent arrears.
Rather worrying article by Clare Allan in The Guardian's Mental Health section.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@LAC

Doesn't happen to effect me ,but have been discussing this with people it will do on twitter who are very concerned.They changed the law to usurp the data protection issues.Wro g on so many levels and dangerous.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

IDS bollox based as ever on an adhoc(ie deliberately skewed to come up with the answer you want with many caveats) statistics It was delayed at least once,which rather gives the game away as to the intention.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... 51-to-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;